Is Slash really a better guitarist today than he was in the 90s?

7 minutes ago, moreblack said:

Guitar fans should be doing that anyway.

As a player you should know that Slash was the "Anti-Yngwie" when he came up. If you prefer aimless wankery that doesn't serve the song at all,  more power to you. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

It's like he doesn't know restraint any more. In the old days he would tease the opening to Welcome just a little bit, to get the crowd reaction and build some suspense. Now he does lots of false starts and improvisation with echo, abandoning the riff, and going many step in seemingly no direction at all, before Axl starts the "You know where you are?" and Slash gets back on track. It's like he has become senile.

When I see the opening to Jungle I see Slash just doing that because he never knows when Axl is going to jump in.  I don't think it is by his design that the intro is so long. He is just teasing into it until Axl is ready.. I think Axl is mentally preparing himself for the "you know where the fuck you aree????"

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

Absolutely not. I feel like Slash has been the weak link in the reunion. He still has the talent, but it's his choice in what he plays. He does way more mindless noodling now than I'd ever heard him do in all the years before. I think of the CD songs and with songs like Sorry and Better, they were ripe for a really cool, soulful Slash solo and they're actually shit, *especially* This I Love. While I love Robin's solo, I was very curious to see what Slash was gonna come up with and in my mind, I imagined NR levels of epic, but got bullshit. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, TiedHands said:

Absolutely not. I feel like Slash has been the weak link in the reunion. He still has the talent, but it's his choice in what he plays. He does way more mindless noodling now than I'd ever heard him do in all the years before. I think of the CD songs and with songs like Sorry and Better, they were ripe for a really cool, soulful Slash solo and they're actually shit, *especially* This I Love. While I love Robin's solo, I was very curious to see what Slash was gonna come up with and in my mind, I imagined NR levels of epic, but got bullshit. 

got bullshit. 

You got your hopes up too high.. You can't polish a turd.. Those songs are going to suck either way.. And if you think Slash is the weak link hahah... You need to get your ears checked if you think his playing is worse than the drumming and Axl's vocals.

• Like 1

We all love Slash. But really, what Finck did on the album with This I love is so, so much better than Slash's "version". Come on, listen. If you know guitar playing and you know Slash it is clear as day: He doesn't care for the song and just noodles away. :D I really think he believes everything he does is great anyway these days. Too much worshipping, no critique from no one at all for years and years.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

As a player you should know that Slash was the "Anti-Yngwie" when he came up. If you prefer aimless wankery that doesn't serve the song at all,  more power to you. ;)

You don't have to prefer anything, just hear all ways of playing.

5 minutes ago, moreblack said:

Says the guy with the initials EvH?

Eddie was always very song oriented player, his rhythm work is actually as impressive as the leads. But in the end, it's all a matter of taste. 

If Slash could get that mojo back with his new skill level, that would be so exciting to hear!

I got a crazy idea, put him in a rehearsal room with Axl fucking Rose and let them work on each others stuff to bring out the best, inspired and cool stuff they had since the 90s.

Oh, well. 

He's the same guitar player, but he 's not as creative as he used to be. 

The surroundings of great bands to inspire him, isn't there either. So he has to look back to be inspired, and it's not the same thing.

He was definitely more creative in the 90's

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

You got your hopes up too high.. You can't polish a turd.. Those songs are going to suck either way.. And if you think Slash is the weak link hahah... You need to get your ears checked if you think his playing is worse than the drumming and Axl's vocals.

I don't see how you not liking the song makes Slash's solo on it any less shit? 

17 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Eddie was always very song oriented player, his rhythm work is actually as impressive as the leads. But in the end, it's all a matter of taste. 

The dude can play for sure. But in the era that he emerged, at the peak of punk and with the big players in rock being stuff like the Stones and Bad Company, EvH must have come across as the ultimate wanker. 

Edited by moreblack

I think he's doing fine on his own material yeah. He does noodle a bit but it's never something that has massively stood out to me. As others have said the solos he does on CD songs are quite shit and no effort clearly went into them. 

Didnt read the whole thread but I believe he is just uninspired, lost the fire after so many years of a career that didnt go anywhere. 

Maybe a new GNR album could bring it back, who knows? He seems to be as bored as Axl. 

Edited by default_
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, moreblack said:

As an EvH fan, can you really say that?

That reply alone shows how little you seem to understand about guitar, and to know about Eddie's playing and output...

You can keep Malmsteen, his 140344 notes per second and his Ferrari-pendants. 

Edited by EvH

Just now, EvH said:

That reply alone shows how little you seem to understand about guitar, and to know about Eddie's playing and output...

You can keep Malmsteen, his 140344 notes per second and his Ferrari-pendants. 

I can say the same thing to you about Yngwie. :lol:

Just now, EvH said:

:P fine, let's leave it at that.

Let's hope we at least agree on the best, most complete player (after :dj:) :

10%20tufnel.jpg

Complete with the Jeff Beck haircut. Awesome. There's a 70s interview where Jeff sounds exactly like the "these go to 11" bit from the movie.