Gardening

Gracii Guns

That was book one.  You're a new character in book 3.  Of course it's a trilogy. :lol:

We are getting the smoke from the California wildfires this weekend.

Susan went to the house for the last time.  Her dad is still in the hospital.

Edited by cineater

1 hour ago, cineater said:

That was book one.  You're a new character in book 3.  Of course it's a trilogy. :lol:

We are getting the smoke from the California wildfires this weekend.

Susan went to the house for the last time.  Her dad is still in the hospital.

Part 4 of a trilogy, Like the Estranged video? :lol: How did my character enter the story, if I may ask?

What - that is so far away!!!

Oh Susan, so much going on. How id she feel leaving the house for the last time?

More rain here and day two of cold. Feels like autumn arrived early.

6 hours ago, soon said:

I hear you - I feel the same way about my beans! :lol: I wonder what a pepper would taste like at this stage? Dude, the flavour profiles you come up with sound so good! I hope to buy a bottle one day.

Thanks for the fertilizer link! Sure did the trick this time round! Im loving those purple jalapeño plants - they produce like this using soil nutrients alone, they look gorgeous and flower for longer than some flowering ornamentals. Do you know if theres any difference in taste?

Dont you love that feeling when you see first budding :dance:We are on day two of some chilly autumn weather here. Maybe it passes, but I want my black beans to hurry up in case the cold is here to stay already.

Supposedly the purple jalapenos are slightly sweeter and slightly hotter, but overall not too different from normal jalapenos. They ripen to a dark red colour so I'll wait until then before I eat one :P

The weather here is usually pretty decent until around early October, but I'll have to move the plants inside around then.

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Supposedly the purple jalapenos are slightly sweeter and slightly hotter, but overall not too different from normal jalapenos. They ripen to a dark red colour so I'll wait until then before I eat one :P

The weather here is usually pretty decent until around early October, but I'll have to move the plants inside around then.

Love those plants and the color of the fruit but not jalapenos.  You guys a living on the edge. :lol:

2 hours ago, soon said:

Part 4 of a trilogy, Like the Estranged video? :lol: How did my character enter the story, if I may ask?

What - that is so far away!!!

Oh Susan, so much going on. How id she feel leaving the house for the last time?

More rain here and day two of cold. Feels like autumn arrived early.

You were driving the lead wagon when the band slipped out of camp before dawn, unseen and disappeared into the fog.  

Keep on dancin' through the daylight
Greet the mornin' air with song
No ones's noticed, but the band's all pack and gone
Was it ever there at all?
But they keep on dancin'

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, cineater said:

Love those plants and the color of the fruit but not jalapenos.  You guys a living on the edge. :lol:

Yea they're nice as ornamental plants too. You could always just remove seeds from the jalapenos and still use them for flavour (in salsas or something maybe?) but I guess if you dislike the flavour that'd be pointless :lol:

Okay Soon you're dressed.  The pale blue jacket relates back into book two.  I wore one very similar when I first saw the fast horse.  Interesting how that fit in.

5 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea they're nice as ornamental plants too. You could always just remove seeds from the jalapenos and still use them for flavour (in salsas or something maybe?) but I guess if you dislike the flavour that'd be pointless :lol:

Flavor is good.  I can't handle the heat.

4 hours ago, Dazey said:

Applied for an allotment a few months ago and got the call today that one is available so I'm going along to check it out tomorrow. Looks like I'm going to spend a bit more time in this thread from now on. 

Good for you.  What made you do that?  What do you plan on growing?  You going to start your plants at home?  

23 minutes ago, cineater said:

Good for you.  What made you do that?  What do you plan on growing?  You going to start your plants at home?  

I used to spend a lot of time in my grandparents garden when I was younger and my grandad used to grow all sorts of produce. We live in an apartment at the moment so don't have any outdoor space and I thought I'd like to get back into it. I'd love to grow all sorts but don't really know where to start. It's a bit late to plant tomatoes this year but maybe onions, lettuce, cabbages, carrots, peas etc etc. Not sure what would be good for planting in autumn. Probably plant a few border flowers and wotnot too.

4 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I used to spend a lot of time in my grandparents garden when I was younger and my grandad used to grow all sorts of produce. We live in an apartment at the moment so don't have any outdoor space and I thought I'd like to get back into it. I'd love to grow all sorts but don't really know where to start. It's a bit late to plant tomatoes this year but maybe onions, lettuce, cabbages, carrots, peas etc etc. Not sure what would be good for planting in autumn. Probably plant a few border flowers and wotnot too.

My old dear grows pumpkins and...another vegetable that I don't know what its called in English :lol:  Tinda its called.  That and tomatoes and fuckloads of different flowers and God knows what else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinda

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

My old dear grows pumpkins and...another vegetable that I don't know what its called in English :lol:  Tinda its called.  That and tomatoes and fuckloads of different flowers and God knows what else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinda

I've no idea how to grow anything but I'm willing to learn. As long as I can get a decent sized telly and a fridge in the garden shed on the allotment I'll be happy. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Soon is your veggie boy.  I'm the flower girl in here.

14 hours ago, cineater said:

You were driving the lead wagon when the band slipped out of camp before dawn, unseen and disappeared into the fog.  

Keep on dancin' through the daylight
Greet the mornin' air with song
No ones's noticed, but the band's all pack and gone
Was it ever there at all?
But they keep on dancin'

I love this introduction!! Its perfect!! :headbang:

16 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Sweeter and hotter sounds perfect.... I mean when you think about it, that applies to many things, hot peppers, coffee, ladies... lol. When you mention the red colour (you should try them tho :P) that reminds me of one of my favourite antipasto, the marinated red jalapeño stuffed with provolone. So good.

We're usually the same, can even go until the end of October some years. But this cold still hasnt lifted. 

13 hours ago, cineater said:

Okay Soon you're dressed.  The pale blue jacket relates back into book two.  I wore one very similar when I first saw the fast horse.  Interesting how that fit in.

Thats too cool how the pale jacket was a throw back to earlier in the story. Makes one wonder sometimes.

Im making a lentil stew today. With carrots, cauliflower and broccoli. Along with Pho broth, sriracha and turmeric. And from the garden, tarragon, winter savoury and garlic chives.

2 hours ago, soon said:

Thats too cool how the pale jacket was a throw back to earlier in the story. Makes one wonder sometimes.

Im making a lentil stew today. With carrots, cauliflower and broccoli. Along with Pho broth, sriracha and turmeric. And from the garden, tarragon, winter savoury and garlic chives.

That sounds good!  My garden friends stayed 4 hours.  I feel bad I didn't get them food. 

Susan's house is gone and the check is in her hand.  She's very happy it's done.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cineater said:

That sounds good!  My garden friends stayed 4 hours.  I feel bad I didn't get them food. 

Susan's house is gone and the check is in her hand.  She's very happy it's done.

I thought that you get together was tomorrow. Sounds like everyone was enjoying themselves! Did any of the boys happen to walk by or anything? :lol:

I bet thats a load off for Susan. And Im happy she has you. 

I have had a lot of joy with lettuces and spinach this year, but sadly there hasn't been much sun for other stuff - the cherry tomatoes will ripen by picking them and sticking them in a drawer with a banana. I suppose the best hint I'd give a newbie is start off with idiot proof seed varieties, perennials, smaller vegetables but with high yields which don't need looking after. Choose seeds well adapted to rainier climes also. 

Also, stagger your planting times! You don't want 500 tomatoes arriving at once. 

PS

English - especially northern English - weather is so unpredictable. The summer of 2018, you could have had an entire cannabis farm growing naturally; you could have grown peppers without a greenhouse it was that hot!! 2019 and 2020 have been more turbulent (windy, lot of cloud). I am a bit of an expert on remembering the summers we get because of cricket haha. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have had a lot of joy with lettuces and spinach this year, but sadly there hasn't been much sun for other stuff - the cherry tomatoes will ripen by picking them and sticking them in a drawer with a banana. I suppose the best hint I'd give a newbie is start off with idiot proof seed varieties, perennials, smaller vegetables but with high yields which don't need looking after. Choose seeds well adapted to rainier climes also. 

Also, stagger your planting times! You don't want 500 tomatoes arriving at once. 

All good tips. Ive struggled with spinach a few times. Impressed and happy for you that you had a good spinach season. I tried growing lentils in a partial shade garden this year and it didnt work out.

Im a big proponent of perennials as well. And staggering too - berries are perfect as perennials that the different types (Strawberry, raspberry and blueberries) each ripen in their own month over summer. So you have a staggered harvest of berries all summer from plants you put in years ago! Here only Blueberries present any challenges. Super easy stuff. Nothing better than harvesting some strawberries and making strawberry milk! Or raspberry cheesecake! Chocolate covered blueberries! :drool:

If I planted today it would be peas, pattypans, red express cabbage, swiss chard and kale. Chard and kale can both survive being completely frozen in the garden for an extended period and the ice coated leaves are still perfectly good for cooking once harvested. Now thats some staggered harvesting too! Also Id seed/bulb any native flowers for the pollinators that want to be planted in fall.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, soon said:

All good tips. Ive struggled with spinach a few times. Impressed and happy for you that you had a good spinach season. I tried growing lentils in a partial shade garden this year and it didnt work out.

Im a big proponent of perennials as well. And staggering too - berries are perfect as perennials that the different types (Strawberry, raspberry and blueberries) each ripen in their own month over summer. So you have a staggered harvest of berries all summer from plants you put in years ago! Here only Blueberries present any challenges. Super easy stuff. Nothing better than harvesting some strawberries and making strawberry milk! Or raspberry cheesecake! Chocolate covered blueberries! :drool:

If I planted today it would be peas, pattypans, red express cabbage, swiss chard and kale. Chard and kale can both survive being completely frozen in the garden for an extended period and the ice coated leaves are still perfectly good for cooking once harvested. Now thats some staggered harvesting too! Also Id seed/bulb any native flowers for the pollinators that want to be planted in fall.

I might try Kale myself as I like it. Few years ago I had some success with runner beans and broad beans. I once grew broccoli, purple sprouting, only to find it takes two years, and caterpillars love it! Bit of a pain to be honest as I had to wack the caterpillars off every day (I was trying to be organic but it was very tempting to resort to pesticide).

Another tip (off my head),

- invest in some slug pellets, and if you are growing in pots put vaseline around the pot (lube that pot!); slugs love lettuces, spinach (and hostas).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I might try Kale myself as I like it. Few years ago I had some success with runner beans and broad beans. I once grew broccoli, purple sprouting, only to find it takes two years, and caterpillars love it! Bit of a pain to be honest as I had to wack the caterpillars off every day (I was trying to be organic but it was very tempting to resort to pesticide).

Another tip (off my head),

- invest in some slug pellets, and if you are growing in pots put vaseline around the pot (lube that pot!); slugs love lettuces, spinach (and hostas).

I should mentioned that only mature kale and chard will withstand the freeze. If it doesnt get mature enough, you can simply harvest the baby kale at that time.

Beans is my trigger word this year! I bought back beans that were to grow as a bush, rather than a vine. But the seeds where vines - larger than average even - and dont seem to be black beans. My only hope to salvage this shitty year was to grow a bunch of black bush beans :max:

I bought a year 2 broccoli from the nursery and had the same issues with caterpillars. And the florets were tiny. Ive not felt like trying again since. 

Great tip about the slugs. Scrunched up, pointy tin foil can keep them away too.

Just harvested some winter savoury. I could just sniff this all day, lol.

You guys are good.

No boys soon, lol.  Got a thank you from Shakedown Stream.  $250,000 raised but no mention of a return.  17 shows featured.  I'm not seeing anything on nugstv.  Susan has hardly said anything on our group chat today.  Might be sleeping off the last few months and the conclusion.

OMG, I corrupting Del now. :lol:  He's looking for cardboard boxes.  Told him I dumpster dive at the recycling center.  He ask them and they said no he couldn't do that.  He replied:  I may take you up on that provocation and possibly indulge in some high crimes and misdemeanors. :lol:  I got Susan cussing and Del on criminal road.  I must be stopped. :lol:

Edited by cineater
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, cineater said:

You guys are good.

No boys soon, lol.  Got a thank you from Shakedown Stream.  $250,000 raised but no mention of a return.  17 shows featured.  I'm not seeing anything on nugstv.  Susan has hardly said anything on our group chat today.  Might be sleeping off the last few months and the conclusion.

OMG, I corrupting Del now. :lol:  He's looking for cardboard boxes.  Told him I dumpster dive at the recycling center.  He ask them and they said no he couldn't do that.  He replied:  I may take you up on that provocation and possibly indulge in some high crimes and misdemeanors. :lol:  I got Susan cussing and Del on criminal road.  I must be stopped. :lol:

$250 000 ?!?!?! Incredible! And to think the community did that just so I could become a deadhead :lol:

They said a few weeks until the next one, so hopefully its next week then?

I hope Susan was able to get some rest. How is your brother?

I love the image of Del dumpster diving! :lol::lol:

1 hour ago, soon said:

$250 000 ?!?!?! Incredible! And to think the community did that just so I could become a deadhead :lol:

They said a few weeks until the next one, so hopefully its next week then?

I hope Susan was able to get some rest. How is your brother?

I love the image of Del dumpster diving! :lol::lol:

God love Del, he has a good heart.  He's buying that Urban kids gardening group some berry bushes.  I suggested several ways he could help them get plants through our group.  The next thing I know he includes them in the email and is telling them to contact me!  I used "you" in almost every sentence when I suggested that, not me, him. :lol:

And Kevin, wtf?  With the creek project going ahead, some of our gardens were sold off to naming rights.  I'm asking that the leads team be given input on what those signs will look like.  Kevin jumps in and decides we don't need to do that.  Not your decision Kevin and by the way they are all over my ass about the project you are suppose to be doing.  I worded that better in my reply. :lol:

I needed a break from the Dead stuff but I really miss watching a concert with you.  The grandkids are coming Monday so I had a good excuse to clean up that puzzle without finishing it.

My brother is in rehab.  All body parts move but his left arm is very weak.  He's 99 percent clogged in one artery.  They want to do a stint but that's more likely to fail then succeed.  He's in good spirits and seems to have most his brain functions.

My plants are showing sings autumn is coming.  Probably triggered by the sun setting earlier.  I need to burn down my twig pile.  Time for campfires.

How do you feel about your character having a musical instrument?  Playing the spoons?  You got any rhythm?

24 minutes ago, cineater said:

God love Del, he has a good heart.  He's buying that Urban kids gardening group some berry bushes.  I suggested several ways he could help them get plants through our group.  The next thing I know he includes them in the email and is telling them to contact me!  I used "you" in almost every sentence when I suggested that, not me, him. :lol:

And Kevin, wtf?  With the creek project going ahead, some of our gardens were sold off to naming rights.  I'm asking that the leads team be given input on what those signs will look like.  Kevin jumps in and decides we don't need to do that.  Not your decision Kevin and by the way they are all over my ass about the project you are suppose to be doing.  I worded that better in my reply. :lol:

That’s so cool of Del to donate those berry bushes!

But man, dudes seem to think it’s them running the place and you’re their administrative assistants! :lol:

27 minutes ago, cineater said:

I needed a break from the Dead stuff but I really miss watching a concert with you.  The grandkids are coming Monday so I had a good excuse to clean up that puzzle without finishing it.

My brother is in rehab.  All body parts move but his left arm is very weak.  He's 99 percent clogged in one artery.  They want to do a stint but that's more likely to fail then succeed.  He's in good spirits and seems to have most his brain functions.

I’m glad to hear that there is some good news about your brothers recovery!! That’s so scary about the clogged artery. If they don’t operate is there any other treatments?

I miss it too :) 

Haha, so you got an excuse to x the puzzle? :lol:

31 minutes ago, cineater said:

My plants are showing sings autumn is coming.  Probably triggered by the sun setting earlier.  I need to burn down my twig pile.  Time for campfires.

How do you feel about your character having a musical instrument?  Playing the spoons?  You got any rhythm?

I’ve tried to learn to play the spoons! And I program beats and play guitar. I must have some rhythm but I’m no Mickey Hart :lol:

I’d love that!

yeah I’m thinking early autumn here too. my beans better harvest before frost!!

Brian will be jealous that you didn’t let him burn your twig pile haha

Lazy day here so far. Beaker is chilling. Has Simone returned?!