The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

7 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Didn’t Slash say new GNR music was coming “as we speak” like 3 weeks ago? 

He was referring to the “Deer Creek” release. That’s why he refrained from saying “new album” or “new songs” or even saying “brand new”. Trust me, he’s familiar with those words and I’m pretty sure he knows the difference.

9 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

He was referring to the “Deer Creek” release. That’s why he refrained from saying “new album” or “new songs” or even saying “brand new”. Trust me, he’s familiar with those words and I’m pretty sure he knows the difference.

This is not a release by GnR. Slash probably didn't even know about it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

He may or may not have been referring to the Hardschool EP. The interviewer was kind of giving him a hard time, he kept trying to evade the new music question and the guy asked like six follow ups. I don't expect any new singles until June when the tour starts.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

He may or may not have been referring to the Hardschool EP. The interviewer was kind of giving him a hard time, he kept trying to evade the new music question and the guy asked like six follow ups. I don't expect any new singles until June when the tour starts.

Yeah that sounds about right. 😖

3 hours ago, AlterL said:

Nahh, he gets to release his own music with his own band on his own terms, and while he's essential to GN'R's old albums I don't get the feeling that it was ever his band, just the biggest band that he was a part of, so maybe that's why he's so content with the situation, he gets to do the type of music that he likes without having to answer to nobody like he used to with GN'R plus he gets to do all of this huge shows and make money just by playing some songs that he didn't wrote. Plus is not like he's gonna risk losing the gig over a petty fight with Axl when he can just channel his creativity and energy somewhere else, they're not kids anymore. 

Slash’s solo is not comparable with the magnitude of GN’R in any thinkable way. And yes, it was definitely his band, I mean jeez, he was one of the most important pillars since day one. I don’t see it the same way as many people seem to, i.e. it’s still “only Axl’s band”. This ended in 2015. Slash doesn’t need to take any crap, and I believe they truly are on amicable terms including respect, i.e. making compromises etc., not the “Axl’s the Ayatollah” version any longer. Axl now needs Slash more than Slash needs Axl. No need to be in a disadvantageous relationship for Slash (or either of them), not even for money. I know they make zillions now, but they never came off as money-driven people. Nope, there must be something real going on. 

1 hour ago, 19AT5 said:

Not to dampen your positivity one bit, but there is equally the same possibility of another Absurd! 😫😫 Hard Skool (in my opinion) is a decent enough track, but is it worth a 14 year wait or whatever it was... jury out on that for me. It's fine enough I guess but like so many other people have pointed out... piss poor production lets it down. 

It's been discussed to death, but for some folk it will be a case of too little late from GNR. 

Personally I don't see too much to get excited about with GNR these days. It is what it is. 

More likely there will be another song on par with Hard Skool than the rest of the album being similar to Absurd. So going back to the original question: I find it quite likely I will be positively surprised. 

And obviously, I am not let down by the production nor do I think the long period reduces the quality of the new music or make it less of a positive surprise. 

3 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I used to think like that, but not anymore. It sucks hard, but how much more evidence do you need to face the ugly truth? Slash himself just confirmed that nothing new was written.  Nothing. Since 2016. Then you have the release of Absurd and Hardskool with those old ass vocals, half assed production and shitty merch. No interviews, no nothing which would even try to make this seem like a real band. All we're gonna get is Chinese leftovers and bad lyric videos. Slash basically said it himself.

It's just a gig, you know.

Oh I’m quite a realist, don’t get me wrong. I know Slash said that, although he was kinda evasive (as usual), and I can imagine they’ve secretly composed something new, even if just one or two songs. But yeah, wishful thinking probably. 
As for the HS/Absurd sound, I’m still expecting the physical release to be way better. It cannot have the same shitty youtube quality when it’s finally out, can it? 
In general, I do agree it doesn’t look great at all, which sucks. 

Yes, when we're talking about the past in particular and if we know the history of the band, it's very wrong to say that GnR was just a big band Slash was in and it wasn't his band. He was very invested, handled the day to day business and it was his life as much as it was Axl's.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jamillos said:

I still don’t believe that even if Axl would be fine with just releasing old stuff like the two singles, Slash would be content merely with that. I refuse to believe he returned to the band only for the buck and doesn’t care about the legacy at all. Hell, he could pay off his alimony even without the millions from GN’R. And above all – he’s the kind of guy who wants to see results, i.e. his own music. Thinking he’d be satisfied just with playing some replacements’ 20-year old demos on a new, highly anticipated album of his own lifetime signature band is deluded. There’s bound to be something else cooking than just rehashed CD shelf material a la Silkworms and Hard School. 

I don't think the legacy of the band is hurt at all by some of the past band members coming together at this late stage to tour the world - something so many fans have dreamt of for so long. That they decide to collaborate on CD material also doesn't affect the legacy. Hopefully it will be good and we fans can enjoy a larger discography. 

1 hour ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

We have no idea how much money Slash actually has, and he's going to want to maintain his current lifestyle and not downgrade due to the millions he has to give Perla. He is at the age where money becomes more important than legacy, we are talking hundreds of millions of dollars from the NITL tour. He is not going to turn down that kind of cash because Axl doesn't write music anymore. And he has an outlet for his riffs in SMKC.

You sound like the users before the reunion who said Slash would never accept TB managing the band or would insist on a full reunion lineup without any of the NuGuns guys. There has been no indication whatsoever that Axl has written anything new in 15 years, and now Slash has come out and confirmed there is nothing new plain as day. It is you who is deluded by your own wishful thinking.

Agree, but he already is a multimillionaire, and I just refuse to believe dough is all he’s in it for. If anything, he’s already set for a few lives now. 
As for Axl’s writing – we don’t know. What was he doing during those downtimes in 2018, 2019, entire 2020, 2021? He may have been writing. Then again, he already has heaps of material, so yeah, it’s not like he’s pressed or anything. 
Yeah, wishful thinking indeed, but there’s at least some logic behind it. Besides, all these interviews are always very evasive, and nothing is set in stone. But yes, the money side is really too apparent. They’ve been a No. 1 band in a wasting opportunity challenge ever since the beginning of 2018. That’s where the all new exciting chapter should have started, including multiple releases, interviews, dvds... 
One dares to dream...

11 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't think the legacy of the band is hurt at all by some of the past band members coming together at this late stage to tour the world - something so many fans have dreamt of for so long. That they decide to collaborate on CD material also doesn't affect the legacy. Hopefully it will be good and we fans can enjoy a larger discography. 

No but it would suck for many fans once they’d realize all they’ve got is Axl’s 2000s demos conceived in the period when Slash and Duff even weren’t in the band. It can still rock, sure, but as I keep saying: for this reunion to have some real gravity, there needs to be at least a few songs created by these main figures together, like in the heydays. Otherwise, I’m afraid, many may not take it very seriously. 
And I believe the boys are aware of this fact. Again, if they still got it, there’s no reason why they should solely rely on some demos from the past without even trying doing something together. Like I’ve said above, I believe that if no one else, Slash will want to come up with something new. At least I friggin’ hope so. 

17 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

How is this not an actual answer when asked to confirm that a new album will come:

"Yeah! There’s new Guns material coming out as we speak, and we’ll probably keep putting it out until the entire record’s worth of stuff is done and then put it out solid"? 

Because nothing is going to come.

So in a few months time, we'll likely all presume the 'material coming out as we speak' was in fact Absurd and HardSkool, and we'll be analysing Slash's words in the next interview trying to understand where the next songs are.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I am not in for a big disappointment, so don't speak for me. Hard Skool is great. More on that caliber and it will be killer. 

You're in for a huge disappointment if Atlas and Perhaps come out next, exactly as I predict.

You'll say over and over again that you don't care but nobody is more emotionally involved in responding to my every post than you.

That's absolutely fine, you're never abusive and I appreciate the discussion - but let's not pretend you're not invested in this.

It would be like me feigning disinterest if Zodiac with vocals comes out next.

If that happens - I owe everyone an apology and a full and frank acknowledgement that I was completely wrong.

However, I suspect they'll (eventually) release the 3 songs I said they would and we'll never hear another note recorded by the singer - and you'll still believe this guy records.

1 hour ago, sofine11 said:

Yes.  I suspect he meant Silkworms and HardSkool

2 minutes ago, Pele said:

You're in for a huge disappointment if Atlas and Perhaps come out next, exactly as I predict.

You'll say over and over again that you don't care but nobody is more emotionally involved in responding to my every post than you.

That's absolutely fine, you're never abusive and I appreciate the discussion - but let's not pretend you're not invested in this.

It would be like me feigning disinterest if Zodiac with vocals comes out next.

If that happens - I owe everyone an apology and a full and frank acknowledgement that I was completely wrong.

However, I suspect they'll (eventually) release the 3 songs I said they would and we'll never hear another note recorded by the singer - and you'll still believe this guy records.

I would love to hear a finished Atlas, wont disappoint me at all

34 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

More likely there will be another song on par with Hard Skool than the rest of the album being similar to Absurd. So going back to the original question: I find it quite likely I will be positively surprised. 

And obviously, I am not let down by the production nor do I think the long period reduces the quality of the new music or make it less of a positive surprise. 

Will you be positively surprised if/when it's Perhaps or Atlas Shrugged?

27 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Agree, but he already is a multimillionaire, and I just refuse to believe dough is all he’s in it for. If anything, he’s already set for a few lives now. 
As for Axl’s writing – we don’t know. What was he doing during those downtimes in 2018, 2019, entire 2020, 2021? He may have been writing. Then again, he already has heaps of material, so yeah, it’s not like he’s pressed or anything. 
Yeah, wishful thinking indeed, but there’s at least some logic behind it. Besides, all these interviews are always very evasive, and nothing is set in stone. But yes, the money side is really too apparent. They’ve been a No. 1 band in a wasting opportunity challenge ever since the beginning of 2018. That’s where the all new exciting chapter should have started, including multiple releases, interviews, dvds... 
One dares to dream...

If you think this guy has 'heaps of material,' you're crazy IMO

I think he has 3 usable songs left (and we already have 2 of them)

10 minutes ago, fabrph5 said:

I would love to hear a finished Atlas, wont disappoint me at all

Yeah - but what if all you ever hear from this are a re-done Atlas and a re-done Perhaps.

That would be disappointing wouldn't it?

9 minutes ago, Pele said:

If you think this guy has 'heaps of material,' you're crazy IMO

I think he has 3 usable songs left (and we already have 2 of them)

I already know that old daily routine of yours, so I suppose it’s useless to point out that CD was meant to have a sequel, which was reportedly ready several years after the release. That makes another 12–14 songs, so at least this we know. 
Even if it was just the songs from the Village sessions, that's still a lot of material that they’d currently only have to rehash the same way they did with Silkworms and HS. So whatever the result will be, we know there’s at least one more record worth of unreleased tracks. 

4 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I already know that old daily routine of yours, so I suppose it’s useless to point out that CD was meant to have a sequel, which was reportedly ready several years after the release. That makes another 12–14 songs, so at least this we know. 
Even if it was just the songs from the Village sessions, that's still a lot of material that they’d currently only have to rehash the same way they did with Silkworms and HS. So whatever the result will be, we know there’s at least one more record worth of unreleased tracks. 

Of course the intention was to finish more songs, complete the remaining instrumentals and release follow up albums.

If you genuinely think that songs like Monstrosity, Cuban Skies, Zodiac, Elvis, Seven, Leave Me Alone, PRL, Thyme, Rebel etc were actually finished and recorded then you're in for a disappointment when they release the songs that Slash said Axl has lying around.

Here's a clue - it's not those (IMO)

18 minutes ago, Pele said:

Of course the intention was to finish more songs, complete the remaining instrumentals and release follow up albums.

If you genuinely think that songs like Monstrosity, Cuban Skies, Zodiac, Elvis, Seven, Leave Me Alone, PRL, Thyme, Rebel etc were actually finished and recorded then you're in for a disappointment when they release the songs that Slash said Axl has lying around.

Here's a clue - it's not those (IMO)

As usual, as pointless as it is, I can just once again repeat the same stuff: they used some 14 studios for recording of CD. Surely they didn’t create completely new music in all of them, but on the other hand, it’s unreasonable to presume they used them all only for tinkering with the existing 14 CD songs. That’s just nonsense. And considering Axl had loads of time in 2003–2005 and some more later, there’s no reason to insist that he wrote/finished/revamped nothing at all during these periods. There’s zero evidence of that. On the contrary – we do know the sequel was getting ready. 
Anyway, the best way to hear all these tracks would be in the original version as a box set or if they leaked. Which is not gonna happen, we’ll probably hear them the same way as HS/SW. 
And even if Axl didn't get to finish them back then – what would be stopping him from having finished them in the recent years during all those downtimes? Nothing, that’s what. 
Anyway, there's definitely material. The thing is, I want something new as well, that's the point. 

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

Anyway, the best way to hear all these tracks would be in the original version as a box set or if they leaked. Which is not gonna happen

I apologize for cherry-picking a part of your post.  I hate it when done to me, and, I usually find it obnoxious, but, I'm doing it now because the rest of it was the usual Pele-related drivel and, really, only this part stood out to me.

To the above, I say, well, why not?  We would've said the same three years ago before the Village leaks.  Sure, the probability is fairly low, but, not outside the realm of possibility.