are they still late?

51 minutes ago, DR DOOM said:

You people defending/trying to make out Axl's late starts are somehow cool are fucking morons.

There's nothing cool about making  apent up, boozy, rock and roll crowd wait four hours...there's nothing cool about making a safe, middle aged mum and dad crowd wait for hours.

There's just nothing cool about it, and trying to make out otherwise just makes you look really stupid.

Not really. I'm not waiting for something to happen while I "wait" for the show to begin. The pre show mingling is interesting to me. It was like that for a long time for countless rock bands, not just Guns, people didn't really expect the start time on the ticket to be accurate, but I understand most people don't have the time or just see it as like waiting in line. I don't.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, themadcaplaughs said:

I love watching people try to justify how "cool" it is that the band takes the stage late. It's similar to watching people try to justify how the Star Wars prequels are actually great. 

I used to be a "Late Apologist" but never in my wildest dreams would I ever try to paint it as "cool".

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I used to be a "Late Apologist" but never in my wildest dreams would I ever try to paint it as "cool".

I always struggled with that. Was hard to convince people when I saw them in 06 when they didn't start till midnight that it was worth it. 

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

No, of course you wouldn't. That would be wrong. Being punctual is one of the coolest things about Rock bands. Always was. It's how all the biggest bands in the world did it back in the day.

When did the lateness (not talking a few minutes) start?  Prior to NITL, I only saw GNR once live. 12/31/91 in Miami on the UYI tour.  I don't remember the exact time they took the stage but it must have been sort of on time.  I remember that they managed to have the countdown to 1992 happen during Paradise City.  A song (I think YCBM) was broadcast during the MTV NYE show.  Was that show pretty much on time because it had to be or did the notorious lateness not start happening yet at that point?

At the Orlando show this year, they seemed to be a little more delayed than most of the NITL shows but I think it might have been due to that interview that Axl and Duff were doing.

2 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

When did the lateness (not talking a few minutes) start?  Prior to NITL, I only saw GNR once live. 12/31/91 in Miami on the UYI tour.  I don't remember the exact time they took the stage but it must have been sort of on time.  I remember that they managed to have the countdown to 1992 happen during Paradise City.  A song (I think YCBM) was broadcast during the MTV NYE show.  Was that show pretty much on time because it had to be or did the notorious lateness not start happening yet at that point?

At the Orlando show this year, they seemed to be a little more delayed than most of the NITL shows but I think it might have been due to that interview that Axl and Duff were doing.

The lateness had started by then.  For both the Deer Creek shows in May of 1991 they were over 2 hours late for show 1 and just under 2 hours late for show 2.   

5 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Axl said he was always late. Before Gn'R was even a thing. Late to work, late to funerals, sometimes late just for the sake of being late.

Except for when he had to be on time- MTV VMA's, Freddie Mercury concert, court appearances etc..., he never pulled stunts at those type of events.  Being late on a Tuesday gig in Denver (or anywhere) was always just a power struggle play by him, nothing more, nothing less.  And now- I'm sure Slash n Duff basically said we're not playing games anymore...we're going on stage on time. 

16 hours ago, Rovim said:

No, of course you wouldn't. That would be wrong. Being punctual is one of the coolest things about Rock bands. Always was. It's how all the biggest bands in the world did it back in the day.

Nah, playing wicked rock music is what's cool about rock bands. Making sure you begin on time so the fans who paid a ticket don't have hassle with the fucking babysitter or whatever they've got going in their life isn't perse cool, more being respectful towards the people who took the time to come see you.

Edited by EvanG

4 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Nah, playing wicked rock music is what's cool about rock bands. Making sure you begin on time so the fans who paid a ticket don't have hassle with the fucking babysitter or whatever they've got going in their life isn't perse cool, more being respectful towards they people who took the time to come see you.

I respect your opinion, but you're wrong.

Edited by Rovim

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

That's fine if you think that, as long as you respect me. I will not be disrespected EvanG!

I've got nothing but respect for you, in fact, you're my favourite user on this forum. And even though you're completely nuts, I think you're one in a million, yeah that's what you are...  *runs away giggling like a school girl*

On 12/17/2016 at 3:49 AM, Rovim said:

I hope Axl is 4 fuckin' hours late for my Gn'R show, but that's just me. 

I have a different opinion. Any significantly late starts in Japan next month would mean people miss most of the show as the trains stop running after midnight.

Fortunately, this tour has shown they've nipped late starts in the bud. Their scheduled to actual starting times have been almost impeccable.

The late starts only ruin the enthusiasm of the crowd. In 2011, Buckcherry was still playing when GN'R was supposed to be on stage. Buckcherry had a full and responsive crowd; the crowd that should have been GN'R's. When Guns n' Roses took stage, the audience was already tired.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/guns-n-roses/2011/philips-arena-atlanta-ga-73d1a279.html

Here's a link to the set list. During the stretch from "Better" to "You Could Be Mine," people were leaving in the hundreds due to the late time. By the time the band took the stage for the encore ("Madagascar") the band played to an arena that was, at best, a third full. It was embarrassing. When the band started on time in 2016, however, the crowd stayed the entire show and it clearly energized the band.

Edited by themadcaplaughs

18 hours ago, Rovim said:

None of the biggest bands in the world from any era made it their business to openly disrespect their fans by regularly showing up at sporadic late times just because they didn't give a shit.