07/20/17 - NYC - Apollo Theater

alfierose

To preface this: I joined this forum when I was 14 - I'm in my mid-20's now. For a while during the 2012-14 era I stopped caring (both due to getting older/what was going on), however I came back in full force for the initial "reunion", or whatever term you'd like to use for this. 

I have to say that this is among the lowest of the low for this band. Axl, Slash and Duff playing into what is the 30th reunion of AFD (at the Apollo, of all places), something all of us would be having mental wet dreams about when I joined this forum...and it's a dud. 

This may be more appropriate for the other thread on this subject, however, it is my feeling that if anyone thinks Axl is still in this for anything other than money then I feel sorry for you. What could've been a monumental moment (playing the album in it's full, even with 3/5th of the original band) and broadcasting it live from the Apollo could be the closest thing to Ritz 1988. Instead it's a wet fart. They literally played the same playlist they've been playing for more than a year.

Unfortunately I highly, highly doubt we'll ever see another album with Axl/Slash/Duff again, simply because there's no motivation. Why record an album that'll sell terribly in comparison to your previous efforts when you can tour and set new records?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rubicon said:

I feel so extremely sorry for the fans who actually paid a sh*tload of money for those tickets and got ripped off with an ordinary NITL show :wacko:

I don't. It was always highly likely this was going to be the case, not one thing suggested other wise apart from fan speculation.

• Like 2

What an absurd concept to think that a band playing a set list somewhere in Germany and again in New York for a DIFFERENT AUDIENCE is some how lazy and a rip off. Just because you can no watch or listen to every show doesn't mean the show is meant for anyone but the audience there viewing it live. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Rubicon said:

I feel so extremely sorry for the fans who actually paid a sh*tload of money for those tickets and got ripped off with an ordinary NITL show :wacko:

Tickets were free for Apollo. There were a lot of pluses: it was loud, you could see everything, guitars on fire.  I liked the small venue.  Yesterdays, Patience and My Michelle were not all played at a lot of the shows.  Axl did a lot more dancing I think.  And last but not least, Fortus is extremely hot. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ironmt said:

They could play the rest of their lives to arenas In the U.S. and stadiums over seas without releasing a single thing, with the current line up. Actually they could all retire with the money they have made on this tour and not do anything for the rest of their lives. I guess the choice Is theirs.

Pretty much. Which is why there is no reason for them to change the stale setlists or release new music - why bother? They're raking in the cash.

49 minutes ago, Bono said:

It's incredibly hard as a fan to look at GnR and think yeah this all kicks ass. They're are such a  joke and have been since the beginning of the CD era.  This is literally the laziest and most half assed reunion ever. they trolled the fans with all that hype about a major announcement only to announce more tour dates and then tonight was the ultimate trolling of the fans. The fact these guys hyped this the way they did and put up billboards in Times Square advertsing the 30th anniversary of AFD to then play the same old set list with absolutely nothing new, different or special added to the show is pretty much a slap in the face to fans in my opinion. It's like they're saying "we know how to suck you in butt then we'll to the absolute minimum". I'm not surprised at all and there are those that know I fully and completely predicted absolutely nothing cool to come from this show but that doesn't stop me from shaking my head in disgust.

I don't know. I just have no words anymore for the fuckery that is this band. 

Many have such low expectations with this band, they will eat an Axl shit sandwich and be satisfied. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Pretty much. Which is why there is no reason for them to change the stale setlists or release new music - why bother? They're raking in the cash.

Many have such low expectations with this band, they will eat an Axl shit sandwich and be satisfied. 

Absolutely. That Is one of the reasons I always get a laugh out of people getting angry over not getting a new album. I am not laughing at them directly, just the situation. What business sense does a new album make In 2017? They have enough hits and quality material from the few albums they released 25-30 years ago that they can tour off of them until they decide they no longer want to do It. When Axl decides he needs a break from Guns he has AC/DC to fall back on. 

Edited by ironmt
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stro said:

What an absurd concept to think that a band playing a set list somewhere in Germany and again in New York for a DIFFERENT AUDIENCE is some how lazy and a rip off. Just because you can no watch or listen to every show doesn't mean the show is meant for anyone but the audience there viewing it live. 

What's absurd is how you have zero comprehension of what people are disappointed in. the fact you think people are upset that they simply played the same set list in NY as they did in other places show shows out of touch you are. I'm not even gonna waste my time explaining it to you because clearly you wouldn't be able to comprehend it anyways. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bono said:

It's incredibly hard as a fan to look at GnR and think yeah this all kicks ass. They're are such a  joke and have been since the beginning of the CD era.  This is literally the laziest and most half assed reunion ever. they trolled the fans with all that hype about a major announcement only to announce more tour dates and then tonight was the ultimate trolling of the fans. The fact these guys hyped this the way they did and put up billboards in Times Square advertsing the 30th anniversary of AFD to then play the same old set list with absolutely nothing new, different or special added to the show is pretty much a slap in the face to fans in my opinion. It's like they're saying "we know how to suck you in butt then we'll to the absolute minimum". I'm not surprised at all and there are those that know I fully and completely predicted absolutely nothing cool to come from this show but that doesn't stop me from shaking my head in disgust.

I don't know. I just have no words anymore for the fuckery that is this band. 

33 minutes ago, Crazyman said:

To preface this: I joined this forum when I was 14 - I'm in my mid-20's now. For a while during the 2012-14 era I stopped caring (both due to getting older/what was going on), however I came back in full force for the initial "reunion", or whatever term you'd like to use for this. 

I have to say that this is among the lowest of the low for this band. Axl, Slash and Duff playing into what is the 30th reunion of AFD (at the Apollo, of all places), something all of us would be having mental wet dreams about when I joined this forum...and it's a dud. 

This may be more appropriate for the other thread on this subject, however, it is my feeling that if anyone thinks Axl is still in this for anything other than money then I feel sorry for you. What could've been a monumental moment (playing the album in it's full, even with 3/5th of the original band) and broadcasting it live from the Apollo could be the closest thing to Ritz 1988. Instead it's a wet fart. They literally played the same playlist they've been playing for more than a year.

Unfortunately I highly, highly doubt we'll ever see another album with Axl/Slash/Duff again, simply because there's no motivation. Why record an album that'll sell terribly in comparison to your previous efforts when you can tour and set new records?

As much as I absolutely loved seeing them just a week and a half ago, you two aren't wrong. I loved seeing my two first musical heroes ever live on a stage. I loved the great show and the long set. I'm very happy that I went and I absolutely feel like I got my money's worth. But in fairness, aside from the long sets the whole reunion is lazy. I'm basically ok with them playing roughly the same set every night. Nearly all bands do it. That's fine. But the false hype is misleading. You kind of want to see them do something extraordinary or new. And that's something they haven't done yet. But then again I never really expected them to either.  

Just now, Stro said:

These people in New York and Germany don't have computers?  I mean you see this argument over and over here and that's what it seems to imply. That the people that go to the shows exist in some alternate universe where everything in the show is a big surprise and they're all OMG Coma!

11 minutes ago, Stro said:

Yeah, how absurd for people to think that a show that's advertised as a special Appetite 30th anniversary exclusive club show would get a special kind of treatment. How absurd.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bono said:

What's absurd is how you have zero comprehension of what people are disappointed in. the fact you think people are upset that they simply played the same set list in NY as they did in other places show shows out of touch you are. I'm not even gonna waste my time explaining it to you because clearly you wouldn't be able to comprehend it anyways. 

Alright fellow got your point, you do not need to keep being saltier than salt. Chill out and watch some U2 and get back to better mood. :)

31 minutes ago, bigpoop said:

These people in New York and Germany don't have computers?  I mean you see this argument over and over here and that's what it seems to imply. That the people that go to the shows exist in some alternate universe where everything in the show is a big surprise and they're all OMG Coma!

You know as well as the rest of us that the majority do not eat sleep and breath Guns N Roses as we do. They are casual fans that heard that the band was playing In their area In a few weeks and that the singer and guitar player are back together and then they decide to buy tickets. 

Edited by ironmt
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bono said:

Static set lists are the norm for bands, particularly big bands that have lots of pyro and lighting cues. Just because GNR didn't do that in their 20s doesn't make it a rip off that they do it now. Thinking that a band owes it to you to change up their set list because you've been able to watch other shows on Periscope is just about the height of entitlement as a fan. If they came back to your venue on the next leg of a tour and played the exact same set list, sure, you'd rightfully feel a bit ripped off. You might as well get pissed as a comedian for touring the same show for a year or two (which almost all major comics do until they record a special, then change it up).

• Like 1

I found the curtain call body language interesting.  Melissa is in between Slash and Axl, which I don't recall happening on tour - they stick to their positions pretty rigidly - and it's always been the 'big 3' together in the middle.  This time Slash is on the end.  There is no interaction of any kind between Axl, Slash and Duff.  They are also quick to break out of their positions, so to speak, while Richard, Dizzy, Frank etc hold theirs, looking frirendly/comfortable enough, even as Axl and Duff break off and Slash begins walking away.  I don't expect them to start behaving as if they were 20 again, but given that this IS supposed to be the anniversary of their hard-earned achievement that got them to where they are today, I'd have expected them to at least acknowledge it in some small way, shape or form.  Axl apparently said very little to the crowd and never mentioned AFD or anniversary.  Maybe I'm reading too much into it.  Or maybe they're just affected by Chester Bennington's death.  

1 minute ago, RNRS said:

Yeah, how absurd for people to think that a show that's advertised as a special Appetite 30th anniversary exclusive club show would get a special kind of treatment. How absurd.

I said this before the show. The Appetite celebration posters might not be directly related to the show, it's just an acknowledgement of the 30 year date. I thought it might be related to some sort of release, but who knows.

The show poster said "Not in This Lifetime", which is a clue to what kind of show this would be. Appetite isn't mentioned on the show poster.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigpoop said:

The shows are not for the people on the computers - it*s for the people in the crowd. I have been in the audience for to shows in the NITL tour and am really glad they don't change the setlist much at each show! I want to see the songs they are playing now even if I have seen them on my "computer" before. So this argument is a good argument for me anyway (and I do not live in an alternative universe...)

As for the special show in NY I would have liked if the only played AFD or something (changed something, but not for so much for the reunion tour).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bigpoop said:

It is one thing seeing a setlist online, it is another to actually see it live in person.  Why should I care that if I see them in person, some other people at some other show are hearing the same songs?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I found the curtain call body language interesting.  Melissa is in between Slash and Axl, which I don't recall happening on tour - they stick to their positions pretty rigidly - and it's always been the 'big 3' together in the middle.  This time Slash is on the end.  There is no interaction of any kind between Axl, Slash and Duff.  They are also quick to break out of their positions, so to speak, while Richard, Dizzy, Frank etc hold theirs, looking frirendly/comfortable enough, even as Axl and Duff break off and Slash begins walking away.  I don't expect them to start behaving as if they were 20 again, but given that this IS supposed to be the anniversary of their hard-earned achievement that got them to where they are today, I'd have expected them to at least acknowledge it in some small way, shape or form.  Axl apparently said very little to the crowd and never mentioned AFD or anniversary.  Maybe I'm reading too much into it.  Or maybe they're just affected by Chester Bennington's death.  

This speaks volumes really. Great post. 

Doubt they give a rats ass about Chester. Whatever is going on behind the scenes, we are never going to be privy to but I wouldn't be surprised if years later we found out that Axl and Slash never patched up and were simply going through the motions for the sake of the reunion cash bonanza.

Guys the problem I see here is promotion and advertising. This Apollo Theater show was advertised aas a celebration of AFD. Well it was just another show. I have a problem with this. It was unethical to say the least. It was a lie!!! They don't have the right to bully fans in such way.  

In in the end this is just The CD Tour featuring Slash and Duff. All I want them to do is to admit it. And put an end to this farce. I feel sorry for those who subscribe to that radio because this whole thing it was a trap and a joke. So the only winners are the radio and this band of mobsters. Because they got plenty of money out of this

• Like 1