House of Blues 2001 ***NO LINKS***

Man listening to this again you just pick up on little things that you can’t replace. One of my favorite performances here was LALD, just the way he sings and then those screams are right in his 90’s wheelhouse. You can hear the youth in each performance, it’s something irreplaceable due to time but it’s so great to have this video out now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Man listening to this again you just pick up on little things that you can’t replace. One of my favorite performances here was LALD, just the way he sings and then those screams are right in his 90’s wheelhouse. You can hear the youth in each performance, it’s something irreplaceable due to time but it’s so great to have this video out now.

I think the Saskatoon comparison someone made earlier in this thread is unfair because, honestly, Axl didn't have a lot of room to move around at House of Blues. There was a lot of humanity on that little stage. His stage performance at Rio a few weeks later was fantastic - if only it had the vocals to match...

I loved that he started falsetto on "You Could Be Mine" at House of Blues, but then seemingly just went "fuck it" and sang it like it was 1993. Dude still had it.

On 6/14/2018 at 3:55 PM, RussTCB said:

You're right. Now that the complete HOB video is out there, any "higher quality" version is absolutely useless. The mystery was in seeing/hearing the footage at all. Now that everyone has done that, anyone holding on to a higher quality version will never see a dime for it. They're kidding themselves if they ever think otherwise.

And yeah, the only thing left of any value anymore would be full studio versions of songs not yet released.

well i can tell you if you put it on the market it would move fast because what is out is garbage and not even worth looking at or listening too imo.

1 hour ago, 80309561 said:

well i can tell you if you put it on the market it would move fast because what is out is garbage and not even worth looking at or listening too imo.

true. I only watched some moments here and there, cuz the "quality" is not really worth it. I can see how Robin was damn prominent in the band, he was shining like a star and the "main lead guitarist" (if something like that exists). Bucket was still searching for his right place, but he already stole Nightrain solos and some other things. Brain was so mighty!

oh and what's that in the main Nightrain solo? it almost seems like the sound was patched from the audience recording for some seconds - but that doesn't make sense. 

6 hours ago, 80309561 said:

That's not an accurate statement seeing as a ton of people are having fun watching and listening to it. 

• GNFNR 1

6 hours ago, zombux said:

oh and what's that in the main Nightrain solo? it almost seems like the sound was patched from the audience recording for some seconds - but that doesn't make sense. 

the audience recording is patched in a bunch of times during the show - either the leaker wanted to preserve the value of the show so he fucked with the audio deliberately, or maybe there was audio drop-outs/feedback on the official release that he was trying to fix

I've watched this a few times now and am still in awe of how powerful Silkworms is. Holy crap it's good. I think this may even be my favourite version of KOHD too, he sings it beautifully. 

Also, there are a couple of verses of Nightrain where if you close your eyes he sounds EXACTLY like he did on Appetite. I'm so glad this show finally leaked, thank you so much to whoever it was that did it. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Creed said:

Don't forget that Tommy and Paul Tobias were the biggest assholes in GnR history. Axl is responsible for damaging the GnR brand, while Stinson and Tobias are responsible for mobbing people out of the band. Still Axl was responsible for this situation cause he hired these guys.

Who did Paul mob out of the band?

On 6/11/2018 at 12:18 PM, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Would be fun for that show to leak. There isn't even any audio from those 2 shows!

Yes! I was at the NYE 2002 show front row center stage in the pit and it was incredible! I'm still looking for a shirt or poster if anyone would like to discuss a trade.

33 minutes ago, Creed said:

Don't forget that Tommy and Paul Tobias were the biggest assholes in GnR history. Axl is responsible for damaging the GnR brand, while Stinson and Tobias are responsible for mobbing people out of the band. Still Axl was responsible for this situation cause he hired these guys.

I remember reading somewhere that Tommy used to bully Buckethead a lot and tried everything to make him leave the band.
And Bumblefoot said that he had a very toxic relationship with some of the bandmembers when he joined, like that they wanted him out. As far as I know he has a good relationship with Robin, so I'm pretty sure Tommy was one of those bandmembers...

Edited by Uncle Bob

33 minutes ago, Creed said:

Slash. Slash tried to talk with him, because he hated his disrespectful behaviour. Slash said that Paul didnt  care about what had to say. Paul said sth like: 'I don't care. I know that i'm great.' And Axl used Paul as his tool against Slash. 

Source for the bolded? Never read it anywhere (interview, book etc.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Creed said:

Slash. Slash tried to talk with him, because he hated his disrespectful behaviour. Slash said that Paul didnt  care about what had to say. Paul said sth like: 'I don't care. I know that i'm great.' And Axl used Paul as his tool against Slash. 

What is the source for this? 

It is obvious both Slash and Duff didn't care for Paul, but a lot of it was due to him being forced upon them and them not liking what he brought to the band musically:

Slash: I never liked that guy from day one. That's one of the biggest, most personal things that Axl and I have gone through. It really pissed me off that he brought in an outside guitar player without ever telling me. [...] While we were doing it (recording the song), we had to write down how many bars each section was, because without vocals you don't know where the next change is going to come. But we got it done and the guitar solos on and everything, and then Axl went in to do vocals... and the next thing you know, there's this "answer" guitar going on during my guitar solo! It's Paul Huge! I will probably never forgive Axl for that. [Kerrang! January, 1995].

Duff: [Axl] had hired his best friend for the band. I couldn't play with him. Paul Huge, that was the guy! He's a friend of Axl, he's a 'yes man.' [...] Man, you can't be in Guns N' Roses just like that. That was a real band. [...] Well, imagine you and I grow up together and you're my best friend. OK, I'm in Guns N' Roses and I tell the rest you're going to join the band. "OK, Slash, Axl, Matt, guys, this guy is in the band". "Duff, you got a minute?" "No, he's in the band" "Well, no. Everyone in the band has to vote it, Duff, so no way!" "Fuck you, this guy is in the band! I'm not doing anything unless this guy is in the band" "OK, you know what? We'll try and play with him, since you're that much interested in it. Hey Duff, the guy can't play" "I don't care" "Well that's not very reasonable." "I don't care". At that point, what would you do? I came to a point where I couldn't even look at [Paul Huge] [Popular 1, July 2000]

One might say that a lot of the anger directed towards Paul really stemmed from Axl's powerplay and the overall toxic environment in the band at the time. They couldn't deal with Axl so they took it out on Paul. In fact, Slash even admitted that Paul might be an okay guy:

Slash: Paul is in my mind completely useless. I hate that guy. I’m sorry, I’m sure he’s very nice but in a rock n roll context he’s pathetic, and as far as his relationship with Izzy, they’re Indiana kids, I can understand he feels comfortable, but I refuse to ever play with him again. I have to go home and deal with that, but as far as I know he’s out [Spin, Kerrang! July 1995]

You can't really be more succinct than Slash is here:

Slash: I hate that guy. Paul's just a friend of Axl's, and he brought Paul in without telling me and I got really angry [French TV, 1995]. He was hated because he was forced upon them.

Paul became the physical manifestation of Axl taking over the band, of Slash and Duff's impotence at standing up against Axl, and of the band falling apart.

I am not saying they would have hit it off if it wasn't for all of this (who knows? there are quotes that suggested he came off as a douche), just that Paul didn't really have a chance. The situation was entirely stacked against him. 

So I have found nothing that would support the idea that Paul mobbed Slash out of the band. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Creed said:

Idk, Paul pissed off Matt which set off Matts departure, but that seemed like a larger Axl/Matt thing then anything Paul could conjure. Far from Paul mobbing anyone out, while Finck and Bucket were trying to get rid or one another: Paul just quit. I think Stinson would've been happy to see Paul gone sooner. And maybe even tired to see to it, at least in the beginning. But I kinda doubt anyone cared what Paul said or did.

From Chinese Whispers:

"I came around in '98, when the band was still writing the record. It was Paul Tobias and Robin Finck on guitar, Dizzy Reed and Chris Pitman on keys, Josh on drums, and me.

[...] We all just started hammering ideas out. [...] We were all left to our own devices to come up with individual instrumental parts. The broader song ideas had to be hammered out." (Tommy, Bass Player, 04/09) 

"Another source says there's tension between [Tommy and Paul Huge] because Huge 'has the whole Guns attitude but he's never toured.'" (Spin, 07/99)

"There were guys who'd never ever made a record putting out their ideas. At first, those of us who'd actually made records thought their ideas sucked, but there were also some good ones. [...] We each had to give reasons for liking or disliking something – you couldn’t just be bull-headed. We had to function as a democracy or we’d end up hating each other. Collaborating was good for that. I think every one of us learned a lot from it." (Tommy, Bass Player, 04/09)

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?pid=54775#p54775

6 hours ago, Uncle Bob said:

I remember reading somewhere that Tommy used to bully Buckethead a lot and tried everything to make him leave the band.
And Bumblefoot said that he had a very toxic relationship with some of the bandmembers when he joined, like that they wanted him out. As far as I know he has a good relationship with Robin, so I'm pretty sure Tommy was one of those bandmembers...

I’m pretty sure most of the band wanted Finck to be the sole lead guitarist. Buckethead, and later Bumblefoot, stood in the way of that. 

According to Slash, he and Paul Tobias "interacted" in the studio for no more than two weeks in 1994:

Axl’s been wanting to make a record this whole time. But when we finally got together and I’d written some material, he didn’t want to do that type of music, cos the scene had changed. I’m not going to keep up with trends, so we had a conflict of interests. That’s when Paul Huge came in. After two weeks I said I wouldn’t work with him. Axl got really pissed off about it, and I took off in March ’94 to do my own thing with Snakepit. So now, I’ve come back and Paul is still there. Now, I’m dealing with this. [...]  I’m going to confront it. Either Paul goes, or he… Well, this is personal. I don’t want to get into this. But during this whole period, Axl’s been geared to get up and do it. [Kerrang, November 1996]

It's not clear if Axl tried to force Paul as a band member or as a co-writer as well as his "trusted guy" in the studio who would report back to him. From the Zakk Wylde sessions and from interviews of the time (including Slash's) it looks like the second guitarist spot was open. And Tobias, from the little known about him, didn't come across as someone liking the spotlight and having ambition to be a rockstar, but as a behind the scenes person. 

Regardless, the fact alone that Axl brought him there and he was an "Axl guy" was enough for Slash to not like him at that point, given the -growing, since the tour- dysfanctionality of the band. Axl, on his part, saw it as Slash not giving the guy a chance and was pissed. But, considering that Duff didn't like him either (and even Tommy and Robin Finck had problems with him in the beginning), it seems that Paul did have an attitude (unlike Dizzy, who was also an Axl guy, but always knew his place and kept his mouth shut); maybe because it's his character and thought he was entitled to by the position Axl had put him to or because he really thought he was helping and defending his friend that way - the incident with Matt is indicative of the latter.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Creed said:

But again, the main problem was Axl. He wanted to add Zakk and Paul, while the band didn't want to. Axls comments are totally bizarre and confusing about that era. Axl went totally nuts. For some reasons he was pushing out Slash out of the band. 

remember that effectively GNR had two lineups during that era ("official lineup" still having Slash, Duff, and Matt, "shadow lineup" more or less led by Paul, including numerous session players, and "something between" was Robin and probably Dizzy), before the "real" band started to appear around early 1998