Axl is on stage with Billy Joel right now in Minnesota

IMO a lot of it has to do with PR and selling the remaining tickets for tonight. Axl goes out gives it his all on a very popular song and a few hundred out those thousands may have been on the fence for GNR now buy tickets. It's a great opportunity as this scenario does not work out very often so take advantage when you can.

14 hours ago, xBrownstonex said:

Guess who are the ones crying? The ones who haven't even attended shows.

I was at last years Toronto gig, it was an awesome night. It was so great to see these guys sharing a stage again.

Recently however I've become shitty with the whole arrangment.

Ticket prices that would be easier to justify if it wasn't the exact same show as last year and what I believe to be Axl phoning it in. 

For the first time in 15 years of touring I will not be attending the shows in October. I just cannot justify it. 

• Like 1

"Not quite certain that he is "the king."  I understand he was making some real ego-driven dick moves backstage before agreeing to perform.  That is a shame.  But, Axl IS Axl, whether people like it or not."

"Axl had demanded that he be provided a red windscreen for his microphone and refused to go on without it, sending people to get one retrieved for him.  He didn't use it in the end.  It was a pure prima donna move.  He also sang "Big Shot."  Doubt he got the irony of that moment."

From the OP of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obaZnA8xRfs

This may explain the different coloured mic/windscreen.

35 minutes ago, MrSoftie said:

"Not quite certain that he is "the king."  I understand he was making some real ego-driven dick moves backstage before agreeing to perform.  That is a shame.  But, Axl IS Axl, whether people like it or not."

"Axl had demanded that he be provided a red windscreen for his microphone and refused to go on without it, sending people to get one retrieved for him.  He didn't use it in the end.  It was a pure prima donna move.  He also sang "Big Shot."  Doubt he got the irony of that moment."

I say he keeps the blue one...it had more rasp than the red one 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, MrSoftie said:

Who said this of Axl?? ?

17 minutes ago, MrSoftie said:

The guy who posted the video, I don't know who his source is though :shrugs:

Thank you , i  can't  download the video,is possible what be  anyone what talk wathever,i thinkig what was  Billy Joel, i seemed   rare, i not confide much in Youtoube,thank you ☺?

Axl is Guns N Roses, secondly Paul Huge is Guns N Roses (remember RIR01: Without Paul there would be no more Guns N Roses) - in that order. Axl wears the pants in the GnR family, that's why the CD songs are up there every single night.

They are doing a great job as a band, but the man who used to wear the skirt now wears trousers of iron. Mickey Mouse or not, Axl is singing great - Slash is superb and Duff is on fire. Dizzy is Dizwald and the others are full GnR member actors ala new Guns era.

• Like 1

Hm? I don't quite understand the complaints here. Are you seriously comparing a 2-songs performance to a 2 hours and 30 minutes show?? 

Axl is trying to save his stamina when performing with Gn'R and bear in mind the Gn'R songs are way more demanding than AC/DC songs. The ending bit of Coma is a pain in the ass, he was already struggling with how to approach You could be mine live in the early 90's, and I won't go into the details of the overall Gn'R setlist but it's extremely challenging. The set they're performing with Guns is the most consistent and longest ever. Sure they've done some longer shows here and there in their history but to perform that long and demanding of a set on a regular basis is something of a miracle at his age. You can't seriously compare this to 2 AC/DC songs on a surprise appearance.

I think Axl is really giving the best he can right now and if you remember correctly, he was also losing the rasp on AC/DC sets last year and struggling with some songs.

Axl is like a retired boxer, he is way past his prime but still gives amazing performances for his age, and some of you must have completely forgotten 2011-2014 which was basically a fucking catastrophee for me. Because I went to 4 shows in 2010 and he was kicking serious asses. He was legendary. 

I was mad at him in the RIR 2011 show because clearly he didn't train enough that year, it was a complete, utter catastrophee (the extreme bad weather didn't help either). After 2010, I found it hard to believe he lost so much of his voice within a year. 2012 wasn't good either (I left the only show I went to in 2012 because his voice made me sad, the setlist was better but halfway through I was remembering 2010 and this 2012 show hit me as a downgraded awful performance, I just left, I couldn't handle the change within just 2 years). Now, he had his moments in 2014 but was still weak, and I will say 2016-2017 is a phenomenal comeback, I didn't expect that. I thought he was finished and should retire. But he really has trained a lot, I can hear it and he goes all out.

What you're seeing of Axl now may be the last time you see this in your life. So enjoy it while it lasts. This guy is way too unpredictable, and does his homework whenever he feels like it. He did his homework within the last 2 years. But I don't expect him to successfully maintain this level and do his work during the 10 upcoming years. He isn't like Steven Tyler or Mick Jagger. There are moments when he shuts everything down and lets himself go further than anyone. But when he decides to be there, he is there 100%. He will reach a moment where he just can't do it anymore and will retire, so really, enjoy it now. Don't wait 2025 when he'll have disappeared again and remember 2016 fondly. Love the man for what he is now. I didn't have the chance to go to the shows recently but I'd love to, he is kicking asses again!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do not agree with that in the slightest.

Think about it logically man, as a whole Guns songs ARE harder to sing than ACDC. That's not a slight against ACDC, because those songs are by no means easy. ACDC songs stay within the same range, whether it's Bon or Brian. Brian's songs are the more challenging of the two, but they still stay in that same range. Guns on the other hand are all over the place range wise (for the most part). Also the lyrics in ACDC are slower than Guns lyrics, giving Axl more room to breath between words. Guns are very rapid fire at times, nothing in ACDC catalogue would I call rapid fire. Even Myles wouldn't touch certain Guns songs because of the rapid fire delivery. Finally, the range that even Brian hits in say Thunderstruck still isn't as high as Axl hits on many Guns songs. 

So basically all axl has to do when singing ACDC is find the sweet spot and stay there. It's going from high to mid to low back to mid, etc that gives him problems. He hasn't lost his higher register, it's the mid he struggles with. That's why he sings both the Brian and Bon songs so well. Bon is more of a mid range vocalist, but he never had an AMAZING tone to begin with, it was more of a unique tone. Axl just has to mimic Bon's tone, and HE is good to go. With Brian, he just has to stay in that higher register, but again it isn't as high as Axl's highest register. Again, both singers don't do rapid fire lyrics, which that is a BIG reason why Axl sounds better with ACDC. Honestly I hope Axl slows down his delivery a bit on any future Guns songs, it will help him out live imo.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Think about it logically man, as a whole Guns songs ARE harder to sing than ACDC. That's not a slight against ACDC, because those songs are by no means easy. ACDC songs stay within the same range, whether it's Bon or Brian. Brian's songs are the more challenging of the two, but they still stay in that same range. Guns on the other hand are all over the place range wise (for the most part). Also the lyrics in ACDC are slower than Guns lyrics, giving Axl more room to breath between words. Guns are very rapid fire at times, nothing in ACDC catalogue would I call rapid fire. Even Myles wouldn't touch certain Guns songs because of the rapid fire delivery. Finally, the range that even Brian hits in say Thunderstruck still isn't as high as Axl hits on many Guns songs. 

So basically all axl has to do when singing ACDC is find the sweet spot and stay there. It's going from high to mid to low back to mid, etc that gives him problems. He hasn't lost his higher register, it's the mid he struggles with. That's why he sings both the Brian and Bon songs so well. Bon is more of a mid range vocalist, but he never had an AMAZING tone to begin with, it was more of a unique tone. Axl just has to mimic Bon's tone, and HE is good to go. With Brian, he just has to stay in that higher register, but again it isn't as high as Axl's highest register. Again, both singers don't do rapid fire lyrics, which that is a BIG reason why Axl sounds better with ACDC. Honestly I hope Axl slows down his delivery a bit on any future Guns songs, it will help him out live imo.

Sorry, still do not agree.

The Guns songs Axl struggles with most are actually the primitive rockers like 'You Could Be Mine' and 'Rocket Queen'. Songs like 'Hell's Bells' are at least comparable in difficulty with say 'You Could Be Mine'.

18 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Sorry, still do not agree.

The Guns songs Axl struggles with most are actually the primitive rockers like 'You Could Be Mine' and 'Rocket Queen'. Songs like 'Hell's Bells' are at least comparable in difficulty with say 'You Could Be Mine'.

Not to mention we had the man himself say that Hells Bells was the hardest song he's ever had to sing.

I'll also add - it's a load of bollocks to say all Brian did was scream or that his songs were just screaming. He used his beautiful, mid-range husky blues voice on many AC/DC songs - even early on. 

RNR Thunder and RNR Train are great examples in the current set of Brian songs that are definitely not screaming and yet Axl sounds fantastic on them.

• Like 2

I never once said "all Brian did was scream" so I don't know how my words got twisted there... As for DD response, it's the rapid fireness of songs like YCBM, that's why that song in particular I would say IS harder to sing than just about anything in ACDC catalogue. Like I said before, the DELIVERY of the lyrics is SO much slower than Guns songs. Axl can catch his breath in between words, he can't with his own songs.

Having said that, is Axl giving 100% on songs like YCBM? No. I DO believe he takes it easy on some songs on purpose. As I said earlier, I believe he has to take it easy on certain songs in order to make it through a 3 hour plus show without losing his voice. Can we bitch about which songs he takes "off?" Sure. What would you rather have, a 2 hour show with Axl giving his best, but that's a lot of songs getting cut. Or a 3 hour show where he takes some songs more seriously than others, but you are getting most of the songs you want on a nightly basis? Besides when you are there, he DOES sound good. It's only later, after the fact, where it doesn't always sound as good. Not to mention I'm sure ticket prices would be the same for a 2 hour or 3 hour show. I personally enjoy feeling I got my monies worth. Honestly after seeing guns, I feel ripped off by other bands for only playing 1:45.

As I said earlier, are ANY OTHER BANDS PLAYING 3 hour plus shows?

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

25 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I never once said "all Brian did was scream" so I don't know how my words got twisted there... As for DD response, it's the rapid fireness of songs like YCBM, that's why that song in particular I would say IS harder to sing than just about anything in ACDC catalogue. Like I said before, the DELIVERY of the lyrics is SO much slower than Guns songs. Axl can catch his breath in between words, he can't with his own songs.

Having said that, is Axl giving 100% on songs like YCBM? No. I DO believe he takes it easy on some songs on purpose. As I said earlier, I believe he has to take it easy on certain songs in order to make it through a 3 hour plus show without losing his voice. Can we bitch about which songs he takes "off?" Sure. What would you rather have, a 2 hour show with Axl giving his best, but that's a lot of songs getting cut. Or a 3 hour show where he takes some songs more seriously than others, but you are getting most of the songs you want on a nightly basis? Besides when you are there, he DOES sound good. It's only later, after the fact, where it doesn't always sound as good. Not to mention I'm sure ticket prices would be the same for a 2 hour or 3 hour show. I personally enjoy feeling I got my monies worth. Honestly after seeing guns, I feel ripped off by other bands for only playing 1:45.

On Neil Young's Rebel Content Tour 2015-16 with Promise of the Real he regularly exceeded three hours, including one show in Amsterdam where he played for 205 minutes.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

You did say Brian stays in the high register (which in itself is not true) but I wasn't referring to you in particular - it's been suggested several times in this thread that Axl can just scream the Brian songs but there are enough midrange Brian songs in the set to prove that otherwise.

For the scenario you give - I honestly would take two hours of Axl perfection if it meant he could no longer do three hours for the sake of his voice. Trim the cover songs and extended solos and you'd have the current show down to the 2ish hour mark without too much sacrifice.

Also Rush, Foos, Pearl Jam... ;)

I agree that thanks to these veteran bands and their long ass shows I feel somewhat ripped off by bands that do the 90 - 105 minute sets. :lol: 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2017 at 8:35 PM, F*ck Fear said:

I was at last years Toronto gig, it was an awesome night. It was so great to see these guys sharing a stage again.

Recently however I've become shitty with the whole arrangment.

Ticket prices that would be easier to justify if it wasn't the exact same show as last year and what I believe to be Axl phoning it in. 

For the first time in 15 years of touring I will not be attending the shows in October. I just cannot justify it. 

All voice things aside, I don't know how a guy can be 'phoning it in' when he and his band are playing for 3 hrs 15 mins +. We flew to Motleys last show in LA and they were on stage for less than 2 hours, and that included Tommy Lee being stuck upside down for 15 mins...thats phoning it in! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

All voice things aside, I don't know how a guy can be 'phoning it in' when he and his band are playing for 3 hrs 15 mins +. We flew to Motleys last show in LA and they were on stage for less than 2 hours, and that included Tommy Lee being stuck upside down for 15 mins...thats phoning it in! 

How many 10 minutes songs Motley Crue Has? GN'R is performing the big 3 songs, Estranged, Coma and November Rain. Those 3 songs alone and you have like 30 minutes of the show gone, in just 3 songs. Don't get me wrong. I love they play them. And I hope they keep doing it. But I'm not sure the comparison is accurate.

4 minutes ago, Padme said:

How many 10 minutes songs Motley Crue Has? GN'R is performing the big 3 songs, Estranged, Coma and November Rain. Those 3 songs alone and you have like 30 minutes of the show gone, in just 3 songs. Don't get me wrong. I love they play them. And I hope they keep doing it. But I'm not sure the comparison is accurate.

Of course it is. It doesn't matter if Axl sings one song for 3 hours straight, it's still a longer performance.

Subtract the parts of the show where Axl isn't singing and he's probably got about two and a half to two hours and forty five minutes of singing, stage time. That's still more taxing that what most other artists do. Regardless, the entire band is out there for over 3 hours and that's impressive in itself.