New Steven Adler Interview!

12 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

They? They were a bunch of hire hands that that were mostly likely getting paid more than they were previously and undoubtedly gaining exposure for themselves being under the name of one of the greatest hard rock bands of all time. Maybe Axl but the argument could easily be made that bold would have been to go at it with out hiding behind the Gn'R name. Doing what he did guaranteed him more publicity and albums sales. You say they were respectable sales but stores just overstocked in the anticipation of the first "Guns N' Roses album in however many years. Decent initial sales but a few weeks later all those CD's were in the 99 cent rack.. I doubt there were any stores that had to restock lol.. Maybe it was $1.99 but either way. 

Yes, THEY wrote an Album, it was not all on Axls shoulders and he picked people he admired and respected. Of course there was payments, a whole new band was put together. You expect all these people to work pro Bono, or for free? That point is just ridiculous as well considering that everyone got writing credits on what they contributed. That's called a group effort, not a solo effort.

Doing things this way was against the grain so of course it WAS a bold move. Here's a safe move EX. Call up Slash and do a blues rock record. 

Does anyone here realize that what Axl did with best buy was very calculating and smart? All of those CDs that were pressed and packaged all have a manufacturing royalty attached to each CD. If they sold or not the physical CD always has a percentage return to the label/band regardless if it even leaves to be shipped.

I wouldn't consider that hiding behind a name that's called trying to progress with the name and move beyond what was in the past.

And duh CDs don't sell like they did in 1995, and will continue to decline. In fact best buy is dropping CDs in the near future, Barnes and Noble and target will follow suit soon. So when they release another CD and it doesn't "sell" well at the stores remember that people don't buy music to much anymore.

Edited by Order of Nine

Just now, Modano09 said:

To keep it on topic, how have Steven Adler's record sales been? Smashing records I bet. 

Apples and Oranges dude and a very poor rebuttal.. I bet they would have been better if he was able to release one under the Gn'R name though.

18 minutes ago, Derick said:

So, not an old lineup! Finally we agree on something. :headbang:

C’mom he played with Duff and Izzy..Your statement it’s from your interpretation.

I dont know what you're talking about. I never said this current incarnation of GN'R is the old lineup :question:

DUDE, in 2009, Axl replied to the same question the guy from TMZ asked to him in 2012 and in his response to the Del James interview, he dissected the reasons why he wouldn't reunite with each one of them. I'll paste it here to refresh your memory:

Would you consider a reunion with the 'Appetite' or 'Illusions' lineups?

No

Why not?

A lot more reasons than I'll get into here now. Different reasons for each version and each individual. The Izzy bit was fun -- and also fun because we didn't have to rely on him in any way, which is how he prefers things and works better for everyone. That said, you never knew if Izzy would be there or not or if he'd remember the song or decide to leave early. It didn't cause any problems, because we were doing our show regardless and didn't have to depend on anything, but it did open everyone's eyes a bit and blow minds.

He called, asked to come out and negotiated a deal with management that it's probably best that none of us knew about or the fun would've seemed a bit more like being used or taken advantage of spoiling the moment. As it was, we had a great time.

It'd be highly doubtful for us to have more than one of the alumni up with us at any given time. I suppose Duff could play guitar on something somewhere, but there's zero possibility of me having anything to do with Slash other than by ambush, and that wouldn't be pretty. He wrote that whole bit about not having his guitar in Vegas, I'd assume, to save face. I was told by both the Hard Rock and different Guns industry people who had come out to be supportive of the new band and were a bit surprised to see him there, especially guitar in hand, but just assumed it was a surprise for the show and we were in on the arrangement.

Steven [Adler] brings assorted ambulance-chasing attorneys and the nightmare of his mother. One gig, or even a couple songs, could mean years of behind-the-scenes legal aftermath.

I really don't know what you're arguing here. AXL DID NOT WANT TO REUNITE WITH THEM FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME.

As the time went by, he became more flexible and open up his horizons, but by 2009 he stated such things and by 2012, he was still in denial of Duff and Slash.

• Like 1

Not to be that asshole, but a few pages back people were debating as to whether or not the re-recorded AFD was "just for rehearsal purposes" like Axl claimed in the 2008 chats, and I just wanted to remind everyone that, for the record, Marc Canter himself claimed on this very website, multiple times, that Axl personally told him, again several times, that he had full intentions to release that re-recorded version of AFD. The fact that he used part of the re-recorded SCOM in Big Daddy and tried to get the re-recorded WTTJ into Black Hawk Down only adds further evidence to what his original intentions were for those recordings.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

2 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

And duh CDs don't sell like they did in 1995, and will continue to decline. In fact best buy is dropping CDs in the near future, Barnes and Noble and target will follow suit soon. So when they release another CD and it doesn't "sell" well at the stores remember that people don't buy music to much anymore.

No shit  but this was 10 years ago... CD sales were already in the decline then but the Gn'R fan age demographic were still more likely to buy CD's 10 years ago then fans of younger bands were.  Also, decline of CD sales or not, it is all relative and no new releases from blockbuster bands like Guns that I can think of end up on the 99 cent rack that shortly after it's release.  If it has happened it is very very rare and most likely and it wasn't very well received.

9 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Apples and Oranges dude and a very poor rebuttal.. I bet they would have been better if he was able to release one under the Gn'R name though.

How's that? People like to pick out Axl's failures or mock him for this and that when Adler's done what? Celebrity Rehab and his mom wrote a book. 

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

The fact that he used part of the re-recorded SCOM in Big Daddy and tried to get the re-recorded WTTJ into Black Hawk Down only adds further evidence to what his original intentions were for those recordings.

Woah, I didn't recall the part about Black Hawk Down.. Blasphemy....

I do remember listening to the Frankenstein Sweet Child during the Big Daddy Credits though.  Big events for die hards back then like waiting for the End Of Days commercials to air on TV.. Different times back then on the verge of the internet explosion. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

No shit  but this was 10 years ago... CD sales were already in the decline then but the Gn'R fan age demographic were still more likely to buy CD's 10 years ago then fans of younger bands were.  Also, decline of CD sales or not, it is all relative and no new releases from blockbuster bands like Guns that I can think of end up on the 99 cent rack that shortly after it's release.  If it has happened it is very very rare and most likely and it wasn't very well received.

Well yeah of course, no promotion, no video release, pretty silent. Things went sour between Axl and the label. And that's what most likely put a hold on any future release with that band. And yes CDs have sold less and less every year and alot of people rip things for free online. Every year the industry takes a hit even this vinyl resurgence isn't a drop in the bucket compared to what they have been losing in the grand scheme of things. 

All things considering it did quite well under the Guns name and YES it would probably have sold even better under a solo name, the stigma and expectations would have been detached from it. It's called F you industry I want to do what I want to do, that took huge balls. 

Edited by Order of Nine

Just now, Modano09 said:

How's that? People like to pick out Axl's failures or mock him for this and that when Adler's done what? Celebrity Rehab and his mom wrote a book. 

Steven Adler was a guy with his defenses low, all sick from the drugs, trying to find a path and without a huge name like Guns N' Roses behind. Anything Adler did back then was heroic, given the conditions he was under.

Axl Rose, on the other hand, was sitting on his ass in his mansion. Being served food in a gold plate by his horde of Brazilian employees, counting the 13 million bucks given by the record company to spend on the promise of a grandiouse album.

So who is the loser here? The guy who had it all and did nothing with it or the poor guy who had nothing and still managed to pull out a couple of albums of original work?

5 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Steven Adler was a guy with his defenses low, all sick from the drugs, trying to find a path and without a huge name like Guns N' Roses behind. Anything Adler did back then was heroic, given the conditions he was under.

Axl Rose, on the other hand, was sitting on his ass in his mansion. Being served food in a gold plate by his horde of Brazilian employees, counting the 13 million bucks given by the record company to spend on the promise of a grandiouse album.

So who is the loser here? The guy who had it all and did nothing with it or the poor guy who had nothing and still managed to pull out a couple of albums of original work?

I'm not calling anyone a loser but yeah I'll take Chinese over any Adler release any day of the week. It's a great album and still ahead of it's time. 

Some people would KILL to have these "loser" debacles you speak of. Lmao

Edited by Order of Nine

1 minute ago, killuridols said:

That's a level of Adler victimizing I don't think even Adler can reach. Well done.

But the loser is still Adler. 

Just now, Order of Nine said:

Well yeah of course, no promotion, no video release, pretty silent. Things went sour between Axl and the label. And that's what most likely put a hold on any future release with that band. And yes CDs have sold less and less every year and alot of people rip things from free online. Every year the industry takes a hit even this vinyl resurgence isn't a drop in the bucket compared to what they have been losing in the grand scheme of things. 

I love the no promotion argument.  EVERY rock fan knew it was coming.. It was streamed all over the internet and aired in completion on radio stations across the country. I listed to it on one of the biggest rock stations in my Country. Tons of people I know listened to it in anticipation and out of curiosity.. They next morning it was torn apart during the morning shows.

Anyway, I am tapping out.. I know you guys like to argue constantly all day long about this.. Modano get's extra aroused when it has anything to do with Steven so I will leave you guys to your fun. Peace...

• Like 2

Just now, Order of Nine said:

I'm not calling anyone a loser but yeah I'll take Chinese over any Adler release any day of the week. It's a great album and still ahead of it's time. 

Fair enough but your personal taste has nothing to do with how the both situations compare.

Rose, with 13 million bucks under his armpit, could have released 13 fucking albums, if we relax and give him 1 million buck per year, which still is a shitload of money for just one album.

He pulled out only one album and it was a flop :lol:

4 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

That's a level of Adler victimizing I don't think even Adler can reach. Well done.

But the loser is still Adler. 

It's not victimizing. It is the truth. He was sick and his life was destroyed.

The loser is GN'R fans. We've always been. This band was only productive 30 years ago.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I love the no promotion argument.  EVERY rock fan knew it was coming.. It was streamed all over the internet and aired in completion on radio stations across the country. I listed to it on one of the biggest rock stations in my Country. Tons of people I know listened to it in anticipation and out of curiosity.. They next morning it was torn apart during the morning shows.

Anyway, I am tapping out.. I know you guys like to argue constantly all day long about this.. Modano get's extra aroused when it has anything to do with Steven so I will leave you guys to your fun. Peace...

Yeah it wss on Myspace and I think it broke some records, do you think some maybe a couple people ripped it then?? Lmao. That does not constitute a big promotion, no video nothing.

No shit it was torn apart, Slash wasn't playing on it. But look who's at the concerts now all those fans that tore it apart and Slash, and now they play it and everything is fine. Do you not get the point that if Slash had s few tracks and his picture in it that would have changed things dramatically? It's called a witch Hunt. Oh well, that can't take away from the music 

Edited by Order of Nine

Fair enough but your personal taste has nothing to do with how the both situations compare.

Rose, with 13 million bucks under his armpit, could have released 13 fucking albums, if we relax and give him 1 million buck per year, which still is a shitload of money for just one album.

The loser is GN'R fans. We've always been. This band was only productive 30 years ago.

Just because you didn't like it it's a flop. And you have a completely different set of circumstances within the record and music industry in ,2008 as opposed to 1995. So as usual people like to cherry pick information that suits thier perspective. 

4 minutes ago, killuridols said:

He destroyed his own life and was more interested in blaming people than taking accountability for it and doing something about it.

3 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Just because you didn't like it it's a flop. And you have a completely different set of circumstances within the record and music industry in ,2008 as opposed to 1995. So as usual people like to cherry pick information that suits thier perspective. 

I do like it, I even bought it TWICE :lol: but it is a flop, compared to previously GN'R released albums, it is.

Record industry in 2008 has nothing to do with CD not doing great, lol. In 2018, the music circumstances are even worse than in 2008 and you have people like Bruno Mars and Beyonce selling tons of albums, so find another excuse.

After all, CD should have been released in the late 90s because it is an album that was written back then, it has all elements of a Y2K thing.

25 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I dont know what you're talking about. I never said this current incarnation of GN'R is the old lineup :question:

DUDE, in 2009, Axl replied to the same question the guy from TMZ asked to him in 2012 and in his response to the Del James interview, he dissected the reasons why he wouldn't reunite with each one of them. I'll paste it here to refresh your memory:

I really don't know what you're arguing here. AXL DID NOT WANT TO REUNITE WITH THEM FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME.

As the time went by, he became more flexible and open up his horizons, but by 2009 he stated such things and by 2012, he was still in denial of Duff and Slash.

I’m arguing about the Axl’s “Not in this lifetime “ statement. I’m arguing that still valid because we haven’t a GNR old lineup reunion. And you?

By 2012 was he still denial of Duff? Are you sure? How did you know that? Even Slash, since 2010 I can’t remember any quote from Axl saying that he’ll not tour with him again.. And there’s a Axl’s quote where he said that, about the former members, he only would touring again with Slash or Duff. 

10 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Yeah it wss on Myspace and I think it broke some records, do you think some maybe a couple people ripped it then?? Lmao. That does not constitute a big promotion, no video nothing.

Because a video would have sold so many more albums.. MTV was in even worse shape than CD sales at the time.. 

Anyway.. I lied but I am really done for tonight this time.. ;) \m/

39 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

To keep it on topic, how have Steven Adler's record sales been? Smashing records I bet. 

I doubt there was any record store that had to restock :P

I don't know why we have to pit people against each other. I'm sure Adlers record had its moments, CD definitely had its moments and I've definitely listened to it countless times. 

There's just people here that no matter what angle a CD appreciating GNR fan comes at it from, they'll shit on you and the record and try and draw you into a boring dog chasing its tail argument.

I love CD, some days I prefer CD to any other GNR release, other days I prefer the rawer early stuff or the more polished UYI... You don't have to be one or the other. Even Axl said that there was going to be something for everyone on that record and that you may not like it all. If Slash and Duff can get past Axl continuing with the GNR name and releasing the CD album... I think it's definitely time for the fanbase who don't like it to say "ok, it happened I didn't like it, but it is what it is... I'll just listen to their old stuff and hope the next record is more my cup of tea". 

3 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I do like it, I even bought it TWICE :lol: but it is a flop, compared to previously GN'R released albums, it is.

Record industry in 2008 has nothing to do with CD not doing great, lol. In 2018, the music circumstances are even worse than in 2008 and you have people like Bruno Mars and Beyonce selling tons of albums, so find another excuse.

After all, CD should have been released in the late 90s because it is an album that was written back then, it has all elements of a Y2K thing.

The late 80s and early 90s are gone..  this is rock were talking about. And YES album.sales are down across the board. It's been a steady decline. Best buy will discontinue CD sales soon, others WILL follow suit. But oh yeah the industry is booming.. I have first hand experience in this and I can tell you your dead wrong.

2 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Because a video would have sold so many more albums.. MTV was in even worse shape than CD sales at the time.. 

Anyway.. I lied but I am really done for tonight this time.. ;) \m/

Umm yeah.. any promotion helps and videos actually help alot. Especially in this day and age.

1 minute ago, Order of Nine said:

The late 80s and early 90s are gone..  this is rock were talking about. And YES album.sales are down across the board. It's been a steady decline. Best buy will discontinue CD sales soon, others WILL follow suit. But oh yeah the industry is booming.. I have first hand experience in this and I can tell you your dead wrong.

LOL, I did not contradict you :lol::facepalm:

I said in 2018 we are doing really bad, but some artists still manage to sell tons of albums. They aren't rock artists, yeah, and rock has been dead for quite some time, but I don't see how any of this applies to Chinese Democracy. That album was released 10 YEARS AGO. TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO! :rofl-lol:

Could care less about CD's, don't know what you're talking about. I havent bought a CD in 15 years, I guess. But I keep buying music, digital format only.

LOL, I did not contradict you :lol::facepalm:

I said in 2018 we are doing really bad, but some artists still manage to sell tons of albums. They aren't rock artists, yeah, and rock has been dead for quite some time, but I don't see how any of this applies to Chinese Democracy. That album was released 10 YEARS AGO. TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO! :rofl-lol:

Could care less about CD's, don't know what you're talking about. I havent bought a CD in 15 years, I guess. But I keep buying music, digital format only.

Exactly my point... 

11 minutes ago, Derick said:

I’m arguing about the Axl’s “Not in this lifetime “ statement. I’m arguing that still valid because we haven’t a GNR old lineup reunion. And you?

By 2012 was he still denial of Duff? Are you sure? How did you know that? Even Slash, since 2010 I can’t remember any quote from Axl saying that he’ll not tour with him again.. And there’s a Axl’s quote where he said that, about the former members, he only would touring again with Slash or Duff. 

You are right @derick think this Axl interview was around 2012 and i think was in USA TODAY