The Plague (1986 Sound City Session) Discussion (unheard vocals!)

47 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I doubt there's much interesting stuff to put into a UYI box tbh.

A remix and remaster of the albums would be interesting.

Axl has said he wasn't happy with the sound of the drums, and felt it sounds dated today. A remix of the drums could improve on that.

If I recall correctly, Slash has said he would've liked the tracks to sound more raw. A sound mix in the vain of TSI would be appreciated.

There are demo tapes that could be included in a box set.

Lots of music videos to upscale to 4K with 5.1.

The tour documentary could always see the light of day...

Edited by Spirit

48 minutes ago, Spirit said:

A remix and remaster of the albums would be interesting.

Axl has said he wasn't happy with the sound of the drums, and felt it sounds dated today. A remix of the drums could improve on that.

If I recall correctly, Slash has said he would've liked the tracks to sound more raw. A sound mix in the vain of TSI would be appreciated.

There are demo tapes that could be included in a box set.

Lots of music videos to upscale to 4K with 5.1.

The tour documentary could always see the light of day...

I personally doubt they would touch the mixes. A quick remaster is probably all we would get and it probably would sound worse than the original release. I would like a remix of the album however. 

8 hours ago, TheSlashrose said:

03 Ain't Goin' Down No More (Instrumental Version 1986 Sound City Session) i don't like, song was short, the version with vocals are 05:09 version from AFD deluxe are 3:30 :max:

That's because the AFD version is a bit faster. The one with the vocals was done in the UYI sessions with Matt on drums and it's a little slower.

6 hours ago, Spirit said:

Where/When he said that?
I'm about to write an essay about how much axl seems to love drums.

Edited by NeonKinight

A little Bo Diddley style jam that they likely never played again & forgot about until an intern was going through tapes for this box.  Pretty cool, though.  More evidence of the instant chemistry these guys had that they could just flick something out like this with what was probably very little thought.  Amazing.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, oneway23 said:

A little Bo Diddley style jam that they likely never played again & forgot about until an intern was going through tapes for this box.  Pretty cool, though.  More evidence of the instant chemistry these guys had that they could just flick something out like this with what was probably very little thought.  Amazing.

yes yes yes

axl seems to have the lyrics and the melodies very clear in his head while he sings

guitars seem very raw

that leads me to believe that axl must have had the lyrics and the vocal melodies in his head for a while and asked some of the guys to play something "to go with it"

and someone (sounds like Slash) just did a very fast impromptu guitar stuff to go along with it

there is a bit of drums in the back but clearly not a full band arrangement, right?

i believe it was you that pointed on the NEW WORK TUNE thread that they may have a lot of little unfinished ideas like these and let me tell you i wanna hear them all, GNR HOLY GRAIL right there!

:headbang: 

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 3

On 28/06/2018 at 6:31 PM, Blackstar said:

It sounds like just an improvised idea for a song.

I can't make out the lyrics apart from the lines already quoted in the Rolling Stone user's guide (So you've been nailed to a cross, what it cost, what's your loss, but you know that a cheap imitation just won't free me )

VERY HARD TO FIGURE OUT INDEED!

Call...

Call it The Plague

Call again, call ... ... call (the names?) that you want

Cause you know that you are but you just won't (bleed?) me

So you've been nailed to a cross

What it cost?

What's your loss?

But you know that a cheap imitation just won't free me

I don't know what you been (putting me through?)

But I will put it (to an end?)

You been walking on (thin ice?)

You are on the (scheme?)

I said (...)

I won't take it anymore

I won't take it anymore

I won't take it anymore

I won't take it anymore

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

from the 5 second mark to the 10 second mark, that part.  It sounds like they are putting lyrics over the main riff of Paradise city, or a slight variation on Paradise city.

yeah maybe a bit similar not sure

it happens in bands all the time

you start playing something (improvising or writing) and then "oh no" you realise you are playing the exact same thing or something similar that you or your bandmates wrote for another song

13 hours ago, ludurigan said:

yeah maybe a bit similar not sure

it happens in bands all the time

you start playing something (improvising or writing) and then "oh no" you realise you are playing the exact same thing or something similar that you or your bandmates wrote for another song

Yeah, that's what I was thinking!  I wonder if this was before or after they wrote paradise.