Question on the Axl "Weight Gain" in Recent Years....

I don't know if this has been addressed or reported, and I'm sure some Senior Forum Members can shed some light.....but I'm guessing around 2014 is when it seemed that Axl began to "balloon" quite noticeably in appearance. We all know that over the years our metabolism slows, and father time kicks in....but it seemed like he had a drastic gain in a short amount of time all of a sudden........

My question.....anyone know if the man suffers with bouts of Arthritis? Reason I ask....at his age......I could see him having difficulty with this, and taking medication such as Prednisone, to aid with it. Plus, if you know anything about Prednisone, it will cause you to have a much bigger appetite/lead to a weight gain.....

Another reason I ask this....I read an article 4 years back, and found the link I will post below, which referred to Axl being spotted at a "yard sale" in New York (SoHo), in which hardly anyone recognized him....and mentioned (also showed in a pic.), that he was walking with a cane at that time. I'm asking this, just to know if anyone else has any info......Here is a link to the article I mentioned about the "yard sale"...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/17/axl-rose-2013-unrecognizable_n_3454288.html

7 minutes ago, BooO said:

Why does that even matter? Leave the fatty alone...

Well....it would have to matter somewhat, because I would think a big weight gain and possible arthritis would affect his ability to perform live on stage.

Edited by papashaun
misspelled word

3 minutes ago, papashaun said:

Well....it would have to matter somewhat, because I would think a big weight gain and possible arthritis would affect his ability to perform live on stage.

It doesn't. Go look at the Sao Paulo show thread..page 10, where I posted a short clip of DTJ and Axl running.

Edited by marlingrl03
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

He wasn't even really overweight through 2012-2014 as he was wearing a lot of layers of jackets and what not. Axl has a little bloat on the face and isn't the same frame as 1991 but he's never been "fat"- he looks fine. It goes to show you that female celebrities aren't the only ones who are examined closely and judged for their appearance in modern society if Axl is by some stretch considered overweight. 

• GNFNR 1

The only thing I find strange about it is that Duff has said, if it wasn't obvious anyway, that he is very self conscious and vain about his appearance in general. You'd think he'd care more about looking as young and fit as possible the way Tyler, Springsteen, Jovi, Jagger etc etc etc do. Then again, he doesn't care to rehearse and train his voice like some of the above so who knows. 

For whatever reason he did get himself ready for Hammerstein '06, literally looking as close as possible to his heyday and sounding great, too. Maybe because the album was close and he felt it was his time. 

• Like 1

I rip the shit out of Axl for being fat but quite frankly he's just a normal guy getting in his middle age, people like Jagger and Iggy Pop are genetic freaks and also they worked for a living consistently, its something thats in your genes and its to do with a lifestyle, what do you expect from Axl being that he took a massive period of time off in his 30s and 40s which is the years where you kinda spread out as a man, he's not really fat as such and never has been, just a regular guy getting into his middle age, he could've probably worked intensively to keep himself in the sort of shape that your Jaggers and Iggy Pops maintained but he didn't and they're kind of a rarity.

Maybe he doesn't feel he wants to replicate the lithe young adonis that he once was, who knows. 

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 2

You all are looking way too deep into this. I honestly have a similar body type right now (taller than Axl though) because I haven't been to the gym in a while and I've been drinking way too much (opening a bar will do that to you). He's probably getting hammered after every show.

8 minutes ago, JimMorrison4 said:

You all are looking way too deep into this. I honestly have a similar body type right now (taller than Axl though) because I haven't been to the gym in a while and I've been drinking way too much (opening a bar will do that to you). He's probably getting hammered after every show.

Ha! Was going to say, I don't think the alcohol would do much to lessen his middle aged spread!  Duff and Gilby are examples of how you can still look trim and healthy in your 50s, in fact, Gilby is the same age as Axl isn't he?  You don't have to be a genetic freak! lol  There's no excuse really.  It's just a matter of does he feel like putting the effort in to keep in shape?  Nope.  His choice though.  Slash isn't slim either but for some reason no one ever says anything about his physique.  

I had a friend on anti depressants and he gained forty pounds.. Got off the shit and the weight came right off. Could have something to do with that and not giving a fuck.. Between that and all the work he has had done he isn't even recognizable unless he puts shades and a hat on.. I really don't buy the whole age excuse... Most celebrities stay fit and looking good his age and older.  It is almost part of the job. Hire a personal trainer.. They don't have to be at work 9 -5 every day.. They definitely can find the time to work out. He definitely seemed to be a vain guy.. I mean he started having work done for no reason at a very young age when most women probably still thought he was hot. It is all perplexing. I definitely think medication could be part of it though.. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Ha! Was going to say, I don't think the alcohol would do much to lessen his middle aged spread!  Duff and Gilby are examples of how you can still look trim and healthy in your 50s, in fact, Gilby is the same age as Axl isn't he?  You don't have to be a genetic freak! lol  There's no excuse really.  It's just a matter of does he feel like putting the effort in to keep in shape?  Nope.  His choice though.  Slash isn't slim either but for some reason no one ever says anything about his physique.  

I think people don't say much about Slash (although there were a few bingo wings remarks when the reunion started :P) because he looks like Slash, only typically older.  A little heavier, a little jowlier, thinner hair under those hats, but still doing handstands!  And he dresses and plays in typical Slash style.  Whereas Axl has that artificial-looking smooth face and no matter how I squint, just doesn't look like he used to!  He doesn't sound like he used to, either.  So we all keep squinting and speculating on what the issues are.  

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

No doubt Slash could drop a few pounds too but he still looks healthy and like himself.. I worry more about that stupid hat that is always stapled to his head... It has become so cartoon like and cliche... He is way cooler than that....

The top hat is just a stage prop.  Most photos of Slash off-stage, he's wearing a backwards baseball cap, or sometimes a beanie.  So the top hat doesn't bother me, it's iconic.  

I am curious how it's attached, though.  :lol:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, triad said:

The top hat is just a stage prop.  Most photos of Slash off-stage, he's wearing a backwards baseball cap, or sometimes a beanie.  So the top hat doesn't bother me, it's iconic.  

I am curious how it's attached, though.  :lol:

That is the problem for me.. It is a prop and just became cliche.. It is just kind of clown like these days.. He looks way cooler with the ball cap or during soundcheck or when he joins bands on stage in clubs. I am not saying to throw it in the trash or anything. It should still make appearances, just more sparsely like it did back in the day.  As for how it stays on there? Who knows lol.. That is the cheesiest part.. Like when he is headbanging or leaning back almost upside down and it just sticks on there. Probably clipped onto his hair somehow.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

I think alcohol got him bloted. From Rio on he was fairly heavy with 2012 being the lightest he got 

then end of 2012 thru 2014 he got really bloated. I don't think the cane meant much besides a fashion statement 

Wow. He didn't sound bad here, TBH.

Axl is getting old that is all. He is fitter than 99,9% of people his age around the world, runs like an absolute maniac on stage at every single show, performed with a cast with a broken foot. How the hell can he have arthritis or shit like that? As someone who exercise a lot I'm constantly appalled with the criticism directed at Axl's shape, he is fucking great condition for his age, and I'm 100% sure he runs and lift weights just from looking at something like his forearm.

There is no miracle, guys. You start to lose muscle and gain fat easily after 40's. Most of celebrities and stars past this age have lots of money and access to hormones (mostly testosterone and hgh), and those will severely slow the physical aging process. I'm not going to go out pointing fingers, but genetics my ass, there quite a handful of rock stars that are on it for sure - you simply don't get to look like an athlete after your 50's unless you seriously live like one, which those guys who are on the road for months do not. I doubt Steven Tyler or Billy Idol have sixpacks from going around packing meals of chicken breast and sweet potato, hitting the gym hard 4x per week and tracking calories and macronutrients.

Also, in theory, hormone replacement should help with maintaining strong vocals, as part of the vocal cords involve muscle and restoring hormone levels to 30's level should, with proper training, restore muscle strenght to those same levels. That could, partially, explain why some singers maintain amazing abilities against all odds.

Edited by Pedrolg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JimMorrison4 said:

This.

14 hours ago, papashaun said:

I don't know if this has been addressed or reported, and I'm sure some Senior Forum Members can shed some light.....but I'm guessing around 2014 is when it seemed that Axl began to "balloon" quite noticeably in appearance. We all know that over the years our metabolism slows, and father time kicks in....but it seemed like he had a drastic gain in a short amount of time all of a sudden........

My question.....anyone know if the man suffers with bouts of Arthritis? Reason I ask....at his age......I could see him having difficulty with this, and taking medication such as Prednisone, to aid with it. Plus, if you know anything about Prednisone, it will cause you to have a much bigger appetite/lead to a weight gain.....

Another reason I ask this....I read an article 4 years back, and found the link I will post below, which referred to Axl being spotted at a "yard sale" in New York (SoHo), in which hardly anyone recognized him....and mentioned (also showed in a pic.), that he was walking with a cane at that time. I'm asking this, just to know if anyone else has any info......Here is a link to the article I mentioned about the "yard sale"...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/17/axl-rose-2013-unrecognizable_n_3454288.html

Is impossible running how Axl with arthritis.