Which albums from Slash would you recommend?

Back in 2010/ 2011 Slash did his first solo tour with Myles K. and the Conspirators and they put out a large number of shows on Instant Live style CDR's.  I bought them all and have to say the Australian shows in August 2011 just  sound amazing.  All three Aussy shows have perfect sound IMHO but Melbourne is the pinnacle for me...........I love these shows as they did an amazing cover of "Fall to Pieces" where Myles just nails it......

From the Melbourne show............Crank it up!

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Starting Recommendations:

SnakePit It's 5'Oclock Somewhere: This Album has an old guns sound to the guitars and some amazing playing with Slash. Overall it feels like an album of GNR rockers except without Axl's lyrics and vocal abilities. The singer sort of is an acquired taste but you can feel the GNRness to the riffs.

Contraband: Very solid album except with an obvious plan to limit lead guitar and sound more modern (at the time). Great songs - although with a lot of Chorus repeats like STP has - but a real band vibe about it all.

Apocalyptic Love: If you detest Myles then it won't be for you. But if you want to learn to warm to a myles album I prefer this one - lot of very slashy riffs on it - reminds me of UYI era slash riffs.

then If you become full blown:

Solo Album: Some great songs on here, the variety of singers means probably some you will love and some you won't. It's a bit like UYI in that everyone agrees half is filller - but never which half hahahah.

Libertad: The good side is there's more Slash solos prominent than contraband. The bad side is there's way too many ballads and covers and stylistically it feels more like Scott and Duff to me than Slash despite the solos being up in the mix.

World on Fire: I love this album instrumentally, but you'd really have to get used to Myles. He's all over this and it even gets to me sometimes and I like the band lol. There's 2 or 3 great songs on this, but there's also a lot that just seem a lot like Alterbridge with Slash guesting to me.

Aint It Grand: Good album if you're into Slash. Couple of UYI style rockers but also some more jazzy and slightly funky numbers. Not bad at all but sort of a bit different to a lot of his other stuff. 

• Like 1

I really like Alter bridge (seen them last wednesday in Groningen) But to compare that, with world on fire ?? 

Alter bridge is a complete different band as SMKC !! and i like them both very much !! Tremonti is also a great guitar player  but his style way different then Slash !!

I find it amusing how songs are blanketly labeled as 'filler' just because that person doesn't happen to care for it. I guess Hotel California is 'filler' because I've always hated that song. Good to know.

Also think it's funny that one person claims SLASH's solo's go nowhere because, well, he just happens not to get it or connect with it. People and their preferences being positioned as fact. Gotta love it.

• Like 1

I never understood the hype over the first Snakepit album. To me, the second one is far superior in every way. Songs like Serial Killer, Back To The Moment, Been Here Lately, Lifes Sweet Drug... this is some of the best shit Slash has put out there. Some of those songs would've been legit A grade GNR material in the 90s. The first Snakepit album does nothing at all for me. The songs just aren't there. The songwriting is poor and I think it's by far the worst album Slash has released, solo or otherwise.

VR were a great little band while they lasted. Contraband is undoubtedly the better of the two albums, although Messages as a song is probably the best thing they ever did. Can't believe that one only made it as a bonus track.

I quite like the SMK&C albums. There's some solid tracks on both records, especially Annastasia, Not For Me, The Unholy, Beneath The Savage Sun, You're A Lie and Far & Away. There's also a bit of filler on each one, but they're definitely worth owning for any GNR fan imo.

The solo album with the guests was excellent. I hate to say it, but even the song with Fergie is a great little rock ditty, Beautiful Dangerous - I love the little repeating guitar motif that plays over the chorus and at the end during the outro. And then you have Gotten, which is one of Slash's best ballads, a really beautiful track. Other highlights are Starlight, Saint Is A Sinner Too, Nothing To Say, By The Sword... it really is a fantastic little album. I probably don't play it enough, just talking about it is putting me in the mood for it now.

Don't really get why a GNR fan wouldn't like Slash's solo work. Sure, he never made anything as brilliant as AFD, but then neither did Axl. Most of his solo albums sound a hell of a lot more GNR than Chinese Democracy did, that's for sure (and that's coming from someone who dug Chinese).

• Like 2

It's 5 o'clock somewhere is a superb record and probably Slash's best outside of Guns. Straight forward R'n'R with great jam parts during the songs.

Ain't Life Grand, World On Fire, Slash and Contraband are great albums too and it depends on my mood which one I prefer over the other. 

Apocalyptic Love is still good. Songs like Far and Away, Not For Me, Halo, We will Roam are good tracks. Anastasia is a masterpeace.

Even Libertad has some great songs, though I would say it's my least favorite Slash album. Least favorite but not bad.

• Like 1