A guess at the reason we are gettin so many CD tracks live

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Define 'Guns N' Roses' for me?

I define it by the assemblage of Rose, Hudson, McKagan, Stradlin, (preferably) Adler. I do not define it by a moniker on the front of a compact disc featuring the pasted noodlings of a series of hacks, journeymen and irritants - and only one of the aforementioned key dramatis personae present!

If McCartney had the temerity to stick 'Beatles' on the front cover of Band on the Run, Band on the Run would no more be 'Beatles' than Chinese is 'Guns'.

Bravo!

• Like 1

When I said the 2010 shows were better despite havin no slash I did indeed mean Axl was the best in a very longtime, plus the fact so many new songs where being performed live... Now its basically the same setlist since 2013, including now havin Slash n Duff doing the Seeker. I didn't want to admit it, but its kinda true, Its basically NuGNR with added Slash n Duff... Im not bitching havin Axl n Slash together again, its unbelievably, tho its hardly an evolution/revolution.

You because CD is a real GNR everyone put a lot of time into making and if this line up can make 3/4 as good then I'll happy, not that my happiness matters; some would prefer, well let's just ....

• 1 month later...
On ‎01‎.‎06‎.‎2017 at 2:30 PM, Silent Jay said:

Axl's performances were just incredible in 2009-2010.

Also since the reunion, Live Nation controls his behavior on-stage (zero diva hissy-fits and zero criminal behavior like inciting riots). Not real Axl.

2009/2010 were awesome years for GN'R. The only negative thing was the entry of DJ Ashba in the band

I think it's that it's not a reunion and therefore avoids the nostslgia tag. The set list just evolved to incorporate a couple of Illusion deep cuts but the set list is similar to Nu Guns with some fun reprises. My guess is Axl is very self conscious or sensitive or rightly wary to avoid the creative dead end of a full reunion cruiseship tour. Slash and Duff brings some old stuff back, Axl wears a skeleton suit but there's still a future in the line up. 

Edited by wasted

7 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think it's that it's not a reunion and therefore avoids the nostslgia tag. The set list just evolved to incorporate a couple of Illusion deep cuts but the set list is similar to Nu Guns with some fun reprises.  

They even have the same jams. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You four example.

6 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Some are different like Layla and Slash brings the Godfather solo, Duff does his punk cover instead of Tommy's Generation. 

Dizzy's SOD No Quarter or Who intro is missing, maybe replaced by Coma. 

The Seeker still there. 

So it has been an organic transition. But it would be easy to imagine Izzy coming back and they add in 14 Years, Dust n bones, Think about you. 

But I still think This I Love, Better, Chi dem are enduring GNR classics at this point. They might actually deliver more stadium thrills than Izzy's songs at this point. 

4 minutes ago, wasted said:
20 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Some are different like Layla and Slash brings the Godfather solo, Duff does his punk cover instead of Tommy's Generation. 

They've also brought back intros from the Illusions days (Only Women Bleed etc). And the long Rocket Queen jam is a thing Slash did with his band, not a NuGuns thing.

• Like 1

Just now, Blackstar said:

They've also brought back intros from the Illusions days (Only Women Bleed etc). And the long Rocket Queen jam is a thing Slash did with his band, not a NuGuns thing.

I prefer the NuGN'R version. Especially with Bucket and Brain

On 31.5.2017 at 1:50 PM, RussTCB said:

I think they're playing Chinese Democracy songs at a Guns N' Roses concert because they're songs from a Guns N' Roses album. 

Yeah, and in my opinion they are good songs, too. By playing CD songs they also play music from the entire GN'R back catalogue, which I think is the right thing to do, instead of just playing the greatest hits or the most requested songs. It highlights the entire output of the band, giving the audiences the possibility to enjoy all phases of the band, and plenty of covers, too. It doesn't cater to any specific fans, but gives everybody something to love, whether you are a diehard AFD fan, prefer UYI or CD. It varied, respectful and lots of songs for the ticket price.

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think they did Layla back in the day too. Have they done It's Alright? 

It's s hybrid band, Back to the future is the vibe I get. As always. 

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah, and in my opinion they are good songs, too. By playing CD songs they also play music from the entire GN'R back catalogue, which I think is the right thing to do, instead of just playing the greatest hits or the most requested songs. It highlights the entire output of the band, giving the audiences the possibility to enjoy all phases of the band, and plenty of covers, too. It doesn't cater to any specific fans, but gives everybody something to love, whether you are a diehard AFD fan, prefer UYI or CD. It varied, respectful and lots of songs for the ticket price.

Yes, it's what they should do because Axl put a lot into CD and it does seem like part of the GNR story. The set now is really like the Very Best of GNR. The full creative journey of GNR is there. It's just whether there's another era. I can see it going either way. If so I can't see being full fuck yeah or pure CD. They have done everything they can so far. So maybe a more hard rock CD would be something different. Slash and Duff bring some hard rock songs and Axl has some CD material. Or get the  the current live band sound on record. 

Edited by wasted

On 31.5.2017 at 1:50 PM, RussTCB said:

I think they're playing Chinese Democracy songs at a Guns N' Roses concert because they're songs from a Guns N' Roses album. 

12 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think they did Layla back in the day too. Have they done It's Alright? 

It's s hybrid band, Back to the future is the vibe I get. As always. 

No, they haven't done It's Alright (yet).

Yeah, you could call it hybrid (personnel and show-wise). But I think nostalgia is the prevalent element. I see it mostly as an Illusions (1992) "revival" with a "nu"/modern touch, and this is how most people that go to the shows get it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

No, they haven't done It's Alright (yet).

Yeah, you could call it hybrid (personnel and show-wise). But I think nostalgia is the prevalent element. I see it mostly as an Illusions (1992) "revival" with a "nu"/modern touch, and this is how most people that go to the shows get it.

In a way the CD songs could also be there for nostalgia. If that's really the mind state. It's like a recap. Or best of show. A product. Which most touring acts are now. Howeverhardtheytry

7 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

I don't think they did. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know. I think Axl did refer to Nov Rain as something like his Layla thing. 

I like Better as a song but it is rotten live, it suffers from the same problems as a lot of the CD tracks (especially the ones known to of been written in the later stages) - theres 3-4 vocal lines meaning its pretty impossible to sing with one voice and some backing vocals.

I honestly think the reason they play them live is it was called a GnR record and Richard, Frank, Axl & Dizzy played on it. There are 7 people on stage if 3 of them played on Appetite, 4 of them played on the Illusions and 4 of them played on CD. If Axl had featured on a Richard solo album with frank on drums for example and there was no CD it would be likely they'd break that out too.

More than a tip of the hat to Axl I think its a tip of the hat from Slash and Duff to Frank and Richard. (They both played on the title track and Better). This I Love is just an obvious choice as it was meant for the next GnR record back in 94/5/6

Edited by life_247

On 2 June 2017 at 11:00 PM, Sunset Gardner said:

well said, great post.  the McCartney analogy is exactly right.  could you imagine Paul going out on his own and calling it "the Beatles" just because his lawyers enabled it?  that'd be like if axl... oh wait never mind.   

It would be more convincing if there wasn't a succesful GNR record without the AFD line up. 

We are holding GNR to highest standard to convince ourselves though. The Beatles? Really? I would compare them to Van Halen or Aerosmith at first. They have records that aren't the big guys together. Then there's Floyd. Then there's Skynyrd. There's ACDC. It's not uncommon. When you're not comparing it to the biggest legends ever you see oh it could actually happen. 

But then you also have to consider the context. The human side has to be looked at. It's only when you treat them like gods that you say Oh my god blasphemy how could you make a record without such and such? At the end of the day forget that, it's just good for someone to do something. The wall of perfection is almost impossible to achieve. 

Chinese Democracy is the deep-cut album of their discography.

Better, This I Love and ChDm as wasted said above, are becoming classics.

At this day and age, there is no other epic deep cut like Estranged or Civil War: Locomotive, Breakdown, The Garden, Get In The Ring? Forget about it. Axl gives you There Was A Time, Prostitute, Catcher In The Rye and Sorry.

I said this in the other thread, but I feel it fits here too...

Sure he is proud of it, but I do feel that in his mind (and mine) it's not fully complete or fully a guns album. I think that's part of the reason he likes playing the CD songs so much now, because they sound more like guns than they ever have. So in my mind (and in Axl's imo) the songs they currently play live are finally sounding like he envisioned. 

Let's be honest here; Ashba, BBF, and arguably Buckethead and Finck were only there because Slash wasnt. So the sound Axl wanted was ALWAYS Slash, he just wanted to take THAT sound in a slightly different direction. Out of all of those guys, Finck was the only one that might have played with Slash. So his impact on CD I DO feel "belongs" because if Slash hadn't quit, than it would have been Slash and Finck writing what became CD. I know many people LOVE Buckethead (and I agree he is a great guitarist) but he would NOT of been in gnr had Slash stayed, so all things considered Finck does rank higher in terms of gnr. Ashba and BBF were always just replacement members, so there importance has ALWAYS been minimal imo. Fortus (as of now) is separate from the others (because he is the rhythm guy). So as of now he is in the same boat as Gilby imo, important to gnr legacy, both played on a gnr album. But neither are Izzy. 

So what I'm really saying here is, YES the personnel that were used to make CD I DO feel weighs on Axl's mind, just like it does on ours (fans). So even though Axl clearly LOVES some of the songs from CD, he knows they didn't quite sound like Guns on the actual album. He has said that he does feel it's a Guns n Roses album, it just took a lot of work in order to try and make that happen, and even then it still feels like it's missing something (Slash). So he probably does feel that with Slash playing those songs now, they sound like he originally intended them to sound. It's also worth noting that the songs that they ARE playing on THIS tour are the more Finck influenced ones. Yes Buckethead had his hands on Sorry and TWAT, but the songs that Buckethead helped write (shackles, etc) I bet we never hear live again. So again it does beg the question that Finck DOES indeed out rank Buckethead in terms of gnr. Finck just couldn't play the classics for his life imo, but if Slash had stayed that wouldn't of been a problem. Buckethead, BBF, and Ashba are the odd men out now. That's their order of importance to gnr history as well.

On 4/7/2017 at 3:07 PM, wasted said:

The Seeker still there. 

So it has been an organic transition. But it would be easy to imagine Izzy coming back and they add in 14 Years, Dust n bones, Think about you. 

But I still think This I Love, Better, Chi dem are enduring GNR classics at this point. They might actually deliver more stadium thrills than Izzy's songs at this point. 

What? TIL, CD and Better classics? Have you been at the shows? I have. People don't care about them. Classics are SCOM, WTTJ, PC, Don't Cry, Patience, Civil War, Nightrain. Big hits and timeless songs. Songs that make people excited and they cheer as soon as they hear the first notes of the intro

• Like 4