Steven & Deanna Adler Reddit AMA - January 26th

3 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Well, one band who is definitely looking for a drummer is Ratt. The "Big 3"- Pearcy, DeMartini and Croucier, plus Carlos Cavazo, have just about finished the lawsuit against original drummer Bobby Blotzer. They are taking the name back and have already booked a few summer dates at US festivals. Obviously, it won't be Blotz on the skins.

I can't picture Steven's sound with Ratt, but they all crawled off the Strip and somehow survived... (Except Robbin Crosby of course)... Could work...

I read something else about Ratt after you mentioned this and I am almost certain that is who Steven is referring to.    Good call!

• Like 1

in what alt-reality is Steven currently in, that he thinks the best way to work on getting further back into the band, is to do a reddit and say he didn't really enjoy playing with the current band? Surely if he wants to play with the AFD band then he has a direct line to communicate with 1. the band members 2. each band members management. 

This is classic Steven. He got a taste of his reunion and now he wants the full cake. There are a lot of people who would also agree that the AFD 5 should get back together. But i'm of the opinion that, that was a special time and place and there's no way they can recreate that magic. Each guy is in a different head space, they've all changed musically (barre Steven and Izzy), Slash is way more restrained as a guitar player, Axl is noway near as aggressive on stage... the energy that made the classic AFD group special has changed and can never be the same again. Maybe they would still have magical chemistry but i'd guess that it would look something like current day rolling stones or Aerosmith; basically a slick touring machine.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

But i'm of the opinion that, that was a special time and place and there's no way they can recreate that magic. Each guy is in a different head space, they've all changed musically (barre Steven and Izzy), Slash is way more restrained as a guitar player, Axl is noway near as aggressive on stage... the energy that made the classic AFD group special has changed and can never be the same again. Maybe they would still have magical chemistry but i'd guess that it would look something like current day rolling stones or Aerosmith; basically a slick touring machine.

And it would still be twice as good as what we have now. Which is still good.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

How can you produce the basic - and admittedly magical - ingredient of Axl and Slash reuniting yet pull such a shite tour from that jaws of victory? They were 80% there! They had succeeded during their biggest ordeal, getting Axl and Slash in one room together! Only Guns N' Roses could then produce such a mean-spirited dog's dinner of a regrouping after that triumph of diplomacy and common sense. Consider the fact that all five band members are still alive (and sober), a luxury not awarded to the majority of ageing bands upon regrouping (e.g. Zeppelin, Doors, Queen), yet they seem determined to never be on stage together in the only combination people desire; they instead have decided to indulge in the same Axly 'Area 51' shenanigans rather than put this band back upon a proper footing. 

Their obsession with money has escalated to hitherto unimaginable proportions - they are essentially just second to Kiss now in flogging overpriced tat. How much money do they need? Their setlists are stodgier than last night's leftover pizza, and beneath it all we are left with the fact that we, in purchasing a ticket, are culpable of the same selling down the river of Stradlin and Adler, (and suffer some stupid girl air-fucking behind an unplugged keyboard!).

Nope Messrs. Rose Hudson McKagan, your two ostracised former band mates are just as important as you are and no amount of fabricated 'back problem' stories and perplexing Axlspeak will change that fact.

I probably wouldn't have went anyway if I had to travel any great distance, although I may have been tempted if this money machine rolled into Manchester or Glasgow. Not now.

Long live Adler and Izzy.

I ain't a cynic to your extent (I'll be there with my tits out at the MCG come Valentine's Day) but I'd agree with the basic premise here.

1. AFD lineup plus Dizzy (if it HAS to be done).

2. Mix up the setlists.

3. No one needs the employees around (maybe Richard if Izzy doesn't wanna tour but the rest are gay)

4. Bring the ticket prices down - it's the main complaint as to why people can't go. I paid something $1800 for 4 mates and myself on purchasing for the group. That's ridiculous.

• Like 2

Steven coming back or not, Frank still blows... From the beginning I didn't feel this Gn'R LITE line up would be strong enough for the long haul. They are going to ride this Stadium tour as long as they can and then probably ride of into the sunset. Slash and Duff are awesome.. Axl is mixed bag. From bad to mind blowing but not consistent. If he was absolutely killing it every night it would make up for the bloated stage of lack luster fill ins.  Those 3 aren't don't supply enough magic to keep the ship a float at this age.. The summer shows were great but the "reunion" could have been and should have been so much better.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

And it would still be twice as good as what we have now. Which is still good.

You're probably right that it would be better than what we currently have, but I still like the idea of the original guys appreciating what it was that they created together and leaving it alone rather than risking tarnishing things just for a few million dollars. I suppose it's almost certain that they will eventually share the stage again, and IF that turns into something more, hopefully the reason is that they all want to make music together, rather than they all want to make a quick buck off their past.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

How can you produce the basic - and admittedly magical - ingredient of Axl and Slash reuniting yet pull such a shite tour from that jaws of victory? They were 80% there! They had succeeded during their biggest ordeal, getting Axl and Slash in one room together! Only Guns N' Roses could then produce such a mean-spirited dog's dinner of a regrouping after that triumph of diplomacy and common sense. Consider the fact that all five band members are still alive (and sober), a luxury not awarded to the majority of ageing bands upon regrouping (e.g. Zeppelin, Doors, Queen), yet they seem determined to never be on stage together in the only combination people desire; they instead have decided to indulge in the same Axly 'Area 51' shenanigans rather than put this band back upon a proper footing. 

Their obsession with money has escalated to hitherto unimaginable proportions - they are essentially just second to Kiss now in flogging overpriced tat. How much money do they need? Their setlists are stodgier than last night's leftover pizza, and beneath it all we are left with the fact that we, in purchasing a ticket, are culpable of the same selling down the river of Stradlin and Adler, (and suffer some stupid girl air-fucking behind an unplugged keyboard!).

Nope Messrs. Rose Hudson McKagan, your two ostracised former band mates are just as important as you are and no amount of fabricated 'back problem' stories and perplexing Axlspeak will change that fact.

I probably wouldn't have went anyway if I had to travel any great distance, although I may have been tempted if this money machine rolled into Manchester or Glasgow. Not now.

Long live Adler and Izzy.

None of it makes any sense from a fan perspective...

...until you take into consideration that the guy who stole the corporate identity had his birth father allegedly rape him and then leave his life around age 2.  He subsequently decided to put his career in the hands of his ex-girlfriends' (who also walked out on him) nanny and the rest of her sycophant children.  Outside of this family, his closest advisor is a long-time hanger-on (now tour manager) who reminds us daily that the President isn't HIS president, and no matter your political leanings, orchestrated an on stage event that was bound to piss off at least half of the bands' fan base.

Which is all a long way of saying that Mr. Axl Rose might not be the greatest decision maker.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

You're probably right that it would be better than what we currently have, but I still like the idea of the original guys appreciating what it was that they created together and leaving it alone rather than risking tarnishing things just for a few million dollars. 

i hear ya.. That all kind of went out the window already though :/ Once we knew what the line up was going to be I was kind of let down by Slash and Duff.  They always talked about how if they were going to reunite, it would have to be right, all 5 guys. Blahh blahh blahh. 

Things change but I do wonder sometimes if they should have just left it alone. Time will tell I guess. I am glad I got to see what I did but as fun as it was, I still can't help to feel that things could have been better. I don't really think anything is tarnished at this point though. 

5 minutes ago, PeterNorth said:

None of it makes any sense from a fan perspective...

...until you take into consideration that the guy who stole the corporate identity had his birth father allegedly rape him and then leave his life around age 2.  He subsequently decided to put his career in the hands of his ex-girlfriends' (who also walked out on him) nanny and the rest of her sycophant children.  Outside of this family, his closest advisor is a long-time hanger-on (now tour manager) who reminds us daily that the President isn't HIS president, and no matter your political leanings, orchestrated an on stage event that was bound to piss off at least half of the bands' fan base.

Which is all a long way of saying that Mr. Axl Rose might not be the greatest decision maker.

Sorry but that's just wrong...:anger:

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

i hear ya.. That all kind of went out the window already though :/ Once we knew what the line up was going to be I was kind of let down by Slash and Duff.  They always talked about how if they were going to reunite, it would have to be right, all 5 guys. Blahh blahh blahh. 

Things change but I do wonder sometimes if they should have just left it alone. Time will tell I guess. I am glad I got to see what I did but as fun as it was, I still can't help to feel that things could have been better. I don't really think anything is tarnished at this point though. 

Agreed. the tarnishing would be years and years of touring with no effort to create new music.

5 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Agreed. the tarnishing would be years and years of touring with no effort to create new music.

I am actually fine with older bands that just tour on their classics.  I love Aerosmith but I wish they stopped making music 20 years ago.. The shit they have released since totally dilutes their legacy.  As long as they have the chops live. Then their is Motley Crue who released new music but just got so fucking terrible live.. Totally tarnished.. 

Every situation is different but Guns aren't there yet...

I personally would just like to know straight up if Axl and Slash plan on releasing new music together. If not, I'm not that interested anymore. We were denied more music from one of the greatest rock bands ever for 20+ years because they imploded. If a new album isn't a main priority after they somehow got past their differences...I can't support that kind of idiocy.

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

well said

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mendez said:

If anything, Duff at least likes CITR the most

He did say the song stood out to him. Duff's the kind of guy who sees the glass half full though. I think he looks at this as the lesser of all evils type of situation. "Well, I have to deal with GNR stuff, it never goes away, Axl and I are getting along and we'll at least be making a ridiculous amount of $$$ together so, here we go I guess"

55 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

Of course A$xl, $la$h and Duff$ are the ones to blame for this bullshit Gun$ n Alien$ tour

Specially Axl cause its pretty obvious that he runs the whole thing and calls most of the shots

("You call your shots and I call mine", right?)

BUT that doesnt take the blame away from these two people Richard the guitar player and Frank the drummer

The only right thing for these two people to do would be step out of it 

Walk out 

Leave 

Stay out of the way 

Let it happen

Let Guns n Roses happen

You just don't stay in the way of Guns n fucking Roses

===

Specially not after riding the ride of your life for more than a decade on the back of the best singer ever and the best rock songs ever written

Yet they stood in the way of Guns n Roses

That's what these 2 people did.

They didnt have the presence of mind to realize that (once Slash and Duff were back) leaving was the only right thing to do

To give way to Izzy Stradlin

To give way to Steven Adler

To give way to Guns n Roses

===

The good news in all this nonsense is that they still have a chance to do it

Its up to them and nobody else

I keep saying it has nothing to do with Richard and Frank. I may be wrong, but who knows.

A. They could easily keep them as background musicians and for ChiDem, UYI, and (lol) new CD leftover songs and have Izzy and Steven there on stage. PLENTY of big bands have background musicians aside from GNR... The Stones, Eagles, Pink Floyd, etc.

B. Axl could have just decided he wanted other guys there.

• Like 1