Which albums from Slash would you recommend?

Depends. If you want the sloppy blues rock that he was known for in Guns, then listen to the first Snakepit album. If you want a more technical sound and a wider variety of rock, listen to his first solo album or WOF (both diverse albums, IMO)

4 minutes ago, Sosso said:

the first or second Album?

1st one is really really good. Just hits after hits. Took me a few years to dig Scott's vocal performance. Messages from second album (bonus track) is one of my fav song from VR. Although you should really give his SMKC's AL album a try. Great as an album with great groove and melody.

Edited by Rapidfire

There are usually 3 or 4 excellent tracks on each of his albums, but a lot of filler, and just meandering solos that go nowhere.

If I was you, I'd just collect the best individual tracks from each album. I'd start with :

Serial Killer (Snakepit)

Slither (Velvet Revolver)

American Man (Velvet Revolver)

Anastasia (Myles Kennedy)

Messages (Velvet Revolver)

Spectacle (Velvet Revolver)

Beggars And Hangers On (Snakepit)

There are more, but this is a good place to start.

• Like 1

I think the Snakepit albums are his best. I like Eric Dover's voice more that Rod Jackson's, but both albums are great IMO. 

I would definitely add "Street Child" by Elan feat. Slash. I think that's the best solo he's recorded out of GnR, maybe tied with Back and Forth Again from Snakepit. 

I've always thought the first Snakepit album was utter garbage that lacks direction and sounds like a band jamming on unfinished songs. Ain't Life Grand, their second album, sounds and feels much more like a real album. It has an updated Appetite feel and it's the only album Slash has released with a vocalist that fits his guitar sound. It's easily one of my favourite records. Anything else he's released has a filler or two, with World On Fire consisting of almost nothing but fillers.

Edited by RNRS
  • Like 2

Libertad is the best of all!

Never even try listening to Apocalyptic Love. When I heard that for the first time I couldn't believe Slash was capable of writing such a shit - on all accounts - vocals, guitars, solos, sound production...etc...

Ever since never listened to it again..

I'd start with the first Snakepit album as it's closer in sound to Guns i.e. not too alien for you, and go in chronological order, that way you take the sonic journey that Slash took.

Try Beggars and Hangers on from the 1st Snakepit, it's a genuinely good tune.  

I also like Back to the Moment from 2nd Skakepit.  It starts off a tad cheesy and you think you'll never listen to it again, but by god that vocalist is something else - so is the chorus - and before you know it, you're hooked on that song.  Plus it features one of the best 'feeling all the feels solos' of Slash ever.

I can't recommend anything from VR. I never liked any of the songs except for Falling to Pieces, but even that I find a bit boring.

For something different, check out these from his solo album:

Ghost with Cult signer, just great to hear his voice, and a strong tune

Promise with Chris Cornell, REALLY interesting melody, very different sound for Slash, he said it took him to a new creative place and Chris sounds beautiful of course

By the Sword with Andrew Stockdale - out of this fucking world singer - reaches for Robert Plant territory (check out his insta, he posts cool jams every other day) and super good tune.  He is the closest Slash ever got to an Axl in terms of vocal + song writing ability + ability to push Slash to new musical territory N.B. this is the song that Axl likes.

I can't recommend anything with Myles.

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sosso said:

the first or the second Album?

I love both VR albums but most people lean towards the first.. I think the first is more GnRish and the 2nd was more STPish... I have had periods where I liked either more than the other. 

Snakepit albums are good but a bit outdated... 

World On Fire is great.. The only thing holding it back are the Myles vocals at times.. Sometimes they are great and others they resemble a whiny "Mickey"

If you want a mixed bag go for his first solo album with all the guests.. It really shows how diverse Slash can be..

18 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Isn't the second Snakepit album a bit cheesy? 

I thought so but there are still some good tracks on there

15 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

Libertad is the best of all!

Never even try listening to Apocalyptic Love. When I heard that for the first time I couldn't believe Slash was capable of writing such a shit - on all accounts - vocals, guitars, solos, sound production...etc...

Ever since never listened to it again..

Anastasia?? 

I would suggest checking out all his post GNR work. listen to it for yourself and form your own opinions on his stuff. Dont let someone turn you off from something you havent listened because they dont like it. 

personally I like almost all of the post GNR stuff. the exception being Libertad, which I didnt like much with the exception of a few songs on it. 

I love the first Snakepit, It's Five O'Clock Somewhere, as much as I love GNR albums.  Its brash.  As Slash has said it was recorded under the influence of Ab Fab, but its also just pure grit.  And I like that it has plenty of jam band elements.  I love the hilarious fact that there are way more guitar tracks than anything on CD for many of the tunes - and still you can hear Gilby laying down some truly tasty rhythm riffs.  Sorum and Inez are a mighty rhythm section.  Among the greatest ever imo.

Also having come out in 95, mixing with the party vibe of it, it also captures the atmosphere of sorrow and regret about the scourge of ODs and suicides that had already become pervasive in rock. (Hoon, Cobain, Savanna).  It goes from those themes to "the cat is in the dryer, who's the asshole who did that?!"

Edited by soon