"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

23 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It (2017)

It's alright. Full of cliches such as people wandering off alone from groups, jump scares, ''Winston'', i.e., ''token black guy'' (or in this case black kid), etc etc., and felt a bit ''episodic''. 

I once tried to learn French by buying two copies of IT in French and English and reading them at the same time. 

I still can't speak French. :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I once tried to learn French by buying two copies of IT in French and English and reading them at the same time. 

I still can't speak French. :lol: 

That is a terrible way to learn a language because of the differences in grammar, syntax and so forth. It never works on a word by word basis translation. 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

That is a terrible way to learn a language because of the differences in grammar, syntax and so forth. It never works on a word by word basis translation. 

Yeah, I figured that out pretty rapidly. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Yeah, I figured that out pretty rapidly. :lol: 

Literal translations are rendered like (this is something I have just conjured up in German),

In the summer like I in the park play, because the park wonderful is. 

And there is even more difference between English and non-European languages! 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Literal translations are rendered like (this is something I have just conjured up in German),

In the summer like I in the park play, because the park wonderful is. 

And there is even more difference between English and non-European languages! 

I studied maths, chemistry and physics at A-Level and chemical engineering at Uni. You're lucky I can spell in English without stabbing myself in the eye with a pencil! :lol: 

The John Wick Trilogy.

Lovejoy is in it haha.

Anime inspired action-violence galore. Curious case of it clicking more in place with the two sequels: the first one, good as it is, felt a bit, as if they didn't know how to pitch it, and came across a tad 1990s actioner. The second-third, which run into one and another, are superior. They embraces the comic book.

Edited by DieselDaisy

On 10/10/2019 at 6:18 PM, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Old School.

Luke Wilson, Vince Vaughan & Will Ferrell.

I laughed and laughed and laughed.

That movie was so funny. I love Vince Vaughn with his kid.

The John Wick movies get better and better. Cant' wait for number 4! He kicks ass!

I do love Ian too. He's so good.

• Like 1

Death Wish remake.

Its alright for a one off little time waster but nowhere near as grim as the original.  See Bronson loses his daughter too so hes all the more helpless in that one, plus the films a lot darker and the action is less slick and Matrixey, so it comes off more realistic.  Plus Bronson ain’t as chatty as Bruce Willis, you could believe it more off of Bronson, he’s got that sort of face :lol:

Once Upon a Time in London (2017)

An above average English gangster movie about the old time gangsters Billy Hill and Jack ‘Spot’ Comer, a forgotten time of British crime history overshadowed by the Krays and Richardsons that were to come later, its been crying out to be made a movie of, Roland Makoonian is great as Mad Frankie Fraser, Jamie Foremans in there too, lurking about.  Ex Boxer Steve Collins too, who always plays a convincing hardnut, probably cuz he is one.  I feel like the missed a trick with Comer though, didn’t quite nail the East London jew of 1930s accent quite right.

Edited by Len Cnut

I watched some werewolf movie. it was terrible, but the wolves makeup and masks looked cool. The death scenes were gory as hell!

I got the dvd off amazon.com. I swear either people don't know good horror movies or they are lying about the ratings. lol

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Make sure you watch Tom Hardy's Alfie Solomons in Peaky Blinders, season two onwards. He steals every scene. 

I read that a second season of Taboo starring Tom Hardy will be back next year and aired on BBC instead of FX. I hope it's as good as the first season.

The first season was in the UK and then the characters were shipping off to America.  I love Tom Hardy. He's such a good actor.

On 9/20/2019 at 4:46 AM, Len Cnut said:

Last Blood (2019)

Its been getting fucking slaughtered in reviews, 2 stars is the best I've seen it get.

The reviews are a tad vitriolic but it's such a generic dtv-level movie. Disappointing really given the directions they could have gone in. Feels like a committee made movie where they cut corners to keep the budget low and got a by-the-numbers script to package the movie for overseas funding/distribution. Pretty much a cash-in sequel. Even the old Cannon movies from the 80's like Sly's Over the Top or Cobra had more entertainment value. Last blood had a 50 million dollar budget yet looks like a cheap straight to dvd POS with less set pieces than Rambo 4 (which had the same production budget). Where did the money go? Sly's wallet probably. He has a rep for pocketing a significant chunk of his movie budgets in salary.

The Rambo concept lends itself to some fun action adventure movies if it was given the a-list treatment but Sly is a b-movie guy and he just dumbs down the material for his movies unfortunately. The few times he's worked with a real director (one who isn't taking orders from Sly), you get more high concept fare like Creed or even Cliffhanger. There's nothing wrong with b-movies though, Bronson did a number of great ones from back in the day. Hell, Liam Neeson has been doing them well on auto-pilot for the last decade. I like b-movies if they're done well. This one just isn't. The director of Last Blood is a journeyman type but he did much better work with Mel Gibson's "Get the Gringo". And there you go. The difference between being ghost directed by Gibson vs Sly.;)

• Like 1

Marketa Lazarová (1967)

Medieval allegory on Christianity-Paganism, somewhat in the German New Wave style of Aguirre (which actually succeeded it) and others. 

Spalovač mrtvol aka The Cremator (1969)

Macabre highly original horror film.

Pelíšky aka Cosy Dens (1999)

Wonderful film. Reminds me of a German film which came out a few years later, Goodbye, Lenin!

Edited by DieselDaisy

I can’t seem to watch movies much. At home I’d rather play with the cat or lady. In the theatres I almost always fall asleep. CGI especially has a very strong effect on me to put me to sleep -it’s weird.

but the main barrier to movies is that the theatre is next to the farmers market. It would require a lot for a movie to take precedence over the purchase of kohlrabi and local sausage. And then I got to get it home. 

Crawl  5/5 Such a good movie. Plenty of jumps.

Stray It's a cable movie and it was pretty good.

2 hours ago, soon said:

I can’t seem to watch movies much. At home I’d rather play with the cat or lady. In the theatres I almost always fall asleep. CGI especially has a very strong effect on me to put me to sleep -it’s weird.

but the main barrier to movies is that the theatre is next to the farmers market. It would require a lot for a movie to take precedence over the purchase of kohlrabi and local sausage. And then I got to get it home. 

I know what you mean. I have so many dvds that I have not found the time to watch them. I still have to watch the last Avengers. Just the thought of a 3 hour movie makes me cringe. 

I watch too many tv shows both on regular channels and cable. My dvr is always recording something. Not enough hours in the day to watch all my movies. Oh well. lol

I also spend most of my time with my daughter and my family. Those times are very precious, and my cats of course.

• Like 1