The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

On the other hand, if you found Absurd to be great fun and Hard Skool to be a great rocker, then getting these songs after 12 years and also knowing additional songs is in the works, is a very great thing. 

There are so many fans who kind of endure the down time of this band, who slog through the years being frustrated about the lack of new music, but still keep on waiting and hoping, waiting and hoping, waiting and hoping, years after years, that eventually the band will release new music. Give me a cent for every time someone here with confidence has stated the band will never release anything ever again, and I'd buy me a soda. Some of these fans have been so very frustrated, so very close to giving up on the band. I feel tremendously happy for them and the fact that they got two new, original songs from GN'R this year and likely will get more next year. I can't really express how happy I am for them and that they are kind of being rewarded for their patience. 

And I get that some fans are unhappy because they didn't like Absurd (just like some fans were unhappy because they didn't like Better, or Ain't it Fun, or You Could Be Mine) and that some fans are unhappy that it won't be Slash songs that are released but rather reworked (and possible improved) Axl songs. I get it. Any individual songs are not for everybody and some fans have waited too long to now suddenly realize they don't care that much after all. That must be a bitter pill to swallow.

Still, GN'R is releasing music again. And that sentence really ought to be capitalized with a large font size. It is exactly what most fans have wanted for so long. It's great.

Yeah, this is definitely my stance. 

I get the 'too little too late' thing totally (and 2 songs in all these years really is astonishingly poor) but as you say, having slogged through all those years you really do have to see the positives here. 

There are still huge, huge issues of course with the way this band operates compared to every other band in existence but it's been the best period to be a fan in many years for the pure and simple fact that we now have new songs officially released.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah, this is definitely my stance. 

I get the 'too little too late' thing totally (and 2 songs in all these years really is astonishingly poor) but as you say, having slogged through all those years you really do have to see the positives here. 

There are still huge, huge issues of course with the way this band operates compared to every other band in existence but it's been the best period to be a fan in many years for the pure and simple fact that we now have new songs officially released.

There are huge issues. Personally I don't care about the lack of promotion, lack of interviews (I still haven't finished going through 2010 interviews - I don't need need interviews! :lol:) and basically the lack of doing things like normal bands do - I only care about new music. But there are definitely huge issues in regards to releasing new music, and these issues have been plaguing the band since UYIs. I feel that we are walking on an edge here and that at anytime whatever plans the band have (and I am confident they intend to release new music), could be aborted. We know how fickle Axl is and how much of a victim he is to his insecurities, perfectionism and generally a victim to his own psyche. Small things could turn into large things and suddenly there won't be a new release or it is delayed indefinitely. So regardless of my optimism and positivity, we still have to be realistic that it is GN'R we are talking about. Plans can and usually will be changed, delayed and aborted. It's the nature of this beast.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't be happy and cautiously optimistic about the band now explicitly stating they have worked on "lots" of songs and all the signs pointing to new music in 2022, just not get our hopes too high in case things don't happen. After all, we've ben through this lack of song and dance before.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

There are huge issues. Personally I don't care about the lack of promotion, lack of interviews (I still haven't finished going through 2010 interviews - I don't need need interviews! :lol:) and basically the lack of doing things like normal bands do - I only care about new music. But there are definitely huge issues in regards to releasing new music, and these issues have been plaguing the band since UYIs. I feel that we are walking on an edge here and that at anytime whatever plans the band have (and I am confident they intend to release new music), could be aborted. We know how fickle Axl is and how much of a victim he is to his insecurities, perfectionism and generally a victim to his own psyche. Small things could turn into large things and suddenly there won't be a new release or it is delayed indefinitely. So regardless of my optimism and positivity, we still have to be realistic that it is GN'R we are talking about. Plans can and usually will be changed, delayed and aborted. It's the nature of this beast.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't be happy and cautiously optimistic about the band now explicitly stating they have worked on "lots" of songs and all the signs pointing to new music in 2022, just not get our hopes too high in case things don't happen. After all, we've ben through this lack of song and dance before.

100 per cent agree with this. All the lack of promotion, interviews etc is entirely up to them- and only really harms them. If they want to not promote stuff and maximise their opportunity...well, there we go. Seems daft to me but their choice. 

It's all about getting new music out there for me. I suppose I'm a little more pessimistic than you on the idea that we will be getting a new album but I'm less pessimistic than I was before Absurd/HardSkool. It's progress for the first time in all these years. 

• Like 1

I truly was excited to have them finally play a “new song”.  Although I hate Absurd, Hard Skool is a decent track.  I have the other leaks and only thought HS was worthy of releasing.  I hope I’m wrong and that there is some great stuff in the works, but at this point I am not real hopeful.   I was really hoping this reunion and reconnection with Slash and Duff would have really sparked some creative juices.  For Slash to say they have wasted another 5 years and haven’t written anything new pretty much extinguished any hope of new music.  Sure we may get a few CD leftovers, but this news makes me think there isn’t much left in the tank. 

26 minutes ago, yourcrazy said:

I truly was excited to have them finally play a “new song”.  Although I hate Absurd, Hard Skool is a decent track.  I have the other leaks and only thought HS was worthy of releasing.  I hope I’m wrong and that there is some great stuff in the works, but at this point I am not real hopeful.   I was really hoping this reunion and reconnection with Slash and Duff would have really sparked some creative juices.  For Slash to say they have wasted another 5 years and haven’t written anything new pretty much extinguished any hope of new music.  Sure we may get a few CD leftovers, but this news makes me think there isn’t much left in the tank. 

Are you me???! 🤣😁😆 Spot on assessment.

• Haha 1

Why are people so fixated on them not doing a lot of promotion? They're not the Backstreet Boys. A lot of bands I listen to barely promote their music compared to some of the more commercial bands. Not everyone is cut out for going on promo tours and talking to journalists for weeks on end and having to go on stupid Late Night shows just to sell your song. They let management or the record company send out a press release, put their song on YT, mention it on their instagram and facebook, and then go out on tour. Let the music do the talking. In the case of GnR, they're still selling out huge venues, so it's not like they have fallen off the radar.

• GNFNR 1

We'll probably get the album in a year or so, 2 years tops I think. My only hope is that "The General" is on there, that's all that matters to me at this point. State of Grace HAS to be on the album too, I love this song. Everything seems to indicate the tracklist of the next album will be songs from the Chinese Democracy vault. I hope there'll be a deluxe edition with a second disc, with the original instrumental for the songs.

This current situation reminds me a lot of what happened with Bumblefoot & Ashba. They didn't get to create anything with Axl for years. Both Ashba & Bumblefoot made remixes of existing songs, just like Slash has reworked Hard School & Absurd. At least, they finally released those songs officially.

And now Slash is releasing, yet again, his own stuff, just like Ashba & Bumblefoot had their own stuff too. None of these artists can cope with Axl's timing, it's a mutual problem.

I feel Axl needs you to commit 100% to the project, otherwise everything takes forever.

Nobody's really at fault here, they are just different people, struggling to really meet each other & create. It happens.

• ABSUЯD 1

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

Why are people so fixated on them not doing a lot of promotion? They're not the Backstreet Boys. A lot of bands I listen to barely promote their music compared to some of the more commercial bands. Not everyone is cut out for going on promo tours and talking to journalists for weeks on end and having to go on stupid Late Night shows just to sell your song. They let management or the record company send out a press release, put their song on YT, mention it on their instagram and facebook, and then go out on tour. Let the music do the talking. In the case of GnR, they're still selling out huge venues, so it's not like they have fallen off the radar.

It's weird what happens with the band on social media. From the GNR account, which has 6 million followers, Hard Skool post on twitter only had 6,000 likes. Axl has 1 million followers on his personal account, he posts anything and has more than 10,000 likes. Axl made no mention of the new releases on his personal Twitter accounts, NOT EVEN THAT MADE IT so simple. He is not interested in any type of dissemination other than what they do on the band's social networks. on the contrary Duff and Slash shared the releases on their social networks

Edited by dressedtokill

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

The argument of "they let the music do the talking" is laughable. 

If they're such a high road band, then why this their website filled with incredibly overpriced merch? 

Hey now. Be fair. What could possibly say "we're the most dangerous band in the world, and all we care about is our music" more than a $50 toy truck?!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, axlslash said:

Hey now. Be fair. What could possibly say "we're the most dangerous band in the world, and all we care about is our music" more than a $50 toy truck?!

But no one says that. That's a totally different argument. The point that was made is that they obviously don't want to go on the promo-train, so they don't. And good for them.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, axlslash said:

You're right, that's my bad 😂 

Right. They don't want to go on the promo train yet they have no problem trying to sell embarrassingly overpriced merch. Makes total sense....only on a GN'R forum. 

12 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

The argument of "they let the music do the talking" is laughable. 

If they're such a high road band, then why this their website filled with incredibly overpriced merch? 

Legend has it, if you listen to Absurd through the GNR laundry bag whilst simultaneously battering the GNR toy truck off your skull repeatedly... it sounds fucking amazing! 

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 3

Everybody here gotta realize that bands don`t make money from albums and EPs anymore. I guess Guns makes nowadays much more money alone with fashion licenses than with their records. So putting out an album now with no tour to promote in sight makes absolutely no sense at all. Possibly they  intended to have something out for the Australian / NZ tour, so that is why we got these EPs - but then again those marekets are also pretty small. So if something is coming, it would make most sense if it arrives in spring next year....but then again what does ever make sense in the world of Guns? Could also be that they just don`t care at all, as financially an album is irrelevant for them.

To all those people complaining thatwe only got and most likely will get only "old" music reworked by Slash & Duff.....You guys seriously need to consider how long Axl has been working / rewriting / producing these old songs. If you guys wait for an album written from scratch from Axl, Slash and Duff, chances are neither the band nor us will live to listen to it.

In general, I don´t understand what is wrong with working on "old" songs. We have to recognize that there will never be another album like AFD, the band had collectively a magic, unique productive moment in time when they wrote songs for eternity. 

Everything written after 91 by individual members was never able to catch up to this magic. And i think it is an illusion to think that just because three of the original five are back together 30 years later they will be able to. Even if Izzy came back, it wouldn`t happen. So if they got something that has been sitting in the vaults I would love to see them working on it. I don`t think CD was a bad album, and if we get half an album with songs from the CD era with a Slash touch and half an album of Hard Skool songs (that possibly go back to demos from the stone ages...) I don`t mind. 

Edited by God of Thunder
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zeppelin said:

This thread entertains me, as some still think a new album is an actual possibility.

I appreciate the optimism, but the writing is on the wall.

What writing is that? Beta's FB wall where she said Absurd was on the album? Susan's social media saying they are working on an album? Axl's statements regarding him wanting to release more? The release of two new singles? Slash saying they have worked on lots of material? What evidence to people actually have to support this negativity? The fact that the band hasn't released anything in five years? As if five years means anything to GN'R and that it isn't entirely normal for them to spend an inordinate amount of time on absolutely everything? :lol:

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

What evidence to people actually have to support this negativity? 

There's been no album since 2008. There's been one album of original material since 1991. Slash/Duff have back been in the band for 5 years now and they have managed to release re-recordings of 2 old songs previously circulated amongst fans. Slash recently said the band have not seriously sat down and tried to write any new music in this entire time. Slash will have released 2 solo albums come February 2022 in the time he has been back in the band. Duff and Dizzy will both have released a solo album each in that same timeframe. Angus Young said of Axl in 2021 interview: "He's involved in a lot of stuff. I don’t even know if you would say it was music. But he had a lot of things that he was involved in.” There ya go pal. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

But no one says that. That's a totally different argument. The point that was made is that they obviously don't want to go on the promo-train, so they don't. And good for them.

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

You're right, that's my bad 😂 

Right. They don't want to go on the promo train yet they have no problem trying to sell embarrassingly overpriced merch. Makes total sense....only on a GN'R forum. 

Nope. No promo train. They didn't make a toy train. It's a truck. ALL ABOARD THE PROMO TRUCK!!

• Haha 1

Just now, axlslash said:

Nope. No promo train. They didn't make a toy train. It's a truck. ALL ABOARD THE PROMO TRUCK!!

Hey... you made me accidentally read his comment this way. Haha. Is he still reacting to my posts even though I have him on ignore for ages now? Oh my, I'm honored!

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

What writing is that? Beta's FB wall where she said Absurd was on the album? Susan's social media saying they are working on an album? Axl's statements regarding him wanting to release more? The release of two new singles? Slash saying they have worked on lots of material? What evidence to people actually have to support this negativity? The fact that the band hasn't released anything in five years? As if five years means anything to GN'R and that it isn't entirely normal for them to spend an inordinate amount of time on absolutely everything? :lol:

Do people believe anything Beta says? Susan's social media is fine and all, but does it mean anything concrete at all? I don't doubt that Axl wants to release more leftover songs, since he's worked on those for years and years. Them coming out piecemeal is really the evidence of this. 'Oh My God' came out how long ago now? 21 years ago? I don't even remember now. An album didn't follow that at all. Unless we're really going to say CD followed that 8 years later. Then we can say a new album may come in 2029? Sometimes smoke doesn't always mean a fire. Sometimes it's just smoke.

All the evidence is in how Slash talks about SMKC. It's an album, it gets a single, it's coming out later. That's how it works. I know GNR is put into this weird continuum where they're somehow allowed to operate in this fantastical way. But the reality is that if an album were close at all, the two singles would've pointed us there. And I'm tired of hearing about the pandemic somehow delaying things, when plenty of artists find ways to release vast swaths of material. The old saying still rings true: "Where there's a will, there's a way." There's no will here. You'd know if it was there. It's just not.

Edited by Zeppelin
  • Like 2