10/12/17 - Newark, NJ - Prudential Center

gunsguy

3 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

Really? I totally agree on TIL but Twat he's about 90% note for note on both and with Better and Sorry he really sticks to the feel of the original. I honestly just think he doesn't like TIL at all going back to the 1993 demo and 'no more Seymour ballads.'

That's a good point about Slash and TIL - and probably it is an old point of contention with Slash. That's really where he and Axl had their first proper falling out, I mean a falling out with far reaching consequences, so I can imagine he must feel awkward playing it.  

I feel like Slash doesn't shine at all on any of the CD tunes, as though he struggles to connect with them, and who could blame him?  Haven't heard TWAT yet, but I did like what I heard of Mads from last night.  An improvement on the Philly show.

8 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

That's a good point about Slash and TIL - and probably it is an old point of contention with Slash. That's really where he and Axl had their first proper falling out, I mean a falling out with far reaching consequences, so I can imagine he must feel awkward playing it.  

I feel like Slash doesn't shine at all on any of the CD tunes, as though he struggles to connect with them, and who could blame him?  Haven't heard TWAT yet, but I did like what I heard of Mads from last night.  An improvement on the Philly show.

I really like Slash’s take on Better, it’s an original and consistent solo that I think is better than Finck’s. However I don’t like or am mixed on Slash’s other CD solos. His TWAT solo is pretty good but Buckethead blows him out of the water.

12 hours ago, GoForJMark said:

Ha! Must be a years work to find out! Not sure about the distorted audio from periscope, but amateur videos tend to mess up the audio quality indeed. Not the rasp though. Vocally though JUST VOCALLY, the best nightrain for me was in Tokyo, 2009. 

For sure, it was a GREAT night train, there was another around that round of dates where Axl sung the first verse an octave higher and it's one of the best for me !
Also, most modern mics on camera phones or even semi-pro cameras, 99% what is used to capture these videos we critique, can not capture the audio fidelity that

a pro shot at Rio gives/shows us (obviously) So they miss off flaws, and tend to highlight positives, like rasp, as it comes through well on lower quality mics....
Where as the clear voice, in amongst crowd and band is more blurred.

As I said though, definitely a better Night Train but looking at a better quality video from last night, no where near 2010 IMO !

• GNFNR 1

Is there a video of TWAT from last night? Not finding it on YT.

2 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I really like Slash’s take on Better, it’s an original and consistent solo that I think is better than Finck’s. However I don’t like or am mixed on Slash’s other CD solos. His TWAT solo is pretty good but Buckethead blows him out of the water.

Yeah, I do like Better.  Not crazy about Sorry due to lack of menacing vocals...the whole point of that song is menace.  I agree that Buckethead's TWAT solo is phenomenal and I think that's why I have a hard time warming to Slash's interpretation...it just pales in comparison.  It's like he shouldn't stick as close to the original as possible because that only highlights the difference, he should really put his own stamp on it.

• Like 1

Just now, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Is there a video of TWAT from last night? Not finding it on YT.

Yeah, I do like Better.  Not crazy about Sorry due to lack of menacing vocals...the whole point of that song is menace.  I agree that Buckethead's TWAT solo is phenomenal and I think that's why I have a hard time warming to Slash's interpretation...it just pales in comparison.  It's like he shouldn't stick as close to the original as possible because that only highlights the difference, he should really put his own stamp on it.

For me Sorry was that cool creepy Pink Floyd sound. He should have had David Gilmore come in to do work on it. But point is I don't feel like it's an aggressive tune. It just requires some cool anger 

Just now, riot said:

they were playing nightrain. gnr fans are getting old. lets say they are not wild anymore

Yup, most rock concerts are like that now.. In the States anyway.. There just isn't that excitement from the crowd anymore.. Probably because you get get everything so easily now on the internet..

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

For me Sorry was that cool creepy Pink Floyd sound. He should have had David Gilmore come in to do work on it. But point is I don't feel like it's an aggressive tune. It just requires some cool anger 

Oh, I adore the song on the album, was referring to how it is played live.  I wouldn't change a thing about it on the album.  When Axl's vocals come in at the end, it's like the voice of doom. 

9 hours ago, TiedHands said:

I am so ultimately disappointed every time I hear Slash on a CD track. I thought for sure he would be able to put his own touch on each song but every single one is senseless noodling. I don't get it. 

He probably doesn't love playing them

• Like 1

Well 5 CD songs is the new norm.. Terrible

Awesome Song
Awesome Song
OK song
Awesome song
Good song
Awesome song
Terrible song
Good cover song
Great song this lineup sucks at
Great song Axl can't sing
OK cover
Shit song
Awesome song
Good song Axl can't sing
Shit Song
Good song Axl can't sing
Great Guitar solo
Great song Axl can't sing
Pretty good weird cover
Great song this lineup is just "ok" at
Great song depending on Axl's night
Boring cover
Great song this lineup sucks at
Shit cover
Great cover this lineup isn't great at
Great song
Meh song
Awesome song this lineup isn't great at
Good cover
Awesome song Axl can't sing  *(just watched the video from this show and Axl sounded pretty good)

Good thing for beer and drugs

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Glad to see Axl is sounding good with my show coming up.. I just watched Paradise City and it wasn't bad at all.. The temp of the main riff seemed to be slowed down a bit.. It had a great groove... The solo at the end was killer too. I still wish Axl wouldn't sing over Slash's iconic lead near the intro.. That just never sound good. 

4 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

How was the attendance at this show?

10 minutes before the band came out there were TONS of empty seats. After the first song I turned around and it seemed pretty damn solid. It's hard to tell when everybody is standing, but I really didn't see much for emits seating. 

4 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Well the very first time they played TIL last year Slash made a point of walking right up to Axl's throne and playing directly just to him with a shitload of feeling. Axl nodded his approval and closed his eyes towards the end. Awesome moment. So that was very much Slash's way of saying sorry for some of that stuff, IMO. 

I haven't watched enough videos to form a strong opinion on whether Slash connects with the CD stuff at all and I haven't been up close in the pit. I do really feel he appreciates Twat and likes the solos otherwise why would he stick so close to them both? I did notice him really jumping and getting into Madagascar the other night, despite not having much to do.