Rate: Garden of Eden

Slash @ 2:54 = :lol:

GOE is a back to basics lean rocker that potentially was a breath of fresh air for AFD purists that felt Illusions was too bloated with songs that didn't rock hard enough. 

Right Next Door to Hell, Perfect Crime and GOE seem to be GnR's punk metal trilogy on Illusions.

The song suffers slightly from the video which comes off as a bit hammy.  Right Next Door to Hell is probably the better song.  Same with Perfect Crime.  Garden of Eden is sort of like social commentary by Axl Rose...and he's done a better job of it with songs like Civil War which is probably, as far as making a statement goes, the best work GnR ever did. 

The video is like old and dying Guns n Roses being badass and Rock 'n Roll for the last time. They look like the badass rockers they are having fun and Axl looks so un-November Rain-ish (there, I created a word) in it. That's why I always liked it.

The song - yeah, well. It's ok. Not terribly bad, not good either. 

Question. Is this the first music video with the (i don't know the name of the effect) 0,5 Speed Lipsync video and after the recording the footage is speed up normaly so they movement looks fast with the normal speed with the video?

I see many music videos with this effect: like Judas by Fozzy or American Idiot by Green Day or Yellow by Coldplay (they slowed down the movment)

but who did it first? Guns N' Roses? or a another artist?

Edited by t-p-d-a

When i first heard it I loved it and would get pumped when the video came on.  And the sound effects blew my mind.  Now the song doesn't really do much for me.  The main riff seems to lack direction to my ears - its like a non-riff riff.  The chorus is good rock n roll and performed really well by everyone singing (actually it reminds me of how the refrain of There Was A Time captured this cool, swagger, with various voices, in a similar way).  GOE has yet another great guitar solo too.

In ways it epitomizes the UYI era:

The mix: The Duff talking part really highlights how scooped out the sonics were - how the music was robbed of audio frequencies and volume to allow for talking over a metal song.  

The guitars:  Anyone got a booklet handy - did Izzy even play on this?  The rhythm track is blatantly Slash's rig (but maybe Izzy's just even more buried?)

The videos:  In a thread recently just about the video it was found that there was at least three versions of this video.  One with streamer and no bouncy ball lyrics, one with bouncy ball and no streamers and one with both.  And thats on top of making this video being an after thought while on set making yet another video for different song (yesterdays I think).  Over indulgence was the hallmark of this era.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I rate it 10/10.  Bloody love this song.  Thanks @soon for your insight.  I don't understand the TWAT reference you mentioned though?  I don't hear TWAT influence in this song?

Yeah, they're such different songs.  It always stood out to me how chilled out the backing vocals in the chorus of GOE is, compared to the heavy metal nature of the tune. To me the vocal approach in the chorus of GOE is perhaps evoked in There Was a Times chorus?  In that there are multiple back up singers, singing in unison with a very relaxed yet world worn, gutter yet decadent, rock n' roll swagger.  In GOE Axl is singing a lead part that only deviates slightly form the back up vocals and in Time theres no real lead vocal line. In both there's a laid back snarl, barely-cares-but-still-has-a-bounce-to-it vibe, to my ears. If that makes any sense, lol.  I guess to my ears they just share one of Guns many great trademarks: backing vocals one can sing with a cigarette hanging out the mouth.

Now that Im thinking about it, Im really craving Garden of Eden actually.  Gotta throw it on the stereo! 

Edited by soon
  • GNFNR 1

I see what you mean now - you have a great way of putting things!  I hear a shared vocal aspect with the part in TWAT beginning, 'It was the wrong time for you, it was the wrong time for me."  Axl's 'speaking voice' at the beginning of GOE is similar in tone or attitude to the speaking voice that's in the background of the TWAT line, 'It was the wrong time for you...etc'  And the guitars sound similar, just slower in TWAT than GOE.   Never would have linked those two!  The many voices of Axl. lol  He was really talented.

• GNFNR 1

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The only good thing about the video is Dizzy and the other guy's spasticated dancing in the background. 

I was having my focus on that as well lol, I wonder if they were drunk or high or completely sober to be able to do that for 3 minutes long

19 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I see what you mean now - you have a great way of putting things!  I hear a shared vocal aspect with the part in TWAT beginning, 'It was the wrong time for you, it was the wrong time for me."  Axl's 'speaking voice' at the beginning of GOE is similar in tone or attitude to the speaking voice that's in the background of the TWAT line, 'It was the wrong time for you...etc'  And the guitars sound similar, just slower in TWAT than GOE.   Never would have linked those two!  The many voices of Axl. lol  He was really talented.

Those Axl parts too - yes!  Hadn't picked up on that, but I really see what you mean.  That almost sinister talking type voice.  Hmmm, how are they so connected, lol?  And yeah I think the guitar tone is similar in sections and that maybe whereas Guns didn't always have a beefy metal guitar tone in the mix, NuGuns very often did and it was in the lineage of tracks like GOE.  So many Axl voices!  And he's still pulling out new ones like we heard in Better at Apollo!! 

(And thanks, you're too kind about my way of putting things :)

8 hours ago, soon said:

When i first heard it I loved it and would get pumped when the video came on.  And the sound effects blew my mind.  Now the song doesn't really do much for me.  The main riff seems to lack direction to my ears - its like a non-riff riff.  The chorus is good rock n roll and performed really well by everyone singing (actually it reminds me of how the refrain of There Was A Time captured this cool, swagger, with various voices, in a similar way).  GOE has yet another great guitar solo too.

In ways it epitomizes the UYI era:

The mix: The Duff talking part really highlights how scooped out the sonics were - how the music was robbed of audio frequencies and volume to allow for talking over a metal song.  

The guitars:  Anyone got a booklet handy - did Izzy even play on this?  The rhythm track is blatantly Slash's rig (but maybe Izzy's just even more buried?)

The videos:  In a thread recently just about the video it was found that there was at least three versions of this video.  One with streamer and no bouncy ball lyrics, one with bouncy ball and no streamers and one with both.  And thats on top of making this video being an after thought while on set making yet another video for different song (yesterdays I think).  Over indulgence was the hallmark of this era.

The booklet lists Izzy as playing rhythm, but it definitely sounds like Slash playing all over the track. I loved this one a lot in my youth. Today, the cheesy "whoosh" sound effects make me cringe. Is it a guitar or synth making that sound effect? I've never been 100% sure. The 1989 rehearsal, however, renewed my appreciation for the song. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

The booklet lists Izzy as playing rhythm, but it definitely sounds like Slash playing all over the track. I loved this one a lot in my youth. Today, the cheesy "whoosh" sound effects make me cringe. Is it a guitar or synth making that sound effect? I've never been 100% sure. The 1989 rehearsal, however, renewed my appreciation for the song. 

Yeah, discussing it and hearing different takes got me really into the song today!  I still dont hear Izzy, but will keep trying.  Maybe Izzy went full metal for this one?

Thanks for checking that out.  The Mates takes are definitely cool!  And let us hear some Izzy I think  - and if so most of those parts arent audible to my ears on album.  I'd say that most of the whoosh type sound are synths, that one major whoosh I think might be generated by 'backwards effect' and a 'swell effect.'  Id imagine that sound too is initiated by a synth, but could be a guitar too?  It's so processed.  Which way to you lean on it?