09/01/17 - Vancouver, BC - BC Place Stadium

Estranged Reality

5 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Cool notes. It's crazy, there wasn't a single show in 2010 where he didn't nail Til effortlessly when he was raspy as fuck but falsetto it seems harder for him to project some nights. 

Yea, I'm sure it'd be harder for him to belt it out like he did in 2010, but he just sounded very tired on it last night. Full-on 'Grandpa Axl' mode for that one...

2 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea, I'm sure it'd be harder for him to belt it out like he did in 2010, but he just sounded very tired on it last night. Full-on 'Grandpa Axl' mode for that one...

He need a brake...and few ac/dc gigs. :P

10 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Only consolation I can take from his light switch approach is that when they go into the studio to record a new album (choosing to be optimistic here) he'll sound awesome.  

The lightswitch has been obvious for years, apart from anomalies like VMAs and when he hadn't prepared like Rio '11. There's so much on the line now with insurance and promoters that it's fair enough he's careful with his voice. 

i love axl again pretty much he picks his spots but when he hits them nobody touches him i really hope he doesn't hang them up and keeps evolving even with covers and hopefully some new stuff - still young relatively speaking and he's winning back the world - if he would even disband from gnr for a bit and write something with izzy that would be a cool break for him 

axl needs to have O-5 to outdo NITL and reintroduce songs like reckless life into the setlist tho and win all old school die hards with the originals

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

I was at the show in 1993 when axl and slash were last in vancouver together..had the shirt on from that night last night.  As a lifelong fan and a reader here since the dark days and an active watcher of of most of the NITL tour, all i have to say is last nights show far exceeded my expectations. Yes we got a few little surprises which was a real treat, but this band last night was incredible.  Ive seen a lot of shows, but axls voice filling the arena is something i will never forget. Some may not like his voice or choices he makes on how to use it but what i was watching was a generational frontman and i for one feel privileged to have witnessed what i did last night for over 3 hours.  And yes it is the fanboy in me, but man it was great to see him smiling the entire show

• Like 1

On 9/1/2017 at 8:52 PM, Derick said:

Someone get what Axl sayed before Chinese?

He commented on being distracted during Brownstone (he forgot some lyrics) because a fan was wearing a T-Shirt that read "Feed Me to the Lesbians". It's funny, because I know the fan and his wife -- who attended the past 3 shows in Canada. They're ecstatic that AXL not only noticed them, but actually commented on it in between songs. Not long after, someone from the GN'R camp actually took his picture and posted it on the GN'R instagram page. It's a bit of solace since they had been unsuccessful in trying to meet AXL in Regina and Edmonton. I told them this is a lot more cool in that many fans get to meet the band members, but not many become a small part of the show! :headbang:

Edited by thunderram
  • GNFNR 1

11 minutes ago, thunderram said:

He commented on being distracted during Brownstone (he forgot some lyrics) because a fan was wearing a T-Shirt that read "Feed Me to the Lesbians". It's funny, because I know the fan and his wife -- who attended the past 3 shows in Canada. They're ecstatic that AXL not only noticed them, but actually commented on it in between songs. Not long after, someone from the GN'R camp actually took his picture and posted it on the GN'R instagram page. It's a bit of solace since they had been unsuccessful in trying to meet AXL in Regina and Edmonton. I told them this is a lot more cool in that many fans get to meet the band members, but not many become a small part of the show! :headbang:

Hahaha...That's awesome!!! I saw this pic on the GNR Instagram Story or something like that..Nice! Thank you for sharing this!!!

I was there with my gf (while we were in the area on vacation)...what a great show. I used to post a lot more on this board years ago during the nuGNR era, but have just gotten too busy with life and haven't really been around so I haven't been able to keep on top of the GN'R news on this board every since they announced that they were reuniting. The band sounded great. While it sucks that Izzy decided not to re-join, Axl, Slash and Duff all sounded great together...like they haven't even missed a beat. Richard and Frank were also great. The only negative I have about the show is they played too many covers. I'd rather here some more older tunes than most of the covers they played. I was a bit surprised that they even played a few nuGNR tunes. Have Duff or Slash commented on those? Seems kind of odd for them to play those songs.

24 minutes ago, RJ88 said:

The only negative I have about the show is they played too many covers. I'd rather here some more older tunes than most of the covers they played. I was a bit surprised that they even played a few nuGNR tunes.

A lot of fans have the same complaint. However, a counter point has been made that they are playing as many originals as some other bands on recent tour (e.g., Metallica) it's just that they are playing a lot more songs in total. So if playing covers keeps them interested in staying on stage for 3+ hours to play 30+ songs then it's not such a bad thing IMO. Better than 2 hrs and 20 songs.

In a perfect world we'd all love for them to play every song we think they should play. That's just not the reality of it. Most bands don't play 3+ hrs of all original material. The majority that do play only original material are only playing 1-2 hrs. I'm totally fine with an extra hour of GN'R playing anything they want.

Edited by thunderram

9 minutes ago, thunderram said:

A lot of fans have the same complaint. However, a counter point has been made that they are playing as many originals as some other bands on recent tour (e.g., Metallica) it's just that they are playing a lot more songs in total. So if playing covers keeps them interested in staying on stage for 3+ hours to play 30+ songs then it's not such a bad thing IMO. Better than 2 hrs and 20 songs.

In a perfect world we'd all love for them to play every song we think they should play. That's just not the reality of it. Most bands don't play 3+ hrs of all original material. The majority that do play only original material are only playing 1-2 hrs. I'm totally fine with an extra hour of GN'R playing anything they want.

I Agree 100%.