Kurt Cobain hated Italians ?

oldnews

I remember reading a quote from Kurt Cobain (I think it was in 'Come As You Are' by Michael Azerad or it may have been 'Heavier Than Heaven' by Charles Cross) where he rants about how much he hates Italians, calls them the most ignorant people on the planet etc, I can't find it anywhere online and I don't have either of those books anymore. Anyone know a site that may have it? just wanted to find it because it kinda goes against his image, especially since he was the one who used to call Axl Rose a racist at every opportunity

34 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I don't know when or why he said it or if he said it at all. But I'm sure he's right. :lol:

@Kasanova King

Smh.  I'm not one to bash a dead person so I'll just say it's unfortunate if he did hate Italians considering Italians probably bought millions of his albums and hundreds of thousands probably attended his shows.

:shrugs:

What an odd choice for a prejudice, although Italian-Americans were often stereotyped as ''anarchists'' in 1920s America, mostly due to their association with gangsterism, but it is an odd choice for some 1990s soap dodger in Seattle to have acquired!

• Like 1

this article from UCR supports the he hated everything theory.  He was in Italy and miserable:

On March 3, 1994, Cobain's wife, Hole leader Courtney Love, joined her husband in Rome while he was convalescing from a rather sudden throat ailment. His voice had given out a few days before, causing the cancellation of his band’s highly touted European tour. According to Love's December 1994 interview with Rolling Stone, Cobain had been severely depressed before her arrival in Italy, telling her over the phone that “he hated everything, everybody. Hated, hated, hated. He called me from Spain, crying. I was gone 40 days. I was doing my thing with my band for the first time since forever.”

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/kurt-cobain-overdose-coma-rome/

As a guess though, I bet someone like him would find the pick up culture and whistling/cat calls in parts of Italian culture to be offensive.

5 minutes ago, EvanG said:

People are seriously responding to this? Of course he didn't hate Italians.

I dont think responding to a thread on the internet constitutes belief in, or particularly caring about, the idea that he might’ve been prejudiced against Italians.

Shit, some of the best music on earth was made by racists...you think Robert Johnson liked white people? :lol:

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I dont think responding to a thread on the internet constitutes belief in, or particularly caring about, the idea that he might’ve been prejudiced against Italians.

Shit, some of the best music on earth was made by racists...you think Robert Johnson liked white people? :lol:

Clapton weren’t a massive fan of the wogs either if memory serves. :lol: 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Clapton weren’t a massive fan of the wogs either if memory serves. :lol: 

Its official man, from Wagner to Tupac, racists = good music :lol:  Its probably a pre-requisite or something, I bet if you stabbed a chinaman or something you’d wake up the next morning a wiz on the banjo!

Edited by Len Cnut

34 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I really couldn't care less if someone is a racist, it won't stop me from enjoying their music, as long as it's not about that, but Kurt Cobain didn't hate Italians.

12 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Its official man, from Wagner to Tupac, racists = good music :lol:  Its probably a pre-requisite or something, I bet if you stabbed a chinaman or something you’d wake up the next morning a wiz on the banjo!

As opposed to just being a wizard on the banjo string? :lol: 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I really couldn't care less if someone is a racist, it won't stop me from enjoying their music, as long as it's not about that, but Kurt Cobain didn't hate Italians.

the quote is in one of those books, be a bit too random for even me to make it up. wish someone could find it

this is no where near the quote i'm thinking of but it's a start https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=jxojuLe8_pkC&pg=PT47&dq=kurt+cobain+rome+gig+breakdown&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi1xPTXgdbZAhWUWsAKHf7KAjYQ6AEIMDAC#v=onepage&q=kurt cobain rome gig breakdown&f=false i'm determined to find it now, but don't really wanna buy 'Come as you are' again

7 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Also hated being alive but he was in Joy Division so he gets a pass for pretty much everything. :lol: 

The lead singer no less.  On a GnR forum that means he WAS Joy Division.

14 minutes ago, oldnews said:

this is no where near the quote i'm thinking of but it's a start https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=jxojuLe8_pkC&pg=PT47&dq=kurt+cobain+rome+gig+breakdown&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi1xPTXgdbZAhWUWsAKHf7KAjYQ6AEIMDAC#v=onepage&q=kurt cobain rome gig breakdown&f=false i'm determined to find it now, but don't really wanna buy 'Come as you are' again

Not really, every American thats ever come to England said the food was shit, hardly makes em a racist :lol:

He may have a point on Italians judging by their last election results. 

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

What an odd choice for a prejudice, although Italian-Americans were often stereotyped as ''anarchists'' in 1920s America, mostly due to their association with gangsterism, but it is an odd choice for some 1990s soap dodger in Seattle to have acquired!

This reminds me of that time Joe Colombo felt Italian-Americans were being discriminated against. Even though he was, you know the head of one of the most infamous crime organizations in US history. Until he was gunned down at a rally under the orders of Crazy Joe Gallo.