Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

What if a corona strain offers resistance towards vaccines? You are either going to have to perpetually stay in these lockdowns/tiers/bollocks, or basically live with it (how one lives with influenza). 

It is absolutely a possibility that the virus will evolve to not be affected by current vaccines. Then we might have the same situation as we have with the flu, where we continuously develop new vaccines against the new virus variants. Hopefully the Covid-19 virus will not be able to mutate to avoid vaccines as quickly as the flu virus does, but we don't know yet.

Still, it is unlikely that lockdowns will continue indefinitely, even if the virus quickly evolves. We will likely always have new vaccines that confer a temporary immunity, and gradually herd immunity will develop giving us an additional layer of protection.

Then it is possible that Covid-19 heralds a new era where we touch each other less (less handshakes, less hugs, less kisses on the cheeks) and where we become better at staying at home when sick.

• Like 1

Yip, Boris overplayed his hand. This guy echoes my own thoughts,

Judging from the latest press conference, I honestly don't think Boris/cabinet thought for one second that the unveiling of a mutant strand would lead to countries' boycotting the United Kingdom (or Brexit two weeks beforehand as you could call it haha). The government feel that they were being transparent and open and seem genuinely shocked (and no doubt a bit insulted) that other countries should do this. After all, they deem it, a mutant strand was found in Spain also. 

(NB., for the usual suspects: no this is neither an endorsement nor condemnation of countries' response but merely my interpretation of the British governments actions, so save your arguments.)

PS

Boris is looking more haggered by the day. It ages you, that job, Prime Minister - like alcohol and sun. Remember when Blair arrived looking fresh-faced and subsequently aged about forty years in the space of a couple of years? 

Edited by DieselDaisy

Damn now the UK has a new covid strain. This virus never stops mutating. Unreal.

Of course doctors recommend people stay home for the holidays, but of course airports in America are full. I think they may have to take a covid test before they fly, but who knows?

The next group of people to get the vaccine are 75 and over. I know this is wrong to say, but honestly, 75 and over? How long do these people intend to live? I think younger people should get the vaccine after the doctors and nurses and other essential people. I think that makes more sense.

Anyway, it'll probably be months before every group of people in the US get vaccinated. This will seem like forever waiting for this vaccine.

8 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

It is absolutely a possibility that the virus will evolve to not be affected by current vaccines. Then we might have the same situation as we have with the flu, where we continuously develop new vaccines against the new virus variants. Hopefully the Covid-19 virus will not be able to mutate to avoid vaccines as quickly as the flu virus does, but we don't know yet.

Still, it is unlikely that lockdowns will continue indefinitely, even if the virus quickly evolves. We will likely always have new vaccines that confer a temporary immunity, and gradually herd immunity will develop giving us an additional layer of protection.

Then it is possible that Covid-19 heralds a new era where we touch each other less (less handshakes, less hugs, less kisses on the cheeks) and where we become better at staying at home when sick.

Well, there always seems to be a new strain of flu every year too. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that covid is doing the same thing. I just hope and pray these vaccines help all strains.  I'm still going to wear a mask and distance myself for a long time to come. 

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yip, Boris overplayed his hand. This guy echoes my own thoughts,

Judging from the latest press conference, I honestly don't think Boris/cabinet thought for one second that the unveiling of a mutant strand would lead to countries' boycotting the United Kingdom (or Brexit two weeks beforehand as you could call it haha). The government feel that they were being transparent and open and seem genuinely shocked (and no doubt a bit insulted) that other countries should do this. After all, they deem it, a mutant strand was found in Spain also. 

(NB., for the usual suspects: no this is neither an endorsement nor condemnation of countries' response but merely my interpretation of the British governments actions, so save your arguments.)

PS

Boris is looking more haggered by the day. It ages you, that job, Prime Minister - like alcohol and sun. Remember when Blair arrived looking fresh-faced and subsequently aged about forty years in the space of a couple of years? 

When I watched the news conference this afternoon i was thinking that boris looked rough.

I think its utter madness that only parts of England will be in lockdown.

Edited by BrayWyatt

25 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

They want to vaccinate the elderly people because they are the main ones needing to be hospitalized. Them getting the shot will greatly help our healthcare capacity in the US.

Well if you shot them it would indeed free up capacity in the hospitals. :lol: 

• Haha 2

Majority of the lorry drivers in Dover are French and/or EU citizens stranded there by Macron's imbecility! A related development however is that dogging has gone through the roof in Kent.

8 hours ago, BrayWyatt said:

When I watched the news conference this afternoon i was thinking that boris looked rough.

I think its utter madness that only parts of England will be in lockdown.

For ''Tier 4'' read ''lockdown'' - it is spin - and tier 3 is borderline lockdown irrespective (pubs/restaurants shut). Much of the country is in those two categories. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Majority of the lorry drivers in Dover are French and/or EU citizens stranded there by Macron's imbecility! A related development however is that dogging has gone through the roof in Kent.

For ''Tier 4'' read ''lockdown'' - it is spin - and tier 3 is borderline lockdown irrespective (pubs/restaurants shut). Much of the country is in those two categories. 

I was saying to Len yesterday that as far as I see it there's two tiers. Pubs open and pubs shut.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

There is no such thing as Britain without her pubs. It just ceases to exist as a country.

Even tier 2 isn't really pubs open any more with all this "substantial meal" nonsense. I don't think we're going to be back to proper normal(ish) until Easter at the earliest.

2 hours ago, Dazey said:

Well that didn't work out very well.

I’ve got a close buddy who, back in October and November, texted me literally every day or two, pointing out that Sweden, with its lax response to the outbreak, wasn’t seeing skyrocketing daily case and death totals most experts were predicting. He’s a waiter at a swanky restaurant in Toronto and has taken to anti-mask and lock down conspiracies to justify his positions that everything should open.

So am I glad to see Sweden struggle?  No.

But am I happy to send this article to him this morning?  You betcha. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well we all now know that sticking your todger up a sheep's jacksie is the true causes for coroney,

Ep2J8M3WwAEZEAA?format=jpg&name=medium

I'd like to see yhe wanker Drakeford try and ban that, people need to be with their families this time of year after all.

Its all cyclical though isn't it in the UK I find it hard to keep up with where it is fucked from one day to the next. Manchester was bad then Scotland had a wobble and London was fine. But now I see on the news that London is plague central now.