Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Trump. Yes he is a wanker but living in a different country from the United States, I can quite easily say Trump has never affected me in any way detrimentally. Surely Trump is something for Americans to figure out? Look to your own governments and the handling of corona.

I think personally trump is Y2K

He broke the entire political system and drove everyone on both sides insane. We are gonna be seeing a lot more people like him on both sides

42 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Surely rock formations (igneous rock etc) and the earth's plates is geology

Well, think of geomorphology as a sort of interface between geology and physical geography - like a venn diagram, if that helps. Geology is the study of the minerals and rocks that make up the earth and how they came to be - physical geography is more about the landforms comprised of those rocks and minerals, their distribution over the surface of the Earth and their interaction with other natural systems. If you bring in the human element and study the interaction between natural and social phenomena, that's environmental geography and if you move over into studying the spatial aspects of social phenomena, then that's human geography. I've always tried to keep myself in the middle ground (i.e. environmental geography) because I think that's where geography really shines, and what really interests me. 

48 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Trump. Yes he is a wanker but living in a different country from the United States, I can quite easily say Trump has never affected me in any way detrimentally. Surely Trump is something for Americans to figure out? Look to your own governments and the handling of corona.

Of course USA dismantling WHO affects everybody, from people living in desolate areas of Sudan and Newcastle to people in affluent London and Berlin. Only literally do you live on an Island, no matter how far you stick your head in the sand, your backside still sticks up. 

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Of course USA dismantling WHO affects everybody, from people living in desolate areas of Sudan and Newcastle to people in affluent London and Berlin. Only literally do you live on an Island, no matter how far you stick your head in the sand, your backside still sticks up. 

He hasn't dismantled WHO though. He has just removed funding.

11 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Well, think of geomorphology as a sort of interface between geology and physical geography - like a venn diagram, if that helps. Geology is the study of the minerals and rocks that make up the earth and how they came to be - physical geography is more about the landforms comprised of those rocks and minerals, their distribution over the surface of the Earth and their interaction with other natural systems. If you bring in the human element and study the interaction between natural and social phenomena, that's environmental geography and if you move over into studying the spatial aspects of social phenomena, then that's human geography. I've always tried to keep myself in the middle ground (i.e. environmental geography) because I think that's where geography really shines, and what really interests me. 

I wanted to learn proper Geography, i.e. continents, countries and capitals.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

Its fine, there is a herd immunity built up within the Stones touring crew. Keef will be trying to score a vial of covid for the after party.

If SARS-CoV-2 was ever to enter Keef's body, the virions would say to one and another, ''fuck this shit, there are too many dangerous substances floating around. Let's scarper''. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, soon said:

Defunding v Dismantling is a distinction without a difference.

Defunding an organization is of course sn efficient way of demantling it. Diesel just took this semantic digression so he wouldn't have to admit that the foreign actions of the President of the USA affects other people than Americans. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, soon said:

Defunding v Dismantling is a distinction without a difference.

No it isn't. Defunding means you remove funding. Dismantling means you eradicate and remove. WHO will still survive Trump's financial withdrawal, therefore it will not be dismantled. Presumably the only people who could dismantle it are the UN themselves. 

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

And exactly how does that semantic detail invalidate my point? 

It does not really work like that though. Trump is elected to represent the American people - not me, not you, not Dazey - and will inherently do what he thinks is best for the American people (or himself); maybe he is just this stupendously dumb wanker as depicted (I suspect he probably is), but then the American electorate elected him and this is an internal American mess. Don't get me wrong: I am not saying one cannot critique President Trump from an outsider's perspective. It is just that the level of obsession from an outsider's perspective seems disproportionate here. I am yet to see similar levels of criticism for Macron, Xi Jinping - even Boris. 

Trump will have less impact on your own countries than your own elected leaders will. Fact. 

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

No it isn't. Defunding means you remove funding. Dismantling means you eradicate and remove. WHO will still survive Trump's financial withdrawal, therefore it will not be dismantled. Presumably the only people who could dismantle it are the UN themselves. 

Well, Ill go by the numbers which says otherwise.

https://www.who.int/about/finances-accountability/funding/AC_Status_Report_2020.pdf?ua=1

19 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It does not really work like that though. Trump is elected to represent the American people - not me, not you, not Dazey - and will inherently do what he thinks is best for the American people (or himself); maybe he is just this stupendously dumb wanker as depicted (I suspect he probably is), but then the American electorate elected him and this is an internal American mess. Don't get me wrong: I am not saying one cannot critique President Trump from an outsider's perspective. It is just that the level of obsession from an outsider's perspective seems disproportionate here. I am yet to see similar levels of criticism for Macron, Xi Jinping - even Boris. 

Trump will have less impact on your own countries than your own elected leaders will. Fact. 

That's under the assumption that what happens in America doesn't affect everyone else.  It's not a balanced relationship.  

What happens with America and America's role in the world has a disproportionate affect on everyone else than what happens in France or Germany.  The US is still the most powerful and important country in the world.  You're right that what Boris or Macron or Trudeau will have a larger effect on the citizens of the UK, France, and Canada in the day-to-day.  But you don't have to look too far back to see what happens when America doesn't have its house in order.  The 2008 financial disaster was America's making and it took a lot of other people down with them.

And no, Trump isn't Hitler.  But nothing Hitler did until he was invading other countries affected other citizens either.  It's absurd to think that because you're not directly affected today that you couldn't be tomorrow.  

The capacity to do good and harm by the largest global players should be a concern for everyone.  Every citizen should want competent and sane leadership in America.  

2 minutes ago, soon said:

According to what you have posted, World Health Organization will still receive 188,879,635 USD financing from 193 member states. Where does it say it is being ''dismantled''?

2 minutes ago, downzy said:

That's under the assumption that what happens in America doesn't affect everyone else.  It's not a balanced relationship.  

What happens with America and America's role in the world has a disproportionate affect on everyone else than what happens in France or Germany.  The US is still the most powerful and important country in the world.  You're right that what Boris or Macron or Trudeau will have a larger effect on the citizens of the UK, France, and Canada in the day-to-day.  But you don't have to look too far back to see what happens when America doesn't have its house in order.  The 2008 financial disaster was America's making and it took a lot of other people down with them.

And no, Trump isn't Hitler.  But nothing Hitler did until he was invading other countries affected other citizens either.  It's absurd to think that because you're not directly affected today that you couldn't be tomorrow.  

The capacity to do good and harm by the largest global players should be a concern for everyone.  Every citizen should want competent and sane leadership in America.  

It is the level of proportion I find out of flux, not that it is sometimes pertinent for outsiders to criticise America's President. Trump has become the proverbial bogey man for non-Americans of left-wing persuasions to hang their myriad of grievances, environmental, gender-race, anti-capitalistic, upon. The fact he is being blamed for dismantling WHO is a good example: Trump does not even have the power to dismantle WHO as it is United Nations body! 

I believe you are underrating the importance of those aforementioned leaders however. Macron and Merkel (who I should have mentioned) have a profoundly important role in shaping the European continent and therefore the world for instance. Boris is also important given Britain's geo-strategic-economic reach (UN Security Council, etc etc) - Trudeau also. 

• Like 1

There is also a lack of historic perspective. All that is happening in the United States right now is that the United States possesses a shit President. There is nothing new or unique about this situation. There is nothing even surprising about it. It has occurred many times, and will occur again. Haven't any of you heard of Herbert Hoover? Trump has a lot of catching-up to do if he wants to reach Hoover levels of grimness. Then you have Buchanan (build up to the Civil War), Van Buren, Fillmore (Fugitive Slave Act), Nixon, Bush Jr. There are many examples, some certainly worse than Trump. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Where does it say it is being ''dismantled''?

But no one said dismantled as it having happened and WHO being in ruins. I said that the WHO is being dismantled through Trump's actions, as in Trump being in the process of doing it. So even your semantic diversion is a logical dead-end.

26 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is the level of proportion I find out of flux, not that it is sometimes pertinent for outsiders to criticise America's President. Trump has become the proverbial bogey man for non-Americans of left-wing persuasions to hang their myriad of grievances, environmental, gender-race, anti-capitalistic, upon. The fact he is being blamed for dismantling WHO is a good example: Trump does not even have the power to dismantle WHO as it is United Nations body! 

I believe you are underrating the importance of those aforementioned leaders however. Macron and Merkel (who I should have mentioned) have a profoundly important role in shaping the European continent and therefore the world for instance. Boris is also important given Britain's geo-strategic-economic reach (UN Security Council, etc etc) - Trudeau also. 

You have such a hard-on for Trump :lol:

17 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

There is also a lack of historic perspective. All that is happening in the United States right now is that the United States possesses a shit President. There is nothing new or unique about this situation. There is nothing even surprising about it. It has occurred many times, and will occur again. Haven't any of you heard of Herbert Hoover? Trump has a lot of catching-up to do if he wants to reach Hoover levels of grimness. Then you have Buchanan (build up to the Civil War), Van Buren, Fillmore (Fugitive Slave Act), Nixon, Bush Jr. There are many examples, some certainly worse than Trump. 

To demonstrate why Trump is so dangerous I'd take Nixon as an example from that group. One major difference is the role of congress here where Nixon was effectively out on his ear as soon as Watergate broke. Even amongst his own party he was dead man walking which is how the checks and balances are supposed to work.

Trump has on numerous occasions committed acts that would have seen literally any other president in modern times drummed out of office yet congress is enabling him at every step. For the hard right it seems that control of the supreme court and tax cuts for billionaires are all far more important than fulfilling their constitutional oaths. 

• Like 1

The world health organization is gonna be fine they got China to fund them

46 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I would also say FDR in that kid as wel as Woodrow Wilson

FDR threatened to pack the courts if he didn’t get is way

Wilson was just a shit person 

The presidency has gotten to much power overall. Since FDR every president has been gaining more and more.  This did not start with Trump and will not end when he leaves office either in January if he loses or 2025 if he wins again.

Edited by Gibsonfender2323

6 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

The world health organization is gonna be fine they got China to fund them

China is invoiced for half of what the US used to pay.

China has 1.379 billion people (2016) 

USA has 323 million people (2016)

Edited by soon