Will President Trump get a Cease and Desist Letter for using November Rain at his Rallies

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Again, I am not discussing your silly comparisons, I am discussing your claim that Axl should have been supporting Trump. Like when you wrote, "If I were W. Axl Rose I'd almost certainly vote Trump" and when you said you disagreed with downzy's conclusion that Axl would take issue with Trump. But I suppose you have already forgotten you wrote all this? I guess that is the side-effect of not putting much thoughts into your posts as long as they succeed at containing attacks on Axl, right?

When some celebrity decides to take a moral-politico stance on something, be it a politician's election, I'm forced to assess that celebrity personally, in ways I wouldn't normally. What am I then to think when Rose (say) condones Trump's ''grab them by the pussy'' rhetoric (I'm not saying Rose has condoned Trump's remarks but case of argument...) when he himself put his girlfriend and wife through immense emotional, physical and sexual violence? I wouldn't hedge my bets against Trump necessarily having less decorum around women than Rose, his vehement critic!

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

When some celebrity decides to take a moral-politico stance on something, be it a politician's election, I'm forced to assess that celebrity personally, in ways I wouldn't normally. What am I then to think when Rose (say) condones Trump's ''grab them by the pussy'' rhetoric (I'm not saying Rose has condoned Trump's remarks but case of argument...) when he himself put his girlfriend and wife through immense emotional, physical and sexual violence? I wouldn't hedge my bets against Trump necessarily having less decorum around women than Rose, his vehement critic!

What you say could be simplified to the old "the pot calling the kettle black".

Many people think that Axl doesn't have any moral authority to be pointing fingers at others. You can perceive this in the comments of most social media or news websites that post stories about him. Especially when he goes against Trump, many people laugh at his opinion and bring up Axl's public mistakes from the past.

Also, I must say the mirror effect is real..... There is the possibility of hating or disliking a person of similar characteristics than yourself, because you see yourself reflected on them and do not like what they project.

• Like 2

Don`t understand this discussion. DT and Axl are nothing alike.....at least not nowadays. On most of his appearances off stage Axl comes agross as rather mellow, funny and softspoken person with the ability of not taking himself too seriously. Can`t say that about DT. Maybe Axl can advise him on the meds ......

Edited by God of Thunder

Even 10 years after he had made it, not many people knew about or remembered Eric Clapton's racist speech

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eric-clapton-racist-remarks/

(which, imo, was worse than Axl, because at least in Axl's case it was poetic license). There was an article in 1989, reproduced in many US newspapers, saying Axl didn't deserve to play with the Rolling Stones because of OIAM unlike the other guests including Clapton. I had to laugh at that writer and the irony of his unawareness even about the Stones themselves.

David Bowie had flirted with the aesthetics of fascism for a while, and he had said (paraphrased) that Hitler was the biggest rock star ever and that it would be nice if England had a fascist regime because it would facilitate liberalism or something like that. Of course he wasn't a fascist though and he wasn't condemned years later for that statement.

It's been 25-30 since Axl was accused of those things, yet some people think that time has frozen and he doesn't have the right speak and vote against a bad president.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Modano09 said:

Does it at all matter that Axl's questionable behavior towards women and views on homosexuals and immigrants are from about 20 to 30 years ago and Trump's are from like yesterday?

How do we know those views are updated?

I have yet to find an interview or speech where Axl has voiced out his new visions on these topics.

Maybe I have a bad memory....

If Axl sent a C&D it wouldn't be public record unless A) Trump made it public B) Axl or his team announced it C) If it went into legal proceedings it would become a matter of public record by way of that process. So since no lawsuits are taking place, if nether party told us we wouldn't know if a C&D had been sent.

http://www.patent-trademark-law.com/law/sued-cease-desist-letter-means/

So, Axl may have sent one? And we can see that hes in a no win situation based on this thread. Announce it an your grandstanding, don't do it and you're a fraud.

2 minutes ago, soon said:

If Axl sent a C&D it wouldn't be public record unless A) Trump made it public B) Axl or his team announced it C) If it went into legal proceedings it would become a matter of public record by way of that process. So since no lawsuits are taking place, if nether party told us we wouldn't know if a C&D had been sent.

http://www.patent-trademark-law.com/law/sued-cease-desist-letter-means/

So, Axl may have sent one? And we can see that hes in a no win situation based on this thread. Announce it an your grandstanding, don't do it and you're a fraud.

Only one person seems to think it would be grandstanding. It's also been mentioned in the thread that the leadership here does know for a fact that they have not sent a C&D

8 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Only one person seems to think it would be grandstanding. It's also been mentioned in the thread that the leadership here does know for a fact that they have not sent a C&D

Huh, I missed that. Whys the thread still open?

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Even 10 years after he had made it, not many people knew about or remembered Eric Clapton's racist speech

(which, imo, was worse than Axl, because at least in Axl's case it was poetic license). There was an article in 1989, reproduced in many US newspapers, saying Axl didn't deserve to play with the Rolling Stones because of OIAM unlike the other guests including Clapton. I had to laugh at that writer and the irony of his unawareness even about the Stones themselves.

David Bowie had flirted with the aesthetics of fascism for a while, and he had said (paraphrased) that Hitler was the biggest rock star ever and that it would be nice if England had a fascist regime because it would facilitate liberalism or something like that. Of course he wasn't a fascist though and he wasn't condemned years later for that statement.

It's been 25-30 since Axl was accused of those things, yet some people think that time has frozen and he doesn't have the right speak and vote against a bad president.

Me and Len have had multiple discussions on that very speech. The height of hypocrisy given that his entire music is based around black people's music. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Amazed me this about Eric Clapton, i read this few months ago:question:

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Me and Len have had multiple discussions on that very speech. The height of hypocrisy given that his entire music is based around black people's music. 

It is hypocrisy. But it seems that interest in black culture and racism have always sat together. Minstrel Shows in Black Face were both interested in Black Culture and also racist. Or slave owners having female 'house workers.' Othello was performed in Black Face even though a "Moor" was respected enough and interesting enough to be the main character. The hypocrisy is so built into the model of racism that its not really an anomaly when an individual racist lives out these contradictions. Almost to the extend that in the internal logic its not hypocrisy, just that racism lays claim to culture while denying that cultures people.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, soon said:

It is hypocrisy. But it seems that interest in black culture and racism have always sat together. Minstrel Shows in Black Face were both interested in Black Culture and also racist. Or slave owners having female 'house workers.' Othello was performed in Black Face even though a "Moor" was respected enough and interesting enough to be the main character. The hypocrisy is so built into the model of racism that its not really an anomaly when an individual racist lives out these contradictions. Almost to the extend that in the internal logic its not hypocrisy, just that racism lays claim to culture while denying that cultures people.

That is a good point. Minstrel shows both proliferated and celebrated black ''jazz'' music whilst acting out black stereotypes. 

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

How sincere Clapton's apologies are, who knows.

This one has it all: it was the alcohol, it was the drugs and the cherry on top: I can't be racist, I have black friends.:D OK, Eric. 

Edited by Fourteenbeers

7 minutes ago, killuridols said:

What point are we trying to make by now bringing Clapton into the conversation? :question:

I am lost.

I think @Blackstar's point was that there was an article where Axl was bashed because of OIAM  (and therefore wasn't worthy of performing with the Stones )but not Eric Clapton who had given a racist speech.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Tori72 said:

Can someone sum up the discussion until now?

To answer the title. It would be more than cool if he did.

Apparently, Axl has not sent any C&D letter to Trump (as it was expected :D)

And now they are talking about Clapton being racist, lol..... like that'd make OIAM any less racist :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

I think @Blackstar's point was that there was an article where Axl was bashed because of OIAM  (and therefore wasn't worthy of performing with the Stones )but not Eric Clapton who had given a racist speech.

And?

lol

• Thanks 1