Steven & Deanna Adler Reddit AMA - January 26th

59 minutes ago, Blake Sabbath said:

Well that was a bit of a fuckin' mess..

Also, we've had our worst fears confirmed, Steven ain't gonna be behind that kit again!

Actually he said that he didn't want to play "a large portion of the NITL Tour" without Izzy,  not that he wouldn't be guesting for a show here and there this year.

People are exaggerating this whole thing in my opinion.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Padme said:

The problem with the set list is not just about Locomotive or Dust N Bones. The problem (depending to whom you ask) is CD songs, Patience and Don't Cry swap, no CD II nor any kind of new songs, The Seeker and other covers, or the order of songs in the set list. Different people have different issues with the set list. I understand that different people in different places may not care. But here fans still have the right to express their own preference. And how the shows could be better and more exciting. You said you look forward to Coma, good for you. Are you also looking forward to The Seeker? Is it The Seeker the best they can come up with?

Perfect post. I don't get why some people want to censor posters with different opinions. I mean, why would I go to the Yokohama thread, filled with videos from the concert, and say something like "I love UYI", or "Slash plays a Gibson"? Thread is dedicated to discuss the concert, how Axl sounds, what was the setlist, good moments, bad moments.... I just don't get the fanboys getting offended by so little. In a reply to a post I made saying Axl sounded like shit, one kid replied attacking the American crowd saying they suck (I'm Brazilian btw). Kid took it personally. A comment about a man he doesn't even know. I get people are passionate about their idols but this is not a Justin Bieber forum. This place is not crowded with clueless 15 year old girls.

But then again, the GNR fanbase is comprised of lunatics for the most part, I'm expecting too much from a mostly retarded fanbase.

Edited by maynard
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Ubukitty said:

It certainly is. Blaming Axl isn't fair because Stevens work ethic before GnR wasn't good, and that's coming from his former band mates. Also what Slash said about doing it for the right reasons could mean anything. Maybe the right reasons he meant were money. But on the other side of the coin if Axl stated putting the original 5 back together just wouldn't work with Izzy and Steven because of past incidences then why was he willing to work things out with Slash. I don't think it will ever be figured out and Axl will never speak about it, much less anyone else.

What?  You're ragging Stevens work ethic when he was like 18 lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Padme said:

Axl showing up 2 or 3 hours late, Axl not doing rehearsals. Is that great work ethic? Axl being resposible for riots. Axl cancelling tours. That's great work ethic, right? :rolleyes:

Most recently, Axl sounded like Mickey Mouse and being out of breath. Axl is far from being Mr. Work Ethic

Axl is not in a position to cast the first stone when it comes to work ethic

Exactly....this.  The funny thing is Axl is proving himself now for the most part and he's been given a second chance basically, he has no reason to not offer the same benevolence to Steven (especially) and Izzy.

to that end, my thought is its all just about the money (maybe even more so for Duff and Slash to be honest).

4 hours ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

Actually he said that he didn't want to play "a large portion of the NITL Tour" without Izzy,  not that he wouldn't be guesting for a show here and there this year.

People are exaggerating this whole thing in my opinion.

Thank for the clarification

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Padme said:

The problem with the set list is not just about Locomotive or Dust N Bones. The problem (depending to whom you ask) is CD songs, Patience and Don't Cry swap, no CD II nor any kind of new songs, The Seeker and other covers, or the order of songs in the set list. Different people have different issues with the set list. I understand that different people in different places may not care. But here fans still have the right to express their own preference. And how the shows could be better and more exciting. You said you look forward to Coma, good for you. Are you also looking forward to The Seeker? Is it The Seeker the best they can come up with?

Put me on the CD songs are the problem list.. Those songs are garbage and they play too many of them.. Other than that the set list is pretty good. It is a bit stale and they could shake it up a little bit. If they cut out (at least) a couple CD songs there would be more room for a little more wiggle room.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maynard said:

Perfect post. I don't get why some people want to censor posters with different opinions. I mean, why would I go to the Yokohama thread, filled with videos from the concert, and say something like "I love UYI", or "Slash plays a Gibson"? Thread is dedicated to discuss the concert, how Axl sounds, what was the setlist, good moments, bad moments.... I just don't get the fanboys getting offended by so little. In a reply to a post I made saying Axl sounded like shit, one kid replied attacking the American crowd saying they suck (I'm Brazilian btw). Kid took it personally. A comment about a man he doesn't even know. I get people are passionate about their idols but this is not a Justin Bieber forum. This place is not crowded with clueless 15 year old girls.

But then again, the GNR fanbase is comprised of lunatics for the most part, I'm expecting too much from a mostly retarded fanbase.

Thank you!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I am actually fine with older bands that just tour on their classics.  I love Aerosmith but I wish they stopped making music 20 years ago.. The shit they have released since totally dilutes their legacy.  As long as they have the chops live. Then their is Motley Crue who released new music but just got so fucking terrible live.. Totally tarnished.. 

Every situation is different but Guns aren't there yet...

Definitely agree that Crue tarnished themselves. In the studio Aerosmith have largely been a miss for the past 20+yes with the occasional gem, exceptional live though.

Guns haven't gone down the shitter, and if anything they are on the up and up; at least in terms of approval among fans and media. They are playing well and are making lots of people happy. That can last for years to come but there's a hunger for the next good/great gnr album and while people are happy now; the second the NITL tour ends the question of a new album will be the number one question on everyone's lips. 

This tour is a nice distraction from the fact that Guns haven't released a record since 2008, but it's just that and eventually once they sheen has worn off a bit people will start asking for more. And,they make release a stinker! But they could release something good too so I'd be willing to roll the dice this time seen as they pulled the pin on getting back together.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, maynard said:

I'm out of likes but THIS pretty much.

13 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I keep saying it has nothing to do with Richard and Frank. I may be wrong, but who knows.

A. They could easily keep them as background musicians and for ChiDem, UYI, and (lol) new CD leftover songs and have Izzy and Steven there on stage. PLENTY of big bands have background musicians aside from GNR... The Stones, Eagles, Pink Floyd, etc.

B. Axl could have just decided he wanted other guys there.

exactly

obvioulsy axl is the one to blame for this fiasco,

but these people should have left in the very minute that they learned that slash and duff were back

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Use Your Delusion II said:

You can put me in the camp that didn't learn much from Steven's comments on the reunion...other than that it wasn't everything he through it would be, which is disappointing but expected.  And that he'd like to be involved more if Izzy was there, I guess.  We already knew Izzy wanted in based on his tweets.  

I still don't know enough to say who are the bad guys and good guys in this whole mess.  Maybe Izzy said "yeah, I'll do the reunion if I get my equal share, but I don't want to be in your band after that.  I want to keep doing my own thing."  And maybe Axl didn't want to kick out his band mates for one tour if he really does want to keep things going and make new music.  Maybe it was just about money and greed and Axl/Slash/Duff refusing to make a reasonable offer.  I have no idea so I'm not going to pick sides based on a few pieces of information here and there.

Sometime after the 2002 VMA debacle, I had a conversation with a good friend and we agreed that, if the real GNR ever got back together, we were going to go see them.  Years passed and Chinese Democracy was finally released, the Axl/Slash feud raged on, the guys all got old, and I pretty much gave up hope.  When the pseudo-reunion finally happened last year, my friend didn't care all that much anymore but I flew to Vegas with my wife and saw them the first night.  Our seats were kind of crappy, but it was amazing.  Then I went to the 2nd Chicago show and had 7th row seats on the center aisle.  It was the best concert experience in my life by a long shot.  It absolutely sucks that Izzy and Steven want to be involved but the guys can't work it out, and the reunion would be much better with them.  However, for me, it doesn't make the shows I saw less surreal or less awesome.  I'm going to enjoy what we have now while holding out hope that the full reunion might happen one day...and you can bet your ass I'll be there for that one too.

I know, I know.  Cool story!  Whatever, we should all have cool stories from this past year.

My sentiments exactly.  If the AFD5 reunite, awesome!  Ticket sold, ass in seat.  But unlike some people around here who seemingly look for reasons to be unhappy with GNR, I'm not going to pretend that what I saw (twice) this past year wasn't anything short of amazing.  An Axl/Slash/Duff reunion and reconciliation at one point, not long ago, seemed like an absolute impossibility.  Having the two main voices of GNR back playing together in such a huge way was one of the coolest moments I've ever witnessed and something I'll always remember.

Edited by sofine11
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, tsinindy said:
7 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

You're basing this opinion on....what, exactly? 

In my opinion it was pretty obvious that Izzy's guitar was not turned on during his guest appearances with NuGuns. Izzy's chops were a major issue for Slash and Axl during the '91 tour where for some songs it was pretty clear GNR were a one guitar band. I did enjoy his live playing during the' 88 era but that was almost 30 years ago. Like it or not GNR has evolved since then and the guitar parts are far more demanding these days. Furthermore he is the only GNR member past or present who is on the record saying he would do it for the "loot."  For me the perfect scenario would be guest appearances of max 3 songs a night rotating Dust N Bones, 14 Years, Bad Obsession, Think About You. 

3 minutes ago, TOS--LOA said:

In my opinion it was pretty obvious that Izzy's guitar was not turned on during his guest appearances with NuGuns. Izzy's chops were a major issue for Slash and Axl during the '91 tour where for some songs it was pretty clear GNR were a one guitar band. I did enjoy his live playing during the' 88 era but that was almost 30 years ago. Like it or not GNR has evolved since then and the guitar parts are far more demanding these days. Furthermore he is the only GNR member past or present who is on the record saying he would do it for the "loot."  For me the perfect scenario would be guest appearances of max 3 songs a night rotating Dust N Bones, 14 Years, Bad Obsession, Think About You. 

intrresting....never heard anyone else say that about his appearances with NuGuns...you think he turned his own amp off with JuJu Hounds too?

GnR has evolved since then....uh wut?  lol

Not sure what much of the rest has to do with anything and is pretty much just an opinion without any specific basis, especially the part about him being on record "for the loot".  That isn't actually what he said first off and second....he's probably the only honest one in that way really (other than Steven who doesn't give a shit about the money).

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

intrresting....never heard anyone else say that about his appearances with NuGuns...you think he turned his own amp off with JuJu Hounds too?

GnR has evolved since then....uh wut?  lol

Not sure what much of the rest has to do with anything and is pretty much just an opinion without any specific basis, especially the part about him being on record "for the loot".  That isn't actually what he said first off and second....he's probably the only honest one in that way really (other than Steven who doesn't give a shit about the money).

I never claimed it to be anything other than an opinion based on my observations. 

Yes GNR has evolved. Listen to the Ritz '88 show then to any show on the NITL tour. The guitar interpretations of these songs has changed. I simply don't think Izzy could keep up anymore. Not to mention the fact that Izzy has not done a tour of this magnitude in 25 years. 

I know this opinion is unpopular, but hey that's what we're here for. To discuss our favorite band. 

And as far as the CD songs go, I don't see how Izzy could make any meaningful contribution to them. 

Also his "they didn't want to split the loot" comment was a bad look no matter how you interpret it. 

Edited by TOS--LOA

3 minutes ago, TOS--LOA said:

I never claimed it to be anything other than an opinion based on my observations. 

Yes GNR has evolved. Listen to the Ritz '88 show then to any show on the NITL tour. The guitar interpretations of these songs has changed. I simply don't think Izzy could keep up anymore. Not to mention the fact that Izzy has not done a tour of this magnitude in 25 years. 

I know this opinion is unpopular, but hey that's what we're here for. To discuss our favorite band. 

And as far as the CD songs go, I don't see how Izzy could make any meaningful contribution to them. 

Yeah but the guitar interpretation of the songs changed because you had people who aren't Izzy in the band.  If Izzy was in the band he doesn't need to keep up with anyone's playing style if the majority of the songs are ones he was a part of writing and performing on to begin with