Rate: Garden of Eden

Just now, AslatIE said:

England ain't mine first langague!

In your defence I was being slightly obtuse :lol:  Theres no great original message there, just an important one thats actually put forward reasonably eloquently and you dont often find Axl doing eloquent.  

Theres a wonderful tone of senselessnessto it, not just in the obvious sense of war itself being senseless but the hopelessness of even singing about it which is not the approach a lot of songs have gone for when broaching the subject, ‘my hands are tied’ i think is a brilliant line and when sung as passionate sounding as Axl was capable of back then it comes off as brilliant, that entire verse really is the making of the songs for me, theres some great lines in there, ‘the billions shift from side to side’ and ‘bloody hands of the hypnotised who carry the cross of homocide’, ‘carry the cross of homocide is just a brilliant line to me, as in they carry the cross to represent or carry the cross as burden or carry the cross with the obvious religious connotation, i really like it.

What I also like about the song that it doesnt really offer a solution either, its a despairing sort of song which is an interesting and kinda different approach for GnR, thats what I get from it anyway.  

Outside of this song Axl Roses best social commentary comes when he is being irretrievably cynical, that kinda stuff comes off great from him, Bad Apples and Pretty Tied Up...other examples have been kinda ranty like Right Next Door to Hell...or Dont Damn Me (which veers pretty sharply into patronizing)...but Civil War, or that one verse in Civil War anyway, is the closest he ever came to eloquence with it.  

He has a go on Chi Dem again with Catcher in the Rye but hes grown way too old and way too hippie-ish by then.

• Like 3

I think i'ts great, just hammers along down the line. Axls as his best lyrically here, as Lenny says it's a social commentary.....and did the guy miss anything in that commentary?, racism-sex-religion-paranoia-social awkwardness-governments-sycopants! . The chorus is kinda a middle finger to his and worlds problems, r'n'r is the place you can lost in and forget about everything...well it's what i get from it anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Outside of this song Axl Roses best social commentary comes when he is being irretrievably cynical, that kinda stuff comes off great from him, Bad Apples and Pretty Tied Up...

i am pretty sure those 2 songs are mainly izzy lyrics

there is quite a lot of evidence (interviews etc) that izzy wrote most of pretty tied up so its likely he did most of (or all of) the lyrics as well

in rio 1991 before bad apples there is a telling dialogue... slash says he wants to play the song and axl says something like `huh, ok`. then slash starts to introduce the song and axl makes a point in saying that he doesnt know `the words`. AND izzy sings the entire song along with Axl...

so i am not sure those are axl`s social commentaries, they are most likely izzy`s i suppose

6 hours ago, ludurigan said:

love this version

That was cool.. So many of the Heavier Illusions tracks just lost something in the studio.. I am guessing it is Izzy.. The They heavier songs like You Could Be Mine where you can hear him clear as day are so much better.. They all should have been mixed like You Could Be Mine.. And without the stupid sound effects... So many songs on Use Your Illusions could have went from good to great... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ludurigan said:

i am pretty sure those 2 songs are mainly izzy lyrics

there is quite a lot of evidence (interviews etc) that izzy wrote most of pretty tied up so its likely he did most of (or all of) the lyrics as well

in rio 1991 before bad apples there is a telling dialogue... slash says he wants to play the song and axl says something like `huh, ok`. then slash starts to introduce the song and axl makes a point in saying that he doesnt know `the words`. AND izzy sings the entire song along with Axl...

so i am not sure those are axl`s social commentaries, they are most likely izzy`s i suppose

Well, Guns then.

I've always loved it. I think the music video is fantastic as well. It's nice that in the era of bloated UYI music videos that they put out something so simple and rocking. The bouncing ball was a nice tongue in cheek touch. Slash's solo alone makes the song for me - his usual touch of playing the right notes at the right time.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2017 at 1:14 AM, RONIN said:

Slash @ 2:54 = :lol:

GOE is a back to basics lean rocker that potentially was a breath of fresh air for AFD purists that felt Illusions was too bloated with songs that didn't rock hard enough. 

Right Next Door to Hell, Perfect Crime and GOE seem to be GnR's punk metal trilogy on Illusions.

Great without the sound effects

Pretty sure it was the least expensive video they've made...or that it was made after/the same time they made one of their more expensive videos.

As for the song, I like it better now than I did back then.  I prefer Right Next Door to Hell if I had to pick one out of the two...but it's not a bad song to jam out to...and it's still somewhat fresh, since I've listened to it probably 1/10 of the times as many of their other songs.

10 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is probably a good example of Stradlin's rhythm being squeezed out in the mix. Good song but it suffers from the lack of Izzy and I think Rose threw on some beeps and farts which also doesn't help.

To me Izzy's tone sounds too thin ( maybe his perchant for Tele's at the time?) on that particular track and he kinda strums along in a similar vein to Don't Damn Me, it works on that track which has more groove...but this one borders more on a thrash metal riff and i'm not sure it does. This song needed a You're Crazy type twin attack.