Axl and Slash

2 minutes ago, Snooze said:

For those who have seen them since the reunion, what would you say the chemistry is like between them on stage?

Axl will maybe once per show walk over to slash put his hand on his back, slash won't react and then walk away. There is zero chemistry between any of them. The only time sparks fly were when slash and fortus had their instrumental solo together, but that died after 130 performances. It's clear they're not friends outside of the band, it's for the paycheque now. I'd imagine slash and duff are still close though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Not bad. But I saw them in 2016 when the reunion started. Idk what it was like at more recent shows.

Thanks for replying. Hoping to try see them when, hopefully, things get back to normal. I’ve always wondered about those two since the reunion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

Axl will maybe once per show walk over to slash put his hand on his back, slash won't react and then walk away. There is zero chemistry between any of them. The only time sparks fly were when slash and fortus had their instrumental solo together, but that died after 130 performances. It's clear they're not friends outside of the band, it's for the paycheque now. I'd imagine slash and duff are still close though.

To be fair - I had thought the interaction between the two was quite limited too but on seeing fan footage from throughout the whole tour there was much more than I thought. Quite a lot of talking between the two at various points.

I don’t think they are best buds but they don’t need to be - they appear cordial which is fine given the last 25 years. 😂

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 2

I didnt count how many times they interacted in the 3 NITL shows I went to, but I feel pretty confident that they interacted no more than 3 times in each 3 hour show.  

my question is, how does that compare to Axls interaction with the nu Guns guys during a show?  I saw nu Guns in 2011 and I remember feeling like the band were all friends, but their singer was clearly the boss who wasnt even on the stage for 40 percent of the show.  Cant say I saw Axl interact with DJ or Bumble at all at the show I was at, but I could be wrong and just dont remember. 

12 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

To be fair - I had thought the interaction between the two was quite limited too but on seeing fan footage from throughout the whole tour there was much more than I thought. Quite a lot of talking between the two at various points.

I don’t think they are best buds but they don’t need to be - they appear cordial which is fine given the last 25 years. 😂

I watched 3/4 gigs throughout on periscope and attended 3 gigs. I saw identical interactions each show. Sure if you add 130 shows and pick the best 10 moments from them it looks like they're best mates. But in reality the gigs are 3 hours, and those are very few examples. I don't sense animosity between them. I don't think they dislike eachother. But every show i've seen the interactions looks forced and they look like 2 guys who are there for the money and the show, not for each other. That's why we've got no interviews with them or any comment on it. They're cool with eachother but not mates. 

4 hours ago, Italian girl said:

Nah.

You seem to know too many things about Them, Simply watching Them on stage.

@Snooze The thruth Is that nobody knows what happens behind the scenes

The stage is a very emotional and personal place. They show little emotion towards eachother. I can sum it up bet by saying that they look like workmates. If it wasn't for their job they'd never hand in the same places with the same people or have any interest in each other. But they have a shared common goal in GnR. To play a great show and make loads of money, and together they can do that. I don't know or care that much about their personal lives, but it is what it is. 19 years was a long time of no contact and negative press. plus the final 5 years of guns they were drifting apart. I'd much rather on stage they were really together and in the moment ad replicating that in the studio, but that wont happen.

Edited by JimiRose
typo

I may criticize lots of things of the band nowadays, but I saw three NITL shows and the chemistry was there IMO. I do think that Slash seemed not very much 'into it' for the 2019-20 shows, but that’s one thing completely different from his relationship with Axl.

Surely money played a big factor for them reuniting (why not reuniting sooner then?), but they seem to get along really good. There’s plenty of backstage pics and videos as well that prove it. I think they even had dinner with the McKagan’s more than once, the three families I mean.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

They show little emotion? You want them to hug after every song? Smile at each other non stop? I mean, I've hardly ever seen any emotion coming from Slash at all, in fact, I've hardly ever seen the guy's face on stage, I hear the emotion in his guitar playing all the time, but that's about it. I don't know how you seem to know this because you don't even know them. As Italian girl said, you simply can't know what happens behind the scenes.

You enjoy your music bland and passionless. There is no emotion and passion in their playing, it is robotic. I wish I could be content with mediocrity in live performance, but im not. There is a reason most people on this forum wouldn't go see them again. If they were knocking it out the park, like say ACDC or KISS do every time they hit the stage, then the lack of new music could be overlooked. But I don't know what you are comparing too. When I saw GnR in 2006, there was fire there was energy. When i Saw them in 2010 and 12, there was energy and it was a show. Now it is a machine. Now granted, that's not the worst thing. But I want more than that. And no, passion is not hugging after a song or crying tears during a solo. It is a feeling, when you're at the gig you know. And sadly, it's not there. 

And what they're like outside the band? I don't particularly care, but they are not buddies chatting every few days and meeting up for meals and drinks. Axl n Slash were never that close when they were in their peak, they're completely different guys who happened to connect musically. So I'd say common sense means we know what happens behind the scenes, if we so care. 

57 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

You enjoy your music bland and passionless. There is no emotion and passion in their playing, it is robotic. I wish I could be content with mediocrity in live performance, but im not. There is a reason most people on this forum wouldn't go see them again. If they were knocking it out the park, like say ACDC or KISS do every time they hit the stage, then the lack of new music could be overlooked. But I don't know what you are comparing too. When I saw GnR in 2006, there was fire there was energy. When i Saw them in 2010 and 12, there was energy and it was a show. Now it is a machine. Now granted, that's not the worst thing. But I want more than that. And no, passion is not hugging after a song or crying tears during a solo. It is a feeling, when you're at the gig you know. And sadly, it's not there. 

And what they're like outside the band? I don't particularly care, but they are not buddies chatting every few days and meeting up for meals and drinks. Axl n Slash were never that close when they were in their peak, they're completely different guys who happened to connect musically. So I'd say common sense means we know what happens behind the scenes, if we so care. 

:facepalm:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

You enjoy your music bland and passionless. There is no emotion and passion in their playing, it is robotic.

Well, evidently other people don't see it that way.

When I went to see GnR a couple of years ago, I saw enough ''emotion'' and ''passion''. And besides, everyone is different. Some people are more reserved in expressing emotions. I believe Duff even mentioned this in his book, how the band never really celebrated their success together and not even high fived each other whenever they reached a milestone. That doesn't mean that they don't hang out together and everything else you claim. You're making a lot of assumptions based on the fact that you don't deem their stage performance good enough. Bizarre theory you have, I must say. 

12 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Well, evidently other people don't see it that way.

When I went to see GnR a couple of years ago, I saw enough ''emotion'' and ''passion''. And besides, everyone is different. Some people are more reserved in expressing emotions. I believe Duff even mentioned this in his book, how the band never really celebrated their success together and not even high fived each other whenever they reached a milestone. That doesn't mean that they don't hang out together and everything else you claim. You're making a lot of assumptions based on the fact that you don't deem their stage performance good enough. Bizarre theory you have, I must say. 

Feel free to see the 19th year of the same show in 2021, I won't be going unless theres new music. When a band charges £100 or $200 for a show, you're allowed to be ultra critical. Like I said, it's not the worst, it's not bad. But there is no energy. I'm not sure where you saw the passion, but it's not there anymore. 

My assumptions are based on evidence though. Slash said that he and Axl didnt hang out much after 89. he barely saw him at all anywhere apart from on stage after that. Sure, we don't know everything, but it's safe to say they're acquaintances more than close friends. business partners. A lucrative business that brings joy (sometimes) to their fans. There is way more evidence to suggest that, than that they are good friends and do hang out regularly, which you and italian girl seem to suggest. And their personal friendship would not matter a jot to me if I saw great stage interaction and passionate performances, but I don't. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Feel free to see the 19th year of the same show in 2021, I won't be going unless theres new music. When a band charges £100 or $200 for a show, you're allowed to be ultra critical. Like I said, it's not the worst, it's not bad. But there is no energy. I'm not sure where you saw the passion, but it's not there anymore. 

My assumptions are based on evidence though. Slash said that he and Axl didnt hang out much after 89. he barely saw him at all anywhere apart from on stage after that. Sure, we don't know everything, but it's safe to say they're acquaintances more than close friends. business partners. A lucrative business that brings joy (sometimes) to their fans. There is way more evidence to suggest that, than that they are good friends and do hang out regularly, which you and italian girl seem to suggest. And their personal friendship would not matter a jot to me if I saw great stage interaction and passionate performances, but I don't. 

I'm not suggesting anything. The problem on this forum is people like you, who are always making assumptions based on nothing. You are trying to say that because you don't see any emotion, that automatically means that they are not friends and only ''workmates'', as you put it. I'm not even saying you're wrong, maybe you're completely right about it, but my point is that you can't know and neither can I. Unless you know these guys personally and what goes on behind the scenes. But I don't think you do. So show some modesty and stop making assumptions based on nothing.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

I'm not suggesting anything. The problem on this form is people like you, who are always making assumptions based on nothing. You are trying to say that because you don't see any emotion, that automatically means that they are not friends and only ''workmates'', as you put it. I'm not even saying you're wrong, maybe you're completely right about it, but my point is that you can't know and neither can I. Unless you know these guys personally and what goes on behind the scenes. But I don't think you do. So show some modesty and stop making assumptions based on nothing.

But if I am making an assumption based on what I see, then aren't you doing exactly the same thing, making an assumption based on what you see? So surely I could say the same, show some modesty and stop making assumptions based on nothing. 

4 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

But if I am making an assumption based on what I see, then aren't you doing exactly the same thing, making an assumption based on what you see? So surely I could say the same, show some modesty and stop making assumptions based on nothing. 

Yes, and I tried to make you see how ridiculous that is, but I guess with no success. You have any idea how many bands I've seen or know who have a very stoic attitude on stage and don't even show half as much emotion as GnR? Yet they're all friends, so where does that leave your little theory?

Edited by EvanG
typo

2 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Yes, and I tried to let you see how ridiculous that is, but I guess with no success. You have any idea how many bands I've seen or know who have a very stoic attitude on stage and don't even show half as much emotion as GnR? Yet they're all friends, so where does that leave your little theory?

I don't care about those bands, and for the most part those bands dont expect me to pay £100 to see the same show. For that ticket cost I expect something extra. When I saw the stones, you could tell theres a deep connection between Keith and mick. ACDC, angus and Brian are very charismatic on stage. Kiss is a constant wow (I'm trying to compare them to their contemporaries rather than todays bands) GnR can't give me a 90% emotionless machine like set of the same songs and expect me to keep on coming. And as I've said the evidence is that slash said him and axl weren't close away from the band after 89, you don't see all of them out together anywhere. You can argue axl likes privacy, that's true but slash wasn't at an axl birthday dinner that was posted online, slash and duff mingle a lot. Paul and Gene are friends away from the band, mick and keith still go out together when on tour to see things. As I have said, I wouldn't care what they do away from the band, if they delivered me the show I am paying for. At GnRs level, getting up and simply playing the hits isn't enough.