Appetite for Distortion Ep. 76 - Marc Danzeisen, Gilby Clarke/Riverdogs

As an old returning fan (yeah sorry, but Iron Maiden has kept me occupied the last 20 years) I am so not following what is going on in the GnR community. I am trying to keep up, but since being away for so long, it's like stepping inside the oval office of Donald Trump - pointing fingers in every direction, hating, fake news, accusations... GNRtruth?? Why does the same kind of people that are drawned to conspiratory communities like 9/11 or the moon landing seem to drawn to GnR? They use the same vocabulary and phraseology. Has it always been like this? This is serious question. I'm not seeing this sentiment, not by a long stretch, in other band communities that I am involved in. It's like a religious movement that has divided in two different paths and you choose one to follow (don't get me wrong, Maiden is a religious movement also, but I have never felt that we are anything but united).

• Like 1

@Wagszilla you forgot the years before 2001, it was already an era full of fakes (Cats in the Cradle, Every Rose Has Its Thorn, or My Favourite Pillow, that was, ehh, my favourite) :) 

that happens when fans get no music, just everyday silence, no communication at all (and if there's some, it's cancellation of shows or threatening people over sharing unreleased stuff).

I'd also add something like people missing Bumblefoot and realizing he was great to the last year or two :) 

Edited by zombux
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wagszilla said:

@zombux

Yeah I forgot to include the GNROnline days of people posting Axl's phone number and address, posting their tits before tits or GTFO was a thing, trading Live Era and boot legs via BBBoards and IP stashes while the normies downloaded from Napster and Limewire.

I actually remember when in 1999 a friend of mine (pre-internet days) a friend of mine suddenly gave Live Era to me, saying hey you're a GNR fan, here's their new album!!! I was like oh, finally, they keep promising that since 1993! of course it was a huge disappointment when I realized it was just a live album and the only thing I found "new" was It's Alright. 

a couple of weeks or months later I first went to the internet, literally the first result of google search for stuff was Snakepit website. I checked it and saw weird shit. wtf is this "Snakepit thing"? what is "Tijuana Jail" or "Cure Me Or Kill Me"? I don't get this at all!

around the same time, there was an article in local rock magazine about the state of GNR. I realized that the internet wasn't wrong, that the lineup I knew was gone. but there was a hope. I was playing Quake back in the day and I knew about its soundtrack made by NIN. and now there was that Finck guy, who came from NIN (altough I never listened to anything from them, my Quake copy was a pirated copy without music!). I was like... hm. right. that can't be that bad. so I went to check some stuff, said OK let's see how it goes.

it took a few more months to find the whole picture. OK, Slash has Snakepit with some unknown people and Gilby. Duff has some "Hope" and "Mezz", I have no idea what that is. and GNR... has some "multiinstrumentalist called Buckethead" and there's some more guys who came from various bands I had no idea about. 

fast forward a bit, until about mid-2001. on the interwebz, I noted that RIR3 happened and the reviews were mostly about "3 guitarists while none of them is like Slash". weird stuff. remember there was no Youtube and I mostly only had only unstable and expensive dial-up, so I only watched some low-res pictures.

then in Fall 2001, I finally got access to some decent connection in my new school. I fired up Kazzaa or Gnutella or Limewire or what was that, and plunged into the huge steaming pile of GNR files. most of them were fakes as Britney's tits, but there were some gems. a huge mix of old unreleased demos (Del James would probably kill me for downloading a couple of them). no legit stuff from RIR3, all were fakes.

only in summer 2002 I actually managed to download some fresh stuff. a couple of live recordings from RIR and Vegas, and also summer 2002 Euro tour. it all sounded different from the old era. but hey I kind of liked that. 

and then I listened to Bucket's Nightrain solo, I think it was Leeds 2002 version, but hard to say, it might have also been RIR3 or something else. I said hey... this is actually really good!

and I also managed to download my first "newgnr" video. it was a short clip of The Blues from RIR3, the final part after the guitar and piano chorus, when Axl jumps from the piano and the videocam looks into Bucket's face.

then it all ended with some legendary US 2002 tour, which somehow existed and ended. and only shortly after that, I managed to have more stable interwebz and started, for the first time, looking into fan communities.

there was that weird swedish site, with address like hem.passagen.se/~jarmo or something, I met that one already back in 1999. there was newgnr.com. and of course, newgnr DC hub. then paradisecity tracker. gnronline.com was useless in 1999, as much as in 2005.

and then, we're kind of finally in the modern era, some time in mid-2005, before all the leaks happened (not counting trash-quality IRS) and hell broke loose.

huh. I just wanted to write a sentence or two, sorry for this tl;dr :) 

1 hour ago, Wagszilla said:

glory days of 2006

"Glory days" :lol: 

There were no glory days since 1991, unfortunately :lol: Had they managed to properly release material, yeah, but all weve got was bulshit since 1991. We are kind of a masochist community. 

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Removed some posts. Please do not post anything relating to the their (Alfred, mofo & Truth) social media. 

We don't need to draw any more attention to them then they're already getting for their actions. 

Sorry...just wanted to know who ran that page. Don't want to follow that fuckin piece of garbage!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soon said:

That new GNR Central and AFD show wth Ms Metal and fucking Doug Goldstein is awesome!!:headbang:

To have a former manager be able to give credence to all of our views of things was fantastic. And you all made incredible points through out. Even cooler, for me at least, is that y'all also managed to bring some joy and smiles. It was just a buzz to watch. I think most of us are kinda feeling the gross vibes because of all this stuff and this podcast is a perfect antidote.

A must listen/watch episode!!

I watched a bit last night but had to go sleep. I will check it again later but I wanted to say that I am looooooooooooving these episodes with FANS and having Goldstein was "gold" (no pun intended :lol:) and I hope more fans are invited to them, for the assholes to see that we are REAL and have no fear of any of them, all the contrary, this empowerment is fantabulous!

Thanks to @sidman69 and @Gambit83 for both shows, please please never go away, we need you more than ever and you have all of our support!!! :headbang:

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I watched a bit last night but had to go sleep. I will check it again later but I wanted to say that I am looooooooooooving these episodes with FANS and having Goldstein was "gold" (no pun intended :lol:) and I hope more fans are invited to them, for the assholes to see that we are REAL and have no fear of any of them, all the contrary, this empowerment is fantabulous!

Thanks to @sidman69 and @Gambit83 for both shows, please please never go away, we need you more than ever and you have all of our support!!! :headbang:

Agreed! These dudes rock

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

Just listened to whole thing. Once again great job Brando. I also just want to congratulate Marc for being on an album that is very well-regarded in GNR fandom (in my experience)- and that 24 years later he’s still active in the business (e.g. people were waiting for him to get back to the studio at the end of the call, etc.). Not bad.

Brando- I hope you really re-visit the “Gilby Clarke” branch of the GNR tree from time-to-time. Always interested in hearing about Pawnshop- and The Hangover (also good record w/some GNR overtones IMHO) may also warrant an episode. Would be tremendous if you could get Teddy ‘Zig-Zag’- or even the man (Gilby) himself (w/Marc as co-host- great idea!).

Thanks again...

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1