Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

There are close to 500 children who are in the hospital with covid.  How scary and sad is this?

Having a vaccine is good, but not good enough to cure all these kids and other patients. We've lost close to 2,000 people in two days.

So many people will have to live with this trauma for the rest of their lives. It's still unreal sometimes.

13 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

There are close to 500 children who are in the hospital with covid.  How scary and sad is this?

1/10 scary and 3/10 sad. Don't get me wrong, every child in the hospital is sad, but how many thousand children are hospitalised due to leukemia and other comparatively more terrible diseases? We got to keep some perspective here. 

And lighten up, a vaccine is coming. What I would like for you is balancing the doom & gloom posts a bit with the good stuff, or at least ease up a bit when there is reason for it. Life can be terrible, especially if we can't appreciate all that is good or getting better :)

• Like 1

One of my best friends messaged me this morning to tell me his mum had passed away from coronavirus. The first person I know personally to have been taken by the pandemic. She was a lovely lady, and still young, his little brother's only 14 too, devastating news.

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Reading into this further, my mother will not be able to take the Pfizer vaccine as she gets anaphylaxis (from penicillin) so that is the end of that one.

And this is exactly why we others should take the vaccine - to help through herd immunity. Let's do it for Diesel's granny.

2 hours ago, sliverjazz said:

Sorry guys if this sounds bad and im making this a DragonBall Z episode... BUT...

we got the vaccine flowing now- cant we start opening the frikin' world back up know and ditch the masks?

No, we can't go back to normality before enough people have been vaccinated so that the virus stops spreading (=herd immunity). 

And here's a somber thought: We don't know at the moment if the vaccines will prevent spread of the virus. We know they cause the production of anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in our bodies, leading to immunity. But we don't know how long that immunity will last nor whether we can still spread the virus while being immune to its disease.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sliverjazz said:

Sorry guys if this sounds bad and im making this a DragonBall Z episode... BUT...

we got the vaccine flowing now- cant we start opening the frikin' world back up know and ditch the masks?

Dragon Ball Z is all about teamwork.

So lets make this a Dragon Ball Z episode and learn to work together. To beat this thing in due course. Which sadly, aint as soon as we'd like.

Masks, closures and distancing is that winning teamwork :headbang:

This pandemic raises some interesting questions regarding vaccination order. Who should be vaccinated first?

- Those with the highest probability to die if infected? (Mostly the oldest people, who are likely to die "soon" anyway).

- Those subpopulations where the disease is most prevalent? (In Norway, most common in immigrants groups, among both young and elderly).

- Health personnel and other people in critical occupations? (Since it costs society most if they are away from work).

- People in their 50s? (Calculations show that we then save the most life years because they are more likely to die than young people but still have many years ahead of them).

Tricky, tricky, tricky :)

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

This pandemic raises some interesting questions regarding vaccination order. Who should be vaccinated first?

- Those with the highest probability to die if infected? (Mostly the oldest people, who are likely to die "soon" anyway).

- Those subpopulations where the disease is most prevalent? (In Norway, most common in immigrants groups, among both young and elderly).

- Health personnel and other people in critical occupations? (Since it costs society most if they are away from work).

- People in their 50s? (Calculations show that we then save the most life years because they are more likely to die than young people but still have many years ahead of them).

Tricky, tricky, tricky :)

The ones most likely to die of it and the ones most exposed to it, i.e. doctors and nurses and all that.

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

The ones most likely to die of it and the ones most exposed to it, i.e. doctors and nurses and all that.

Yes, that's how I would choose, too. But I see how one could argue differently. You can theoretically save more lives by first vaccinating the groups that contain the most infections, to reduce total infections in society which will benefit those most likely to die. But I agree.

On 10/12/2020 at 5:57 PM, soon said:

“Hate” is a strong word which I reserve solely for Rian Johnson.

(so, wait, your post was about covid??)

Add me on the list for a strong dislike of Rian Johnson.

Took an OK start to the sequel trilogy, and flushed it down the toilet. Poor story telling, little world building, and so many things that make no sense. 

I'm one of those crazy fans that wished Disney used George's outlines for the sequels. Couldn't have been much worse than what we got. Of course I loved the prequels, and originals of course.

The Disney damage has been done, but at least The Mandalorian is helping makeup for how bad the sequels were. I hope we get the awesome Luke action we deserve eventually. 

• GNFNR 1

26 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Add me on the list for a strong dislike of Rian Johnson.

Took an OK start to the sequel trilogy, and flushed it down the toilet. Poor story telling, little world building, and so many things that make no sense. 

I'm one of those crazy fans that wished Disney used George's outlines for the sequels. Couldn't have been much worse than what we got. Of course I loved the prequels, and originals of course.

The Disney damage has been done, but at least The Mandalorian is helping makeup for how bad the sequels were. I hope we get the awesome Luke action we deserve eventually. 

Agreed about the Lucas outlines! What could have been! Maybe they could novelize them one day? Just not as the sequels.

To be a Star Wars fan and a Guns fan is painful. Its just a bunch of "what could have beens" :facepalm:

I dont hate TROS either. Ive only seen it a handful of times - so it benefits from a "yay star wars" vibe still for me.

I love Clone Wars too, so Mando is extra cool on that level to me. And tomorrow there a slim chance we see Luke!! But more likely Ezra from Rebels. Maybe Mace?

But yeah, we need and deserve a proper Luke action one day! 

22 minutes ago, soon said:

Agreed about the Lucas outlines! What could have been! Maybe they could novelize them one day? Just not as the sequels.

To be a Star Wars fan and a Guns fan is painful. Its just a bunch of "what could have beens" :facepalm:

I dont hate TROS either. Ive only seen it a handful of times - so it benefits from a "yay star wars" vibe still for me.

I love Clone Wars too, so Mando is extra cool on that level to me. And tomorrow there a slim chance we see Luke!! But more likely Ezra from Rebels. Maybe Mace?

But yeah, we need and deserve a proper Luke action one day! 

The Lucas outlines apparently took place closer to the events of ROTJ, with Maul being the primary villain, with Luke rebuilding the Jedi Order with the help of some surviving prequel era Jedi. I'm hoping some ideas for future content in the timeline around that time are used.

I really, really hope it is Mace!

One of these days I need to watch all of the cartoon series. I've seen the old Cartoon Network shorts (2002-2003?) and loved those.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

The Lucas outlines apparently took place closer to the events of ROTJ, with Maul being the primary villain, with Luke rebuilding the Jedi Order with the help of some surviving prequel era Jedi. I'm hoping some ideas for future content in the timeline around that time are used.

I really, really hope it is Mace!

One of these days I need to watch all of the cartoon series. I've seen the old Cartoon Network shorts (2002-2003?) and loved those.

Oh they could totally use Lucas' outlines then. And it would be fantastic! Maybe with de aged Hamill?

Im hoping for Mace too, for many reasons including that he killed Bobas dad, Jango. Would be dynamic!!

Yeah, those shorts are cool! Clone Wars takes until season 3 for it to become self aware that its much more than a typical childrens cartoon. It gets really deep. And so much more of the force is explored. Rich lore. So good that its all over mando. I like Rebels, but cartoons arent ultimately my jam. Clone Wars is just that good!

25 minutes ago, soon said:

Oh they could totally use Lucas' outlines then. And it would be fantastic! Maybe with de aged Hamill?

Im hoping for Mace too, for many reasons including that he killed Bobas dad, Jango. Would be dynamic!!

Yeah, those shorts are cool! Clone Wars takes until season 3 for it to become self aware that its much more than a typical childrens cartoon. It gets really deep. And so much more of the force is explored. Rich lore. So good that its all over mando. I like Rebels, but cartoons arent ultimately my jam. Clone Wars is just that good!

Same here! (With some exceptions) I'm going to do my best to minimize my social media tomorrow to avoid spoilers for the season finale of Mando. All these pricks have spoilers in thumbnails and titles!

• GNFNR 1