Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

24 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah, that wasn't the only place where you differed from him.

I don't smoke, occasionally drink, eat a clean strict diet, and exercise every morning.  I've got a 99.99% chance of surviving if I even get the virus.  I go to work and back home.  At work I wear a respirator all day as my PPE.  I haven't gone out to dinner, haven't gone to any indoor gatherings, haven't had anyone over my house this whole time.  And I'm ok with it all.  Does it mean I'm selfish because I don't want to jump to get this vaccine?  People want this vaccine so they can get back to their normal lives.  They want it to protect themselves.  Saying we should take it to protect others sounds really heroic but in reality people want it because they're selfish.

9 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

Does it mean I'm selfish because I don't want to jump to get this vaccine?  People want this vaccine so they can get back to their normal lives.  They want it to protect themselves.  Saying we should take it to protect others sounds really heroic but in reality people want it because they're selfish.

But this wasn't about the reasons people want the vaccine, it was about you saying you don't want it. And I was just pointing out that we healthy people should take it, too, when offered, because this is about herd mentality and not me, me, me :).

Just now, Swampfox said:

Aside from our views on politics Dazey and I might have more in common than you think.

I was just joking about the fact he chose to highlight the difference in your age and not the difference in your health and smoking history.

Just now, SoulMonster said:

But this wasn't about the reasons people want the vaccine, it was about you saying you don't want it. And I was just pointing out that we healthy people should take it, too, when offered, because this is about herd mentality and not me, me, me :).

I'm not saying I'll never take it but I'll at least wait and see the long term effects before jumping to get it now.  If I was 80 years old or a life long smoker I'd feel different but like I said there's a risk/reward factor for me personally.  Just look at what happened in Australia.  They scrapped 50 million doses because people were testing positive for HIV.  They say they're false positives but I wonder what's in these vaccines that we still don't know just yet.

2 hours ago, Swampfox said:

The weak will be getting the vaccine and will be protected.  The selfish imo are the ones rushing to be first in line to get it.  Why not think of others who might need it more than yourself?

You’re dumb as fuck. 
you don’t even understand that many immunocompromised and unmunosupressed can’t get a vaccine.

Say more ridiculous things now...

12 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

Just look at what happened in Australia.  They scrapped 50 million doses because people were testing positive for HIV.  They say they're false positives but I wonder what's in these vaccines that we still don't know just yet.

They didn't scrap any doses of finished vaccine. An Australian vaccine in development was halted when it was discovered in clinical trials that its side effects were too large. That just shows us the process works. Any drugs-in-development that aren't working as they should should be stopped and not released to the markets.

And for perspective, about 95 % of all new medicines fail in development because they are either not as efficient against the disease they are supposed to treat, or displays too many and severe side effects (or a combination thereof). So it is not unexpected that some of these Covid-19 vaccines fail, too. And it is a compliment to our drug development pathways that we can discover problems with new medicines before they are rolled out and actually used on patients. In short, the system works.

And we know what is in these vaccines, contrary to what you claim. No regulatory body will approve a medicine without a thoroughly described formulation and composition. In fact, few other things in society is so well studied and defined as novel medicines. Done to its molecular counterparts. But that doesn't mean there can't be unforeseen side effects after market launch. But as long as clinical trials have been done correctly and with a large enough amount of people, any unexpected side effects will be rare.

2 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

You're real tough behind your keyboard huh?  

Can’t respond then, eh?

instead take a moment to look up New Jersey’s vaccine rollout plan and then realize that given they are prioritizing healthcare workers, then vulnerable, then other roles likes teachers, etc, etc.

Your entire dumbass arguments aren’t even rooted in reality. It’s not possible to be “selfish” and jump in line ahead of the vulnerable.

MAGAs need to shut the fuck up once and for all. 

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

They didn't scrap any doses of finished vaccine. An Australian vaccine in development was halted when it was discovered in clinical trials that its side effects were too large. That just shows us the process works. Any drugs-in-development that aren't working as they should should be stopped and not released to the markets.

And for perspective, about 95 % of all new medicines fail in development because they are either not as efficient against the disease they are supposed to treat, or displays too many and severe side effects (or a combination thereof). So it is not unexpected that some of these Covid-19 vaccines fail, too. And it is a compliment to our drug development pathways that we can discover problems with new medicines before they are rolled out and actually used on patients. In short, the system works.

And we know what is in these vaccines, contrary to what you claim. No regulatory body will approve a medicine without a thoroughly described formulation and composition. In fact, few other things in society is so well studied and defined as novel medicines. Done to its molecular counterparts. But that doesn't mean there can't be unforeseen side effects after market launch. But as long as clinical trials have been done correctly and with a large enough amount of people, any unexpected side effects will be rare.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/12/11/world/australia/uq-coronavirus-vaccine-false-positive.amp.html

So I heard about this a few days ago and Googled it.  It came up as one of the most common search results.  Today it's gone from common searches.  Why would big tech remove it?  Why would this fact be suppressed?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/12/11/world/australia/uq-coronavirus-vaccine-false-positive.amp.html

So I heard about this a few days ago and Googled it.  It came up as one of the most common search results.  Today it's gone from common searches.  Why would big tech remove it?  Why would this fact be suppressed?

So a search term becomes the top search by a democratic process of people’s searches, but it falls from being a top search because of big tech conspiracy.

Smart.

1 minute ago, Swampfox said:

News are fleeting? The "newsiness" of a medicine-in-development being abandoned is low?

Anyway, this confirms what I said: A Covid-19 vaccine-in-development was abandoned in early stages of development when it didn't work as well as hoped. It joins the fate of literally thousands of hopeful medicines that never made it through the tough process of clinical trials. If anything this should make us more confident that the vaccines that make it through, and gets approval, are safe to use.

14 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

I know I shouldn't laugh and I hope that all the people who were caught up in this are okay now but I can't help but chuckle to myself at the absurdity of some poor fucker doing their bit for the common good and coming away with (fake)AIDS for their troubles. :lol:  

14 minutes ago, soon said:

Can’t respond then, eh?

instead take a moment to look up New Jersey’s vaccine rollout plan and then realize that given they are prioritizing healthcare workers, then vulnerable, then other roles likes teachers, etc, etc.

Your entire dumbass arguments aren’t even rooted in reality. It’s not possible to be “selfish” and jump in line ahead of the vulnerable.

MAGAs need to shut the fuck up once and for all. 

I know the order of administering the vaccine you moron.  I'm in one of the first waves to get it if I choose to take it.  I'm right after the healthcare workers.  I'm declining to get it.  Why does that bother you?  Why are you so angry?

3 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I know I shouldn't laugh and I hope that all the people who were caught up in this are okay now but I can't help but chuckle to myself at the absurdity of some poor fucker doing their bit for the common good and coming away with (fake)AIDS for their troubles. :lol:  

It's horrific that people had to go through it but they did.

20 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

The Australia issue is actually very interesting according to that article. There's no suggestion that the vaccine itself was ineffective or unsafe. The reason it was halted is that it uses a protein that is also present in HIV which unfortunately causes the recipient to produce antibodies which an HIV test looks for.

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

I know you are aware of this, but just so people don't misunderstand:

What the CSL scientists in Australia did was use parts of the HIV virus to develop their Covid-19 vaccine. So their vaccine would actually be engineered to contain some structural elements originally derived for HIV. You might ask why the hell they would do that, and I would think they did it because it was easier to do than use parts from other viruses. Anyway, when test subjects were injected with this new vaccine candidate, they developed antibodies not only against SARS-CoV-2, but also against HIV. Of course there is no danger in having an immune system prepped for fighting HIV. you might even argue that it could be beneficial,, but still this was a side-effect that couldn't be accepted and the drug was abandoned at early stages of developed. Kind of funny but I feel for the poor scientists who are at fault for this. Someone lost USD 100 mill or so on this.

1 minute ago, Swampfox said:

I know the order of administering the vaccine you moron.  I'm in one of the first waves to get it if I choose to take it.  I'm right after the healthcare workers.  I'm declining to get it.  Why does that bother you?  Why are you so angry?

You can’t claim to understand the roll out and make the claim that it would be selfish to take a dose, with the idiotic and uninformed suggestion being that it would take a dose from the vulnerable. It won’t though.

It will just serve to protect the vulnerable... 

So were you talking shit while making that claim? Or are you talking shit now?

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

We have seen a sharp increase in cases in my hometown and authorities are now recommending the wearing of face masks at public spaces. This is a first.

Masks have only been mandatory here in public spaces since December first. I don't know why it took them so long. We have been in a ''light'' lockdown since October with only bars and restaurants being closed and less people allowed to visit at home. But like I said, starting tomorrow almost everything will be shut down again except for essential stores, because numbers are getting out of control again.

It's horrific that people had to go through it but they did.

Had to go through what? They suffered no other side effects than having their immune system being armed to also fight HIV in addition to Covid-19. Hardly the worst of fates. Still, there are practical implications of having an immune system ready to fight HIV, it signals that you have already had an HIV infection and hence that you would test positive for HIV if tested if using test kits targeted against those specific antibodies. And that's a bit of a nuisance. Still, they are aware of this now and will simply have to use different test kits if they ever have to test if they are infected with HIV in the future.

I mean, considering all the things that can wrong in clinical trials, and have gone wrong in the passed, ending up as a false positive for HIV can hardly be considered a tragedy. For perspective, people may die when being included in clinical trials if the drug really underperforms.

Just now, soon said:

You can’t claim to understand the roll out and make the claim that it would be selfish to take a dose, with the idiotic and uninformed suggestion being that it would take a dose from the vulnerable. It won’t though.

It will just serve to protect the vulnerable... 

So were you talking shit while making that claim? Or are you talking shit now?

You're really dense this morning.  I said people that are jumping at the first opportunity to take the vaccine aren't doing it for the greater good.  They're taking it because they want to protect themselves from getting it.  Read nice and slow before you go into one of your little piss ant rants again.

3 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

You're really dense this morning.  I said people that are jumping at the first opportunity to take the vaccine aren't doing it for the greater good.  They're taking it because they want to protect themselves from getting it.  Read nice and slow before you go into one of your little piss ant rants again.

Nah. 

Also, those who choose to interact with him who are not calling out his bullshit,  are also part of the problem.

Edited by soon