07/20/17 - NYC - Apollo Theater

alfierose

I get people are unhappy.

I have been a fan of the band from 1988 when I saw guns n roses in a circus tent in Auckland as a 12-year-old.

I have seen them live twice in my home country and travelled the world to see the band 13 times as they don’t come to New Zealand as often as North or South America.

I was one of 60.000 people who saw the band in Auckland in February of this year.    

People need to take a step back and look at things subjectively.

Axl is 55, He is not 23 anymore.

Axl is only human and his vocals are not going to be the same as when he was 23, in 2006 or 2012 as time passes over all of us

Its 2017, not the 80s or 90s

Curtain members of the past band are not part of the current band line for reasons  we don’t know officially

Axl, Slash and Duff for whatever reasons are on stage together.

Axl and Slash have put there past issues behind them It’s their business how and why and the fact they have not spoken about it points to it being personal and an ongoing healing process for them both.

The tour across continents and many countries is operating with no issues in relation to the band – Axl even hits the stage on time these

There are signs all band members are getting on very well on tour and they seem to be all happy and enjoying the experience and playing together

The shows are attracting an average of 50,000 people attending

Guns n Roses were number 2 in worldwide gross and income from touring in 2016

All the above is drawing attention to one of the greatest bands, front man, guitarists and bass players.

This in an era of EDM music or the fact most people including the music industry think Imagine Dragons and twenty-one pilots is rock music.

We can all have opinions, but when people cloud their judgment to the point that what they are saying doesn’t make sense or based on emotion they don’t see things from the outside.  

We did not think what we are getting would happen in this life time… did we…

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

Fair point. I certainly got a great show when I saw the band last year. 

I think you're underestimating fan support and word of mouth - especially in North America. Guns is not worshiped here like they are in other parts of the world. Casual fans are more than likely not going to pay to see this band more than once or twice, especially at these ticket prices. With the reunion novelty wearing off, they need hardcore fan support to keep the machine rolling. That just won't happen at this level forever unless something fundamentally changes with the way they do fan outreach. If bands like Metallica have to do fan service, GnR is not immune to this. Ultimately, it will catch up to them and hurt their bottomline. 

Remember, Axl played to half empty arenas in 2002, despite a much hyped comeback and good press from the media initially. He had burned so much fan goodwill, there wasn't much support from either the casual or hardcore fans. Both had deserted him. Not saying that's entirely the case here, but as you can see from the NA shows - there is already attrition amongst the ticket buyers. 

I know Gn'R is worshipped around the world, but to what extend? I'm not really sure. The main reason they sold out stadiums/other big venues here in Europe, is simply because it's been so long since any kind of legitimate version of this band has toured here. Yes, the NuGn'r has visited here, but that doesn't count for most people. (and not for me)

In many countries the tickets were available to the very end.  So I don't believe that they can keep touring here endlessly without  any new material and still sell out stadiums. (the arenas may be another story)

The money issue people have mentioned here: In general level I have no problem if they make lot of money with this tour. If people want to pay and are happy after the show, no problem. I myself saw them the first time in my life this summer and despite there was no Izzy and Steven - it was a great experience for me. (I still missed Izzy during the show, though)

But the disagreement with Izzy (where the money clearly was a big factor) makes me cringe and it makes the "big three" look bad in my eyes. I can't help it.  Even though I don't know the whole story, I don't believe that Izzy would have asked them anything unreasonable considering everything that the man has contributed to this band (and that is a lot) 

Edited by Fourteenbeers
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, xBrownstonex said:

It's so sweet to see so many people butthurt. It's like the band insulted them personally. Get a fucking life if things like that upset you so much. It's not healthy.

oh an besides: show me where the BAND promoted it as a appetite celebration. If you can do so, i will voluntarily listen to some u2 and vomit after.

And that's just like your opinion man. I congratulate you on having a life while the rest of us butthurt fans don't. Can you be any more condescending?  

Celebrating mediocrity and accepting table scraps from this band is a way of life for some people. Hey if you're happy with that, more power to you. That's great.

I'm fairly well versed with marketing - what they pulled was a classic bait and switch. It was deceptive. You may not agree with that and that's your right but don't act like the rest of us are crazy just because you refuse to see things for what they are.

• Like 3

I'm afraid I can't scroll through 100 pages, so if someone could please update me a little on what actually went on. If I understand correctly no new song or new deep cut surfaced? Anyone knows where I can find a setlist? No special guests, no Izzy, no Steven? ANything interesting said? How long did it last? And is the audio available anywhere now to listen to it?

Edited by Asia

I'm up to Civil War, and this sounds better than almost all of the recordings from 2016 on. Like a really good version of the SAME OLD SAME OLD show people have been bitching about for a year. Axl sounded particularly good on Brownstone (one of the iffiest songs for years now), and there's a lot of extra stuff from the band that doesn't come through at ALL on the phone recordings, particularly the CD songs. I read a few things about people complaining about Frank before 5 pages of Bono being pissy, but I haven't noticed any issues with his playing at all. It SOUNDS like it would have been a hot show to see in person.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Asia said:

I'm afraid I can't scroll through 100 pages, so if someone could please update me a little on what actually went on. If I understand correctly no new song or new deep cut surfaced? Anyone knows where I can find a setlist? No special guests, no Izzy, no Steven? ANything interesting said? How long did it last? And is the audio available anywhere now to listen to it?

Nothing happened. They played the same standard set list and didn't mention AFD 30th anniversary once. No special guests on stage, nothing really memorable about the show other than the venue itself.  They did the absolute minimum while hinting at something cool and special. Classic GnR. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bono said:

Nothing happened. They played the same standard set list and didn't mention AFD 30th anniversary once. No special guests on stage, nothing really memorable about the show other than the venue itself.  They did the absolute minimum while hinting at something cool and special. Classic GnR. 

Thanks. I'm not surprised ;)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Asia said:

http://www.a-4-d.com/t2816-2017-07-20-apollo-theater-new-york-ny-usa

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

I know Gn'R is worshipped around the world, but to what extend? I'm not really sure. The main reason they sold out stadiums/other big venues here in Europe, is simply because it's been so long since any kind of legitimate version of this band has toured here. Yes, the NuGn'r has visited here, but that doesn't count for most people. (and not for me)

In many countries the tickets were available to the very end.  So I don't believe that they can keep touring here endlessly without  any new material and still sell out stadiums. (the arenas may be another story)

The money issue people have mentioned here: In general level I have no problem if they make lot of money with this tour. If people want to pay and are happy after the show, no problem. I myself saw them the first time in my life this summer and despite there was no Izzy and Steven - it was a great experience for me. (I still missed Izzy during the show, though)

But the disagreement with Izzy (where the money clearly was a big factor) makes me cringe and it makes the "big three" look bad in my eyes. I can't help it.  Even though I don't know the whole story, I don't believe that Izzy would have asked them anything unreasonable considering everything that the man has contributed to this band (and that is a lot) 

Yeah - who knows, I imagine Europeans and Asians might be more forgiving since rock acts can still pull in good numbers touring over there, but rock music is very much diminished in North America.

People in their 20's and younger are into hip hop/RnB acts and EDM. Dinosaur bands like GnR have to rely on the old school fans who are in their mid 30's+. Many of these people saw the original band. These are the people they have to convince to support the band on further legs of touring. I just don't see how they'll continue to sell out stadiums or even arenas with the "business as usual" attitude. Again, the only real comparable band we have as an example is Metallica, and those guys put out new music and actually do cool stuff for their fans. This band could care less about their fans. Factor that in with the general disinterest in rock bands and you have a potentially mixed situation for any future touring in 2018.

As far as money goes, the tickets are overpriced. Plain and simple. Fans are being priced out with how expensive these tickets are. Definitely this is the case in NA markets. You can say the pricing reflects the market but right now it's looking like demand in NA is waning. Either they have to start reducing the prices, put out new music, or do something really interesting like Pearl Jam and mix up the setlists from show to show. I don't think an AFD 5 reunion at this stage is going to change any of this aside from a bit of fan goodwill. That ship sailed in 2016 and the last chance they had with Appetite 30 was also blown. 

For the sake of their own greed it would have been smart to bring in Izzy and Steven for AFD 30 and the rest of the shows - perhaps that may have served as a catalyst for renewed interest and helped sell out all the stadium and arena shows for this year. 

Between Team Brazil and Axl, there is no chance for GnR to function like a normal band.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Asia said:

Setlist is in the OP on the first page.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GunsDK said:

That being said, I think it's such a missed opportunity that the band did absolutely nothing to mark a huge milestone - the 30th anniversary of AFD. It was a standard NITL setlist, as others have said, and the show had no surprises whatsoever. Did Axl even say anything about AFD on stage? What was the point of the show, if not to do something special that was related to the anniversary? As it stands it was just another stop on the tour, albeit on a small venue. I'm sure the lucky fans who were there had a great time. It's just a shame that they once again dropped the ball.

The show was simply a concert for broadcast on SiriusXM for promotional value for them and for the upcoming NITL tour dates.  It was pretty clear from the beginning that this is all it was going to be.  Somehow people started to get their hopes up because it would technically become the day of the AFD anniversary during the show.

If it was intended as a special AFD celebration show, wouldn't they have scheduled it for today, the actual anniversary?  If you are married, go tell your wife that you'll take her out for your anniversary on the night before but it's the same thing because you'll be getting into bed at midnight.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

The show was simply a concert for broadcast on SiriusXM for promotional value for them and for the upcoming NITL tour dates.  It was pretty clear from the beginning that this is all it was going to be.  Somehow people started to get their hopes up because it would technically become the day of the AFD anniversary during the show.

If it was intended as a special AFD celebration show, wouldn't they have scheduled it for today, the actual anniversary?  If you are married, go tell your wife that you'll take her out for your anniversary on the night before but it's the same thing because you'll be getting into bed at midnight.

This. Also:

gnr_apollo1498000196.jpg

No AFD cross, no mention  of anniversary. Only NITL. And then people expecting a NITL show are bashed. :lol:

It's a tough balance, acknowledging 30 years AFD while 2 members are absent. People would always be complaining, whatever they had done. It is what it is. You can be happy with what you got (a quality soundboard of a great setlist) or be sulking for what you don't get. It's that easy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

Then it should have been branded like other NITL shows with NITL posters/billboards. If they wanted, #AFD30 could also be included in social media and posters to acknowledge the upcoming anniversary. Had they done that and fans were still bitching, then yes - that would have been unjustified because the marketing would clearly show that it was a NITL show. But they didn't do that.

When you have AFD30 billboards and marketing - well that implies a different product sir. If SiriusXM wanted to clarify things, they should have announced the lineup that would play the show. They didn't. Just like what went down at the Troubador and in Vegas. 

How else are we supposed to interpret this other than another attempt by GnR to bamboozle their fans. It is what it is mate.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lio said:

This. Also:

gnr_apollo1498000196.jpg

No AFD cross, no mention  of anniversary. Only NITL. And then people expecting a NITL show are bashed. :lol:

It's a tough balance, acknowledging 30 years AFD while 2 members are absent. People would always be complaining, whatever they had done. It is what it is. You can be happy with what you got (a quality soundboard of a great setlist) or be sulking for what you don't get. It's that easy.

The AFD cross poster was outside the Apollo and in billboards in NYC iirc. If this was the only poster used to market the show - then I stand corrected and you guys are right. But they used the AFD cross to promote the show as well.

No doubt, it was a difficult balance. The ambiguity of the marketing sometimes and the lack of communication is a big problem for me with this type of stuff. As amateurish as GnR's management is, I don't feel this ambiguity is an accident. If anything, it seems deliberate.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

They have celebrated 25 years of Afd with 1/5 members from the album. They have celebrated it with 3/5 members this year. Let's wait and see what happens at AfD 35 :lol:

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Then it should have been branded like other NITL shows with NITL posters/billboards. If they wanted, #AFD30 could also be included in social media and posters to acknowledge the upcoming anniversary. Had they done that and fans were still bitching, then yes - that would have been unjustified because the marketing would clearly show that it was a NITL show. But they didn't do that.

When you have AFD30 billboards and marketing - well that implies a different product sir. If SiriusXM wanted to clarify things, they should have announced the lineup that would play the show. They didn't. Just like what went down at the Troubador and in Vegas. 

How else are we supposed to interpret this other than another attempt by GnR to bamboozle their fans. It is what it is mate.

Bamboozle their fans into what?  Signing up for a free trial of SiriusXM if they didn't already have it?  Turning to channel 41 to listen?  You couldn't purchase tickets to the show so what could you be bamboozled out of?

As far as the marketing, I posted a few days ago that the spot running on SiriusXM was advertising "Axl, Slash, Duff McKagan and the rest of Guns n' Roses."  No mention of classic members.  Just essentially a reference to GNR and their backing musicians.  

51 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

We know that? How? What happened?

Slash came on here under his username and quoted a wolf mother song an hour before he jumped on stage and played it with them... it went largely unnoticed until he played the song with them, 

it was defo slash

To the people saying it wasn't even meant to be about the 30th AFD anniversary: 

Last concert of the European leg: 07/15/17 - Tel Aviv, IL - Hayarkon Park

First concert of the next NA leg: 07/27/17 - St Louis, MO - The Dome

Many, many days between those two gigs. And yet they decided conveniently do the Apollo show at the eve of the AFD 30th anniversary.  (whether it's the eve or the actual anniversary day -  that's irrelevant.)  If somebody tries to say it's just a coincidence - you can believe it, if it makes you happy. 

But to be fair, no matter what they did, people would be bitching about it anyway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dally said:

My god what a mess of tread:blink:

anyone know if the show was good or bad in terms of quality? All i can find is 90++ pages of nonsens:facepalm::lol:

Unfortunately unlike the shows where thousands of fans have attended we haven't had first person reviews yet. I expect there will be some later today. I posted a SCOM video about a page or so back and it seems Gibbo is going to upload the full show soon.

• Like 2