The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

2 hours ago, Pele said:

In the time Rose has had since Chinese and now:

John Lennon formed The Blackjacks, changed their name to The Quarrymen, sacked Pete Best and Stuart Sutcliffe and appointed Ringo Starr, formed The Beatles,

They released the following albums:

• Please Please Me,
  • With The Beatles,
  • Hard Day's Night,
  • Beatles For Sale,
  • Help,
  • Rubber Soul,
  • Revolver,
  • Sgt Peppers,
  • Magical Mystery Tour,
  • The White Album,
  • Yellow Submarine,
  • Abbey Rd,
  • Let it Be

They starred in the following films:

• Help
  • Hard Days Night
  • Magical Mystery Tour (voices)

Then they split up

• Lennon released the album Plastic Ono Band,
  • McCartney released the album McCartney
  • McCartney then released the album Ram
  • McCartney then formed Wings and released the album WildLife
  • Harrison released All Things Must Pass,
  • Starr released the album Sentimental Journey 
  • Starr then released the album Beaucoup Blues

All in the time Rose released Chinese until now.  

Likely less said about Wild Life the better but yes I get your point! In the same amount of time that passed since ChiDem was released and now... Adolf Hitler and the Nazis came to power, hosted the Olympics, declared war, murdered a lot of people, destroyed Europe, and had their arses handed to them on a plate! That's a fuck load more killing than that ginger fucker has done singing! 

Joking aside, me and pals were chatting about overrated bands the other day. The Stone Roses came up as a strong contendeder with only 2 albums, and a bunch of singles to their name. Many people don't even like their second album either (PS I do!) But GNR was the unanimous pick. So much potential, but the output really doesn't match the potential. When I started talking about the Frankenstein method of recording they employ now, everybody was really impressed and wanted to know why more bands don't employ this method. NOT! 

I would subscribe to the motion that as a recording and creative artist, Axl Rose is done. Caveat: happy to be proven wrong but it's looking improbable now. Few artists have a creative spike and release their best work in their 60s. He's the same age as my Mother and his comeback song had a line: "a pussy full maggots". That's the reality.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Likely less said about Wild Life the better but yes I get your point! In the same amount of time that passed since ChiDem was released and now... Adolf Hitler and the Nazis came to power, hosted the Olympics, declared war, murdered a lot of people, destroyed Europe, and had their arses handed to them on a plate! That's a fuck load more killing than that ginger fucker has done singing! 

Joking aside, me and pals were chatting about overrated bands the other day. The Stone Roses came up as a strong contendeder with only 2 albums, and a bunch of singles to their name. Many people don't even like their second album either (PS I do!) But GNR was the unanimous pick. So much potential, but the output really doesn't match the potential. When I started talking about the Frankenstein method of recording they employ now, everybody was really impressed and wanted to know why more bands don't employ this method. NOT! 

I would subscribe to the motion that as a recording and creative artist, Axl Rose is done. Caveat: happy to be proven wrong but it's looking improbable now. Few artists have a creative spike and release their best work in their 60s. He's the same age as my Mother and his comeback song had a line: "a pussy full maggots". That's the reality.

He's 100% done, and was done by the time he was 40.

The utter bullshit people peddle about him being a 'perfectionist' is just wrong IMO.  In about 30 years and counting, he's managed to scrape enough lyrics together (and put them over other peoples music) for about 15 full songs, and a lot of those songs are dreadful.

He can't/wont do anymore, and he was told his batch of songs weren't strong enough, so he just had people obsessively re-record/re-edit those same songs - and he is still doing it to this day.

There is a reason why the last 3 GNR releases were as follows:

• Shadow of Your Love (written and vocals from 80s)
  • Silkworms (written and vocals from 90s)
  • HardSkool (written and vocals from 90s)

4 minutes ago, Pele said:

The utter bullshit people peddle about him being a 'perfectionist' is just wrong IMO.  In about 30 years and counting, he's managed to scrape enough lyrics together (and put them over other peoples music) for about 15 full songs [...]

Productivity has nothing to do with perfectionism. In fact, I think an argument can be made that if you obsess too much, productivity drops.

29 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Productivity has nothing to do with perfectionism. In fact, I think an argument can be made that if you obsess too much, productivity drops.

Yup, 100%. Case in point... Neil Young and Bob Dylan. Imperfectionists, but highly productive.

And I am not arguing that Axl is a perfectionist. That's a difficult term to apply to anyone. I think Axl can spend an inordinate amount of time on getting some aspects of his music just like he wants it, and it might not make much sense to us, while other parts seems to be not that important to him. Take November Rain which was very important to him while a song like Shotgun Blues likely wasn't. But what is always important to him, I believe, is the totality of the music and its direction, and that the end result fits with whatever vision Axl has. Not that every line is a poetic masterstroke. 

36 minutes ago, Pele said:

He's 100% done, and was done by the time he was 40.

The utter bullshit people peddle about him being a 'perfectionist' is just wrong IMO.  

Yes it could come from a deep insecurity and fear. Once the fear level reaches a certain point, it will prohibit a lot of things. 

People will correctly point out that nu-Guns was a bunch of collectively technically sound musicians. But realistically none of them apart from Stinson and Buckethead had a track record as a songwriter (and Bucket's output is more technical guitar wizardry than songwriting per se... not to diminish his ability at all). From what I've heard of the Village Leaks there are a lot of cool instrumental sections, but nothing that really hangs together as a song. Once you have 10 different people contributing over 10 different years, the genesis of the original idea is pretty much lost. 

That approach also clearly suggested that he potentially lost his muse as a solo writer. Always worth remembering he contribute a lot to the Illusions.

11 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Yes it could come from a deep insecurity and fear. Once the fear level reaches a certain point, it will prohibit a lot of things. 

People will correctly point out that nu-Guns was a bunch of collectively technically sound musicians. But realistically none of them apart from Stinson and Buckethead had a track record as a songwriter (and Bucket's output is more technical guitar wizardry than songwriting per se... not to diminish his ability at all). From what I've heard of the Village Leaks there are a lot of cool instrumental sections, but nothing that really hangs together as a song. Once you have 10 different people contributing over 10 different years, the genesis of the original idea is pretty much lost. 

Just a few comments. DJ was actually an accomplished songwriter, too :D

And I disagree with you re: the Village leaks, I think there are lots of great songs there that "just" need vocals. It is entirely subjective though, so neither is wrong or right here.

Lastly, the Village leaks wasn't comprised of 10 year old songs, the songs were just a few years old at that point.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 3:07 AM, Bitchisback said:

Imagine the first GnR album with Slash in almost 30 years and Melissa is doing vocals on 25% of the album lmao 🤣🤣🤣

I think people are onto the plan.  Starting with the next leg of the tour, Melissa is taking over as lead singer.  Axl will spend the show pounding beers and playing the bongos with Dizzy.  He'll come out front and center to trigger the train horn before Nightrain and then he will blow the whistle for PC.

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

2 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

That approach also clearly suggested that he potentially lost his muse as a solo writer. Always worth remembering he contribute a lot to the Illusions.

There is a psychological phenomenon of negative reinforcement that could be at play.  Let's say somebody has a fear of going outside.  They will say they want to go outside and get ready to go outside but then at the last second say they are staying inside.  When they do this, they feel really good that they stayed inside.  This provides the reinforcement to not go outside because staying inside feels so good.

This could be the case with Axl and releasing music.  

• Like 1

I'm devastated. But well, it's only music: life continues.

So, the only unreleased songs are Atlas Shrugged, ThymePerhaps and The General.

Not sure about Soul Monster, Seven, Oklahoma, Going Down and State Of Grace, really.

And Oh My God was released. Same goes for Absurd and Hard Skool.

-

Four or five songs are not enough for a new album.

In 2006, were a total of 26 SONGS like Rose has said in that interview. 14 + these 12 songs = 26.

-

Vocals recorded back in 1998.

1 - "Madagascar" - 1998
 2 - "Prostitute" - 1998

Vocals recorded back in 1999.

3 - "Oh My God" - 1999
 4 - "Chinese Democracy" - 1999
 5 - "Street Of Dreams" - 1999
 6 - "If The World" - 1999
 7 - "There Was a Time" - 1999
 8 - "Catcher In The Rye" - 1999
 9 - "Riad N' The Bedouins" - 1999
10 - "I.R.S." - 1999
11 - "This I Love" - 1999

12 - "Atlas Shrugged" - 1999
13 - "Perhaps" - 1999
14 - "Silkworms" - 1999
15 - "State Of Grace" - 1999
16 - "Hard School" - 1999
17 - "Sorry" - 1999
18 - "Shackler's Revenge" - 1999
19 - "Scraped" - 1999

20 - "Oklahoma" - 1999 [UNSURE]
21 - "Thyme" - 1999 - meant as an instrumental song

Vocals recorded in late 2002 or early 2003.

22 - "Going Down" - 2003
23 - "Better" - 2003
24 - "The General" - 2003
25 - "Soul Monster" - 2003 [UNSURE]
26 - "Seven" - 2003 [UNSURE]

-

26 songs for the "double album". Two albums of 13 tracks (quoted by Rose himself).

For the first time, I really can't see a brand new album for this band.

-

It's done, folks.

Edited by CubanSkies Dummy
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, CubanSkies Dummy said:

Not sure about Soul Monster, Seven, Oklahoma, Going Down and State Of Grace, really.

-

In 2006, were a total of 26 SONGS like Rose has said in that interview. 14 + these 12 songs = 26.

-

1 - "Madagascar" - 1998
 2 - "Prostitute" - 1998

3 - "Oh My God" - 1999
10 - "I.R.S." - 1999

13 - "Perhaps" - 1999
14 - "Silkworms" - 1999
17 - "Sorry" - 1999
19 - "Scraped" - 1999

22 - "Going Down" - 2003
23 - "Better" - 2003

-

26 songs for the "double album". Two albums of 13 tracks (quoted by Rose himself).

-

It's done, folks.

I think this is the most accurate list you've come up with!

Delete 20, 21 25 and 26 and I think that's a complete anthology of full, original songs Rose has recorded vocals for - which will be backed up by the releases that Slash says are imminent.

Also - State of Grace is unfinished IMO.

Edited by Pele

For what it's worth, I believe the following is the most accurate:

Completed Songs

1. Madagascar
  2. Prostitute
  3. Oh My God
  4. Chinese Democracy
  5. Street Of Dreams
  6. If The World
  7. There Was a Time
  8. Catcher In The Rye
  9. Riad N' The Bedouins
  10. I.R.S.
  11. This I Love
  12. Atlas Shrugged
  13. Perhaps
  14. Silkworms
  15. Hard School
  16. Sorry
  17. Shackler's Revenge
  18. Scraped
  19. Better
  20. The General
  21. Going Down

Incomplete vocals

1. Nothing
  2. Quick Song
  3. Eye on You
  4. State of Grace

Songs Rose intended to complete and may have done some work on

1. Tonto
  2. Monstrosity (aka Elvis, Soul Monster)
  3. Oklahoma
  4. Zodiac
  5. Cuban Skies
  6. Thyme

Bookmark it

Print it out and hang it up in your office

Watch what happens as they finally reveal "the songs Axl has" as said by Slash

Just now, Sweersa said:

I can tell you Monstrocity and Soul Monster are different songs 100%.

I seriously doubt either of them had any lyrics recorded.

And I don't believe you can say that 100%, as I don't believe you (or anyone you know) has heard either song with vocals.

18 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I do not believe these songs had vocals recorded in 1999. The same goes for the version of This I Love we heard on the album.

Yeah, why would anyone think Shacklers had vocals already back in 1999? It's a Buckethead song and he joined around Christmas of 1999. A very early version of the song existed on the Village leaks from 1-2 years later, but nowhere near a state where Axl would record vocals for it. 

It seems that Axl would be more content recording musical scores than laying down vocals (we know that he was keen on this). At this point I don’t believe there is that much vocal material that is up to standard. However, there’s probably a bunch of instrumentals in varying stages of development. I think most if not all the key material that has been highlighted with the intent of being GNR material is still in development, at least in Axl’s mind. Though I doubt if they will ever be completed. 

20 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah, why would anyone think Shacklers had vocals already back in 1999? It's a Buckethead song and he joined around Christmas of 1999. A very early version of the song existed on the Village leaks from 1-2 years later, but nowhere near a state where Axl would record vocals for it. 

Because about 17 years ago, he recorded vocals for a few extra tracks to complete the album.

Him recording Shacklers Revenge about 17 years ago does not maker the possibility of Soulmonster/Zodiac/Tonto and whatever else more real.,

Him needing two new singles, and releasing Silkworms and HardSchool paints a picture of what's going on.  If the next release id Perhaps/Atlas - only an idiot would STILL cling on to the belief that this guy recorded different songs.

As per Slash's interview - we are about to find out, as they are gonna release the songs Axl had.

Just now, smokingarthur said:

It seems that Axl would be more content recording musical scores than laying down vocals (we know that he was keen on this). At this point I don’t believe there is that much vocal material that is up to standard. However, there’s probably a bunch of instrumentals in varying stages of development. I think most if not all the key material that has been highlighted with the intent of being GNR material is still in development, at least in Axl’s mind. Though I doubt if they will ever be completed. 

I think the closest he came to a musical score was the 90 seconds of keyboard music that was Thyme.

1 hour ago, CubanSkies Dummy said:

-

-

1 - "Madagascar" - 1998
 2 - "Prostitute" - 1998

3 - "Oh My God" - 1999
10 - "I.R.S." - 1999

13 - "Perhaps" - 1999
14 - "Silkworms" - 1999
17 - "Sorry" - 1999
19 - "Scraped" - 1999

22 - "Going Down" - 2003
23 - "Better" - 2003

-

-

It's done, folks.

Is this a joke, or fact?  if fact, how do you know?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Pele said:

Because about 17 years ago, he recorded vocals for a few extra tracks to complete the album.

I am talking about the claim that Shacklers vocals were recorded in 1999. 

3 minutes ago, fabrph5 said:

Is this a joke, or fact?  

It is neither.