COVID-19 Outbreak

adamsapple

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

towns are closing, disneyland tokio is closing, schools are closing in europe, the tour of the emirates has stopped,... Everyone is taking measures, but we shouldn't panic? the virus is already in your country too, by the way.

spreading a false sense of safety could lead to severe consequences. by now, I dont think it's really appropriate to do so anymore.

3 minutes ago, action said:

towns are closing, disneyland tokio is closing, schools are closing in europe, the tour of the emirates has stopped,... Everyone is taking measures, but we shouldn't panic? the virus is already in your country too, by the way.

spreading a false sense of safety could lead to severe consequences. by now, I dont think it's really appropriate to do so anymore.

Well, if your argument is that you should panic over something like Covid-19 where the probability of death is so ridiculously small, then you should of course also panic for all the things that are more likely to kill you, like seasonal flu, car crashes, a sudden stroke, etc. So in the interest of living a balanced life, go on and panic. Do it. Panic about all the things that might kill you with an equal or higher probability than Covid-19. Panic!!

And then rational people can go on with their lives knowing that their probability of dying before the summer hasn't really changed since before Covid-19 made its arrival on the scene.

Edited by SoulMonster

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Well, if your argument is that you should panic over something like Covid-19 where the probability of death is so ridiculously small, then you should of course also panic for all the things that are more likely to kill you, like seasonal flu, car crashes, a sudden stroke, etc. So in the interest of living a balanced life, go on and panic. Do it. Panic about all the things that might kill you with an equal of higer probability than Covid-19. Panic!!

I can only note that countries, companies, schools etc are taking severe measures, that do not match with a disease where the probability of death is ridiculously small.

the economy, is taking sever hits. Millions of money is lost.

why would all of that happen, if there is nothing to worry about?

knowledge is power, and the more power you have, the more knowledge you have.

"The suits" clearly are abandoing ship, while telling us proletarians that everything is fine.

2 minutes ago, action said:

I can only note that countries, companies, schools etc are taking severe measures, that do not match with a disease where the probability of death is ridiculously small.

the economy, is taking sever hits. Millions of money is lost.

why would all of that happen, if there is nothing to worry about?

Governments take severe precautions because it is their job to prevent this disease from spreading, especially until we have a vaccine.

The economy is taking a hit because people don't won't to fly because they are scared, and because China has imposed such strict restrictions it is slowing their economy.

As far as your health is concerned, there is nothing to worry about (with the assumption that you are not old and weak).

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Governments take severe precautions because it is their job to prevent this disease from spreading, especially until we have a vaccine.

The economy is taking a hit because people don't won't to fly because they are scared, and because China has imposed such strict restrictions it is slowing their economy.

As far as your health is concerned, there is nothing to worry about (with the assumption that you are not old and weak).

I’m looking on the bright side. I could conceivably get a couple of weeks off work for this and if the stock market keeps tanking Trump has a harder time winning re-election in November. :thumbsup: 

9 hours ago, action said:

I'm more abstract about this. while I did feel antisocial myself, when I wore that mask, ultimately this was a ridiculous thought since I wasn't targeting people; I was targetig a virus. So a more accurate description would be "I don't want to be breathing in your diseased infections, you corona virus". Humans, in this case, merely make up the "host". A virus is not an idea, it is an actual biological reality which I'm directly shielding myself of. There just happens to be a human between me and the corona virus.

It's like a lawyer, yelling at the policeman in court, what a serious scumbag he was for murdering his wife. Except, the lawyer isnt really talking to the policeman, but to the killer standing next to him, handcuffed to the policeman.

I don't identifiy people with this virus. So in my mind I'm not antisocial. In reality, I'm not antisocial. I'm not antisocial, how ever you spin this. I merely "appear" to be

My comment was more a remark about general usage of the mask in western countries, as opposed to usage now as a consequence of the corona virus. As I'm sure you are aware, the wearing of surgical masks in public has been a prevalent thing for Asians for a long time; cultural? fashion purposes? Who knows?

3 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I’m looking on the bright side. I could conceivably get a couple of weeks off work for this and if the stock market keeps tanking Trump has a harder time winning re-election in November. :thumbsup: 

Which would be bad news for the United Kingdom, Trump not winning.

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

My comment was more a remark about general usage of the mask in western countries, as opposed to usage now as a consequence of the corona virus. As I'm sure you are aware, the wearing of surgical masks in public has been a prevalent thing for Asians for a long time; cultural? fashion purposes? Who knows?

"culture" has the characteristic of being able to change overnight.

Today, it's ridiculous and weird to wear such a mask in a general store. Tomorrow, you could be viewed as irresponsible for not wearing a mask.

There was a qualitative step going on in my mind, when I decided "I'm going to put on this mask, buy a packet of butter, pay it at the counter wearing that stupid mask, and then telling the cashier she can keep the receipt".

I felt like I "stepped" into a new reality, a reality where I'm wearing such a mask to protect myself from the real threat of a dangerous virus. I may be one of the first people to do so, and I don't feel proud of this nor do I expect any understanding from anyone. But I have a feeling, in two weeks, I won't be alone.

6 minutes ago, action said:

"culture" has the characteristic of being able to change overnight.

Today, it's ridiculous and weird to wear such a mask in a general store. Tomorrow, you could be viewed as irresponsible for not wearing a mask.

There was a qualitative step going on in my mind, when I decided "I'm going to put on this mask, buy a packet of butter, pay it at the counter wearing that stupid mask, and then telling the cashier she can keep the receipt".

I felt like I "stepped" into a new reality, a reality where I'm wearing such a mask to protect myself from the real threat of a dangerous virus. I may be one of the first people to do so, and I don't feel proud of this nor do I expect any understanding from anyone. But I have a feeling, in two weeks, I won't be alone.

The bolded part made me LOL.

I've a serious question. What happens when your kid goes back to school next week? More than probably other kids will have gone on a ski trip to northern Italy. How will you deal with that.

7 minutes ago, Lio said:

I've a serious question. What happens when your kid goes back to school next week? More than probably other kids will have gone on a ski trip to northern Italy. How will you deal with that.

posing the question, is answering it. you know my track record in this thread, you know what I'm gonna do.

As a parent, my duty to protect my child in the best possible way, comes into conflict with the social pressure to let your child attend school. Every responsible parent has to ask themselves the question "at what point, does my duty to protect my child, prevail over the social norm of letting your child attend school".

I may also add, before you speak scandal of the thought of not letting your child attend school, that thousands and thousands of children are marching for the climate while skipping school (and are applauded for it), for causes that are far less urgent and imminent than the corona virus. If I am irresponsible for keeping my child at home, then I wonder what that makes of all those parents that make their kids skip school for the climate.

Edited by action

4 minutes ago, action said:

posing the question, is answering it. you know my track record in this thread, you know what I'm gonna do.

As a parent, my duty to protect my child in the best possible way, comes into conflict with the social pressure to let your child attend school. Every responsible parent has to ask themselves the question "at what point, does my duty to protect my child, prevail over the social norm of letting your child attend school".

I may also add, before you speak scandal of the thought of not letting your child attend school, that thousands and thousands of children are marching for the climate while skipping school (and are applauded for it), for causes that are far less urgent and imminent than the corona virus. If I am irresponsible for keeping my child at home, then I wonder what that makes of all those parents that make their kids skip school for the climate.

I wasn't going to speak scandal. It was a genuine question.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, action said:

So you are keeping your child home during flu season too, then? 

How bad is this?

Ok so I work in Insurance validation so basically you make a claim and say you accidental broke your Laptop we collect it inspect it and then repair it o behalf of your insurance company.

Anyway a women makes a claim on Monday for a Laptop saying she dropped it down some stairs whilst in Japan so we call her arrange a date and time ect for collection and right at the end of the call she tells us she is under quarantine for the Corona Virus.

So naturally we are like well fuck that what we will do is run a remote diagnostic so you send us in pictures and we will judge if we can repair it or not from there.

10 mins later we get an email saying they also want to claim for a Cell Phone so naturally alarm bells start ringing she is obviously pulling a fast one and has realized if i tell them i have this virus there just going to remotely validate it and tell my insurers it cant be fixed and to replace it.

So we now think something is fishy here what we will do is tell her OK after the 14 day quarantine period we will then arrange a collection of both devices for inspection so I go to call her and tell her this and she is very obviously out driving in her car on the way to the DR.

Funny that because all NHS information says if you think you might have it you basically go into lock down don't come to the DR don't leave the house.

She is now throwing a paddy and insisting we collect it from another address and that it will be fine because she has cleaned it with an antiseptic wipe .... Sweetie if it was that simple we would all just rub ourselves in wipes.

We have basically told her to fuck off we ain't collecting anything until the quarantine period is over and she is failing to understand we cant risk our own health and well being.

Basically I think she is bullshitting about having it what a horrible lie aye?

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

So you are keeping your child home during flu season too, then? 

I do what I have to do. You see, the fact of the matter is this: it's my child, not yours. you have children too: you too, can do as you please. but we always have to think of the following: In every action we make, lay the consequences. A dead person can not be revived.

it is true, my opinion is in direct violation with pretty much every scientific finding on this. And it is true, you are an expert on virology. Seeing how it is pointless arguing with a virologist, when you are not one yourself, I'm not going to argue. However, I absolutely reserve the right to make my own decisions, without the need to explain them.

So if I'm not basing my decision on scientific findings, what do I base them on, I hear you asking. Well, I'm basing it on my, what they call in belgium: "healthy peasant's whisdom". 

3 minutes ago, action said:

I do what I have to do. You see, the fact of the matter is this: it's my child, not yours. you have children too: you too, can do as you please. but we always have to think of the following: In every action we make, lay the consequences. A dead person can not be revived.

it is true, my opinion is in direct violation with pretty much every scientific finding on this. And it is true, you are an expert on virology. Seeing how it is pointless arguing with a virologist, when you are not one yourself, I'm not going to argue. However, I absolutely reserve the right to make my own decisions, without the need to explain them.

So if I'm not basing my decision on scientific findings, what do I base them on, I hear you asking. Well, I'm basing it on my, what they call in belgium: "healthy peasant's whisdom". 

Personally I wouldn’t trust any peasant who can’t spell wisdom. Belgian or otherwise. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey
  • Haha 1

Just now, SoulMonster said:

So you ARE keeping your child home from school now because of seasonal flu?

I said, I don't have to explain myself. the topic goes about the corona virus, not about seasonal flu. I don't want to derail the thread.

I will say this though: it's been years since anyone of my family had the flu, and no, the thought of being infected never crossed my mind. If you dig a little in this forum, you'll even find a thread made by me, where I oracled "I love having the flu, so I dont have to go to work". Obviously, I take the corona virus far more serious than seasonal flu. And so do many countries, companies, schools, etc.

• Haha 1

The reason why we take Covid-19 more seriously is manyfold. Some of it is a bit irrational, like us being scared of something new and the media making a huge fuzz about it. Some is more rational, like concern over the fact that we still don't know as much about Covid-19 as influenza virus and we could be wrong, the fact that the fatality rate seems to be a lot higher than for normal flu, the hope that through containment and quarantine we might eradicate this virus before it spreads so much it becomes a fixed new disease for infinity.

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

The reason why we take Covid-19 more seriously is manyfold. Some of it is a bit irrational, like us being scared of something new and the media making a huge fuzz about it. Some is more rational, like concern over the fact that we still don't know as much about Covid-19 as influenza virus and we could be wrong, the fact that the fatality rate seems to be a lot higher than for normal flu, the hope that through containment and quarantine we might eradicate this virus before it spreads so much it becomes a fixed new disease for infinity.

the reason is also, because we sometimes have children to protect.

are you familiar with the "precautionary principle" in international environmental law? (see, for reference: FREESTONE, D. and HEY, E. (Eds), The precautionary principle and International Law, The Hague, Kluwer Law International, 1996, 274p)? It says that measures should be taken, whenever there are clear indications that a certain activity holds danger for the environment, even in the absence of clear evidence between the activity and the environmental damage. This means, that clear indications are sufficient, and we don't have to wait for a scientific consensus, to act.

I apply this principle when it comes to protecting my son, because I think my son is of far more value than anything else in this world.

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

We ALWAYS have children to protect :) Doesn't explain why we behave differently towards this new disease than seasonal flu.

you should thank me though. I just gave you, on a plate, an argument to use in the greta thunberg thread. I fully expect you to use my own argument against me in that thread.

• downzy changed the title to COVID-19 Outbreak
  • downzy locked this topic
  • downzy unlocked and pinned this topic