07/20/17 - NYC - Apollo Theater

alfierose

9 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I don't get why some people are complaining. What we got was in line with the tour, and was to be expected by those who did not hype themselves up about unsubstantiated points about Steven/Izzy or the band playing the entire Appetite discography. We all know Guns has a precedence of not living up to whatever crazy expectations fans have at any given time, and for what it's worth, it was actually a great show from the band. They done their jobs well, and it resulted in one of the better concerts of the NITL tour. I'm glad we got a great recording of the show. The complainers should learn to temper their expectations and not fall into the trap of getting hyped too easily. The band shouldn't be torn apart for doing their jobs great.

Their marketing department is hyping things up to annoying levels and ofcourse fans are setting themselves up for huge disappointment by expecting GnR to do the right thing. 

There's nothing left in the tank though for marketing - they played their last card w/ this AFD30 celebration. No Izzy/Steven for the forseeable future and therefore...diminishing returns, at least in North America. 

25 minutes ago, ironmt said:

There Is no doubt about It. He was phenomenal In AC/DC and I guarantee you that If he was to perform with them tomorrow night he would sound just like he did when he performed with them last. For whatever reason he Is going to continue singing his own material In a voice that Is hardly recognizable. I can't Imagine anyone Introducing a stranger to the band In hopes of attracting them as a permanent fan and using live versions of songs like Sweet Child O Mine, Yesterdays, My Michelle, You Could Be Mine, November Rain and Paradise City. I miss the days of not having to skip half of the setlist. 

My Michelle was AWFUL, can't listen to it. I also skip those songs, usually.

This show just proves that Axl is what he is. He sings in multiple styles, I like the AC/DC one, he likes the cleaner voice. He doesn't have an extra gear he just sings in a style and does it the best he can. I was hoping to find he had an AC/DC gear for gnr but it's just style.

sorry @downzy for the vocal mention. But this was a show I was looking forward to knowing that it would be broadcast to see if Axl had a second gear. 

9 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

It was the Great Western Forum show in Los Angeles California. August 2nd 1991.  That is the longest show by Guns ever.  Don't let these people fool you with these 2009 Japan nonsense.

The Japan show beats it with a couple of minutes...

Do your research before speaking.

Oh, and the LA show was on the 3rd, not the 2nd by the way.

Edited by youngswedishvinyl

10 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Their marketing department is hyping things up to annoying levels and ofcourse fans are setting themselves up for huge disappointment by expecting GnR to do the right thing. 

There's nothing left in the tank though for marketing - they played their last card w/ this AFD30 celebration. No Izzy/Steven for the forseeable future and therefore...diminishing returns, at least in North America. 

Their marketing department has done jack shit besides paying for some billboards here and there. It is this lack of communication which has led to fans hyping themselves up over potential surprises. Still, people should know better than to expect anything more than the bare minimum with Guns N' Roses, especially when the marketing at least consists of only a logo or two, and at most, a name of a city hosting a concert.

There's nothing left in the tank for marketing the NITL tour, and there really doesn't need to be. It will be over come the end of the year. There will be more marketing opportunities when a new album arrives or other products go on sale.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I 100% agree. 

They've played their ace cards now. They can continue this line up and make money, but other than Sth America, the stadiums will only be only half. 

They really have 2 options left if they want to stay relevant now 

1. Release new music and tour it. The chances of this are remote.

2. AFD line up tour - this looks to be even less of a chance. 

even if the returns are diminishing from here, it wouldn't bother the big 3 even slightly. They've made their millions. 

i did think of a point 3. 

They could milk this line up out to the last drop of they finish this tour and announce another tour that is a farewell tour, ie this is it. They could do this all one last time around the globe and people would go see it because that would be it, I unfortunately fall imo this category! 

Edited by Tadsy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tadsy said:

Haha cheers man! 

Min just really bummed. 

The sensible part of me knew this was going to happen. 

I didn't think izzy and Steven would actually be there, I think it's a disgrace they weren't but I knew it was long odds. 

What I am more bummed about is that there was no difference between this show and any other. 

There was no effort on GNR's part to differentiate this show at all. 

I thought they might have at least played appetite front to back. 

For example: 

Then, they could have done something different like play patience or don't cry acoustically and thrown in a few others from their back catalogue that haven't been seen so far this tour to make this show stand out. 

But nope, we get a play by play NITL show. 

And bs yeah the show itself might have sounded great but that's the minimum expectation for any fan paying BIG money in my book 

anyway, I promised myself I wouldn't be a whinging c*** haha 

but if anyone wants answers on this band being creative ever again, tonight you got your answer!  

I'm right there with you, brother. I didn't expect Izzy or Steven, but it would have been great!

I didn't expect Appetite 1-12, but it would have been great, and doable! Then they play THEIR catalogue for another hour or so.

I didn't expect Axl to sing better. We all know he only does that for unicorns and Angus.

With minimal effort, a gesture toward the fans that have been around longer than April 8th 2016 would have been appropriate. I'm sure the whole camp is congratulating each other on a fantastic performance. I can understand their thinking, but it's because they're mostly delusional. There was absolutely ZERO to be exited about if you're a harder than core fan. Coma...awesome!! Been doing it for 16 months now, and we all know it.

And I believe that if it was the AFD5, we would have had that special anniversary type show. But that would mean that we didn't have it because Axl can't get along with his greatest songwriting partner, or child-like ex drummer. Wow...

8 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

I was going by memory. So I missed it by a day, big fucking deal. I don't have to do my research,  I experienced the 80's and 90's with this band. I remember that show.

2009 is fake GNR, so it doesn't matter if they played 10 hours.  Guns n Roses longest show is LA 1991

11 minutes ago, Tadsy said:

I 100% agree. 

They've played their ace cards now. They can continue this line up and make money, but other than Sth America, the stadiums will only be only half. 

They really have 2 options left if they want to stay relevant now 

1. Release new music and tour it. The chances of this are remote.

2. AFD line up tour - this looks to be even less of a chance. 

my guy feeling is, even if the returns are diminishing from here, it wouldn't bother the big 3 even slightly. They've made their millions. 

i did think of a point 3. 

They could milk this line up out to the last drop of they finish this tour and announce another tour that is a farewell tour, ie this is it. They could do this all one last time around the globe and people would go see it because that would be it, I unfortunately fall imo this category! 

They could play the rest of their lives to arenas In the U.S. and stadiums over seas without releasing a single thing, with the current line up. Actually they could all retire with the money they have made on this tour and not do anything for the rest of their lives. I guess the choice Is theirs.

Edited by ironmt
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

It all depends how you track the time , Japan was like 3:37 and the 1991 show was 3:39 on some counts.

I was thinking 3:40 and now 4:40 

Edited by gnfnr2k

6 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Hey just FYI guys, I literally only just found out that guy Chester from Linkin Park killed himself. Me joking I would kill myself because someone said Linkin Park was an unfortunate coincidence. Sorry to anyone offended. 

Izzy and Steven or any surprises in the set??

No surprises, It was your standard NITL show in an intimate venue and soundboard quality audio. 

Edited by NicDwolfwood

10 minutes ago, ironmt said:

They could play the rest of their lives to arenas In the U.S. and stadiums over seas without releasing a single thing and with the current line up. Actually they could all retire with the money they have made on this tour and not do anything for the rest of their lives. I guess the choice Is theirs.

Totally agree with you...Some people don't understand dimension of this tour,how big it is...This will be one of the biggest tour in history of mmusic...

Some sceptical people talked same shit since tour started "Gnr can not sellout stadiums except in South America,bla bla bla"...But situation is different,they soldout almost every stadium they played.In some countries they made attendaces record...

As I can see on livenation,US stadiums shows have a great selling (about 3000-4000 tickets left per show)...

I think they have whole another year for touring (Asia,Australia) in the begging on the year,then Europe again (don't forget some big cities and countries are droped in 2016) and in the End US stadium-arenas mixes finish of the tour...

Ut everything is in their hands...

5 minutes ago, Bono said:

It's incredibly hard as a fan to look at GnR and think yeah this all kicks ass. They're are such a  joke and have been since the beginning of the CD era.  This is literally the laziest and most half assed reunion ever. they trolled the fans with all that hype about a major announcement only to announce more tour dates and then tonight was the ultimate trolling of the fans. The fact these guys hyped this the way they did and put up billboards in Times Square advertsing the 30th anniversary of AFD to then play the same old set list with absolutely nothing new, different or special added to the show is pretty much a slap in the face to fans in my opinion. It's like they're saying "we know how to suck you in butt then we'll to the absolute minimum". I'm not surprised at all and there are those that know I fully and completely predicted absolutely nothing cool to come from this show but that doesn't stop me from shaking my head in disgust.

I don't know. I just have no words anymore for the fuckery that is this band. 

I think you have brain trouble and go and watch U2...

And leave us alone here with your dumb coments...

Edited by gnrkoncerti
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bono said:

It's incredibly hard as a fan to look at GnR and think yeah this all kicks ass. They're are such a  joke and have been since the beginning of the CD era.  This is literally the laziest and most half assed reunion ever. they trolled the fans with all that hype about a major announcement only to announce more tour dates and then tonight was the ultimate trolling of the fans. The fact these guys hyped this the way they did and put up billboards in Times Square advertsing the 30th anniversary of AFD to then play the same old set list with absolutely nothing new, different or special added to the show is pretty much a slap in the face to fans in my opinion. It's like they're saying "we know how to suck you in butt then we'll to the absolute minimum". I'm not surprised at all and there are those that know I fully and completely predicted absolutely nothing cool to come from this show but that doesn't stop me from shaking my head in disgust.

I'm the same, I knew better than to expect Izzy and Steven or a major variation of the set list, but to actually play the same stock standard show we've seen for 18 months is beyond it. 

Its pure horseshit. 

Edited by Tadsy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, gnrkoncerti said:

I think you have brain trouble and go and watch U2...

And leave us alone here with your dumb coments...

I think you're a funny guy.  Leave "us" alone. Haha ok small fry. 

Edited by Bono

12 minutes ago, Bono said:

You`re perfectly right. They are so much arrogant to make something new or old one`s (i mean, play full AFD), that there is no joy to wait something excited from Mr. Wlcome to the bacery and CO. Damn, Slash, you waste your music talent for money grad. :max: