The True Story Behind Dead Horse

26 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

very underrated IMO too! Yesterdays that was mentioned is another underrated song for me. great post, thanks for posting! :)

you're welcome! Would love to hear GNR play this song on their 2017 tour and see how frank plays the tune. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I love Dead Horse and I wish they would put it in the current setlist. 

Yeah love this song.

I usually listen to this when I'm down and can't deal with life's problems.

Love Axl singing "Sick of this life not that you care, etc. It is exactly how I feel except no one is messing with my car! lol

Dead Horses is a good example of how good music can make shit lyrics work if they fit the shit lyrics right.

'then when she said she was gonna like wreck my car, i didn't know what to do' is a great line though.

Edited by Len Cnut

This is definitely one of those songs that aged very well... back when I first got this album it was just the song before Coma, but now I hardly ever skip it whenever I listen to UYI 1.

I like it lyrically too because it seems to be sincere and personal, knowing what happened to him as a child. I prefer listening to lyrics like that rather then songs about drugs, life on the streets and women, which most of AFD is about.

I was only a small child
When the thought first came to me
That I'm a son of a gun and the gun of a son
That brought back the devil in me

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

It's pretty plain to see this song isn't about drugs, sex or other shenanigans that most songs on their first album were about. There are more songs on UYI, especially the ones Axl wrote the lyrics for, that are about more personal things and reference his childhood. That's all.

On 2/4/2017 at 7:52 AM, wasted said:

Does the Dead in Dead Horse have anything to do with the Dead behind the band photo on the inside cover of UYI? 

mmm not sure. Anyone know why they have Dead in the background? Did it have something to do with media coverage of the band around that time?

10 hours ago, sidman69 said:

mmm not sure. Anyone know why they have Dead in the background? Did it have something to do with media coverage of the band around that time?

Axl said the Dead refered to that line up at the time as he saw it. But what is Dead Horse about?