House of Blues 2001 ***NO LINKS***

It's funny, for years when I was listening to Jungle on the audience bootleg of this, I thought the guy saying "you're in the jungle baby!" at the start of the song was an audience member with a deep voice, but now this shows Axl sang the line like that

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MrMojo said:

Brain made those tracks sound bigger than zeppelin, what a drummer.

On the audience bootleg Axl said "that was some badass shit" to Brain after November Rain, and it was cool to finally see Axl smiling like crazy during the song 

Edited by TheSeeker
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

9 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

On the audience bootleg Axl said "that was some badass shit" to Brain after November Rain, and it was cool to finally see Axl smiling like crazy during the song 

That;s what I miss about the pre CD release performances, brain was always tight but he had the groove and gave the drums and songs a harder/raw feel which I think is missing from the album and with today's performances no disrespect to frank.

2 minutes ago, MYWIFEMYLIFE said:

day 2 and no linksworking, I'll keep digging :D

Just use google

Its there on youtube

Just watched the entire show

Two things, i'm blown away with how good they all sound there, especially Axl, The Blues/Street of Dreams is the highlight of all for me.  Secondly, i'm fucking pissed they let this opportunity basically get lost to history, its incredible and deserved the vest best treatment.

1 hour ago, TheSeeker said:

It was beautiful to watch this

• Like 1

12 hours ago, zombux said:

well, what pisses me off most is, that now the compressed crap quality is everywhere on the internet. people will probably say hm okay fine but this looks like shit, they wanted to release THIS? 

Perhaps precisely because it looks like shit they shelved it. 

The only thing that pisses me off about this is that they have this and things like it just sitting in the vault. It may not make sense for a Blu Ray release, but at this point, with digital streaming, etc. they could put this out in some form and die hard fans at least would buy it. It's a better option than having it collect dust.

• Like 1

It looks like it was shoot on DV (as another poster already commented).

At this time (early 2000s) I was shooting on DV cameras and you could indeed get ones (3 CCD usually) that would shoot in 16:9 by stretching that image across the sensor. In post, you would set it as 16:9 and it would be widescreen formatting.

I have zero doubt that GnR would not have 16:9 NTSC as the baseline for this project. Hell, even NIN were using DV cameras for And All That Could Have Been (multicamera shoot by crew members during the 2000 Fragility 2.0 tour - incidentally, with Robin Finck).

That ended up being shot on consumer (mini) DV camcorders, mixed in 5.1 (available in Dolby Digital and DTS - separate editions) all using Final Cut Pro (I assume other software for the audio mix) and authored on Apple's DVD Studio Pro.

The titles at the start of the HOB video look pretty rough, even for the timeframe of production, so I would bet it was a workprint or WIP (a rough export to assess) rather than anything final. Although its hard to accurately judge based on the current compression in the versions that are out there (even accounting for YouTube), it's entirely possible it's not colour corrected, etc - all things you would do once you lock down the edit.

In short, the workflow looks to have been DV > Edit > Export of whatever quality (definitely sub-par and not in what you would term a master copy) > YouTube (for most people).

Hope this is of some help.

17 hours ago, zombux said:

well, what pisses me off most is, that now the compressed crap quality is everywhere on the internet. people will probably say hm okay fine but this looks like shit, they wanted to release THIS? 

well when i seen how poor the screenshot thumbnail for the youtube video was i had not interest in looking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, millhouse83 said:

It looks like it was shoot on DV (as another poster already commented).

At this time (early 2000s) I was shooting on DV cameras and you could indeed get ones (3 CCD usually) that would shoot in 16:9 by stretching that image across the sensor. In post, you would set it as 16:9 and it would be widescreen formatting.

I have zero doubt that GnR would not have 16:9 NTSC as the baseline for this project. Hell, even NIN were using DV cameras for And All That Could Have Been (multicamera shoot by crew members during the 2000 Fragility 2.0 tour - incidentally, with Robin Finck).

That ended up being shot on consumer (mini) DV camcorders, mixed in 5.1 (available in Dolby Digital and DTS - separate editions) all using Final Cut Pro (I assume other software for the audio mix) and authored on Apple's DVD Studio Pro.

The titles at the start of the HOB video look pretty rough, even for the timeframe of production, so I would bet it was a workprint or WIP (a rough export to assess) rather than anything final. Although its hard to accurately judge based on the current compression in the versions that are out there (even accounting for YouTube), it's entirely possible it's not colour corrected, etc - all things you would do once you lock down the edit.

In short, the workflow looks to have been DV > Edit > Export of whatever quality (definitely sub-par and not in what you would term a master copy) > YouTube (for most people).

Hope this is of some help.

the weird thing is that at least this low quality version looks like a VHS rip. what's the point of recording the show digitally and then make analog transfer? 

15 minutes ago, zombux said:

the weird thing is that at least this low quality version looks like a VHS rip. what's the point of recording the show digitally and then make analog transfer? 

For the hoarder to retain a higher value / higher quality version to obtain higher self fees or as leverage in a trade.

3 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

For the hoarder to retain a higher value / higher quality version to obtain higher self fees or as leverage in a trade.

well, we don't know if the "good quality" version is digital copy, or also a VHS transfer, this time a quality one with big bitrate. so it's hard to guess at this point.

2 minutes ago, Creed said:

When i remember correctly the MTV Awards 2002 rehearsal was on VHS, too. VHS was actually done in 1999, but it wouldnt surprise me if the hoarders only got a VHS. Cause there were still markets where VHS sales where higher than DVD sales. We will never get a better  version  of this show.

of what I heard, the guy who hoarded it said that "his DVD is scratched and ripping is impossible". but there are so many crazy rumors around that thing... funny how the VMA 2002 itself is available at mint quality DVD.

Wow, just watched the show. However sceptic I was about the 2001-2002 period, this was actually way better than RIR3. You can feel the tension in the room of Gn'R being resurrected on stage. :) The NR outro by Bucket was epic, gotta give him credit for that.

Edited by Gaanzer
addition
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1