Locomotive live from the Use Your Illusion tour

This version is played a bit too fast for my liking but it's still great, one of my favourite UYI tracks.  Axl's vocals though...fuck, he wasn't messin' around that night.  Awesome to hear.

I've been wishing for ages that they would play an instrumental of Locomotive similar to Paris 92 jam with Jeff Beck.  It would give Axl a break, is up-tempo enough to keep the crowd happy and has ample scope for soloing/extended jam sessions. 

20 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

This version is played a bit too fast for my liking but it's still great, one of my favourite UYI tracks.  Axl's vocals though...fuck, he wasn't messin' around that night.  Awesome to hear.

I've been wishing for ages that they would play an instrumental of Locomotive similar to Paris 92 jam with Jeff Beck.  It would give Axl a break, is up-tempo enough to keep the crowd happy and has ample scope for soloing/extended jam sessions. 

I like the tempo myself. I remember seeing that clip with Jeff Beck, I think even a short 3-5 minute instrumental break would be awesome too. Even just to keep things fresh.

46 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

No.  Absolutely not.  Nor Pretty Tied Up or any of those oft requested wish list songs.  And I don't want to see him try.  I really don't.

Pretty tied up? On a good night he could knock that out of the park... verses are all his speaking voice... if he can sing jungle he can sing PTU lol

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

No.  Absolutely not.  Nor Pretty Tied Up or any of those oft requested wish list songs.  And I don't want to see him try.  I really don't.

I would actually be very surprised If he couldn't pull off Pretty Tied Up. It doesn't seem to be anywhere near as difficult as Coma or Locomotive, but I could be wrong.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

Pretty tied up? On a good night he could knock that out of the park... verses are all his speaking voice... if he can sing jungle he can sing PTU lol

@ironmt

Don't get me stared on Pretty Tied Up! :P It's not just about register or speaking voice, but tone.  He doesn't have that tone anymore, has never once sang a single note in that tone on this tour ever.  Not even Double Talkin' Jive, which is the closest he comes to it.  I know.  I've been listening very carefully for it. LOL  "that bitch is just insane vocal' he cannot achieve.  The song also requires him to use his different voices trick which he doesn't pull off at all (see Brownstone and Better).  And the chorus...no.  And he can't sing Jungle.  And he rarely has a good night.  Just no.  I'm starting to freak out at the thought of it now. :lol:

57 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

@ironmt

Don't get me stared on Pretty Tied Up! :P It's not just about register or speaking voice, but tone.  He doesn't have that tone anymore, has never once sang a single note in that tone on this tour ever.  Not even Double Talkin' Jive, which is the closest he comes to it.  I know.  I've been listening very carefully for it. LOL  "that bitch is just insane vocal' he cannot achieve.  The song also requires him to use his different voices trick which he doesn't pull off at all (see Brownstone and Better).  And the chorus...no.  And he can't sing Jungle.  And he rarely has a good night.  Just no.  I'm starting to freak out at the thought of it now. :lol:

lol, you may be right, he might not be able to pull It off. But I have to tell you, I am up for him taking the risk. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I can't even begin to describe how much Locomotive would add to the set as a regular. Or as a show closer? Fucking incredible it certainly would be. Don't get why they don't alternate it with Coma, musically one of the bands best achievements

I was just going to say and have before that would be a great song to rotate with COMA. Awesome deep Illusions track.. Keep people guessing.. Switch it up a bit... I would kill to see that riff and outro live..

3 hours ago, WWEROSES said:

Axls vocals were just intense and raspy as fuck. I can't help but imagine how his current voice would handle it. I completely agree with you StrangerinThisTown. Alternating this Coma would be ideal or just cut off a few covers. 

Yes, or cut out a cover or two as well... Certainly have room to cut a CD songs out now while they are at it ;)

2 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Could Axl even sing Perfect Crime at this point?

Hell no

7 minutes ago, Nosaj Thing said:

That one, underrated song where the entire band shines.  A true, genuine masterpiece.

Axl's perfect lyrics emanate the bitterness that possessed him back then which, at the same time, awakens that furious and raging vocals we all love.

And to think a proshot of that performance in the OP exists, just sitting in a vault somewhere for 26 years now, never to be seen. Awful..

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

This version is played a bit too fast for my liking but it's still great

The version linked to is definitely sped up a little bit, I could tell from the pitch of the song which is a bit sharper than perfectly in-tune Eb standard, probably not too too much of a tempo change but that could be part of why it seems so fast

the Shoreline Amphitheatre performance of Locomotive is just mindblowing! one of my most favourite bootlegs ever. and what's even more mindblowing - this was the first ever public performance of the song, still way before the UYI albums were released. this is truly a gem!

• GNFNR 1

and FUCK, this song is the one I'm listening to when I'm going through bad shit, usually breakup (what else could it be). 

because those lyrics are so much on spot... meet some great partner, fall in love, build some "illusions", get dumped for no obvious reason, and trying to deal with it because there's nothing else you can do. 

this song is even MORE "there" than Don't Cry, goddamnit!

I've heard Locomotive and i said "we need a remaster". This is just a work in progress because the only source i have is the video posted above, but if you have a FLAC version please, post a link.

Here is a sample, you can hear first the original audio and then the work in progress remaster:

Edited by fernomenoyde
  • Like 2

I love that song.  Always one of my favorites off of the illusions.  I will probably take heat for saying this, but there is actually too much rasp on it.  His voice was taking a beating on that tour and it was really showing.  I love rasp but I love the controlled in tune rasp that he usually has.  I think Axl has way more control over his voice now.  I hate the clean Mickey voice but If he wanted to, he could really do this song justice now.  

Just now, yourcrazy said:

I love that song.  Always one of my favorites off of the illusions.  I will probably take heat for saying this, but there is actually too much rasp on it.  His voice was taking a beating on that tour and it was really showing.  I love rasp but I love the controlled in tune rasp that he usually has.  I think Axl has way more control over his voice now.  I hate the clean Mickey voice but If he wanted to, he could really do this song justice now.  

The first part of the Illusions tour was way to raspy in my opinion, although I do think that it fits the chorus of Locomotive perfectly! 

On some shows during the spring of '91 it was actually painful to listen to songs like SCOM and November Rain. 

I'm not a fan of 2017 Axl on those songs but they certainty weren't great in '91 either, people sadly forget that at times. ;)

• Like 1