Openers for Europe/NA 2017

42 minutes ago, CheapJon said:

They actually covered AAs song though, and he's joined Axl before. It's pretty fkn far from a safe bet that Mike's gonna join them. Lenny Kravitz didn't join them last summer. Slash joined Wolfmother like once? 

Chances are slim no matter how awesome it could be.

Well, meaning he is an influence of theirs, and they've performed with him on stage in the past, just like with AA.... I probably over stated the chances, but I'd still bet it happens.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2017 at 1:22 PM, ZoSoRose said:

The Darkness is awesome

But seriously, who ever cares that much about an opener? If the act is good to great then thats a great bonus. If not, who cares? 

when i saw them in Vegas it was Alice in Chains. i had a reserved seat so i didn't show til AIC was almost done. i just wanted to see Axl Slash and Duff...GN'R baby! ;)

so Ireland gets royal blood and London gets the kills. WTF!!!! Why don't the kills go kills themselves then we might be able to get a decent fucking opener. Why cant royal blood do london as well? Never heard of the kills, so thought I'd give them a chance and listen to them, but they're totally fucking lame. Completely the wrong vibe to support g'n'r. Really fucking disappointed. Was hoping for a kick ass day of rock music, looks like I'll only get a couple of hours. We have definitely got the worst support so far by far. I can't imagine axl, duff or slash listening to these no hopers. Can't understand how they've been booked for one of the biggest shows in years. Hope they realise their mistake and get someone decent. Doubtful!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

A lot of the time the headliners too :lol:

Except they're all tarts who walk offstage now because 'that bottle could've killed me!'...that plastic bottle of Evian thrown by some mung bean eating hippie with all strength in his arms of a cancer patients last wank.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Except they're all tarts who walk offstage now because 'that bottle could've killed me!'...that plastic bottle of Evian thrown by some mung bean eating hippie with all strength in his arms of a cancer patients last wank.

People throw all kinds of shit though. Not just Evian. Like this one time, in a Guns show, someone threw rocks at Axl. Camera on this fucker.

Edited by Rovim

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

People throw all kinds of shit though. Not just Evian. Like this one time in a Guns show, someone threw rocks at Axl. Camera on this fucker.

Yeah and he stopped the fuckin' show like a tart and threatened to walk off.  Now imagine Iggy Pop walking off cuz someone threw a bottle at him.  Or The Pistols back in the day.  

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah and he stopped the fuckin' show like a tart and threatened to walk off.  Now imagine Iggy Pop walking off cuz someone threw a bottle at him.  Or The Pistols back in the day.  

I suppose you have a point there. But I can't imagine Axl cutting himself either and how many like Iggy Pop and the Pistols? the problem with giving these artists as an example is that they are different animals. Not divas, quite the opposite, so I expect Axl to behave more like any regular person that gets something thrown at them. You shut it down.

You don't shut it down if you're not homosexual or a pussy, I respect that, but Axl takes it personally instead of using it like Iggy and the Pistols.

You can't blame someone for stopping a show if they got rocks thrown at them. Think about it, you pay for a ticket and then you throw rocks at Axl lol. One time someone took a shit, picked it up, and threw it on stage at a Twisted Sister show. They didn't stop which was unfortunate for the crowd, so sometimes it's a good thing. You take a break from the show to beat some people up and throw a tantrum. Riots only made Gn'R bigger. "dude, heard what Axl did yesterday at St. Louis? that ginger is crazy!"

Edited by Rovim

8 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I suppose. But I can't imagine Axl cutting himself either and how many like Iggy Pop and the Pistols? the problem with giving these artists as an example is that they are different animals. Not divas, quite the opposite, so I expect Axl to behave more like any regular person that gets something thrown at them. You shut it down.

You don't shut it down if you're not homosexual or a pussy, I respect that, but Axl takes it personally instead of using it like Iggy and Sex Pistols.

You can't blame someone for stopping a show if they got rocks thrown at them. Think about it, you pay for a ticket and then you throw rocks at Axl lol. One time someone took a shit, picked it up, and threw it on stage at a Twisted Sisters show. They didn't stop which was unfortunate for the crowd, so sometimes it's a good thing. You take a break from the show to beat some people up and throw a tantrum. Riots only made Gn'R bigger. "dude, heard what Axl did yesterday at St. Louise? that ginger is so crazy! what an asshole."

Iggy and The Pistols minded as well, they didn't enjoy getting shit slung at em, they just weren't about to let it stop what they were doing and were prepared to meet it with the requisite bottle.  They didn't give a fuck basically.  And they are not unique in this regard, Black Flag got it, FEAR, The Damned, The Clash, all these bands got it...but they didn't give a fuck and had the mentality of 'fuck you'.  They had guts and they were on a mission and nothing was gonna stop them.

And y'know what?  You win crowds over like that!  The Pistols got met with pure hostility in San Antonio, pigs heads, rats, rotten fruit, bottles, coins, they got EVERYTHING slung at em but they fronted it out and played their gig and, lo and behold, by the end the front few rows were REALLY into it and the papers next day read 'PISTOLS WIN SAN ANTONIO SHOOT OUT!' instead of 'lead singer stomps off in a huff because someone took a picture of him'.  The Pistols went about picking up the coins too and keeping the money :lol:  Along with shouts from John of 'cameras, can we have a coupla cameras?' :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

Iggy and The Pistols minded as well, they didn't enjoy getting shit slung at em, they just weren't about to let it stop what they were doing and were prepared to meet it with the requisite bottle.  They didn't give a fuck basically.  And they are not unique in this regard, Black Flag got it, FEAR, The Damned, The Clash, all these bands got it...but they didn't give a fuck and had the mentality of 'fuck you'.  

And y'know what?  You win crowds over like that!  The Pistols got met with pure hostility in San Antonio, pigs heads, rats, rotten fruit, bottles, coins, they got EVERYTHING slung at em but they fronted it out and played their gig and, lo and behold, by the end the front few rows were REALLY into it and the papers next day read 'PISTOLS WIN SAN ANTONIO SHOOT OUT!' instead of 'lead singer stomps off in a huff because someone took a picture of him'.

I know they didn't like it and the rest as well. Didn't you read my post? you win crowds like that, that's what I meant by "using it". But you know... every person is different, every musician, so when it comes to shit like how do you deal with hostility, and you take into consideration Axl's personality and how he probably viewed Guns at the time and his problem with violence, like Slash said if someone looked at Axl the wrong way he would get into a fight with them.

My point with this example is not how tough Axl was. The Vince Neil incident, not even showing up after the impressive intro, also highlights some of Axl's personality traits.

This means you can't expect Axl to brush it off and spit back at them and make it legendary. Less to do with how badass/a pussy he is. More to do with how he views it, it offends him too much is my guess. He probably never saw past it's hostile, and those motherfuckers how dare they.

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Iggy and The Pistols minded as well, they didn't enjoy getting shit slung at em, they just weren't about to let it stop what they were doing and were prepared to meet it with the requisite bottle.  They didn't give a fuck basically.  And they are not unique in this regard, Black Flag got it, FEAR, The Damned, The Clash, all these bands got it...but they didn't give a fuck and had the mentality of 'fuck you'.  They had guts and they were on a mission and nothing was gonna stop them.

And y'know what?  You win crowds over like that!  The Pistols got met with pure hostility in San Antonio, pigs heads, rats, rotten fruit, bottles, coins, they got EVERYTHING slung at em but they fronted it out and played their gig and, lo and behold, by the end the front few rows were REALLY into it and the papers next day read 'PISTOLS WIN SAN ANTONIO SHOOT OUT!' instead of 'lead singer stomps off in a huff because someone took a picture of him'.  The Pistols went about picking up the coins too and keeping the money :lol:  Along with shouts from John of 'cameras, can we have a coupla cameras?' :lol:

That was Johnny, but not John :lol: I was at a festival where P.I.L. were to headline, and they refused to take the stage because bottles and coins were thrown at the band that was playing before them. The other band finished their set despite that and then it was announced that the PIL show was postponed. What followed was a "St. Louis": riot, stage- equipment burnt and whatnot. 20 years later he came with the Pistols reunion; shit was thrown and some of it got him on the face and he bled, but they finished the gig (iirc he just said something). Either he was back in Pistols mode or he remembered what happened the last time he was here :lol:

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

This means you can't expect Axl to brush it off and spit back at them and make it legendary. Less to do with how badass/a pussy he is. More to do with how he views it, it offends him too much is my guess. He probably never saw past it's hostile, and those motherfuckers how dare they.

Axl was more "receptive" to these things in the early days (or he had his days). There is a story about a festival GnR had played with mostly punk bands where the crowd was spitting and throwing shti at them and they were spitting back. It seems to me that at some point after they made it big he was seeing the gigs as "battles" in a war of control between him and the fans that he had to win; it was something similar to his excuse for being late: "it's MY show,  it's already too much for me that I'm here because I wasn't ready etc".

• Like 1

That was Johnny, but not John :lol: I was at a festival where P.I.L. were to headline, and they refused to take the stage because bottles and coins were thrown at the band that was playing before them. The other band finished their set despite that and then it was announced that the PIL show was postponed. What followed was a "St. Louis": riot, stage- equipment burnt and whatnot. 20 years later he came with the Pistols reunion; shit was thrown and some of it got him on the face and he bled, but they finished the gig (iirc he just said something). Either he was back in Pistols mode or he remembered what happened the last time he was here 

He got his head split open a few months in Chile and carried on...i think perhaps there were ulterior motives for not taking the stage on that occasion.  Ever hear of the famous PiL Ritz riot?  'destroy the screen and we will destroy you'...didn't quite work out that way :lol:

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

That was Johnny, but not John :lol: I was at a festival where P.I.L. were to headline, and they refused to take the stage because bottles and coins were thrown at the band that was playing before them. The other band finished their set despite that and then it was announced that the PIL show was postponed. What followed was a "St. Louis": riot, stage- equipment burnt and whatnot. 20 years later he came with the Pistols reunion; shit was thrown and some of it got him on the face and he bled, but they finished the gig (iirc he just said something). Either he was back in Pistols mode or he remembered what happened the last time he was here :lol:

Axl was more "receptive" to these things in the early days (or he had his days). There is a story about a festival GnR had played with mostly punk bands where the crowd was spitting and throwing shti at them and they were spitting back. It seems to me that at some point after they made it big he was seeing the gigs as "battles" in a war of control between him and the fans that he had to win; it was something similar to his excuse for being late: "it's MY show,  it's already too much for me that I'm here because I wasn't ready etc".

It's all Lemmys fault :lol: Axl used to just knock the bottles of piss out of the air with his cat like reflexes until Donington 88 when he says Lemmy gave him a bollocking for letting the crowd throw shit at the stage. Thanks Lem :awesomeface:

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

It's all Lemmys fault :lol: Axl used to just knock the bottles of piss out of the air with his cat like reflexes until Donington 88 when he says Lemmy gave him a bollocking for letting the crowd throw shit at the stage. Thanks Lem :awesomeface:

Ah yes, I remember that he said something like "Lemmy told me that... and when Lemmy speaks..." :lol:

Swell. So Axl wasn't always a pussy diva on stage, he just got good advice and became rich and big headed. Or didn't want to get hurt anymore or risk the chance of his ironed out hair getting fucked.

Totally forgot about Lemlem saying that. I guess there are 2 ways of looking at it, it depends on if that's just the nature of the beast for you as an artist, getting rotten tomatoes thrown at you, or maybe you think they're just out ta get and the punky edge of it is not good enough of a reason anymore to keep it going and not just pull the plug.

If you just keep entertaining them it's like a consent it's ok to do it in a way. Does have enabling factor to it and invites just more shit to deal with. If that's not really what Axl was about, I can see how he might have thought it was appropriate in the jungle but once he made it, it didn't make sense to just take it.

Edited by Rovim

Geez. He's a pussy because he doesn't want to get hurt by a rock or any other, potentially deadly, object that is being hurled on stage?? Wow. Keyboard warriors at  their best. I wanna see how you react, when performing on a stage and things come flying at you from out of nowhere. No performer should ever have to go through that.

Yes, Twisted Sister went through that in England and won the crowd over, as they always do. They were one of the best live bands around and those fuckers in the crowd are idiots for throwing stuff, just because they were put off by their outfits.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

He got his head split open a few months in Chile and carried on...i think perhaps there were ulterior motives for not taking the stage on that occasion.  Ever hear of the famous PiL Ritz riot?  'destroy the screen and we will destroy you'...didn't quite work out that way :lol:

Yes, I've heard about the Ritz, that was about 7 years earlier than the occasion I'm talking about though. I don't think there were other reasons for not playing, because the thing was covered in the press with reports and interviews with the other bands, managers etc. The situation was somewhat odd because it was a free festival and there was political shit involved (but the bands had no idea about that). An article (Sounds magazine) from back then about the events:

http://www.mic.gr/sites/default/files/live_review/images/2010/03/33664_1.jpg

http://www.mic.gr/sites/default/files/live_review/images/2010/03/33664_2.jpg

Just now, Blackstar said:

Yes, I've heard about the Ritz, that was about 7 years earlier than the occasion I'm talking about though. I don't think there were other reasons for not playing, because the thing was covered in the press with reports and interviews with the other bands, managers etc. The situation was somewhat odd because it was a free festival and there was political shit involved (but the bands had no idea about that). An article (Sounds magazine) from back then about the events:

http://www.mic.gr/sites/default/files/live_review/images/2010/03/33664_1.jpg

http://www.mic.gr/sites/default/files/live_review/images/2010/03/33664_2.jpg

Ive heard of it, bit of a PiL fan actually, they're the band I've seen the most live (about 6 times i think)