07/20/17 - NYC - Apollo Theater

alfierose

18 minutes ago, Stro said:

Static set lists are the norm for bands, particularly big bands that have lots of pyro and lighting cues. Just because GNR didn't do that in their 20s doesn't make it a rip off that they do it now. Thinking that a band owes it to you to change up their set list because you've been able to watch other shows on Periscope is just about the height of entitlement as a fan. If they came back to your venue on the next leg of a tour and played the exact same set list, sure, you'd rightfully feel a bit ripped off. You might as well get pissed as a comedian for touring the same show for a year or two (which almost all major comics do until they record a special, then change it up).

Holy fuck. How some of you don't get it is beyond me. This show was different. It was hyped differently, promoted differently under the illusion it would be special. Figure it out. This isn't a debate about how the set in London is the same as Chicago or how the set in Paris is the same as Sydney. It's the fact this show was hyped in an entirely different way. How are some of you not able to grasp that? It's not fucking rocket science. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Spirit said:

I said this before the show. The Appetite celebration posters might not be directly related to the show, it's just an acknowledgement of the 30 year date. I thought it might be related to some sort of release, but who knows.

The show poster said "Not in This Lifetime", which is a clue to what kind of show this would be. Appetite isn't mentioned on the show poster.

Yes just a coincidental acknowledgment of the 30th anniversary on massive billboards in Times Square a week before the band plays the Apollo in New York to an intimate crowd on the anniversary of AFD. You're right GnR weren't trying to insinuate anything whatsoever. :facepalm:

3 minutes ago, Bono said:

Yes just a coincidental acknowledgment of the 30th anniversary on massive billboards in Times Square a week before the band plays the Apollo in New York to an intimate crowd on the anniversary of AFD. You're right GnR weren't trying to insinuate anything whatsoever. :facepalm:

The Sirius promotion has always been clear that this was a kick off to the US NITL. I can totally see how the AFD billboards plus the date of the show have led to speculation of something different but with hindsight maybe the billboards themselves were the celebration and acknowledgement. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lio said:

It was advertised as a Not In This Lifetime show. That's what it was.

Don't pretend it was advertised as a afd anniversary. It just wasn't.

Exactly.  This was indeed a special show considering the setting and the broadcast in conjunction with Sirius XM Radio.

Anyone who seriously thought it was going to be an AFD Anniversary show or a AFD5 reunion show were turning their wishful thinking into something more

Just now, Lio said:

So then what's Appetite 30? Just a hashtag and a billboard?  We know it's not a deluxe reissue. So what is it?

4 minutes ago, Lio said:

Holy fuck the naivety of some fans. It blows my mind. You people and your hindsight technicalities. 

there is a massive difference between expecting something special and acknowledging exactly how they wanted the show to appear before hand. Why some of you have such a hard time acknowldging the deception these guys pull with their fans is beyond me. It's like you're all in denial for some reason. 

Edited by Bono

1 minute ago, RONIN said:

Agreed. They are clearly marketing this stuff ambiguously on purpose to maximize fan interest. Just like the Troubador and Vegas shows when they didn't release the full lineup until diehards had burned a bunch of cash for the Vegas gigs. 

I think the majority were content just having Axl and Slash together again. Duff was an added bonus. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bono said:

Holy fuck the naivety of some fans. It blows my mind. You people and your hindsight technicalities. 

It's not naivety boss, it's willful ignorance. 

The management for this band is an utter disgrace.

• Like 2

No, in a general sense, it actually WAS promoted as a special AfD thing, radio or not. Or it was heavily implied, let's say. One would have expected Axl at least mentioning something on the stage. Why didn't he? He's surely aware of that, right?

6 minutes ago, RONIN said:

This speaks volumes really. Great post. 

Doubt they give a rats ass about Chester. Whatever is going on behind the scenes, we are never going to be privy to but I wouldn't be surprised if years later we found out that Axl and Slash never patched up and were simply going through the motions for the sake of the reunion cash bonanza.

Thats not what i saw at the show i was at.

Have you been to any live shows?

I saw slash and axl making eye contact and smile a number of times

I also saw Duff, Axl and Richard stand back and watch from the corner of the stage and admire Slash while he was playing a solo.

In relation to the cash grab..

Do you work for free or do you get paid so you can pay our bills, feed your famliy, pay your rent or morage...  

Its their job and its how they make a living..

These guys are just like us.  They need to provide for themselfs and there families...

How does  Axl and Slash, and the reasons behind them being in Guns n Roses, the money they make, how they act on stage etc affect your life?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ironmt said:

I think the majority were content just having Axl and Slash together again. Duff was an added bonus. 

Agreed. But there are a fair amount of people on this forum itself who would not have gone to the Vegas gigs had they known Izzy and Steven wouldn't be there. Something GnR could easily have cleared up by announcing the final lineup.

The bait and switch type marketing is what is pissing people off. The NA arena tour hype being the prime example of this. If their marketing was clear and not so ambiguous - I don't think the backlash would be as heavy on this forum.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, bigpoop said:

So then what's Appetite 30? Just a hashtag and a billboard?  We know it's not a deluxe reissue. So what is it?

No idea. 

2 minutes ago, Bono said:

I never expected anything outside of nitl for the Sirius show, as soon as I saw the flyer. I thought maybe Steven would possibly guest, but certainly nothing more.

Then Beta said Steven and Izzy wouldn't be there and there were still people here thinking they would be, just because she said they wouldn't. Think I'm the realist here, not the naive one.

Who knows, maybe we get sth special for afd30, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Agreed. They are clearly marketing this stuff ambiguously on purpose to maximize fan interest. Just like the Troubador and Vegas shows when they didn't release the full lineup until diehards had burned a bunch of cash for the Vegas gigs. 

At least someone fucking gets it. The fact so many people on here can't just be honest about this aspect of it blows my mind. Like how brainwashed can people be. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bigpoop said:

Unless they drop some unexpected deluxe merch or a last minute show/party over the weekend then yes I think it was just a hashtag and billboard.

I've only heard a few clips so far (going to check out the full recording now) but it sounds like it was a great show. It's nice to have a soundboard from this tour.

That being said, I think it's such a missed opportunity that the band did absolutely nothing to mark a huge milestone - the 30th anniversary of AFD. It was a standard NITL setlist, as others have said, and the show had no surprises whatsoever. Did Axl even say anything about AFD on stage? What was the point of the show, if not to do something special that was related to the anniversary? As it stands it was just another stop on the tour, albeit on a small venue. I'm sure the lucky fans who were there had a great time. It's just a shame that they once again dropped the ball.

I assume nothing is happening today, the actual anniversary of AFD?

Edited by GunsDK

3 minutes ago, alfierose said:

Unless they drop some unexpected deluxe merch or a last minute show/party over the weekend then yes I think it was just a hashtag and billboard.

A hashtag on a billboard the week of the Apollo show to lead people into think that tonight's show would be a  special 30th anniversary show. There is no other way about it. That is exactly what those billboards were for.  This show, those billboards and the date of it all are not coincidence. It all went hand in hand to mislead people. Just be honest about it and call it what it is. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Padme said:

This Apollo Theater show was advertised aas a celebration of AFD. Well it was just another show.

I for one am glad, that it wasn't an AFD celebration. I mean, how can you celebrate that album, maybe even play it in full, exclude Izzy and Steven and keep a straight face? I'm glad they at least had the decency to not do that. They did acknowledge the anniversary in print, but otherwise kept it business as usual. However disappointing that may be to some. And really, since the regular public (non-Sirius radio subscribers) couldn't get tickets anyway, I'm even more glad.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RONIN said:

This is definitely true and I was thinking about that again today, how deliberate it was and partly why Izzy called rolling stone and said he had nothing to do with the tour. Of course dishonest people turned that into, "he said he wanted nothing to do with the tour". No, he was not going to let that ambiguous PR bs to be used when it was already decided he was not going to be treated as an equal , the man is principled , plus he was upset because he wanted to be there .  He was letting the truth be known. They also hid that Adler was out. The main reason they had Adler for a few songs at a few shows , was to keep the intrigue going and people hoped he would be at a show they were attending . For tonight, they did put Appetite 30th all around the Apollo. Yes, they absolutely wanted everyone to conflate that with what the set list would be and expect some surprise. I liked the small venue a lot , had a really good spot and the guitars were damn good, but there could have been some special touches , namely , have Izzy and Adler there. Keep Fortus because he does have massive talent , but frank was doing his usually speeding up, made axl rap and at one point it fell apart and slash brought it back into balance .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Agreed. But there are a fair amount of people on this forum itself who would not have gone to the Vegas gigs had they known Izzy and Steven wouldn't be there. Something GnR could easily have cleared up by announcing the final lineup.

The bait and switch type marketing is what is pissing people off. The NA arena tour hype being the prime example of this. If their marketing was clear and not so ambiguous with the insinuations - I don't think the backlash would be as heavy on this forum.

How many people are leaving the shows feeling as If they were ripped off? I think the fact that many people have attended more than one show as well as a second show being added to certain Cities pretty much tells the story. Many more people are leaving satisfied as opposed to feeling they didn't get what was advertised or the show they desired. This forum Is a grain of sand on a beach In terms of concert attendance. After the first Las Vegas show people were aware of who was In the band. They were also aware of the fact that Axl was Injured and Immobilized and the second night still sold out, along with the stadium shows.

Edited by ironmt