The GNR anything thread

2 hours ago, scooby845 said:

I'd say Dead Horse... if you're thinking rasp -wise

One in a Million showcases every aspect of his ability and you get to hear almost all of his range. Dead Horse just has that one impressive section "I ain't, quite what you'd call an old soul... " etc. I can think of way more songs that he's more versatile on.

1 hour ago, AlexC said:

One in a Million showcases every aspect of his ability and you get to hear almost all of his range. Dead Horse just has that one impressive section "I ain't, quite what you'd call an old soul... " etc. I can think of way more songs that he's more versatile on.

which ones? locomotive comes pretty close..

30 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

which ones? locomotive comes pretty close..

Patience, You're Crazy, Don't Damn Me, Knockin' on Heaven's Door, Get in the Ring, Locomotive, Ain't It Fun, Oh My God, Shackler's Revenge, Better, Street of Dreams, There Was a Time, Scraped, Riad N' the Bedouins and I.R.S.

GNR are finally coming to town, I've waited my whole life for this moment. A year ago and I would've been super stoked for the chance. Now, after seeing several concerts on YouTube, I'm not sure I wanna go. Maybe they're just so far past their prime, but I just don't think they sound all that hot anymore. Ax's voice is shot, no denying that, and Slash isn't performing too great either. Without Izzy and Steven/Matt too, and it just doesn't feel like the GNR I always wanted to see. Did anyone else have those feelings going to a show recently? 

• Like 1

Does anyone know where I can find and download some of the UYI demos with Steven playing? I know about the mates rehearsal recording and rumbo tapes. I've heard of a demo of bad apples with Steven but never been able to find it. I would love to hear that one and any others.

9 hours ago, pugachev said:

GNR are finally coming to town, I've waited my whole life for this moment. A year ago and I would've been super stoked for the chance. Now, after seeing several concerts on YouTube, I'm not sure I wanna go. Maybe they're just so far past their prime, but I just don't think they sound all that hot anymore. Ax's voice is shot, no denying that, and Slash isn't performing too great either. Without Izzy and Steven/Matt too, and it just doesn't feel like the GNR I always wanted to see. Did anyone else have those feelings going to a show recently? 

Going to an actual show is so much better than what you see on YouTube. I went last year and was too excited about seeing my favorite band to give a shit about Axl's voice. I'm going three more times this year as well. Do what you want, but going to a show is worth it

10 hours ago, pugachev said:

Youtube videos don't make justice for what you are about to see, believe me... I was a little "meh" about my gig too because I didn't think Axl was sounding that great but in the second that I heard the opening line to It's So Easy I just exploded and didn't stopped til Paradise City

17 hours ago, pugachev said:

No. Not unless the show I was going to was right at the beginning of a tour leg. That's the only time when Axl sounds legitimately bad. More often than not he's belting out songs exceptionally well. No way would someone with a "shot voice" be capable of singing at the level he's reached lately. Especially with AC/DC.

Slash is as good as ever. I don't know what made you draw the conclusion that he's not playing well because he is.

Steven has popped up a few times for a couple of songs but don't expect it to happen again. Also Izzy won't be coming back and Matt certainly won't. 

So I doubt you'd be disappointed by the performance aspect of it (provided your show isn't the first 3 or 4 shows after a long break). These guys are in their 50's not their 70's. Still great.

But if you can't get past the Izzy/Steven thing then don't bother. I think if you're a fan though you'd enjoy it regardless.

On 6/4/2017 at 7:10 AM, pugachev said:

Absolutely. 100% agree with you. A full AFD5 reunion (well, funny to call it that way: it's just GNR, all the other incarnations simply AIN'T GNR)  would have made it for me. 

As things stand right now, I'll gladly stay on the sofa. Watching a movie. Thank you very much.

2 hours ago, JustanUrchin said:

The randomness of, and interesting stories from old time fans in, this thread motivates me to contribute a few of my own random stories:

1. Adler's fourth replacement sent me a friend request on FB last July.  I never accepted, and he later withdrew the request. (It's not as inexplicable as it seems, but too much backstory to convey pecking away on a mobile).

2.  The second time that I saw Gn'R (in June '91), I had the distinct sense that this was the end of the band.  The band made the fans wait in the sweltering heat (this was before it later became public fact that this was a pattern of disrespect by the band's singer).  The singer sounded terrible. Fans were throwing all sorts of shit at the band (most of it was hitting other fans).  Izzy basically stood in place most of the show as if he had concrete blocks on his feet.  I couldn't make sense of the songs--Adler's first replacement was a metal drummer--the songs now had the feel of a english metal band. But my clearest memory, despite being latched onto the barricade at Slash's feet, Slash talking to me and my friends, Slash wearing my friend's OU hat across the stage before tossing it into the crowd, and the singer shaking (literally) my hand, was that there was a KEYBOARDIST on stage.  I shit you not. A keyboard/synthesizer was on a Gn'R stage.  Everyone, and I mean all other 8 guys I went with, could not believe there was some guy with a keyboard on stage.  The only word that fits is betrayal (at the time, though, it was just the repeated use of combinations of "fuck" and "hate" between the 9 of us, and scores more in the parking lot after the show). Gn'R was everything that Bon Jovi, Stryper, Van Halen and the like were not. Or so we'd thought.  Beyond that, NO ONE could figure out wtf (yes, people said "what the fuck" as a proper way to introduce a question back then) the guy with the keys was DOING during the songs--was he even playing? Given these facts (and atmosphere), and if it was anywhere near as hot a month or so later in St. Louis, the singer should count his Lucky Charms none of the paying customers beat his scrawny ass when he threw a hissy fit and walked off stage.

3.  Despite this, I stood outside the record store that fall for the release of UYI at midnight.  I had faith, even if many of my friends no longer did (and the music scene was shifting).  When I finally had my turn at the counter, the mom n' pop record store had cassettes, but I had a deck in my car.  It was for the best, in retrospect.  I gave both tapes a glorious go for a solid two weeks, and haven't played anything from UYI since.  By the time the singer's Liberace piano piece (with said singer in spandex shorty-shorts, a heavy dose of horns, gospel singers, Duff looking like a corpse, and some Izzy look-a-like playing Izzy parts) hit MTV, I was already pretending that I didn't own UYI.  This is when, apparently, Gn'R found glory south of America and in Europe even as it simultaneously became irrelevant in America for the next quarter century.

4. I agree with Slash, Duff and Adler's statements years later:  the band was no longer a band by '90.  But I didn't know it until June 6, 1991.  For a moment, last July, it was but one piece away.  Here's to the final fifth this July!

Fantastic post. Thank you, I truly enjoyed it.

• Like 1

People are still surprised by the amount of praise this band gets, or lack thereof...?!

I mean just look at the band. We're talking Guns N' Roses here. The most fucked-up, inconsistent and weird, yet the most unique and interesting band ever..

Why would you then expect something utterly different from their fans...?!?!

Nothing new in this weird world of GN'R fandom...

2 hours ago, JustanUrchin said:

The randomness of, and interesting stories from old time fans in, this thread motivates me to contribute a few of my own random stories:

1. Adler's fourth replacement sent me a friend request on FB last July.  I never accepted, and he later withdrew the request. (It's not as inexplicable as it seems, but too much backstory to convey pecking away on a mobile).

2.  The second time that I saw Gn'R (in June '91), I had the distinct sense that this was the end of the band.  The band made the fans wait in the sweltering heat (this was before it later became public fact that this was a pattern of disrespect by the band's singer).  The singer sounded terrible. Fans were throwing all sorts of shit at the band (most of it was hitting other fans).  Izzy basically stood in place most of the show as if he had concrete blocks on his feet.  I couldn't make sense of the songs--Adler's first replacement was a metal drummer--the songs now had the feel of a english metal band. But my clearest memory, despite being latched onto the barricade at Slash's feet, Slash talking to me and my friends, Slash wearing my friend's OU hat across the stage before tossing it into the crowd, and the singer shaking (literally) my hand, was that there was a KEYBOARDIST on stage.  I shit you not. A keyboard/synthesizer was on a Gn'R stage.  Everyone, and I mean all other 8 guys I went with, could not believe there was some guy with a keyboard on stage.  The only word that fits is betrayal (at the time, though, it was just the repeated use of combinations of "fuck" and "hate" between the 9 of us, and scores more in the parking lot after the show). Gn'R was everything that Bon Jovi, Stryper, Van Halen and the like were not. Or so we'd thought.  Beyond that, NO ONE could figure out wtf (yes, people said "what the fuck" as a proper way to introduce a question back then) the guy with the keys was DOING during the songs--was he even playing? Given these facts (and atmosphere), and if it was anywhere near as hot a month or so later in St. Louis, the singer should count his Lucky Charms none of the paying customers beat his scrawny ass when he threw a hissy fit and walked off stage.

3.  Despite this, I stood outside the record store that fall for the release of UYI at midnight.  I had faith, even if many of my friends no longer did (and the music scene was shifting).  When I finally had my turn at the counter, the mom n' pop record store had cassettes, but I had a deck in my car.  It was for the best, in retrospect.  I gave both tapes a glorious go for a solid two weeks, and haven't played anything from UYI since.  By the time the singer's Liberace piano piece (with said singer in spandex shorty-shorts, a heavy dose of horns, gospel singers, Duff looking like a corpse, and some Izzy look-a-like playing Izzy parts) hit MTV, I was already pretending that I didn't own UYI.  This is when, apparently, Gn'R found glory south of America and in Europe even as it simultaneously became irrelevant in America for the next quarter century.

4. I agree with Slash, Duff and Adler's statements years later:  the band was no longer a band by '90.  But I didn't know it until June 6, 1991.  For a moment, last July, it was but one piece away.  Here's to the final fifth this July!

Great post and a really interesting persepctive from someone who was actually there in the 80's/90's.

• Like 1

On May 31, 2017 at 0:07 PM, 2414225 said:

I'm an 80s kid and never understood the success of twitter and instagram. Who cares what someone has to say? If you have something to say, join a forum and communicate with a whole group of people with different opinions. If you have some interesting pictures, make an album on Facebook. 

Slash and Trump are the weirdest twitter celebrities out there...however the 70 year old president tops them all...

Funny thing is 00 kids think forums are mindless and stupid and much prefer the forms of social media you hate and think Facebook is archaic and irrelevant....but certainly you must be right, bc at the end of the day no one really does give a shit what anyone else thinks.

Edited by tsinindy

First message here! Sorry if my english is weak. 

I think, if band somehow would play any VR song, it should be "Sucker Train Blues" instead of Slither. STB is very GNR-style song, and it would be great to hear Axl singing it. I like Weiland, but I think Axl would nailed it. But not gonna happen.. 

30 minutes ago, Loot Man said:

First message here! Sorry if my english is weak. 

I think, if band somehow would play any VR song, it should be "Sucker Train Blues" instead of Slither. STB is very GNR-style song, and it would be great to hear Axl singing it. I like Weiland, but I think Axl would nailed it. But not gonna happen.. 

Shut up. You get Seeker, BHS and a horrible version of KOHD instead. 

To all the hater-haters: The problem with GnR is that the set the bar unreachable high between 86-93. They were the best live rock band with Queen back then. 

Gilby and Matt did a great job on tour. People were fine with them. Their sound was perfect. 

It's hard to accept that Axl's voice isn't as good as in the past. But it's simply not acceptable that you have a drummer who simply don't understand the GNR vibe. And Fortus is also a guy who don't get the specific vibe. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against 4tus and Frank, but they don't reach the perfect GnR sound from their golden era. 

If Izzy and Steven or Matt and Gilby could reach that now? I don't know. But it's simply a fact that GnR sounded different on this tour with Steven on drums. They sounded more real, authentic. 

I will not support this NuGnR X.0 version. 

• Like 1

On 4.6.2017 at 7:10 AM, pugachev said:

We have yet to here one pro shot with the exception of NR and KOHD from Coachella. I say you'll regret it, if you don't attend to a show.