Axl is on stage with Billy Joel right now in Minnesota

1 minute ago, moreblack said:

2010 wasn't that great all the time either, there was some good moments, but also some underwhelming stuff

It was consistent. He could have a bad song here and there, just like he did in his prime.

For this reunion, it is consistently bad, and when you have AC/DC and Billy Joel to compare with, it makes it very obvious what is going on.

3 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

It was consistent. He could have a bad song here and there, just like he did in his prime.

For this reunion, it is consistently bad, and when you have AC/DC and Billy Joel to compare with, it makes it very obvious what is going on.

My theory is he thinks the voice works for the GNR songs and since people respond well he feels no need to ramp it up. I don't think people tell him that that voice sucks so he keeps using it "#1 so why try harder?"

• Like 1

The comments on Rolling Stone's coverage of the billy joel gig (especially on the facebook article) are brutal. Axl haters are out in force with their knives. He's as divisive a personality as Michael Jackson. GnR's PR team have their work cut out for them to win American hearts and minds again. I know they're selling out stadiums here but the amount of vitriol being thrown towards the guy from Americans has to be affecting sales on some level. His Q score must be around MJ levels, if not lower. 

Edited by RONIN

Imagine hearing that voice alongside Slash's bluesy guitar on 'You Could Be Mine' or 'Rocket Queen' rather than the dross he served up at the Apollo? You theoretical could have this but he chooses to not sing that way, so you never will (hear it)! We also would not be having this conversation, in which by the way, all this stuff about 'age' and 'preserving one's voice' is quite clearly bollocks.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Imagine hearing that voice alongside Slash's bluesy guitar on 'You Could Be Mine' or 'Rocket Queen' rather than the dross he served up at the Apollo? You theoretical could have this but he chooses to not sing that way, so you never will (hear it)! We also would not be having this conversation, in which by the way, all this stuff about 'age' and 'preserving one's voice' is quite clearly bollocks.

Finally someone with common sense.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, RONIN said:

The comments on Rolling Stone's coverage of the billy joel gig (especially on the facebook article) are brutal. Axl haters are out in force with their knives. He's as divisive a personality as Michael Jackson. GnR's PR team have their work cut out for them to win American hearts and minds again. I know they're selling out stadiums here but the amount of vitriol being thrown towards the guy from Americans has to be affecting sales on some level. His Q score must be around MJ levels, if not lower. 

I had a look at the RS fb article and it's basically only one guy who makes the fuss.

51 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

There is no power in his voice during a GNR set. None.

It is all too weak. GNR has no balls anymore because of it. 

Maybe not enough, but it is there at times... Not the whole show, but they are long shows.. 

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I watched the clip and knew this forum would be up in arms about it... and rightly so. After the voice he gave us for the Euro/UK/Israel tour... hearing this is a slap in the face to anyone who spent money coming out to support this guy. There was a part of me that said, "maybe he's preserving his voice, as it is damaging to sing that way all night" but, now I think that Axl would go back on tour with AC/DC tomorrow and rip it up singing those songs, he'd then come back to GNR and essentially limp wrist his way through the set. Is he bored of the material? probably! but you know what to do Dumbass! change the set, write and release new material... basically challenge yourself. 

I think Axl sounded decent at the apollo for the most part, but not once did I hear him sing with as much power as this Billy Joel performance, and that's not really acceptable. End of the day, people keep spouting bullshit like "The last thing I'm thinking about when I'm at the gig is Axls voice, plus Slash more than makes up for it if Axl is bad" Sorry, but you're fucking crazy and you're essentially enabling the guy to go out there and half arse "I have loyal fans, that no matter how bad I stink they still come back for more and defend my every word/performance... so No, I think i'll stay in bed, not come to rehearsal and just jump on the plane when it's time to go do the tour, it'll be grand".

Bottom line is that if he can give for Billy Joel fans that haven't gave him a cent, he should bring it thrice for GNR fans that are paying through the nose to see him specifically.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I had a look at the RS fb article and it's basically only one guy who makes the fuss.

Well - I just went off the first 50 or so comments. I thought it definitely had more of a negative slant imho - certainly didn't seem all that positive - and I'm not just talking about that one annoying Metallica fan either. 

There's even someone pointing out the same on the comments:

It's amazing how negative the comments are about Axl. Calling names about how he looks - like none of us age or change. Criticizing as a has been or someone who hasn't made enough music. He's made it bigger and does more than anyone on this thread. Don't like him - that's fine. Don't like his singing - that's fine too. But to make fun of looks or his lack of making music? Well that shows more about the people posting than it does Axl.

In any case - doing this Billy Joel gig was a nice bit of PR regardless of the comments. 

Edited by RONIN

4 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I watched the clip and knew this forum would be up in arms about it... and rightly so. After the voice he gave us for the Euro/UK/Israel tour... hearing this is a slap in the face to anyone who spent money coming out to support this guy. There was a part of me that said, "maybe he's preserving his voice, as it is damaging to sing that way all night" but, now I think that Axl would go back on tour with AC/DC tomorrow and rip it up singing those songs, he'd then come back to GNR and essentially limp wrist his way through the set. Is he bored of the material? probably! but you know what to do Dumbass! change the set, write and release new material... basically challenge yourself. 

I think Axl sounded decent at the apollo for the most part, but not once did I hear him sing with as much power as this Billy Joel performance, and that's not really acceptable. End of the day, people keep spouting bullshit like "The last thing I'm thinking about when I'm at the gig is Axls voice, plus Slash more than makes up for it if Axl is bad" Sorry, but you're fucking crazy and you're essentially enabling the guy to go out there and half arse "I have loyal fans, that no matter how bad I stink they still come back for more and defend my every word/performance... so No, I think i'll stay in bed, not come to rehearsal and just jump on the plane when it's time to go do the tour, it'll be grand".

Bottom line is that if he can give for Billy Joel fans that haven't gave him a cent, he should bring it thrice for GNR fans that are paying through the nose to see him specifically.

+100

Spot-on!

17 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Well - I just went off the first 50 or so comments. I thought it definitely had more of a negative slant imho - certainly didn't seem all that positive - and I'm not just talking about that one annoying Metallica fan either. 

There's even someone pointing out the same on the comments:

It's amazing how negative the comments are about Axl. Calling names about how he looks - like none of us age or change. Criticizing as a has been or someone who hasn't made enough music. He's made it bigger and does more than anyone on this thread. Don't like him - that's fine. Don't like his singing - that's fine too. But to make fun of looks or his lack of making music? Well that shows more about the people posting than it does Axl.

Oh yeah, there also the usual random comments about Axl's looks. There was in-depth gender studies related discussion in the Women's Thread a while ago on why Axl is criticized so much for this by male fans and guys in general (much more than by women), but I don't want to go further into this subject here :lol:

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, North Korean Democracy said:

Axl never went full rasp on AC/DC. He sounded like Mickey or almost Mickey on many Bon songs, especially on TNT & Touch Too Much (and those were the songs he liked the most). He can get rasp when he's screaming like in most ACDC's Brian era songs or in Jungle, his problem is that he can't sing with rasp anymore like in SCOM, YCBM or ACDC's Bon era songs. It's obvious that he was more motivated with AC/DC but he just can't go full rasp like in 2010 even if he wanted to. Believing that he can but refuses to do it is absurd. 

So you are saying that In order for Axl to be able to perform with rasp It has to be a song that Involves screaming? He does It  every night when he sings the second part of Don't Cry from the line "And please remember that I never lied" on and In Patience from the line "I've been walking the streets at night, just trying to get it right" on.  During these parts he Is not screaming and Is able to perform with rasp. 

4 hours ago, ironmt said:

So you are saying that In order for Axl to be able to perform with rasp It has to be a song that Involves screaming? He does It  every night when he sings the second part of Don't Cry from the line "And please remember that I never lied" on and In Patience from the line "I've been walking the streets at night, just trying to get it right" on.  During these parts he Is not screaming and Is able to perform with rasp. 

There are exceptions. It seems he can also rasp in a mid range voice without screaming in those brief lines you said, the verses of Out Ta Get Me, verses of Nightrain and parts of Jungle and CD but it's a different kind of rasp than the typical Axl high rasp. Those parts are performed in a different range than YCBM, SCOM, TNT or Touch Too Much where he just can't go rasp when not screaming.

Would the Gn'r shows people attended have been any better if Axl had sounded like this? I'd suggest not.

People comment "at the shows, you don't notice Axl's voice", "he sounds so much better when you're there". Is anyone saying "the shows are shit, Axl sounds terrble"? No.

So what is it folks, is it that big a deal?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Carburetta said:

Would the Gn'r shows people attended have been any better if Axl had sounded like this? I'd suggest not.

People comment "at the shows, you don't notice Axl's voice", "he sounds so much better when you're there". Is anyone saying "the shows are shit, Axl sounds terrble"? No.

Guess who are the ones crying? The ones who haven't even attended shows.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, xBrownstonex said:

Guess who are the ones crying? The ones who haven't even attended shows.

I was at a show. It was great, I could still tell Axl sounded like shit on many songs regardless.

Edited by SevenMichaels
Spelling error

1 hour ago, North Korean Democracy said:

There are exceptions. It seems he can also rasp in a mid range voice without screaming in those brief lines you said, the verses of Out Ta Get Me, verses of Nightrain and parts of Jungle and CD but it's a different kind of rasp than the typical Axl high rasp. Those parts are performed in a different range than YCBM, SCOM, TNT or Touch Too Much where he just can't go rasp when not screaming.

This is nonsense. Axl could easily use that 'different kind of rasp' on YCBM, he used it in 2010, albeit with more power, and he also used it with ACDC, he just literally chooses not to do it, and there is no excuse for that. Every single one of Axl's performances have been completely robotic and choreographed beyond belief, this a fact. Although there have been high points, I feel he has disappointed overall, even though he looks good again, he's phoning in the majority of his GNR performances, as it is simply just a job to him now. Nothing more, nothing less. He's over it.

15 minutes ago, SevenMichaels said:

I was at a show. It was great, I could still tell Axl sounded like shit on many songs regardless.

Please. You've never been to a show clearly. Everyone here knows Axl sounds perfect on Paradise City, YCBM, and SCOM. I believe his singing is better now than it was on Appetite for Destruction.

49 minutes ago, Carburetta said:

Would a better sounding Axl make the shows better? And you think no? GTFO! That's like saying Slash performing better wouldn't make the shows better. How far can people go in apologizing for Axl? Everyday it's a new level of absurdity. I can assure you a better sounding Axl makes the shows much better. I saw them in 2006 and the shows in Edmonton and Calgary he sounded like ass and it literally ruined the shows. Then saw them in 2010 and the difference in his voice was night and day and the show in 2010 was great. I saw them in Vegas night 1 and night 2 on this NITL tour and you know what, had he sang like a neutered cat for those entire shows the way he did in 2002 I can assure you those shows would've sucked because being in the chair all he had to work with was his voice. Don't give me or anyone this fucking bullshit that a better vocal performance by Axl wouldn't make the shows better. He's there to fucking sing so YES him sounding better will always make the show better and trust me people do notice his voice at the shows, just as they notice Slash's guitar playing and Frank's shitty drumming. Axl is one of the most distinct sounding singers of all time. You bet your fucking ass people notice his voice at the shows and the ones saying they don't are full of shit and nothing more than Axl apologists. 

1 minute ago, RONIN said:

Please. You've never been to a show clearly. Everyone here knows Axl sounds perfect on Paradise City, YCBM, and SCOM. I believe his singing is better now than it was on Appetite for Destruction.

Oh yes, I forgot, Axl Rose is completely and utterly perfect in every sense of the word, I in fact believe he is the reincarnation of Jesus Christ, he can do no wrong. Say it with me Ronin, all hail Axl Rose! Crucify those that don't! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SevenMichaels said:

This is nonsense. Axl could easily use that 'different kind of rasp' on YCBM, he used it in 2010, albeit with more power, and he also used it with ACDC, he just literally chooses not to do it, and there is no excuse for that. Every single one of Axl's performances have been completely robotic and choreographed beyond belief, this a fact. Although there have been high points, I feel he has disappointed overall, even though he looks good again, he's phoning in the majority of his GNR performances, as it is simply just a job to him now. Nothing more, nothing less. He's over it.

No, he can't easily use it, he shot his voice after 2010. He barely used it on AC/DC, when he wasn't screaming Mickey came along. Axl/DC was excellent and Axl cared more than in GNR but it wasn't flawless. Listen to TNT, Touch Too Much, early Dirty Deeds performances, verses of High Voltage, most of Sin City, "Let There be Light, Sound!" parts of Let There Be Rock, if that isn't Mickey anything is. Mickey is a choice, not being able to rasp most of YCBM or TNT is not. Axl can't rasp everything anymore, it was great while it lasted. 

Edited by North Korean Democracy

1 minute ago, North Korean Democracy said:

No, he can't easily use it, he shot his voice after 2010. He barely used it on AC/DC, when he wasn't screaming Mickey came along. Axl/DC was excellent and Axl cared more than in GNR but it wasn't flawless. Listen to TNT, Touch Too Much, early Dirty Deeds performances, verses of High Voltage, most of Sin City, "Let There be Light, Sound!" parts of Let There Be Rock, if that isn't Mickey anything is. Axl can't rasp everything anymore, it was great while it lasted. 

No, his voice wasn't shot, he gained 100 pounds, didn't rehearse or sing whatsoever and quite frankly could not give a fuck anymore. He turned it on when he wanted to, see Philadelphia I believe in 2012. ACDC performances certainly weren't flawless but they were a hell of a lot better than his performances in Guns. He used the mid range rasp at times too, see Rock N'Roll Thunder (off the top of my head) for example. I have never once stated that he can rasp everything anymore, he couldn't even do it all the time post '89, I am saying he can work around it and sing the songs properly instead of using that pathetic, insulting and gut wrenching Mickey mouse voice. But he won't, as quite frankly, he's getting away with it, thanks to all of the apologists and in the media, thanks to Slash. Axl's getting paid, he does not care about Guns or his fans anymore. He phones in performances (for the majority), and they are completely and utterly choreographed. It is quite sad, but it's not going to change, until he returns to ACDC, or sings with Billy Joel, for example. Wait and see.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SevenMichaels said:

No, his voice wasn't shot, he gained 100 pounds, didn't rehearse or sing whatsoever and quite frankly could not give a fuck anymore. He turned it on when he wanted to, see Philadelphia I believe in 2012. ACDC performances certainly weren't flawless but they were a hell of a lot better than his performances in Guns. He used the mid range rasp at times too, see Rock N'Roll Thunder (off the top of my head) for example. I have never once stated that he can rasp everything anymore, he couldn't even do it all the time post '89, I am saying he can work around it and sing the songs properly instead of using that pathetic, insulting and gut wrenching Mickey mouse voice. But he won't, as quite frankly, he's getting away with it, thanks to all of the apologists and in the media, thanks to Slash. Axl's getting paid, he does not care about Guns or his fans anymore. He phones in performances (for the majority), and they are completely and utterly choreographed. It is quite sad, but it's not going to change, until he returns to ACDC, or sings with Billy Joel, for example. Wait and see.

I'm pretty sure his voice is shot. He can use a mid range voice depending on the vocal range that certain songs require like in the verses of Nightrain or Out Ta Get Me, or the "And Please remeber..." in Don't Cry, but he can't sustain that range in songs like YCBM or SCOM, or maybe he can but it's painful and damaging for him. I agree that the Mickey sounds embarrasing but he doesn't sound like that just because of not caring and being lazy. He clearly cared a lot with AC/DC and still sounded Mickey on TNT and others. His favourite DC song was Touch Too Much and he sounded Mickey as hell in that one. I think that's the definitive proof that Mickey is not only a product of lazyness. 

Philadelphia '12 was an outsading night out of the blue like Houston last year but it wasn't as good as most 2010 performances, still a lot of Mickey. This Highway to Hell performance was great but not flawless, Mickey here & there. Not on 2010 level. He's better at the Brian songs because of the full screaming factor.

Anyway, at the end of the day we all just have theories. Only Axl knows the absolute truth about his voice.

Edited by North Korean Democracy
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, North Korean Democracy said:

I'm pretty sure his voice is shot. He can use a mid range voice depending on the vocal range that certain songs require like in the verses of Nightrain or Out Ta Get Me, or the "And Please remeber..." in Don't Cry, but he can't sustain that range in songs like YCBM or SCOM, or maybe he can but it's painful and damaging for him. I agree that the Mickey sounds embarrasing but he doesn't sound like that just because of not caring and being lazy. He clearly cared a lot with AC/DC and still sounded Mickey on TNT and others. His favourite DC song was Touch Too Much and he sounded Mickey as hell in that one. I think that's the definitive proof that Mickey is not only a product of lazyness. 

Philadelphia '12 was an outsading night out of the blue like Houston last year but it wasn't as good as most 2010 performances, still a lot of Mickey. This Highway to Hell performance was great but not flawless, Mickey here & there. Not on 2010 level. He's better at the Brian songs because of the full screaming factor.

Anyway, at the end of the day we all just have theories. Only Axl knows the absolute truth about his voice.

It's really not, his mid range 'singing' voice (SCOM and Patience studio versions) apparently is long gone, it wasn't even good on the UYI tour imo. He can work around this with the range of voices he can utilize, he just chooses not to as it takes a lot of effort and hard work, and Axl has always been a lazy basterd. That HTH was absolutely flawless though, proof his voice is far from shot.

There is no point in arguing this further, we are on opposite sides of the fence, and that's cool, keeps things interesting. Peace.

• Like 1