What was the original idea for Adler in the NITL tour?

Hey guys, 

I've been following the tour just like most of us here, however I don't recall what Adler said when he started talking last year. I believe Adler says he rehearsed with the band and then he injured his back so we wan't able to play. My question is, was Adler the original drummer for the tour and because he was injured they called Frank? 

7 minutes ago, gnr5 said:

Hey guys, 

I've been following the tour just like most of us here, however I don't recall what Adler said when he started talking last year. I believe Adler says he rehearsed with the band and then he injured his back so we wan't able to play. My question is, was Adler the original drummer for the tour and because he was injured they called Frank? 

He claims he was originally supposed to play on all the AFD and Lies songs at every show and Frank would play everything else. I have a feeling he was lying though, or not understanding his role correctly. I don't know. It sounds too fishy to me.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

He claims he was originally supposed to play on all the AFD and Lies songs at every show and Frank would play everything else. I have a feeling he was lying though, or not understanding his role correctly. I don't know. It sounds too fishy to me.

It does sound quite fishy :P I do remember reading somewhere that he flew so many thousands of kilometres, without first consulting with the band, then appearing at gigs & forcibly requesting to perform a song or two with the band, at which Axl was annoyed/irritable, but allowed out of guilt at the thought of denying him after so much effort of travel. Knowing this, I would be beyond certain that Frank was the meant-to-be drummer & Steven was just thrown in for a few random appearances. Other than that, my personal feeling about Steven is that he's just stuck in the past & hasn't in any way evolved with drumming; he was perfect for Appetite For Destruction, but past this point his style has shown to be outdated.

Edited by Screamin' Demon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Screamin' Demon said:

It does sound quite fishy :P I do remember reading somewhere that he flew so many thousands of kilometres, without first consulting with the band, then appearing at gigs & forcibly requesting to perform a song or two with the band, at which Axl was annoyed/irritable, but allowed out of guilt at the thought of denying him after so much effort of travel. Knowing this, I would be beyond certain that Frank was the meant-to-be drummer & Steven was just thrown in for a few random appearances. Other than that, my personal feeling about Steven is that he's just stuck in the past & hasn't in any way evolved in any way with drumming; he was perfect for Appetite For Destruction, but past this point his style has shown to be outdated.

Yes, is true Steven flew thousands of kilometres to Argentina you are right ,he play only song :shrugs:

Edited by Ratam

Someone please explain this once and for all.

I remember Adler's podcast last January where he DID NOT mention that GNR asked him for the full part. All Adler said was that GNR asked him to guest once at each leg (AU, Asia, Europe). 

As far as the injury related inclusiveness goes, I believe that relates only to the April shows. If that potentially turned out well, perhaps Adler would be included in the NITL tour eventually.

------------------------------

@RONIN Take the stage! 

• GNFNR 1

All in all unfortunately it is impossible to really know for sure unless the guys come out and reveal all the conversations that were had about everything and what was planned that didn't pan out.  We do know that there was something involving Adler with the Troubador right?  Because the rehearsals prior are when he hurt his back?  I could be wrong on that

3 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

The NITL American Summer stadium tour was already announced before the first April show. And a few weeks before that, Axl told a fan in a parking lot "we are doing a full tour," so that theory of NITL originally just being the few shows in April doesn't add up for me.

Of course in March the stadium tour was already planned. But the whole reunion thing had started long before that and was initially about Coachella. This comes out from what both Slash and Axl have said. I think Steven said that he had started practicing before March.

here's my question:  if Steven was supposed to play at the troubadour and then got hurt but then got better, why would Duff (and the guys) kick him out of the show and future show for getting hurt?  perhaps because he didn't rehearse enough?  he probably plays afd every day in his basement.  surely he could catch up to speed quick.

that story has never added up to me. drummer gets injured so he is kicked off the tour..... idk.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chester 524 said:

here's my question:  if Steven was supposed to play at the troubadour and then got hurt but then got better, why would Duff (and the guys) kick him out of the show and future show for getting hurt?  perhaps because he didn't rehearse enough?  he probably plays afd every day in his basement.  surely he could catch up to speed quick.

that story has never added up to me. drummer gets injured so he is kicked off the tour..... idk.

If I remember correctly Eddie Trunk asked him why Duff told him no and Steven said he has no idea either and that we'll probably never know. Probably an Axl thing IMO but.. I can imagine Axl going "I've had Frank for 10 years reliably and nothing ever happened, then this guy comes in 2nd time for rehearsal and something already happened and he can't play..that was all it took for them to go we're not risking it, this has to go smooth. But it could also be that they've always planned on Frank and Steven just for certain few songs.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

The NITL American Summer stadium tour was already announced before the first April show. And a few weeks before that, Axl told a fan in a parking lot "we are doing a full tour," so that theory of NITL originally just being the few shows in April doesn't add up for me.

To add to what Blackstar said, listen to Axls and Duffs interview where they talked about all this together. They say exactly that. And when Axl told that to a fan that was already late in the game, when Axl was auditioning for ACDC in Atlanta, so after Brian left, which was like late February?

From what I recall he said he was rehearsing with the band and was going to come out to play Appetite songs in the middle of the set and come back out for the encore. Then that all got derailed when he hurt his back. According to Steven, so take it with a grain of salt, Duff gave him a call after the injury and informed him that he was no longer part of the tour, Steven then called him the worst person in the world and hung up. They must have made up or Steven wouldn't have made the appearances he made.

8 hours ago, Screamin' Demon said:

It does sound quite fishy :P I do remember reading somewhere that he flew so many thousands of kilometres, without first consulting with the band, then appearing at gigs & forcibly requesting to perform a song or two with the band, at which Axl was annoyed/irritable, but allowed out of guilt at the thought of denying him after so much effort of travel. Knowing this, I would be beyond certain that Frank was the meant-to-be drummer & Steven was just thrown in for a few random appearances. Other than that, my personal feeling about Steven is that he's just stuck in the past & hasn't in any way evolved with drumming; he was perfect for Appetite For Destruction, but past this point his style has shown to be outdated.

That's a great point that I haven't seen given any attention.Steven has not progressed as a musician that I have seen. 

55 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

That's a great point that I haven't seen given any attention.Steven has not progressed as a musician that I have seen. 

I agree fully and what's even worse is that Frank has progressed a lot and still is worse than Steven. He ruins several songs with that godawful hip hop style drumming he doesn't seem to ever want to give up.

I'd like to see Steven try advanced stuff like Estranged and see if it's as bad but I can't see it being any worse than how Frank rapes it and many others like RQ.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I agree fully and what's even worse is that Frank has progressed a lot and still is worse than Steven. He ruins several songs with that godawful hip hop style drumming he doesn't seem to ever want to give up.

I'd like to see Steven try advanced stuff like Estranged and see if it's as bad but I can't see it being any worse than how Frank rapes it and many others like RQ.

Estranged isn't advanced from a technical drumming standpoint, the advanced part is learning the arrangement. If Steven did his homework and learned the arrangement of Estranged he would nail it. Same with November Rain, not a difficult drum part, just a long song with a number of transitions. We'll never get to hear it, but how Steven would approach those songs would be very interesting to hear.

I have a feeling the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  I'm guessing the band told Adler that "if" the rehearsals and the April shows went well, he could be involved in the full tour.  To what extent, who knows.  The fact that the rehearsals did not go well (because he got hurt) and as a result, he wasn't involved in the April shows made the band come to the decision that he wouldn't be involved in the tour.  That's a total guess on my part but wouldn't surprise me if it was close to what happened. 

And for what it's worth, I would have loved to see Adler perform the AFD songs on the tour.  I think he adds an irreplaceable element and sound to those songs. 

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 2

The way I’ve viewed the Adler situation is that he and Izzy were due to play a big part in the April shows. But then Izzy couldn’t agree on money and then Adler hurt his back which left A/S/D with only Frank and Richard as part of the line up. I’m guessing that it made it easy for A/S/D to decide to just have a permanent line up for the April shows as well as the stadium shows to make things run as smooth as possible. Then when Adler phoned Duff ( maybe surprisingly) to say he was ok to play Duff would have told him he was no longer part of the plans. The guest shows were probably a way of showing there was no hard feelings. Again some of it just speculation on my part. 

Edited by Gold top 78

15 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I don't understand all the hate with Frank's drumming. It seems to me as soon as DJ and bumble left that he gets alot of the hate now.

Imho compared to Sorum he definitely has the Appetite feel down much more so then Sorum. Frank is much closer to the ballpark in that regard. 

Unless Steven and Izzy com back one of the new guys will get some hate, but that's just the way it will be because they will never be back other then a few songs every blue moon.

Edited by Order of Nine
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

I don't understand all the hate with Frank's drumming. It seems to me as soon as DJ and bumble left that he gets alot of the hate now.

Imho compared to Sorum he definitely has the Appetite feel down much more so then Sorum. Frank is much closer to the ballpark in that regard. 

Unless Steven and Izzy com back one of the new guys will get some hate, but that's just the way it will be because they will never be back other then a few songs every blue moon.

It's actually quite simple, DJ Ashba replacing Slash on lead guitar is much more offending than Frank replacing Steven. Nothing more to it..Frank has always been bad, he was even worse before NITL and improved much more during it, he was just the least offending member to criticize since there was much worse shit going on in those lineups.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

It's actually quite simple, DJ Ashba replacing Slash on lead guitar is much more offending than Frank replacing Steven. Nothing more to it..Frank has always been bad, he was even worse before NITL and improved much more during it, he was just the least offending member to criticize since there was much worse shit going on in those lineups.

Again, he's the most comparable drummer they've had since Adler left. Adler was always all over the place, erratic with time and was always slowing and speeding up. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Again, he's the most comparable drummer they've had since Adler left. Adler was always all over the place, erratic with time and was always slowing and speeding up. 

No that's Brain. Brain is ten times the drummer Frank is. He had Stevens groove down to a T. I suggest you check out some live performances of the different eras of nugnr and compare them because it's night and day. Adlers all over the place groove was what according to Izzy made it so special in the first place.

Just now, StrangerInThisTown said:

No that's Brain. Brain is ten times the drummer Frank is. He had Stevens groove down to a T. I suggest you check out some live performances of the different eras of nugnr and compare them because it's night and day. Adlers all over the place groove was what according to Izzy made it so special in the first place.

Brain is light years beyond Adler. Different league.

6 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Brain is light years beyond Adler. Different league.

Better drummer totally, doesn't mean fits the band better though. All the prolific skill in the world doesn't mean a thing when it comes to what fits a band and what results in good music. Just check out all those supergroups like Chickenfoot for example where you have all the talent in the world in one place and it's very mediocre music in the end. GNRs music turned out the best with Adler for a reason, and you could already tell the change in style by the time Sorum was on the tracks. As Izzy described it, the music sort of turned into a whole different beast just with a drummer change.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Better drummer totally, doesn't mean fits the band better though. All the prolific skill in the world doesn't mean a thing when it comes to what fits a band and what results in good music. Just check out all those supergroups like Chickenfoot for example where you have all the talent in the world in one place and it's very mediocre music in the end. GNRs music turned out the best with Adler for a reason, and you could already tell the change in style by the time Sorum was on the tracks. As Izzy described it, the music sort of turned into a whole different beast just with a drummer change.

And exactly why I think Frank is the closet thing to what was on appetite.

Sorum came in and thry could have played the same way to a metronome.

Brain was my favorite but Frank had more similarities to Steve then any replacement has had