John Frusciante returns to RHCP

vloors

My Cigarette is definitely the most divisive song on the album, people seem to either like the experimentation or really hate it. It's not at all what I expect from RHCP but it's catchy, and the end is nice, but it's a bit repetitive.

After a few listens I'd say top 5 on the album are: Eddie, Fake As Fuck, The Drummer, Reach Out and Bag Of Grins. Honorable mention to Bella.

Edited by Gordon Comstock

My 'Unlimited Dreams' single album/playlist:

1. Black Summer
2. Here Ever After
3. The Drummer
4. Reach Out
5. Carry Me Home
6. Bella
7. The Great Apes
8. Nerve Flip
9. Fake As Fuck
10. Eddie
11. The Shape I'm Takin'
12. White Braids & Pillow Chair
13. Roulette
14. Bag Of Grins
15. Tangelo
16. In The Snow
17. The Heavy Wing

First listen. It's a little weak, but there were enough great highs that I'm ok with it. We got enough good RHCP music this year. I'm excited to keep listening though, as my views on Unlimited Love evolved over time too. It's a lot of music to take in.

I really like My Cigarette. I wouldn't mind 5 of those on the album.

On 10/8/2022 at 12:42 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

My Cigarette is definitely the most divisive song on the album, people seem to either like the experimentation or really hate it. It's not at all what I expect from RHCP but it's catchy, and the end is nice, but it's a bit repetitive.

After a few listens I'd say top 5 on the album are: Eddie, Fake As Fuck, The Drummer, Reach Out and Bag Of Grins. Honorable mention to Bella.

My Top 5 would be The Drummer, Roulette, Fake As Fuck, Bella, Tippa. I kinda wanna swap the last one of those with The Shape I’m Takin, but feel weird doing so since it’s only a bonus track.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

The Shape is one of the best songs on both albums. 

I'm liking it Canteen so far, lots to digest, but immediately loved UL. 

Many people didnt love UL because it didnt have catchy riffs to get songs started (bar Here Ever After) but there really aren't that many on Canteen either. Which songs would make good radio singles?

Edited by Coma16
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

The Shape is one of the best songs on both albums. 

I'm liking it Canteen so far, lots to digest, but immediately loved UL. 

Many people didnt love UL because it didnt have catchy riffs to get songs started (bar Here Ever After) but there really aren't that many on Canteen either. Which songs would make good radio singles?

I agree with all of this. As far as singles go for UL, in hindsight I think they should’ve gone with just Black Summer and Watchu Thinkin.

For this album I think they chose the right ones; Tippa and Eddie.

Edited by rocknroll41

Just now, rocknroll41 said:

I agree with all of this. As far as singles go, for UL, I would’ve went with just Black Summer and Watchu Thinkin.

For this album I think they chose the right ones; Tippa and Eddie.

Eddie isn't a "real" single though, it's more like Poster Child and the cum song from UL. I still think Here Ever After should have been the 2nd single, over the Smells, it's a banger live too!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

Whatever your top 5 may be from this album, do you guys agree that the top 5 of this album blows away the top 5 of UL?

Even if UL is more consistent.

I have to listen to this album a little more for my top 5 but not sure I agree that the highs on Canteen are higher than UL.

Top 6 from UL (no particular order):

Black Summer

Here Ever After

Watchu Thinking

It's Only Natural

Veronica

Heavy Wing

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jakey Styley said:

Whatever your top 5 may be from this album, do you guys agree that the top 5 of this album blows away the top 5 of UL?

Even if UL is more consistent.

Yeah I agree that RotDC has higher highs but also lower lows, compared to UL.

UL Top 5: Here Ever After, Watchu Thinkin, White Braids & Pillow-Chair, The Heavy Wing, It’s Only Natural (Honorable Mention: Black Summer)

RotDC Top 5: The Drummer, Roulette, Fake As Fuck, Bella, Tippa My Tongue (Honorable Mention: The Shape I’m Taking)

Edited by rocknroll41

I’ll be honest, I thought UL was just okay. I dig the Chilis and would love to see them with John back, but their material since SA has been mediocre  for me. Eddie is the only song I really dig, but I still have to hear this new record

I do think it’s cool AF they are putting our 2 double albums in a year. 

• Like 1

Their concerts are getting shorter and shorter. 

Last concert according to setlist.com had 16 songs.  

Take away the intro jam,  pea and john's solo song and that makes 13 with the band. 

That's pretty poor for a stadium tour charging $200+

55 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Deep cuts are awesome but I’d be bummed if they didn’t do Under the Bridge with John if I was at the show.

They play UTB on like 1/3 of the shows, they switch it with Soul To Squeeze and I Could Have Lied almost evenly with Sir Psycho Sexy sometimes being played at that slot

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I can’t believe I’m saying this but… My Cigarette is growing on me.

My friend and I agree now that RotDC is better than UL, but I still don’t like tracks 14-16, and In The Snow is only good in a funny way.

Yeah the more this sets in the more I’m 100% sure I like this one more.

I like In the Snow, though the Anthony nonsense comes close to ruining it for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jakey Styley said:

Yeah the more this sets in the more I’m 100% sure I like this one more.

I like In the Snow, though the Anthony nonsense comes close to ruining it for me.

Yeah even that song is starting to grow on me for real now, but that spoken word section man… oh boy…

Kinda disappointed after listening to Tippa My Tongue... thought this was gonna be a more solid album, but unfortunately RHCP seems to care more about releasing literally every last bit of material they have and make another 17-track album targetted towards profiting the most possible out of streaming platforms and that makes this album, which has pretty good material in it, be surrounded by mediocre songs that would never the cut 15 years ago.

Anyways, this is how I rate/rank the songs:

Tippa My Tongue 8.5/10

Roulette 6/10

Afterlife 6/10

Bella 6/10

Peace and Love 6/10

Copperbelly 6/10

Carry Me Home 5/10

Handful 5/10

Eddie 5/10

La La La La La La La La 4/10

Fake As Fuck 4/10