The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

12 hours ago, kanecrescente said:

Get Izzy on song writing duties please for fucks sakes. He doesn't even have to tour. 

I understand the sentiment, I do, but I think people need to see a bigger picture here. The boys are not in their 20s any more, it’s not the late 80s any more, they aren’t urchins on the streets with no money and just cheap girls and drugs around them any more, they don’t have impending albums and shit to prove the world any more. Just because a certain person could do that flawlessly in the past, that doesn’t mean it would work the same way in 2022. 
I’m not saying I wouldn’t want it to, but I think this "get Izzy to write something" or "we need the original AfD five" approach might be a bit naive or perhaps short-sighted. 
Just my 2 euro. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 3

On 12/21/2022 at 5:14 PM, Rovim said:

I think that if Axl didn't care or it was all about the money, he would have released more than Absurd and HS by now.

at first Slash said they've worked on "a lot" of tunes, now he says he can't remember, but Axl could have released at least a 6 songs ep by now. He's not talking, so there's no way of knowing, but my guess is that Axl more or less knows which songs he wants to release, that doesn't change much I don't think. He worked on the same material for years and updated it multiple times. I think the way he wants to release that material is a different story, just going by the difference in what Slash said at first about what they've worked on from a while ago to recently.

might be even something crazy like releasing just 4 Chinese era tunes and then using the rest as a part of a full album which seems like a best case scenario or just releasing a few old Chinese tunes and be done with it, but I don't really believe that that's the case.

That doesn't make sense to me. If he didn't care he'd release more music... I mean if he cared he would release music and as much as he could. I think it's likely he either cares way too much or be has just decided that there's other things in his life that are more important than worrying about new music and anything that is more difficult too accomplish in comparison to touring.

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

That doesn't make sense to me. If he didn't care he'd release more music... I mean if he cared he would release music and as much as he could. I think it's likely he either cares way too much or be has just decided that there's other things in his life that are more important than worrying about new music and anything that is more difficult too accomplish in comparison to touring.

I think the unreleased completed material means a lot to Axl. These are very old songs and he released only half of the full project (more or less) maybe I'm wrong, but I think if he wasn't attached to that material, he could have just released all of it digitally or some shit 6 years ago, or even earlier than that. At least 3 years ago when the rerecording of it was done.

It seems like it would've beeen very easy for him to do that instead of releasing just HS and Absurd with Slash and Duff in the band cause he doesn't promote it anyway?

maybe he wants to spread out what he has left in the vault for some reason but my thinking is, bottom line is, why would he put so much meaning on that material instead of just letting go of it by releasing it if he didn't care about it? 

Slash must have thought ithat more tunes were going to be released by now so Axl probably changed his mind since and if that has anything to do with Slash saying he wants to record brand new material , maybe it's because Axl is still trying to get the most out of what he already recorded.

many musicians release new shit just for the sake of releasing something. I don't think Axl is like that.

Edited by Rovim

27 minutes ago, The Matinator said:

Not a big Godsmack fan, but I just read an article about how they’re next album is gonna b they’re last one & that they’re just gonna do greatest hits tours from here on out. A lot of stuff about how tired they are of the constant cycle of releasing music & how freeing it is to not be stuck in that anymore. Would love if GNR could muster that type of honesty. Would probably give a lot of their fans some sense of peace.

As long as the band continues to deceive the fans, and they are going to stadium shows everything will be fine, when the fans wake up and stop going to the shows maybe it will make them understand that they need to do something to earn money. I honestly don't expect anything more from GN'R. They've been in the game for 35 years, they clearly don't mind releasing anything new and they're fine with that, life goes on.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, The Matinator said:

Not a big Godsmack fan, but I just read an article about how they’re next album is gonna b they’re last one & that they’re just gonna do greatest hits tours from here on out. A lot of stuff about how tired they are of the constant cycle of releasing music & how freeing it is to not be stuck in that anymore. Would love if GNR could muster that type of honesty. Would probably give a lot of their fans some sense of peace.

I think it would be silly for Axl to say that no more Gn'R music is going to come out, ever, if he wants to release more music in the future, like he did last year.

personally, I'm fine with waiting for more music if it means it will actually come out, even if it's just 1 more song, it's way better than some kind of closure. Nobody died and I don't have to invest my time and energy or money in this band if I don't want to and you don't have to do it either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

I think the unreleased completed material means a lot to Axl. These are very old songs and he released only half of the full project (more or less) maybe I'm wrong, but I think if he wasn't attached to that material, he could have just released all of it digitally or some shit 6 years ago, or even earlier than that. At least 3 years ago when the rerecording of it was done.

It seems like it would've beeen very easy for him to do that instead of releasing just HS and Absurd with Slash and Duff in the band cause he doesn't promote it anyway?

maybe he wants to spread out what he has left in the vault for some reason but my thinking is, bottom line is, why would he put so much meaning on that material instead of just letting go of it by releasing it if he didn't care about it? 

Slash must have thought ithat more tunes were going to be released by now so Axl probably changed his mind since and if that has anything to do with Slash saying he wants to record brand new material , maybe it's because Axl is still trying to get the most out of what he already recorded.

many musicians release new shit just for the sake of releasing something. I don't think Axl is like that.

Many musicians also don't take 14 years between each record. 

I don't know, but there really is no way to paint Axl in any other way than perfectionist to the point of stepping on his own toes OR just completely disinterested in the process. 

I think that Axl releasing those two songs with 22yr old vocals says a lot about his passion/mindset for moving forward. No other singer would do what he did. That's like Van Halen releasing different kind of truth and it's just the original demos just with remastering. You can say he just liked what he did, but I think if you can't think of some way to enhance the idea 22yrs later then there's bigger questions. I think he has lost his mojo and has zero idea how to get it back. I can 100% say the mojo won't be found by releasing songs the way he released the last two.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jamillos said:

Just because a certain person could do that flawlessly in the past, that doesn’t mean it would work the same way in 2022

I don’t think the genesis of this sentiment is what Izzy can do. It’s what the others consistently can’t do without him  

5 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Many musicians also don't take 14 years between each record. 

I don't know, but there really is no way to paint Axl in any other way than perfectionist to the point of stepping on his own toes OR just completely disinterested in the process. 

I think that Axl releasing those two songs with 22yr old vocals says a lot about his passion/mindset for moving forward. No other singer would do what he did. That's like Van Halen releasing different kind of truth and it's just the original demos just with remastering. You can say he just liked what he did, but I think if you can't think of some way to enhance the idea 22yrs later then there's bigger questions. I think he has lost his mojo and has zero idea how to get it back. I can 100% say the mojo won't be found by releasing songs the way he released the last two.

I believe he's a perfectionist. This doesn't mean that what he does manage to release will be considered any good by everyone in the Gn'R fanbase or worthy of the Gn'R name or would be of a high quality, but I highly doubt that Axl would release something that he doesn't want to release as a musician.

releasing Absurd didn't do him no favors and he's not dumb, I think he knew it wasn't going to be received well and I don't think he'd use his own music to troll the fanbase, we're not that important imo.

I think the release of Absurd and HS, two 20 plus year old tunes means that Axl probably still views at least some of the unreleased Chinese era material as unfinished business. I've said that before.

even if Axl changed his mind about the approach of release, the fact is that there is an album's worth of completed material in some form and I don't believe Axl would just abandon that material completely. 

it is possible that Axl has never lost his ability to write and compose great songs but maybe overthinks the process of release, what would it mean to the legacy of Gn'R, etc as perfectionist musicians often do.

56 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I believe he's a perfectionist. This doesn't mean that what he does manage to release will be considered any good by everyone in the Gn'R fanbase or worthy of the Gn'R name or would be of a high quality, but I highly doubt that Axl would release something that he doesn't want to release as a musician.

releasing Absurd didn't do him no favors and he's not dumb, I think he knew it wasn't going to be received well and I don't think he'd use his own music to troll the fanbase, we're not that important imo.

I think the release of Absurd and HS, two 20 plus year old tunes means that Axl probably still views at least some of the unreleased Chinese era material as unfinished business. I've said that before.

even if Axl changed his mind about the approach of release, the fact is that there is an album's worth of completed material in some form and I don't believe Axl would just abandon that material completely. 

it is possible that Axl has never lost his ability to write and compose great songs but maybe overthinks the process of release, what would it mean to the legacy of Gn'R, etc as perfectionist musicians often do.

I think knowing that you're going to bomb and still going ahead with it... Admirable, but insanity. 

I would love to hear his thoughts on the reaction. He probably thinks it's growing on people and that any new material would get that response. But in reality, that song should never have ever seen the light of day, not in 2002 or 2021

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I think knowing that you're going to bomb and still going ahead with it... Admirable, but insanity. 

I would love to hear his thoughts on the reaction. He probably thinks it's growing on people and that any new material would get that response. But in reality, that song should never have ever seen the light of day, not in 2002 or 2021

not insane if he likes it. I call that artistic integrity. It is, after all, the song that should be heard. Who knows what he thinks, but he did say something before playing it live that one time, which to me proved that he knows that most of the Gn'R show attending crowd doesn't think it's anything spectacular. 

personally, I'm glad it was released and I think the live versions of it are quite energetic and fun but I get that Absurd is not for everyone.

Edited by Rovim

6 hours ago, Rovim said:

not insane if he likes it. I call that artistic integrity. It is, after all, the song that should be heard. Who knows what he thinks, but he did say something before playing it live that one time, which to me proved that he knows that most of the Gn'R show attending crowd doesn't think it's anything spectacular. 

personally, I'm glad it was released and I think the live versions of it are quite energetic and fun but I get that Absurd is not for everyone.

Honesty I couldn't be further from your position... But I also understand the artistic integrity thing. What did he say? I know he said  some like "we like it so, we're gonna play it".

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Honesty I couldn't be further from your position... But I also understand the artistic integrity thing. What did he say? I know he said  some like "we like it so, we're gonna play it".

Yes, something like that.

Axl: Some of you might have heard this under another name, but this is... it's really kind of absurd to try this. [Frank adds a rimshot]. Wasn't that funny? And they don't even know the joke yet. Okay, this is called 'Absurd.' [Fenway Park, Boston, MA, USA, August 3, 2021]

Axl: We got a new song out. If you don’t like it, that’s okay, we’re gonna play it anyway. It's called Absurd. [FargoDome, Fargo, ND, USA, August 11, 2021]

On 12/24/2022 at 4:54 AM, The Matinator said:

And a sense of closure that the band they once loved, is no longer interested in new music and the biggest nostalgic act. Which is cool for them, but I still hold this fantasy that we'll get an uncompressed cd 2 w/ Slash and Duff. 

On 12/24/2022 at 4:51 PM, SoulMonster said:

Just as an apropos to the band's view on releasing albums, since I have been adding to this section today: 

untitl16.jpg

Whats funny is Dizzy and Duff have no problems releasing solo and other band albums right up to present day.

This problem of releasing/recording albums only occurs with the GNR band itself....

• Like 2

On 12/25/2022 at 7:27 AM, Bitchisback said:

The fans deceive themselves.

A couple and members have said they would like to make a new album, but nobody has come out and said that's definite. Everything that they have said has been true. They are re-working a few CD left overs and are going to release them a couple at a time.  And then maybe after their tour this year they will write together. Maybe not.  But nothing has ever been set in stone with this band. 

If people are expecting more that's on them, unfortunately 

A couple at a time? You mean one time. in 7 years.