New Steven Adler Interview!

1 hour ago, jekylhyde said:

That's the power and magic of MyGnrForum :lol:...

Everything turns into a debate about CD. Or about Izzy/Adler vs. Fortus/Frank/Melissa.

This thread derailing has escalated after the reunion, which is surprising. I used to think the Ashba vs. Slash off topic-ing was bad.

Yes, there was a time derailing wasn't allowed, but I guess we will have to wait until the tour starts up again. Hopefully then we'll click a thread and actually see the topic in the thread title is being discussed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think all that had to be said about Adler has already been said (at least until his next interview :lol:). I know this disorganizes the thread  but I read good points in these latest pages and also interesting interpretations on the subject related to the CD saga..

Way better than standing on that hamster wheel of insults against Adler and Axl! 

• Like 1

I can't relate to the idea that Appetite For Destruction is just Sunset Strip cock rock or some how a lesser album than UYI. Appetite For Destruction is  not only one of the greatest rock albums ever, the songwriting is far better and far more consistent than what they did later. Their best album by a million miles. 

3 hours ago, bigpoop said:

I can't relate to the idea that Appetite For Destruction is just Sunset Strip cock rock or some how a lesser album than UYI. Appetite For Destruction is  not only one of the greatest rock albums ever, the songwriting is far better and far more consistent than what they did later. Their best album by a million miles. 

indeed AFD is a monolith. coherent, classic, definitely one of the finest in its league, if not THE best. and definitely one of the best rock albums ever made.

the problem is, I still prefer UYI. even though it has crazy amount of songs I don't care about or even dislike. 

I'd still trade one Locomotive, Coma, Breakdown or similar monster for the whole AFD.

in UYI, they tried to redefine themselves, do something fresh and different from their contemporaries, and altough the success was partial, it was still huge. 

and yeah, it's much of an inconsistent mess, like multiple clashes of the worlds with a torso of the good old classic sleaze rock.

but still I prefer it :)

7 minutes ago, tremolo said:

That was the product of Axl’s vision. He kept on moving forward, exploring different styles and sounds. The UYI albums are exquisit because of that, it’s a departure from what made them huge, and it’s versatile, a beautiful mess.

AFD is a more solid album, no fat from the first note of Jungle to the last note of Rocket Queen. Nobody can deny that, but today it is a sound and style stuck in a specific era. And I’m glad Axl moved on from it.

Getting an AFD 2 would be so sad. To me it would represent the tombstone on Axl’s vision.

I don't think it was just Axl's vision. The fact that they all started writing songs separately made for all the different sounds. During the AFD era they wrote a lot more songs together so it all sorta blended into the same sound. With UYI you had Axl bringing in his epic piano ballads, Slash bringing in more metal stuff, and Izzy basically bringing in the same thing he always brought to the table, so they ended up with this mix of very diverse ideas.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'd argue Illusion has dated far more than Appetite. All those overdubs epitomises 1990s overkill. 

Quite frankly they've all dated.  The fresher songs of the bunch, to me, are odd ones like One In A Million, Used to Love Her, the slower You're Crazy, simply because, well, in the case of OIAM, as uncomfortable as it might make some people, there are a lot of people today who can relate to some of the sentiments in it, Used to Love Her has a mild country touch to it and its funny and funny stuff is always enduring cuz people are always gonna laugh.  Stuff like Jungle (as great as it is) and November Rain etc represent a sort of an archetype that is well worn culturally speaking so stuff like that will always date.  Overall Appetite dates less because it exudes energy and people will always relate to that.  It maybe dark thematically but its also kind of celebratory, whereas a great deal of Illusions is quite maudlin and fatalist, this is aside from the musical vagaries that you pointed out that are very much of a time, as in your comment regarding 90s overdub overkill.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tremolo said:

What i meant is that it was Axl the one who was constantly trying to push things further and beyond what gnr was expected to be. The synth in Paradise City, the piano and extra percusions in UYI, the backing vocals/sax players during the UYI tour, hell, even the industrial/gangsta rap hybrid My World closing UYI 2, etc.

Many of those moves were not well-received by the band and fans, but they set GNR apart from the rest and kept the band from becoming creatively stale and derivative.

Of course the end result is the product of everyone’s input, I would never deny that, but I think the vision was always Axl’s.

I once read that it was Slash's idea for all those backing musicians during the UYI tour, but I could be wrong about that.

I do think Axl was more eager to explore different sounds than Izzy or Slash, at least looking at their careers, they never really went out of their comfort zone too much musically speaking, but then again Axl has only released one album after UYI [insert joke here] so who is to say how far he would have gone exploring new sounds? But I do think you're right about that.

Oh, I wouldn't call My World industrial/gangsta rap, but rather an egocentric mistake.

Adler is the embittered, loud, obnoxious relative who is stuck holding onto grievances of the past that people don't invite to holiday get-togethers. He is not some innocent puppydog victim done in by Axl and Slash's schemes, nor is he the spirit of GNR. He's a pathetic shell, the guy you don't answer when the phone rings.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

I once read that it was Slash's idea for all those backing musicians during the UYI tour, but I could be wrong about that.

The backing singers were an Axl thing, but the horn players were Slash's idea (according to one of his interviews) and also that they had to be "sexy chicks" :lol:

• Like 1

And according to Steve's biography, it was Clink's idea to add the synth to Paradise City. According to Slash's biography, though, it was Axl's idea. Slash would also say Axl argued to keep it tere when it was discovered in mixing. So I guess Clink suggested it, and after having added it, Axl fought to keep it.

Edited by SoulMonster

33 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

Adler is the embittered, loud, obnoxious relative who is stuck holding onto grievances of the past that people don't invite to holiday get-togethers. He is not some innocent puppydog victim done in by Axl and Slash's schemes, nor is he the spirit of GNR. He's a pathetic shell, the guy you don't answer when the phone rings.

Apparently Slash actually doesn't answer the phone when Adler calls. He complained about that in an interview, of course.

I'm sure someone on this topic knows, but Lies LP is comprised of the 4 tracts from Live Like a Suicide and Patience, One in a million, UTLH, and the original slowed down version of You're Crazy. You're crazy was only sped up for AFD. The last 4 tracts are significantly different that the Live Like A Suicide. Do we know whether ONAM, YTLH and patience were written after the tracts on AFD? If so it shows a big change in a very short period. And I agree, ONAM and UTLH should be considered classics and have held up over time. 

17 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Apparently Slash actually doesn't answer the phone when Adler calls. He complained about that in an interview, of course.

Surely Slash hates Steven so much he allows his 15 year old kid to be a support act for the diabolical Adler new band :lol:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, killuridols said:

Surely Slash hates Steven so much he allows his 15 year old kid to be a support act for the diabolical Adler new band :lol:

Well you should ask Steven why he said Slash doesn't return his calls since he's the one who said it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Well you should ask Steven why he said Slash doesn't return his calls since he's the one who said it. 

Steven, Slash, Duff, Axl, TB.... they are all laughing their asses off at people like you, like us, believing that they hate each other, when it is all a big act of promotion for all parts involved. Pure marketing.

What they say to the press doesnt match what they do in real life.

Steven is out there taking selfies with Dizzy Reed, hanging out with Baz, playing with Slash kid... and even Fernando is asking for tickets for the Whiskey A-GoGo gig :rofl-lol:

17 hours ago, Kwick1 said:

I'm sure someone on this topic knows, but Lies LP is comprised of the 4 tracts from Live Like a Suicide and Patience, One in a million, UTLH, and the original slowed down version of You're Crazy. You're crazy was only sped up for AFD. The last 4 tracts are significantly different that the Live Like A Suicide. Do we know whether ONAM, YTLH and patience were written after the tracts on AFD? If so it shows a big change in a very short period. And I agree, ONAM and UTLH should be considered classics and have held up over time. 

The two original Live!? Like A Suicide tracks (Reckless Life and Move To The City) were played already by Hollywood Rose, predating Guns N' Roses. Together with Nice Boys and Mama Kin, you might argue that they were all old covers recorded and released by GN'R. The record itself was recorded in November/December (?) 1986.

During the rehearsals and recordings for Appetite they worked on some acoustic songs that would end up on Lies. You're Crazy was originally written on acoustic, but it was the electric version thatg ended up on Appetite. These acoustic songs were debuted in October 1987 (at the CGBGs in NY). Then, after the release of Appetite and while touring, they had a break in early 1988 and went into the studio to record the songs, originally intended to be used as B-sides. As 1988 matured, they decided to release an acoustic EP with them. Axl was still working on the vocals by September 1988, inbetween touring. Lies was released in November 1988.

So Used To Love Her, Patience, and One In A Million were (probably written after most songs on Appetite), and worked on in 1988.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, killuridols said:

What they say to the press doesnt match what they do in real life.

Steven is out there taking selfies with Dizzy Reed, hanging out with Baz, playing with Slash kid... and even Fernando is asking for tickets for the Whiskey A-GoGo gig :rofl-lol:

I'm starting to think they do all this shit on the press & CIA just to see how they hardcore fans kill each other over here, at MyGnR. Probably they should have a whatsapp group just to share the prints of our discussions while they laugh out very loud! :blink:

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

The two original Live!? Like A Suicide tracks (Reckless Life and Move To The City) were played already by Hollywood Rose, predating Guns N' Roses. Together with Nice Boys and Mama Kin, you might argue that they were all old covers recorded and released by GN'R. The record itself was recorded in November/December (?) 1986.

During the rehearsals and recordings for Appetite they worked on some acoustic songs that would end up on Lies. Anything Goes was originally written on acoustic, but it was the electric version thatg ended up on Appetite. These acoustic songs were debuted in October 1987 (at the CGBGs in NY). Then, after the release of Appetite and while touring, they had a break in early 1988 and went into the studio to record the songs, originally intended to be used as B-sides. As 1988 matured, they decided to release an acoustic EP with them. Axl was still working on the vocals by September 1988, inbetween touring. Lies was released in November 1988.

So Used To Love Her, Patience, and One In A Million were (probably written after most songs on Appetite), and worked on in 1988.

Probably a typo in what I highlighted?  You're Crazy rather? 

• Thanks 1