Steven & Deanna Adler Reddit AMA - January 26th

Hi Steven, how surreal was it to be in a band with your friend growing up and make it big? Does your mom have any funny/interesting stories about Slash from when he was younger

[–]steven_deanna_adler[S] 

Steven: It was a dream come true. Every musician that I can imagine, having a friend that was as talented as Slash was and being able to be a part of him and his life and us doing it together was just so fun and so magical. Everything in our lives just fell into place. It's not like we had to do anything extraordinary. We just woke up in the morning and did what we did and it just worked. It was magic.

Deanna: I didn't really know Slash when he was young because Steven was living with his Grandmother and so they hung out together, of course. But I don't really have any stories about him.

Steven: It's funny, I was the bad influence on Slash. I'm the one who got him to start ditching school. And turned him onto Rock 'n Roll.

2 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Yup remember when someone said that Izzy was a little pissed with Steven for signing off on the deal allowing him to go onstage for 2 songs. 

Adler was desperate and excited at the time but now reality has struck

Clearly explains why Izzy put that cover of "stuck in the middle with you" as well.

Edited by tsinindy
  • Like 1

What's the worst experience you ever had with a fan?

Steven: Hi u/fuck_you_in_the_valley

This one girl, right after a show, I was walking to the bus and this one girl got so excited to see me that she jumped on me and pulled my back out. I had to miss like 10 shows because she hurt my back.

What's your favorite dessert

Steven: Cheesecake with whip cream. Plain New York cheesecake with whip cream in the microwave for 6 seconds.

Deanna: And my favorite dessert is chocolate cream pie with whip cream. Lots of whip cream.

When you guys finally broke out, I'm assuming you had a chance to meet alot of your idols. Who exceeded expectations for you and who disappointed you when you met them?

[–]steven_deanna_adler[S] 1

Steven: My favorite person that I have ever met was Steven Tyler, from Aerosmith. Nobody that I met has disappointed me. Everybody that I looked up to was already as cool as I thought there would be.

Holy fuck, Steven, you're the reason I ever started playing drums. Which got me to playing other instruments, which got me to be the shitty musician I am today. I love your work man.

What do you think is the coolest drum beat you've come up with to a song?

Steven: Dude, I'm sure you kickass if you've been playing that long. Keep practicing. Repetition makes the master, as I say many times, which is true. What's my favorite drum beat I came up with? There's "Rocket Queen, there's "Welcome to the Jungle", there's "Mr. Brownstone".

Deanna: "Paradise City" I like.

Steven: "Paradise City" is a great one. Every song I recorded with them I love. It was my favorite.

Deanna: And because he loves them I love them all too.

2 minutes ago, action said:

no one is going to ask him about his back?

Some did indirectly. He hasn't answered. I bet the whole thing about the back was made up to cover up the fact that the big 3 didn't want to split the "Loot"

Knowing the whole thing was initially being build as a reunion which meant most fans attending and following that first Troubadour show expecting Steven to be behind the kit at least. 

• Like 3

You are often sporting a huge infectious smile, did Deanna bestow this trait upon you

Steven: No, my grandmother did. My grandma always said, "A please and a thank you and a nice smile will get you far".

Deanna: I did it. Not my mother.

Steven: Grandma did everything.

Deanna: I did it. No! She never smiled.

Steven: She hated everybody, but me.

Deanna: She only smiled at Steven.

Deanna: My mother had 14 grandchildren and the only one she cared about was this one, Steven. That's the only one. It was amazing. People would see him and they would cry because they are so beautiful. It's true!

Steven: And this is what you grow up into

Do you have any future plans in music

Steven: Right now, I'm just practicing, having fun, and enjoying my life. I have my beautiful wife, my beautiful dogs and I just enjoy being at home and being with them. I have like 6 really good friends and I enjoy hanging out with them. So, if something does come up that I'm really interested in. There is one band that might be looking for a drummer. I'm not gonna mention their name because I have a habit of saying things and then it jinxes it, but if it does come up, it happens. If it doesn't, then so be it. That's totally cool, too.

what's your favorite color

Steven: Turquoise

Deanna: My favorite color is blue.

Steven: She's lying. It's black.

Deanna: No it's not. It's blue.

Steven: Black as night. Black as blood.

Deanna: No, he's lying. It's blue.

17 minutes ago, J3ffspicoli said:

my guess is that he still has hopes for future involvement and doesnt want to totally burn the bridge

With that comment about the magic not being there. And it's unfair for fans not to see the AFD 5. I'm not so sure. Slash and Duff may not make a big deal out of it. But Axl is another story

1 minute ago, Silent Jay said:

You are often sporting a huge infectious smile, did Deanna bestow this trait upon you

Steven: No, my grandmother did. My grandma always said, "A please and a thank you and a nice smile will get you far".

Deanna: I did it. Not my mother.

Steven: Grandma did everything.

Deanna: I did it. No! She never smiled.

Deanna: She only smiled at Steven.

Deanna: My mother had 14 grandchildren and the only one she cared about was this one, Steven. That's the only one. It was amazing. People would see him and they would cry because they are so beautiful. It's true!

Steven: And this is what you grow up into

Do you have any future plans in music

Steven: Right now, I'm just practicing, having fun, and enjoying my life. I have my beautiful wife, my beautiful dogs and I just enjoy being at home and being with them. I have like 6 really good friends and I enjoy hanging out with them. So, if something does come up that I'm really interested in. There is one band that might be looking for a drummer. I'm not gonna mention their name because I have a habit of saying things and then it jinxes it, but if it does come up, it happens. If it doesn't, then so be it. That's totally cool, too.

what's your favorite color

Steven: Turquoise

Deanna: My favorite color is blue.

Steven: She's lying. It's black.

Deanna: No it's not. It's blue.

Steven: Black as night. Black as blood.

Deanna: No, he's lying. It's blue.

"There is one band looking for a drummer"....who?

@Rovim

Hi Steven, If you had the choice to play any Guns tune other than Appetite/Lies material, which one would you choose

Steven: Back Off Bitch, Don't Cry, You Can Be Mine, Coma, Civil War.

Hi Steven, thank you for doing this! Was there a drummer who inspired you to play while growing up? Did you ever try to emulate that person

Steven: Piano because Freddie Mercury is God! If I could do anything, I would do anything close to being Freddie Mercury. Even if I had to be gay. In fact, I wish I was gay but I just don't have it in me!

• Like 1

Just now, Silent Jay said:

why not? He almost joined AC/DC during The Razors Edge era. That'd be fucking cool!! If Slade and Rudd are off obv.

And he says Axl ruined it for him with his comments. 

It's what immediately came to mind though when he wrote that, so maybe, I think it'd be great. 

What about singer though? 

Hi Steven, have any crazy stories from touring in Canada?

Steven: I love Canada. You're so lucky that you live there. Yes, we were touring with "Iron Maiden" and one night me and Nicko McBrain went out to this bar. We were in Quebec, French Canada, and it was just a beautiful town and it was snowing. Me and Nicko, we were hanging in a bar and we were doing shots. We did like maybe 8, 9 shots and then the 10th shot he did, everything was going great between us, we were having a good time, and then once he took that 10th shot, he got so crazy and turned into a different person and was going to kick my ass. All we were doing was just sitting there talking and that one drink just was the one that broke him. And you've seen this guy. This is one ugly motherfucker, okay. He'll kick your ass just by you looking at his face. So, I was all whooah, one second, one moment here, I'm gonna go outside for a second and I'm gonna come back in and we'll try this again. I walked outside and I left. I remember walking through the snow on these cobblestone streets, freezing my ass off, going what the fuck just happened? What the hell just happened?

Did you fall in love with any groupies?

Steven: Everyone of them. For the 3 minutes I was with them. Yes. If you got 4 out of me, god bless you. You lucked out that day.

Deanna: One time he told me that he had sex with over 2,000 women.

Steven: I was on drugs.

Deanna: I says, "What kind of talk is that? I'm your mother. Stop it".

Steven: I remember telling my grandfather, my grandparents. I brought a gold record to each my grandma and grandpa one day and I said, "Here grandma and grandpa. Look. I'm famous now". And my grandpa says," Yeah, that and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee". And he's right.

17 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

AC/DC :lol:

:lol:

But I think he meant GnR.

13 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

And he says Axl ruined it for him with his comments. 

It's what immediately came to mind though when he wrote that, so maybe, I think it'd be great. 

What about singer though? 

Yeah, it would be great, but It would be greater if Frank went to AC/DC and Steven to GnR :lol:

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1