Is Slash really a better guitarist today than he was in the 90s?

Technically better, yes. But, to me, sometimes when guitar players get more Technically proficient they can somewhat lose the magic they once had. I haven't heard much of the myles Kennedy-stuff, but can it be that the presence of Fortus has made slash more of a "noodler"? Since Fortus is a very technical and fast player, perhaps slash doesn't want to be the "slow hands" of the band and therefore he's playing a lot of fast runs where he earlier would focus on sustaining notes and playing a melody? Just a hypothesis. 

• Like 4

I thought his TiL solos were set showpieces for a lot of 2016. I was blown away by his takes the 3 2016 gigs I saw. Seems like he got bored with the song, its been way more mindless in 2017 and 2018. I really enjoy him on ChiDem and Better, Prostitute and TWAT are alright, Sorry is hit and miss, and Catcher is too noodly 

• Like 1

I don't know what's with this forum, whether you have an impaired hearing or drowning in prejudice, but I cannot believe posters who claim that Ashba played bad solos in terms of 'sticking as it is on the CD'. He's sticking to authenticity more than Slash does nowaadays.

Ashba's version of This I Love is 99% identical to the Finck one. Same with Sorry and Better. What are you people talking about?!

WTF?! Another Mendela effect taking place.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Homefuck said:

Technically better, yes. But, to me, sometimes when guitar players get more Technically proficient they can somewhat lose the magic they once had. I haven't heard much of the myles Kennedy-stuff, but can it be that the presence of Fortus has made slash more of a "noodler"? Since Fortus is a very technical and fast player, perhaps slash doesn't want to be the "slow hands" of the band and therefore he's playing a lot of fast runs where he earlier would focus on sustaining notes and playing a melody? Just a hypothesis. 

That and trying to fill the bucketbumbleheadfoot shoes (both virtuosos)

• Like 1

I thought Slash's playing leading up to the reunion was at it's all time best.. His playing with SMKC was off the charts. Anastasia live in Sydney is my all time favorite live performance of his. I think Slash is all about chemistry and I don't think there is any natural chemistry with Frank and Fortus and it shows.  I don't think Pyro and possible click tracks help either... That said the vast majority of people still say that he pretty much carries these shows on his shoulders. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 3

55 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

I don't know what's with this forum, whether you have an impaired hearing or drowning in prejudice, but I cannot believe posters who claim that Ashba played bad solos in terms of 'sticking as it is on the CD'. He's sticking to authenticity more than Slash does nowaadays.

Ashba's version of This I Love is 99% identical to the Finck one. Same with Sorry and Better. What are you people talking about?!

WTF?! Another Mendela effect taking place.

Patience being the exception, of course!

"Living the dream!" :axl:

Edited by EvH
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I thought Slash's playing leading up to the reunion was at it's all time best.. His playing with SMKC was off the charts. Anastasia live in Sydney is my all time favorite live performance of his. I think Slash is all about chemistry and I don't think there is any natural chemistry with Frank and Fortus and it shows.  I don't think Pyro and possible click tracks help either... That said the vast majority of people still say that he pretty much carries these shows on his shoulders. 

A click track seems pretty obvious since frank is counting in every song (the most obvious one being it's so easy).

• Like 1

I'm  a guitar player myself and in my youth there was no other player I loved more, you could say I studied Slash thru the years.

In my opinion, his absolute peak was during the Illusion years, including his guest spots at that time. Stuff like Give in to me and Always on the run, as well as everything on the Illusion records were (and still are today) pure perfection .

He just had more style, more tone and more TASTE than any other rock guitarist ever.

That's what really made him so unique and so great - there always been thousands of guitarist better than him from a technically point of view.

Now, it seems like he more or less lost that taste. I think it sucks extremely hard, but everything I hear from him since at least Apocalyptic Love indicates that.

Could you imagine the 2018 Slash write and record something as cool as Always on the run? I can't. It's a million miles above the wanky shit he gives us now.

I'm afraid he really gave in to the whole world kissing his ass for years and years. 

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

He seems to be technically better, but he rarely plays something that awes me. These days he seems to want to cram as many notes as he can into solos, instead of more sustained notes and slower melodies. 

This.

I think he did not took the time to compose his own solos on some songs.

Songs like Sorry and TIL ask for Slash solos. He had made amazing slow solos; don't cry is by far one of the most emotional solos out there.

Slash should know better than everyone that a slow tempo song requieres a slow passional solo; some of his solos on Sorry requiere a lot of technique but you hear them and they are not passional at all.

On topic; yeah, he's getting better. Even attempting to do the TWAT solo, even in his own style is a big kudos to him. 

Im not asking Slash to be Buckethead, only him can play with such passion and technique; I ask him to be Slash. I think that if he dedicates his time to compose a beautiful TIL solo it'd be one of the best things we heard.

My take is just a mash up of what others have already posted. For me Five O'clock Somewhere was the high water mark. I didnt follow SMKC closely but after people pointed out how good he was playing I checked it out and agree that he was playing some ace shit! Probably the tighter band helps? I havent cared for his solo spot on NITL, personally. But I think he is playing great in the songs! As far as CD tracks, for me he got Sorry down right form the start and the other cd stuff took more time to come together. We need @MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle to offer the timeline for that! I think he has one fantastic takes of each track!

I think that VRs style didnt get the best out of Slash and this set him back creatively. Just speculation though.

I think we should wait to see the SMKC tour... :headbang:

Edited by soon

5 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

God, I hate it so much when people use THAT song to prove their point. :D

Go listen to Yngwie Malmsteen  then, you'll love it.

I still consider it one of the better things to come out of Slash's collab with Myles but I'm baffled when people act like it's some kind of modern rock masterpiece.

Just now, MrMojo said:

Riff is great, song is good but it's just lacking some variation to make it an all time classic.

Better lyrics as well.

• Like 1

It's like he doesn't know restraint any more. In the old days he would tease the opening to Welcome just a little bit, to get the crowd reaction and build some suspense. Now he does lots of false starts and improvisation with echo, abandoning the riff, and going many step in seemingly no direction at all, before Axl starts the "You know where you are?" and Slash gets back on track. It's like he has become senile.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, SoulMonster said:

It's like he doesn't know restraint any more. In the old days he would tease the opening to Welcome just a little bit, to get the crowd reaction and build some suspense. Now he does lots of false starts and improvisation with echo, abandoning the riff, and going many step in seemingly no direction at all, before Axl starts the "You know where you are?" and Slash gets back on track. It's like he has become senile.

I was going to post on that as well.

I hate what Slash does with the Jungle intro. Delayed noise, not building any tension at all.

• Like 2

His playing will be much more inspired when he is touring his solo stuff.

Aside from the money playing with GNR has to be soul crushing for him. They make no new music, and he is stuck with a rhythm guitarist and drummer that frankly are a downgrade on the GNR stuff compared to what he plays with in his solo outfit.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tucknroll said:

He's probably better but some cool stuff can come from being wasted and sloppy in my opinion.

Not a lot really, Jimmy Page went downhill fast once he started abusing substances. Which is where Slash was going in the 90s.