Edmonton Soundcheck

Just now, MillionsOfSpiders said:

So Madagascar isn't ruled out then? 

Yeah, I think it isn't, because, besides the teleprompter, there was another source saying they rehearsed it. They usually rehearse something "new" once or twice before the show they play it at. And it makes sense that they might want to play Madagascar as a tribute for Houston.

They had rehearsed I Feel Good before the Apollo show but they didn't play it until yesterday.

• GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, I think it isn't, because, besides the teleprompter, there was another source saying they rehearsed it. They usually rehearse something "new" once or twice before the show they play it at. And it makes sense that they might want to play Madagascar as a tribute for Houston.

They had rehearsed I Feel Good before the Apollo show but they didn't play it until yesterday.

Ok, that's good to know. I would rather they play that than any other song from CD, I'd feel a bit jealous that it wasn't played when I saw them though (if they do play it).

4 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Ok, that's good to know. I would rather they play that than any other song from CD, I'd feel a bit jealous that it wasn't played when I saw them though (if they do play it).

Yeah, it's the only CD song I'd like them to play (other than what they've already done so far) - even better, replace TIL with it.

1 minute ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I hope Axl keeps the 'old man' vocals on it and Slash has free range to do what he wants. Looking forward to it :) 

I think, if they're gonna play it, they'll do a new arrangement -maybe without or with little of the samples part, because, since they play Civil War, it would be too much to have "what we... failure to communicate" twice at the same show. It would be interesting... :)

On 31/08/2017 at 1:42 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

Pretty sure security would be dragging you out too, with the headbutting and all :lol:

But I agree in general, I want this line-up to do more CD songs. Break out If The World and IRS, please! :headbang:

Street of Dreams would be epic too if they stripped it back to a 2002 or 2006 type of version. Slash would fit it perfectly IMO.

Yeah, I'll keep my head to myself lol. 

Still not confirmed if they really sound checked Maddy. Wonder if he'd change the lyrics to We're freed of all the chains we held together. 

I'm quite convinced Sod is about Slash but hey, Fleetwood Mac made a career of singing deeply personal stuff to each other on stage. 

27 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Still not confirmed if they really sound checked Maddy. Wonder if he'd change the lyrics to We're freed of all the chains we held together. 

I'm quite convinced Sod is about Slash but hey, Fleetwood Mac made a career of singing deeply personal stuff to each other on stage. 

They definitely sound checked Madagascar, I heard them do it. Doubt he'd change the lyrics tho.

58 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Wow, thought I was the only who thought that about Blues SOD, nice to come across someone else who does. 

8 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Wow, thought I was the only who thought that about Blues SOD, nice to come across someone else who does. 

Oh dude! I was convinced for 16 years it was a Seymour song. But Russ here posted his theory this year that it's to Slash snd reading through it line by line that makes perfect sense. Especially if Sorry is not. Because there had to be one song on the record to Slash. 

56 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

They definitely sound checked Madagascar, I heard them do it. Doubt he'd change the lyrics tho.

Wow. Thanks for the confirmation. That blows my mind to think they'd do Maddy given that it's about the old band. I mean "promised NEVER to leave me, NEVER to leave me alone" is so about Slash. Thought they'd do IRS or If The World first. MSL said in 2015 he thought they'd never do Maddy again as he knew Slash was back in the conversation. 

20 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Oh dude! I was convinced for 16 years it was a Seymour song. But Russ here posted his theory this year that it's to Slash snd reading through it line by line that makes perfect sense. Especially if Sorry is not. Because there had to be one song on the record to Slash. 

I'd be interested to read Russ's theory, don't suppose you remember which thread?  

First time I paid SOD proper attention (which is years after I bought and subsequently dismissed the album, which I now love) I thought, yep, that's about Slash.  I think 'the blues' is a metaphor for Slash, too.  I don't think Sorry is wholly about Slash, but I do think it references him very distinctly.  So much about the writing process is about the subconscious, often the writer doesn't even realise what they've referenced until someone else points it out.  Plus, a song can contain multiple meanings or messages.  Anyway, I won't derail thread analysing Sorry, ha!

15 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Wow. Thanks for the confirmation. That blows my mind to think they'd do Maddy given that it's about the old band. I mean "promised NEVER to leave me, NEVER to leave me alone" is so about Slash. Thought they'd do IRS or If The World first. MSL said in 2015 he thought they'd never do Maddy again as he knew Slash was back in the conversation. 

Totally agree with you about that lyric.  See, that's another Slash reference...they're kinda scattered all over the album, in bits and pieces.

And yeah, I was excited at the prospect of them doing Mads for the same reason - woah! it's about the band!!!  But you know, maybe Slash and Duff agree with the lyrics and they're cool with it.  Maybe they think it sums up pretty nicely their own feelings on it nowadays.

23 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I'd be interested to read Russ's theory, don't suppose you remember which thread?  

First time I paid SOD proper attention (which is years after I bought and subsequently dismissed the album, which I now love) I thought, yep, that's about Slash.  I think 'the blues' is a metaphor for Slash, too.  I don't think Sorry is wholly about Slash, but I do think it references him very distinctly.  So much about the writing process is about the subconscious, often the writer doesn't even realise what they've referenced until someone else points it out.  Plus, a song can contain multiple meanings or messages.  Anyway, I won't derail thread analysing Sorry, ha!

A few people in the Women's Thread think the same about SOD. If you wanna read, go to the index (under Song Lyrics Discussion) on the first page of the current WT  ;)

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 1