Deeper With Slash and Joe Perry (Sixx Sense radio interview)

6 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Yeah, I do really like Nikki, although I wish he wouldn't talk over the top of Slash so much. lol

One of the things I took away from the interview was that the NITL tour was not like the old days, but a completely different i.e. positive experience.  I think that's really good to know.  I wonder if when he mentioned feeling 'the magic' in a band, he had the current line-up in mind?  

Also, interesting choice of words when he talks about the guitar tech he once had in 88 who came back to him, 'Once Guns started up again'... ha!  We agree with you Slash! LOL

The other thing I'm pleased about is that Slash and Axl are genuinely friends again; it's not a cash grab act as I'd feared for quite a while.  Watching him, you clearly sense the warmth he has towards Axl.  And he is so obviously happy about the tour - he can't help smiling as he's talking about it.  ^_^

It's a good indication that new music could be ironed out at some point. I'm sure it will at some point, it's just a question of what material is or isn't used. 

3 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Of course it's SMKC material. He's been seen with those guys not duff, Dizzy, Richard or frank. I honestly don't believe he has any desire to jam and write with Richard and drummer like frank 

Yeah, no desire whatsoever... He's only tried to lobby Richard from guns to join his band years ago. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

One more angle to take away from Slash not outright saying that he's going into the studio recording the next Slash/Myles/Conspirators album is that Walking Papers has a show in Seattle this month.

According to this post here,  http://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/219498-walking-papers-duffs-other-side-project-wp2-album-due-january/?do=findComment&comment=4518901 , Duff's name is not on it, but all the other guys in the band is on it.  I found it quite odd that for a guy like Duff that lives, breathes, hype everything about Seattle that his name is not on that Facebook post, indicating that he's not going to be playing the show?  What's he doing in that period aside from spending time with the family?

Edited by Anguyen92

17 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Transcript of the part about GnR:

---------

Nikki: Anything about GnR that you want to talk about, like how it felt...

Slash: We can talk about it, I mean yeah, we can talk about... I mean, all things considered, the tour, you know, what ended up being NITL, that kind of thing, you know... I left in ’96 and Axl and I didn’t talk in... so 2015...

Nikki: So, I kinda wondered a little bit about the similarities, because like when Motley broke up we’re not friends, and... It left a little hole in my heart.

Slash: Well, there was always that thing. I won’t get into to all the personal stuff...

Nikki: Yeah, we don’t want to get into that anyway.

Slash: But, you know, over all that period of time, there was, you know, a lot of bad feelings, from the break up up into... all throughout, that whole 20 years, whatever it was.

Nikki: That’s crazy, 20 years...

Slash: But you know, there is also a part of you, that’s like in a marriage, where you love somebody, you know, so there is always that feeling, but then there is all this negative stuff, and...

Nikki: Sure.

Slash: Any...

Nikki: ...which by the way comes from a lot of people.

Slash: Well, there was so much stuff perpetuated in the media and just blown up out of proportion. So when he and I talked for the first time, it was really, really cool.

-Was it in person?

Slash: Yeah, that was...  No, first time we spoke was on the phone, and then we got together when I got back into town, because I was on the road. I was in Peru, I remember it specifically. But it was very cathartic to...

Nikki: I can see that.

Slash: ...to physically talk, ‘cause I mean there’s a bond you have that it’s never... you know...

Nikki: For sure.

Slash: And then it makes the break up... I mean what happened... it’s just... the bond makes the negative side that much worse, because you’re forced out of it. Anyway, so... When we got together and played, it was Coachella. It was just fuckin’ awesome. And we played the Troubadour, it was the first gig that we did. And so... and it just snowballed from there. 18 months... It’s been... I mean I would never, you know... If you talked to me 20 months ago, I would have said ‘No fucking way. It’s not ever gonna happen.’ But it did, and it was fuckin’ awesome.

Nikki: And it happened at the right time. It’s a time there are people ready... Obviously you see it in the ticket sales and the enthusiasm from fans, and the different generations... The cool thing about being gone as long as the band was gone, the original band, is that people discover you, but never ever could ever see you.

Slash: There was a lot of that...

Nikki: So it’s like ‘this is our chance’ and that’s fantastic. And I’m sure it made everything much, much better. It must have been kind of weird to look over and there’s Duff and Axl... I didn’t think this would ever happen.

Slash: Yes, it’s very surreal. You know, these moments on stage, where you short of take stock of where you are at the moment and you go ‘oh wow, this isn’t true’.

Nikki: Yeah, look at this. It’s sort of like seeing the guys from when you were kids.

Slash: And the funny thing... There’s something about this particular tour, that it didn’t make me... it didn’t take me back to, you know, the last tour in the 90s, where... It wasn’t reminiscent of that, it was completely uniquely its own new thing. Same guys, same songs, but a whole different experience.

Thanks @Blackstar for you transcription, nice hear SLASH talk about Axl:bitchfight:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:
3 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I've always felt something was going on around that time. Gilby was the opening act on that SMKC tour and Duff put Loaded back together to play one show in Argentina (which according to the promoter, he basically offered himself to play) on March 7, making it some sort of GNR festival. So turns out one or two days later, Axl called Slash, cool.

Yeah, I remember we were speculating on it in the WT, because they had all jammed together in Argentina (it was Paradise City, I think). The crowd was shouting "Guns N' Roses" and Slash, a little pissed off,  took the mic and said "you've got to get this out of your system". We'd wondered if the phone call had occurred and Slash was acting. A few hours after the show (or the next day) Axl tweeted "Don't cry for me Argentina" and then deleted it  :lol: I turns out that right after that he called Slash. This is all so funny.

Riiiiight! I had completely forgotten about the "Don't cry for me Argentina" tweet and all the drama surrounding that event. :lol:

Maybe knowing about so many of his ex-bandmates being in the same place finally pissed Axl off enough (or made him nostalgic and wistful enough?) to pick up the phone after all these years?

And yes, it's indeed all very hilarious in retrospect. :rofl-lol::facepalm:

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

8 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Is it odd that Slash is referring to the NITL tour in past tense when there are still dates for this year's European festival circut?

Because 2018 is the NITL reunion for Axl and DJ Ashba of course.

jk donthateme

5 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I've always felt something was going on around that time. Gilby was the opening act on that SMKC tour and Duff put Loaded back together to play one show in Argentina (which according to the promoter, he basically offered himself to play) on March 7, making it some sort of GNR festival. So turns out one or two days later, Axl called Slash, cool.

You be " Sherlock" 🔍🔍🔍🌞

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, I remember we were speculating on it in the WT, because they had all jammed together in Argentina (it was Paradise City, I think). The crowd was shouting "Guns N' Roses" and Slash, a little pissed off,  took the mic and said "you've got to get this out of your system". We'd wondered if the phone call had occurred and Slash was acting. A few hours after the show (or the next day) Axl tweeted "Don't cry for me Argentina" and then deleted it  :lol: I turns out that right after that he called Slash. This is all so funny.

Poor slash must have almost had a heart attack when he got the call:lol:

24 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Poor slash must have almost had a heart attack when he got the call:lol:

I think he was already waiting for the call. I mean, Axl or TB must have talked to Duff or somebody else before to see if there would be any problems.

5 minutes ago, Derick said:

I think he was already waiting for the call. I mean, Axl or TB must have talked to Duff or somebody else before to see if there would be any problems.

Yeah would be interested to know if that was the case or he just got the call straight out of the blue without knowing of conversations happening or that had happened between duff and axl already. Im sure slash was told what was going on when axl and duff were trying to discuss the past and the how/what/why scenarios of the breakup and slash leaving occurred.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

Yeah would be interested to know if that was the case or he just got the call straight out of the blue without knowing of conversations happening or that had happened between duff and axl already. Im sure slash was told what was going on when axl and duff were trying to discuss the past and the how/what/why scenarios of the breakup and slash leaving occurred.

If i recall correctly, Axl told Fernando to get him Slash's number, so he probably had to reach out to his management for that. I'm sure Slash knew beforehand.

1 hour ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

If i recall correctly, Axl told Fernando to get him Slash's number, so he probably had to reach out to his management for that. I'm sure Slash knew beforehand.

I think After Axl & Duff finally met im that hotel in London and the times they hung out subsequently. One time with Susan invited. I think Axl expressed one of his key issues in reuniting with Slash was Perla forcing herself into the mix in any way. 

Duff relayed Axls feelings to Slash. Suddenly & Miraculously Meegan his girlfriend 25yrs ago entered the picture and Perla got the boot. Thats when they started planning all this guns stuff.

Once as soon as Axl got the word that Perla was completely out of the picture he called Slash.

everyone made out great especially Duff and Susan since Duff was disappearing into irrelevancy after VR

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I remember some of us (at least I was) waiting the whole night and watching the whole Slash gig in Argentina just to see if the rumors were true :facepalm:

The day before Mitch Lafon tweeted some cryptic things and we all put 2 and 2 together. Now I don't know how Mitch Lafon knew this but it seems to me that a lot was cooking in the background and we couldn't see the big picture back then but now it is very clear.

Also, do you remember there were other cryptic messages on the GNR Twitter about media :question: and they posted a video from Argentina show too.... It was all so weird.... Plus the tweet from Axl, I caught it right when it happened, at 6AM my time but when I clicked the link it was already gone! I should have taken screenshot 😤

The other thing that happened was Slash leaving Perla. In 2014 (or was it 2015?) we learned of an Slash/Erin encounter and then Erin posting a picture of Slash and Meegan kissing and hugging. All of this coincides with the theories of Mick Wall last book.

All in all, I like how we didn't miss all these clues and analyzed them to the bone at the WT, even though it wasn't very clear at the time, now it all makes sense.

So I think we're gonna figure out if there will be new music same way :slash:

Get ready Blackstar!!! :dance:

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Axl said in the Brazilian tv interview that their "people" had been talking before the phone call. But that thing, i.e. discussions/negotiations between their lawyers and promoters most likely had occurred  other times in the past without going anywhere. This time Axl made the big decision probably for a combination of reasons: being warmed on the idea because of his reconnection with Duff, being mentally/emotionally ready, NuGnR being on a dead end on many levels (financially, playing Vegas residencies, members leaving etc. and maybe Axl being tired of it), good offer from Coachella, the other side accepting some of his basic terms, etc.

Slash had taken a step on a personal level a month before the phone call by tweeting Axl happy birthday, but he seemingly still wasn't sure of what to expect from Axl because it's Axl;  so, all things considered (as he says :lol:) the call must have taken him by surprise.

An interesting bit in the interview is when Slash says that if he had been asked 20 months ago he would have said that the tour would never happen. I think he means that he didn't expect it to go much further than Coachella and developing into a long, successful and drama-free world tour (because, again, it's Axl, and even contracts etc. can't do much). Axl on his part had expressed a similar sentiment in the China Exchange interview, saying that the whole thing might have imploded, but all things were going well so far.

Good analysis but there's one thing that bugs me about if axl wasnt enjoying nuguns anymore. If he felt that nuguns was no longer an exciting band anymore why didnt he release the songs that could make up cd2 and cd3 and tour both of those. The cd tour toured for way to long and i dont know why he didnt tour cd for 18 month then release cd2 and rinse and repeat. I thought the only time he would ever contemplate bringing slash back was if cd2 and 3  there was no interest level and then he would be forced to play vegas residency then he would have thought fuck it and then contemplated the reunion we saw. Dont get me wrong i have enjoyed the reunion and waited 24 years,  i just felt axl threw the towel in to soon and always wondered why he never fought to release more music before making the phonecall to slash.

7 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

I think After Axl & Duff finally met im that hotel in London and the times they hung out subsequently. One time with Susan invited. I think Axl expressed one of his key issues in reuniting with Slash was Perla forcing herself into the mix in any way. 

Duff relayed Axls feelings to Slash. Suddenly & Miraculously Meegan his girlfriend 25yrs ago entered the picture and Perla got the boot. Thats when they started planning all this guns stuff.

Once as soon as Axl got the word that Perla was completely out of the picture he called Slash.

everyone made out great especially Duff and Susan since Duff was disappearing into irrelevancy after VR

Yep all a cooncidence that everything seemed to happen once slashs divorce was in full swing. I had read somewhere that axl despised perla and was one of the reasons axl never wanted a reunion. I think marc canter told her that should a reunion take place she would not be within a radius of the band. All she seemed to be and im sure axl saw thos was all about status and money and just a difficult person.

Edited by Sydney Fan

12 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Good analysis but there's one thing that bugs me about if axl wasnt enjoying nuguns anymore. If he felt that nuguns was no longer an exciting band anymore why didnt he release the songs that could make up cd2 and cd3 and tour both of those. The cd tour toured for way to long and i dont know why he didnt tour cd for 18 month then release cd2 and rinse and repeat. I thought the only time he would ever contemplate bringing slash back was if cd2 and 3  there was no interest level and then he would be forced to play vegas residency then he would have thought fuck it and then contemplated the reunion we saw. Dont get me wrong i have enjoyed the reunion and waited 24 years,  i just felt axl threw the towel in to soon and always wondered why he never fought to release more music before making the phonecall to slash.

I've wondered this too.  Be interesting to get @Blackstar's opinion.  @RONIN has some useful insight on this topic as well.  I personally believe that after the poor reception of CD, Axl suffered a crisis of confidence. Basically, he didn't believe in himself or his work enough to want to release any more music, even though he had recorded something like another 30 or 40 songs, I think it was?  

I think he's always had this ongoing issue (lot of artists in the music/entertainment industry have surprisingly low self-esteem) but the long term CD shenanigans, the label's lack of faith in Axl, CD not being a commercial success and other dramas in his personal life took its toll.  I also think much of his drive and motivation was gone after Buckethead left - he pretty much gave up after that.  Just my thoughts on it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I've wondered this too.  Be interesting to get @Blackstar's opinion.  @RONIN has some useful insight on this topic as well.  I personally believe that after the poor reception of CD, Axl suffered a crisis of confidence. Basically, he didn't believe in himself or his work enough to want to release any more music, even though he had recorded something like another 30 or 40 songs, I think it was?  

I think he's always had this ongoing issue (lot of artists in the music/entertainment industry have surprisingly low self-esteem) but the long term CD shenanigans, the label's lack of faith in Axl, CD not being a commercial success and other dramas in his personal life took its toll.  I also think much of his drive and motivation was gone after Buckethead left - he pretty much gave up after that.  Just my thoughts on it.

Interesting analysis 🖒. I also wondered if with the lack of success whether interscope were none to happy and told axl any future recordings they will no longer support financially and would have to fund himself. 

8 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

I don´t know but maybe any chance Axl would release new songs with the previous lineup fell apart when he saw the possibility of having Duff and Slash back and (to me) it happened in sometime around 2010 after that meeting with Duff in London. I think he just lost interest in releasing any album with that lineup, since Slash n´Duff's return became something possible.

6 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I think he was forced into a financial situation where his only option was to keep it going?

As you say, Axl had stated his intention to release CD11 and 111 every 1.5 - 2 years.  Touring for the release of CD starts late with behind the scenes label, Axl and legal issues. So touring begins in 2009.  In 2010 Axl and Azoff sue one another.  2011 (in theory when 'round 2' should begin) it is rumoured that Axl did turn in a release to label and it was rejected.  Whether or not that took place, 2011 was also when Axl and Azoff settled law suits.

From article:

Howard King, Azoff’s high-power lawyer, told the press, “They [lawsuits] were settled to the mutual satisfaction of the parties.” The terms of the agreement are being kept under wraps but legal papers filed by Rose’s lawyers state that the deal would involve “a comprehensive touring agreement, in which Guns ‘N Roses would perform at various… venues”.

http://noisecreep.com/axl-rose-and-irving-azoff-settle-lawsuit/

Perhaps this is a main reason: he had to play at Azoff venues with in a time frame?  He had a band up and running, a reunion would be a mine field to navigate.  Just do the gigs?

Also, I watched a video very recently, I believe it was Axl talking on stage and he talked about some law suit that left him broke 'basically forcing me to stay on the road'  I wish I could find it.  I think it was likely posted on the forum if anyone can remember? 

Edited by soon
  • Like 2