New Steven Adler Interview!

27 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Point me in the direction of another album like Chinese. Show me how this had all been don't before.

So your stance is that each guns album are carbon copies of each other and sound much alike. That's what your saying in essence. 

Btw the "bleeps" I think your talking about are tapping from bucket. This wasn't programed MIDI like I think your trying to imply. But go ahead use those ears of yours. 

I'll throw the question back at you and ask you what is the purpose of this particular bleep?

39 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Oh yeah, CD is just loaded with 80s cock rock. You've got some great ears as well. Which 80s cock rock release is this comparable too please let me in on this big secret?

Its not loaded with it but it drags some things from the past. That line is an example of testosterone expression. A guy playing tough in his macho posture, threatening another macho he will have his ass kicked, like machos get into fights in the streets or night clubs.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'll throw the question back at you and ask you what is the purpose of this particular bleep?

It's been a minute since I listened, I think your referring to Buckets a tonal tapping parts. It's used as an effect but Imho it's to low in the mix for most to make out. This isn't MIDI or a keyboard or a "blip" that's just talk from.someone who dosent know any different because it's out of your realm, and you've never heard atonal playing to have something to compare it to. 

If your familiar with bucket he uses alot of atonal passages. To most it sounds like "a computer" but it's basically using a succession of notes that keep the key center or root displaced so your ear never has a solid point of reference. Bucket is the only guitarist I know of that has studied this era of music and has taken it under his wing and incorporated it into modern rock, funk, music. 

Time stamp it. If it's not that it's Bumbles finger thimble going off the fretboard. I'm not sure where your hearing it.

Edited by Order of Nine
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Its not loaded with it but it drags some things from the past. That line is an example of testosterone expression. A guy playing tough in his macho posture, threatening another macho he will have his ass kicked, like machos get into fights in the streets or night clubs.

Oh no, you mean to tell me a guy was acting like a guy like just about all guys do at least once or twice in thier lifetimes? 

You seriously have an axe to grind, I'm sure you hav a complaint or critic for every verse and chorus of CD. 

Please point me in the direction of whom I can listen to that's come out that has a similar release since this is such an underwhelming effort that has no originality or uniqueness to it.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2018 at 7:14 PM, killuridols said:

That's his most important work so it is normal that he uses it to promote himself.

Or when you hand a Resumé to apply for a job, do you not highlight your most important work at the beginning of it??

If you worked for Coca Cola, you gotta ride on that for eternity. It is your biggest achievement.

True. Good point. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Oh no, you mean to tell me a guy was acting like a guy like just about all guys do at least once or twice in thier lifetimes? 

Yes. That's why it is cock rock.

Dont ask me to explain what I say if you dont like my answers or you end up repeating the same shit I said before.

8 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

You seriously have an axe to grind, I'm sure you hav a complaint or critic for every verse and chorus of CD. 

No.

8 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Please point me in the direction of whom I can listen to that's come out that has a similar release since this is such an underwhelming effort that has no originality or uniqueness to it.

Look up for Rose's influences and get their albums.

That's where originality resides.

18 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Yes. That's why it is cock rock.

Dont ask me to explain what I say if you dont like my answers or you end up repeating the same shit I said before.

No.

Look up for Rose's influences and get their albums.

That's where originality resides.

Band "for roses"??

The lyrics may be macho, but that music in sorry is a far cry from cock rock. The riffs are more like Sabbath, and have a tinge of Doom in them. 80s cock rock it is definitely not. 

4 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Band "for roses"??

The lyrics may be macho, but that music in sorry is a far cry from cock rock. The riffs are more like Sabbath, and have a tinge of Doom in them. 80s cock rock it is definitely not. 

I never mentioned the music. I said "that line" (of text).

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I never mentioned the music. I said "that line" (of text).

Ok, well then I'd wager that's pretty unique. A lyric that when it's read comes across like that at face value but the music and mood is subdued and pretty dark especially for a Guns track.

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

What is the purpose of any bleep? What the is the purpose of music? What is the purpose of all the bickering about nothing coming from both sides in this thread? ;)

Just now, WhazUp said:

What is the purpose of any bleep? What the is the purpose of music? What is the purpose of all the bickering about nothing coming from both sides in this thread? ;)

Lmao. Who knew a "blip" and a few "bleeps" would be cause such havoc, for about ten years or so here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

When I don't like someone's music, it's indifferent to me whether they release more of it every year or every month.

That makes it hard for me to understand the people who think CD is a totally shitty album, but complain because Axl hasn't released more of it.

I go back and forth on Chi Dem. Sometimes I think it's great as is with the potential to have been worthy of the previous 3 albums had it been done with the original band. Other times I think there are simply moments of greatness and sketches that needed to be developed further - but on the whole, an ambitious albeit intriguing failure that desperately needed the guidance of Izzy and Sluff. 

What makes me interested in hearing the rest of the output is seeing the vision of Axl as a cohesive whole. It's like a trilogy of films where you only see one movie - you don't get the whole impact of the experience - you don't get a sense of the context of the art and where this initial piece fits into the larger canvas. I see Chinese Democracy as this larger painting and Chi Dem is just 1/3 of it. So maybe, "all things considered", we're judging this album unfairly (a stretch perhaps, but you get my point).

In a perfect world, I'd like to get the original late 90's version of Chi Dem that's produced by Sean Beaven with Buckethead's last minute additions included. To me, that's the definitive Chi Dem - not the watered down bloated turkey that was tossed out unceremoniously like TSI? in 2008. Part 2 is the electronica influenced/"experimental" album. And the final album in the trilogy I suppose would be more of an EP since as per Axl's previous quotes, we can guesstimate that he probably had 2.5 albums worth of songs done.

Point being, if we only got Illusion 1 before the band breaks up - we wouldn't really have perspective on the scope of what the band was really able to pull off. Illusion 2 paints the full portrait of the evolution of Guns. You can really get a sense of that band evolving and in some ways even breaking up with that album. 

Chi Dem Trilogy and the '96 album are the missing pieces of this band. It's what GnR fans need to give us closure to this entire saga - even if you're not a fan of CD, that trilogy completes Axl's prime era. Maybe I'm alone here, but I have next to zero interest in anything new that Axl and co want to do now. Nothing they do in the future is going to be anywhere near as interesting or worthy of the unreleased stuff in the vault imho.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

19 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Chi Dem Trilogy and the '96 album are the missing pieces of this band. It's what GnR fans need to give us closure to this entire saga - even if you're not a fan of CD, that trilogy completes Axl's prime era. Maybe I'm alone here, but I have next to zero interest in anything new that Axl and co want to do now. Nothing they do in the future is going to be anywhere near as interesting or worthy of the unreleased stuff in the vault imho.

:wow:

I cant believe such a cerebral guy like you has so much faith in something that is almost like the Nessie of GN'R!! :lol:

Now, back to being serious, I dont know if you are the only one who wants the alleged trilogy but I don't... or, better said, I really dont care for it anymore. 

I used to think there was a CD2, CD3 and even CD4, but the more time passes the less I believe in its actual existence and the more time passes, after seeing what happened to CD1, I have high doubts there is a bunch of people actually waiting for it, like we waited for CD1.

Sometimes I think of that 1996 lost album but its the same as with the CD trilogy..... so far it is just a myth.

With that said, I do expect a GN'R album with Slash and Duff on it, at the least. I am aware they cannot replicate the success of their prime but I do believe it is possible for them to make a mature album with music and lyrics that represent who they are now: guys in their mid 50s.

Not expecting innovation and groundbreaking music because that only happens when you are very young.

4 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I cant believe such a cerebral guy like you has so much faith in something that is almost like the Nessie of GN'R!! :lol:

I know. :facepalm: 

As Mulder says in The X-Files, "I want to believe." :lol:

Now, back to being serious, I dont know if you are the only one who wants the alleged trilogy but I don't... or, better said, I really dont care for it anymore. 

I used to think there was a CD2, CD3 and even CD4, but the more time passes the less I believe in its actual existence and the more time passes, after seeing what happened to CD1, I have high doubts there is a bunch of people actually waiting for it, like we waited for CD1.

Sometimes I think of that 1996 lost album but its the same as with the CD trilogy..... so far it is just a myth.

Yeah - part of the mythology of this whole era is that as fans, we're projecting our own hopes/desires on these albums. It all adds to the larger than life aura of Axl and GnR. I'd argue his legacy would be even more mythic had he just retired after RIO 3 in 2001 - the legacy would have been frozen in time. Chi Dem seemed like a confirmation that the guy was "human" so to speak. That album was the "a-ha" moment for a lot of people as far as how important Axl was to GnR.

And I think that's the case with all this unreleased stuff seeing the light of day. It may either confirm Axl as the genius most of us saw him as (or still see him as) - or it would confirm that perhaps Axl wasn't as talented as we all believed he was. Or maybe he BS'd the fanbase and there really isn't much more material than what was on CD. Anything is possible when it comes to Axl.

With that said, I do expect a GN'R album with Slash and Duff on it, at the least. I am aware they cannot replicate the success of their prime but I do believe it is possible for them to make a mature album with music and lyrics that represent who they are now: guys in their mid 50s.

Not expecting innovation and groundbreaking music because that only happens when you are very young.

Agreed. I think they can make a good album. I just think it will be a massive drop off from any of the previous albums (including Chi Dem). Their legacy will be brought down to earth with any future release - and maybe that's the reason for the delay. They know they can't live up to the past.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I don't think they or anyone can replicate the sales/success and impact like Appetite did. But judging by this tour and the demand for some new music and the inevitable future of thier tour prospects if they don't switch things up and add some new material out then it will fizzle. I'd say they have everything in thier favor to get some new tunes out. It's definitely not going to be such a hurdle for Axl in guns after the success of this to get some music released as opposed to all the hurdles and challenges of getting Chinese done and out.

3 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I know. :facepalm: 

As Mulder says in The X-Files, "I want to believe." :lol:

Yeah - part of the mythology of this whole era is that as fans, we're projecting our own hopes/desires on these albums. It all adds to the larger than life aura of Axl and GnR. I'd argue his legacy would be even more mythic had he just retired after RIO 3 in 2001 - the legacy would have been frozen in time. Chi Dem seemed like a confirmation that the guy was "human" so to speak. That album was the "a-ha" moment for a lot of people as far as how important Axl was to GnR.

And I think that's the case with all this unreleased stuff seeing the light of day. It may either confirm Axl as the genius most of us saw him as (or still see him as) - or it would confirm that perhaps Axl wasn't as talented as we all believed he was. Or maybe he BS'd the fanbase and there really isn't much more material than what was on CD. Anything is possible when it comes to Axl.

Agreed. I think they can make a good album. I just think it will be a massive drop off from any of the previous albums (including Chi Dem). Their legacy will be brought down to earth with any future release - and maybe that's the reason for the delay. They know they can't live up to the past.

It's a tough call with that cause this tour has been so successful I'd argue they are in at least the top three most popular comercial rocks bands right now if not number one. But then again a new CD won't sell anything like they used to and I'm not sure how much better it would do then Chinese, it would need a huge single. The commercial rock band era has been so dead too that could play into thier favor, people would get a real deal band again.

• Like 1

The next album (if there is one) will be more disappointing than Chinese Democracy to many because there is insane pressure from critics/fans/history on Axl to go back to basics and do Appetite 2. Slash also has a huge amount of power in GnR affairs now so expect him to push that agenda down further. Couple that with the AC/DC stint for Axl - it seems likely we're getting a trip back to sunset strip era cock rock. And nothing to me could be more boring. Whether fans, critics or revised history cares to admit this - UYI played a huge role in vaulting GNR to mythic status and maintaining their longevity.

Instead of picking up where they left off with UYI 2 and evolving that vision - there's more momentum behind them remaining simply a meat and potatoes hard rock band. I've always felt like a large portion of fans and critics want them to be that AFD band and that they almost resent Axl's ambitions of the band showing their musical versatility and artistic vision. Like Axl the redneck rock outlaw of AFD is more valid and legitimate than Elton/Queen Axl who puts out songs like Estranged and Locomotive. Instead of accepting the evolution, there's this weird backlash towards that in some circles.

Part of what made the original GnR great was the creative tension between the band members. That's why their greatest compositions are on UYI (imho). In conclusion, UYI 2 > every other GnR album. :D

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Chi Dem seemed like a confirmation that the guy was "human" so to speak. That album was the "a-ha" moment for a lot of people as far as how important Axl was to GnR.

Hmmm... first we'd have to know such material exists for real...

In my case, I had great expectations about CD in the late 90s, early 00s. All the rumours and stories added up to the myth and the fantasy of how the songs would be.... Its worth to mention that I was very young back then and had all the time in the world to be chasing CD stories and leaks..... but by 2008, I was in a different stage of my life. A young adult with responsibilities, bills to pay and very little time to dedicate to Axl and his never-ending in the making album. I guess I stopped waiting by 2006.... then when it was finally released I was like "meh", ok, whatever, I had listened to the leaks years before and that had been enough for me. I lost big interest and I took a long time to actually buy the album.

In a nutshell, like I said before, the more time passes my expectations about Axl releasing a masterpiece have lowered more and more. Not just because I saw what CD turned out to be. Also because I am growing older and Im starting to not give a damn about anything anymore :lol:

Axl's prime is long gone. If he releases what's allegedly in the vault, I know its going to be old shit that does not represent who he is now. Thats why I guess I dont want anything from the vault. The guy is alive and he should release things he's produced not longer than 3 years ago. Now if he dies or he was dead, I'd be up for getting anything from the past. 

34 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

I'd say they have everything in thier favor to get some new tunes out. It's definitely not going to be such a hurdle for Axl in guns after the success of this to get some music released as opposed to all the hurdles and challenges of getting Chinese done and out.

If they are going to release something, it would have to be now or in the next 2 years, at the max, before the whole tour success smoke dissipate. 

We are living fast times. Internet times. By the end of the year another act, another tour will take their place and everyone will forget about GN'R again.

I have doubts Axl can speed up with making a GN'R album, though. 

27 minutes ago, RONIN said:

The next album (if there is one) will be more disappointing than Chinese Democracy to many because there is insane pressure from critics/fans/history on Axl to go back to basics and do Appetite 2.

I dont agree with this.

They are OLD GUYS on their way to be 60 years old. The fans arent spring chickens either. Most of them in their mid 30s, early 40s.

No GNR fan on this demographic and in their sane mind could expect a group of fat rockers will be playing songs about drugs and whores.

Basically, I dont think such pressure is there. Yes, there is a pressure for Axl to make a Guns album with Slash again (and if possible with the rest of the AFD5) but not for it to be 80s cock rock because we are also grown up nows and we dont get hooked up by that shit anymore. 

33 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I've always felt like a large portion of fans and critics want them to be that AFD band and that they almost resent Axl's ambitions of the band showing their musical versatility and artistic vision. Like Axl the redneck rock outlaw of AFD is more valid and legitimate than Elton/Queen Axl who puts out songs like Estranged and Locomotive. Instead of accepting the evolution, there's this weird backlash towards that in some circles.

Maybe you have that feeling because people were not happy with CD but disliking CD doesnt automatically translate into wanting AFD all over again.

Well, at least I dont want it. Im age aware or something.. i know it would be too embarrassing for them.. but maybe some people want it. I dont know. I haven't read opinions like that in this forum at least. 

Between red neck Axl and Elton/Queen Axl, I prefer the latter but he couldn't demonstrate he had more epics under his sleeve so I don't know what he really is....... on the other hand, he did great when singing the AC/DC cock rock material, so.... I am lost at that :shrugs:

2 hours ago, vloors said:

What happened with this topic changing from being about Adler to CD again.....

That's the power and magic of MyGnrForum :lol:...

Everything turns into a debate about CD. Or about Izzy/Adler vs. Fortus/Frank/Melissa.

This thread derailing has escalated after the reunion, which is surprising. I used to think the Ashba vs. Slash off topic-ing was bad.

Edited by jekylhyde
  • Like 1