The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

4 hours ago, Billy Cundy said:

Every year, they turn a profit touring without a new album to promote. Releasing new music is no longer a worthwhile strategy, financially. They continue to prove that as they pack arenas/stadiums. At this point, it’s good business to not release any music, and just stay on the treadmill. It avoids extra work (work that would have little financial reward in todays streaming model) and things remain civil between the guys (songwriting leads to arguments > arguments lead to break ups > break ups lead to not making money by the boatload).

the only people who really care are nerds like us, and we are a fraction of the listener base. There’s some grumbling in the larger ‘rock fan’ sphere, demonstrated by Eddie Trunk..

But what’s a 60 year old man with nothing to prove going to listen to? The ranting and ravings of a bunch of forum nerds and cork sniffing rock nerds… or the accountant handing him his $big stinking fuck off cheque$… 

almost can’t blame them. 

Whats money got to do it with it? They're rich enough to live 10 more lifetimes over at the top. They don't need to release a cd to make money, but for personal satisfaction, artistic integrity and for the fans that put them where they are. 

People can argue that they dont 'have' to do any of those things - but duff is releasing solo music and guesting on others albums, slash is releasing albums in SMKC, frank is releasing in a punk band. Melissa is constantly working with people on new material. Axl told us he had 3 albums of material to release in 2006. 17 years ago. They re recorded chi dem songs in 2020. thats nearly 3 years ago. So all evidence suggest they do want to release new music. MAKE IT MAKE SENSE

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Whats money got to do it with it? They're rich enough to live 10 more lifetimes over at the top. They don't need to release a cd to make money, but for personal satisfaction, artistic integrity and for the fans that put them where they are. 

People can argue that they dont 'have' to do any of those things - but duff is releasing solo music and guesting on others albums, slash is releasing albums in SMKC, frank is releasing in a punk band. Melissa is constantly working with people on new material. Axl told us he had 3 albums of material to release in 2006. 17 years ago. They re recorded chi dem songs in 2020. thats nearly 3 years ago. So all evidence suggest they do want to release new music. MAKE IT MAKE SENSE

Agree totally......but GNR have made it very clear their motivation is money. So when you filter everything through that mindset, it does make sense that they wouldn't be bothered with new music. 

I think sometimes we forget that. It's all just about money. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

Agree totally......but GNR have made it very clear their motivation is money. So when you filter everything through that mindset, it does make sense that they wouldn't be bothered with new music. 

True. And it’s clear other than occasional arsing around in the studio, the last time Axl was motivated to lay down a records worth of vocals he was in his late 30s. That sure ain’t nothing. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Still, it's not like releasing new music would make the tour less profitable. If they opt for digital release only, it's possible that they wouldn't lose any money with it too. Marketing strategy is non existent already. 

I agree with @JimiRose on this, this has nothing to do with money anymore. It's all about Axl's lack of confidence and/or anxiety. I bet he still thinks he could make a big comeback to get the band relevant again with the "right" release (which surely wouldn't happen anyways).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Still, it's not like releasing new music would make the tour less profitable. If they opt for digital release only, it's possible that they wouldn't lose any money with it too. Marketing strategy is non existent already. 

I agree with @JimiRose on this, this has nothing to do with money anymore. It's all about Axl's lack of confidence and/or anxiety. I bet he still thinks he could make a big comeback to get the band relevant again with the "right" release (which surely wouldn't happen anyways).

I think there's something in the 'why rock the boat' argument. Without a financial incentive, why would they risk doing something they could potentially disagree on? 

I don't think they'd lose money on an album- they'd almost certainly make money,but not as much as they like to and it's time and effort spent on something they don't need to do, clearly. 

The easiest and most profitable thing to do is have a working relationship where you all turn up at the right time, the right place, play the old songs in the same order and make a load of money, then leave in opposite directions. If money is your driving force then..... it's what you're going to do. 

I think that's where GNR are at now. 

Edit: I'm not in any way agreeing with this way of operating, I think it's very sad, just putting across a viewpoint we probably haven't considered so much. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I think there's something in the 'why rock the boat' argument. Without a financial incentive, why would they risk doing something they could potentially disagree on? 

I don't think they'd lose money on an album- they'd almost certainly make money,but not as much as they like to and it's time and effort spent on something they don't need to do, clearly. 

The easiest and most profitable thing to do is have a working relationship where you all turn up at the right time, the right place, play the old songs in the same order and make a load of money, then leave in opposite directions. If money is your driving force then..... it's what you're going to do. 

I think that's where GNR are at now. 

Edit: I'm not in any way agreeing with this way of operating, I think it's very sad, just putting across a viewpoint we probably haven't considered so much. 

I think this all apply to the constant touring, so yeah, I agree. Regarding a new album or even just some new tracks, I disagree. 

But I guess you're right about this too: they could potentially disagree on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

People are missing my point..

yes they’re already very wealthy.. but wealthy people don’t just ‘stop’ when they pass this ‘rich guy’ threshold, they keep going. If anything, they get MORE business minded. Duff is an economics major for Christ sake. 

They have lavish lifestyles to uphold. Slash’ divorce bill is probably eye watering. Axl is supporting an entire Brazilian bloodline. 

it’s not so much they need the money, but the risk of falling out over ‘creative differences’, which, let’s face it, Might as well be the title of the GNR biopic, would mean the NITL money machine is jeopardised. 

Don’t be naive. It’s a business. They have an enormous crew of techs, roadies and staff who have families to support, the same crew that lost out on 2 years of income due to Covid. No one is rushing them to get back in the studio and risk that. It’s a huge business. 

• Like 1

The 15 million or whatever it was spent on the 2008 album also yielded an additional album (at least) of material. Had CD2 dropped in 2009, 2010, 2011 or 2012 or whatever, it would have helped recoup or better with that money invested. Now, who knows since I'm sure re-recording a lot of the existing (probably superior) guitars and re-mixing them to sound bad will cost a decent chunk of change too. 

As per usual with GN'R, a day late and a dollar short.

34 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

Don’t be naive. It’s a business. They have an enormous crew of techs, roadies and staff who have families to support, the same crew that lost out on 2 years of income due to Covid. No one is rushing them to get back in the studio and risk that. It’s a huge business. 

Again, a new album or studio work wouldn't risk any of that. I don't know where this conception came from, but there's no great risk surrounding this - especially considering the fact that Slash, Duff and Axl already released new songs and they all made it pretty clear that there's already stuff recorded. Those songs are not that complex either, the mix and mastering wouldn't need that much time and effort beyond the normality. 

Realistically, the work and focus in any creative product even from GNR is not a huge deal. Axl recorded those songs decades ago, Slash and Duff already recorded their parts. The band already has a deal between them for new releases. I honestly think there's no risk involved, even if it flops as Absurd (and Hard Skool I guess?) did. 

I understand its all about business, but other contemporary bands still manage to make financial sense of it. Seems like there's something else holding them back, and my bet is all about Axl's intention, whatever that means.

40 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Again, a new album or studio work wouldn't risk any of that. I don't know where this conception came from, but there's no great risk surrounding this - especially considering the fact that Slash, Duff and Axl already released new songs and they all made it pretty clear that there's already stuff recorded. Those songs are not that complex either, the mix and mastering wouldn't need that much time and effort beyond the normality. 

Realistically, the work and focus in any creative product even from GNR is not a huge deal. Axl recorded those songs decades ago, Slash and Duff already recorded their parts. The band already has a deal between them for new releases. I honestly think there's no risk involved, even if it flops as Absurd (and Hard Skool I guess?) did. 

I understand its all about business, but other contemporary bands still manage to make financial sense of it. Seems like there's something else holding them back, and my bet is all about Axl's intention, whatever that means.

I think that if Axl didn't care or it was all about the money, he would have released more than Absurd and HS by now.

at first Slash said they've worked on "a lot" of tunes, now he says he can't remember, but Axl could have released at least a 6 songs ep by now. He's not talking, so there's no way of knowing, but my guess is that Axl more or less knows which songs he wants to release, that doesn't change much I don't think. He worked on the same material for years and updated it multiple times. I think the way he wants to release that material is a different story, just going by the difference in what Slash said at first about what they've worked on from a while ago to recently.

might be even something crazy like releasing just 4 Chinese era tunes and then using the rest as a part of a full album which seems like a best case scenario or just releasing a few old Chinese tunes and be done with it, but I don't really believe that that's the case.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, ChrisMaciel said:

It won’t happen until Team Brazil continue to manage Guns N Roses. Management has to push it and that means confront Axl.

Chinese Democracy was released only because Irvin Azoff and Andy Gould started to give a shit to Axl’s last minute desires. 

Well they released two songs..and slash said there were more coming. 

• Haha 1

NITL alone grossed 584+ million dollars.  They are less frivolous with their spending now.  The band is making obscene amounts of money.  Even after paying its crew personnel.  Then in 2021 the US tour grossed 50million by itself.  Plus this whole we’re f’n back tour revenue that’s not counted.  This makes the 13-15 years of recording Chinese recording costs make look like pocket lint in context.  They have an albums worth of stuff (likely far more tracked) then, slice and duffel go and do however many they did that were bought and paid for already.  It would cost them next to nothing to release leftovers.  A little PR.  Maybe 5k to do some online marketing.   They’d make that in a few minutes a day at a show. 

I speculate that the issue is certain people are holding on to old ways or old business models that don’t work or aren’t relevant.  Sadly we live in a disposable society so singles make more sense to most bands because as soon as a band releases an album most younger people are like what’s next immediately.  I believe Slice himself said they weren’t sure what releasing an album even looks like in todays demographic.  I think that’s the hold up.  Also obviously too many chickens in the henhouse.  Wasn’t it Beta who told that girl it’s not only Axl about cd2 being released?  Okay…then who is it? Who has it been all of this time?  They have fun with their silence and like that nobody knows what they’re doing.  I’d hope for a double album to end their career that has both old and new blends.  But I will never bet on it and sadly have more of a negative perspective of what once was my favorite band.  They’ll sit on this box set until their tour starts and then maybe they’ll release something new.  I won’t hold my breath though. It’s almost like the surprise isn’t a surprise anymore.  A surprise would be the band doing some press, formally promoting with members doing interviews.  ALL of them.

Edited by UYI4

3 hours ago, UYI4 said:

NITL alone grossed 584+ million dollars.  They are less frivolous with their spending now.  The band is making obscene amounts of money.  Even after paying its crew personnel.  Then in 2021 the US tour grossed 50million by itself.  Plus this whole we’re f’n back tour revenue that’s not counted.  This makes the 13-15 years of recording Chinese recording costs make look like pocket lint in context.  They have an albums worth of stuff (likely far more tracked) then, slice and duffel go and do however many they did that were bought and paid for already.  It would cost them next to nothing to release leftovers.  A little PR.  Maybe 5k to do some online marketing.   They’d make that in a few minutes a day at a show. 

I speculate that the issue is certain people are holding on to old ways or old business models that don’t work or aren’t relevant.  Sadly we live in a disposable society so singles make more sense to most bands because as soon as a band releases an album most younger people are like what’s next immediately.  I believe Slice himself said they weren’t sure what releasing an album even looks like in todays demographic.  I think that’s the hold up.  Also obviously too many chickens in the henhouse.  Wasn’t it Beta who told that girl it’s not only Axl about cd2 being released?  Okay…then who is it? Who has it been all of this time?  They have fun with their silence and like that nobody knows what they’re doing.  I’d hope for a double album to end their career that has both old and new blends.  But I will never bet on it and sadly have more of a negative perspective of what once was my favorite band.  They’ll sit on this box set until their tour starts and then maybe they’ll release something new.  I won’t hold my breath though. It’s almost like the surprise isn’t a surprise anymore.  A surprise would be the band doing some press, formally promoting with members doing interviews.  ALL of them.

Well Slash has managed to figure out what releasing an album is like twice since he rejoined GNR, so I have no idea what he's talking about there. 

• Like 2

On 12/21/2022 at 10:58 AM, Voodoochild said:

NITL was the third most successful tour of ALL TIME. The 2020- tour is in the top ten most successful tours of the 2020s so far. I don't know how much bigger of a big comeback to make the band relevant again they can do. NITL was literally the highest grossing tour of an American band.

Edited by Stro
  • Like 2